Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool The most original and interesting offerings from Roja Parfums

Hi Folk,

So, I'm actually seeking for your advice on 2 questions:
    First, If you had to choose, would you invest in 3x - 2ml (around 100$) or for the same price 5x - 1ml...

Ok, now the most important question:

2.What are the most original and/or interesting offerings from Roja Parfums to sample?

I will never buy a retail bottle nor a decant. My conscious just wouldn't allow it, not matter how much I love it.
    Thus, I'm not specifically looking to purchase a sample with the idea to buy a bottle afterward. I am looking to have an olfactory experience that can open new doors.
    It does have to be wearable though, although I believe most of them should be (unlike Secretion Magnifique by EldO for instance -sure some of you would wear it, no judgement!).

Thanks for the tips!
    Good day/

Default Re: The most original and interesting offerings from Roja Parfums

5 1ml would be my advice, as the line has quite a few interesting perfumes worth exploring. You would get a better variety of experiences, rather than more repeated shots at the same experience, if that makes sense.

With Roja, many of his creations are arguably high-end recreations of existing classics. All but a couple of the Roja Parfums I own are not original. Danger smells like Guerlain Heritage, but (don't shoot me) better IMO. Vetiver smells like the Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver, but better IMO. Reckless smells an awful lot like Clive Christian X. Scandal smells like vintage Eau Sauvage. Fetish smells like Bel Ami. Oligarch smells like Terre d'Hermes. Elysium smells like a number of generic designer release, but better quality than most designers. So I will avoid suggesting these and some of my favorites that simply aren't "original." Below are five that I have worn a lot and feel are unique and worth exploring.

1. Enigma Pour Homme Parfum
    2. Sultanate of Oman
    3. Amber Aoud
    4. Sweetie Aoud
    5. 51 Pour Homme Parfum

Quote Originally Posted by Jcelello View Post
    5 1ml would be my advice, as the line has quite a few interesting perfumes worth exploring. You would get a better variety of experiences, rather than more repeated shots at the same experience, if that makes sense.

With Roja, many of his creations are arguably high-end recreations of existing classics. All but a couple of the Roja Parfums I own are not original. Danger smells like Guerlain Heritage, but (don't shoot me) better IMO. Vetiver smells like the Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver, but better IMO. Reckless smells an awful lot like Clive Christian X. Scandal smells like vintage Eau Sauvage. Fetish smells like Bel Ami. Oligarch smells like Terre d'Hermes. Elysium smells like a number of generic designer release, but better quality than most designers. So I will avoid suggesting these and some of my favorites that simply aren't "original." Below are five that I have worn a lot and feel are unique and worth exploring.

2. Sultanate of Oman
    3. Amber Aoud
    4. Sweetie Aoud
    5. 51 Pour Homme Parfum
    Ill add Musk Aoud and Aoud to this list as fairly unique offerings. Aoud is kind of a rose oud but with a lot more going on, particularly rhubarb. Musk Aoud, is simply my favorite. I also love Diaghilev but some would say its fairly similar to vintage Mitsouko, which i get a little bit.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Diaghilev perhaps.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

2. Sultanate of Oman
    3. Amber Aoud
    4. Sweetie Aoud
    5. 51 Pour Homme Parfum
    This was a very thoughtful response. I quite enjoyed reading it even though I'm not the thread starter. I just had my nose on my very first Roja last week (Elysium) and am smitten. Super curious about his other offerings now. Thank-you

Thanks for the input you all! I am super pleased that you could understand my inquiry (spot on!)
    I just dreadfully realised that if i go 1ml, I go dabbers

Any thoughts on the Parfums de la nuit series?

Quote Originally Posted by ImaFedec View Post
    Thanks for the input you all! I am super pleased that you could understand my inquiry (spot on!)

I feel you on the dabbers. I was going to place an order for a few of these from Luckyscent and then realized they are all dabbers. Does anyone know of a decent decant site that overs 2-5ml spray vials for Roja's line? My guy in Canada shut down shop for the next few months and I am not familiar with any others. Thanks!

EDIT: I really wanna try Elysium Parfum before putting my hard-earned money down for the poor performing Cologne version (which I love, scent-wise).

PDLN 1 and 2 are my favorites, but that wont be what most people will say, theyll say 3 is the best. Its definitely the most mass-appealing. 1 and 2 to my nose both have a lot of civet. Like most RDs, they all have a LOT going on.

Scent split offers spray samples, but one thing you could do is still go for the dabbers but order some cheap 2ml atomiser from ebay or amazon or wherever and just dump them in. Thats what i do.

Sweetie Aoud is definitely quite unique and must be tried. I love H the Exclusive Aoud and PDLN 3.

Agree with Jcell, get as many varieties as you can.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Zadig & Voltaire This is Him!
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

Too many to mention

Quote Originally Posted by Latency View Post
    I feel you on the dabbers. I was going to place an order for a few of these from Luckyscent and then realized they are all dabbers. Does anyone know of a decent decant site that overs 2-5ml spray vials for Roja's line? My guy in Canada shut down shop for the next few months and I am not familiar with any others. Thanks!

EDIT: I really wanna try Elysium Parfum before putting my hard-earned money down for the poor performing Cologne version (which I love, scent-wise).
    I too loath dabbers. I don't know if they can deliver to Canada, but Fragrancesline.com has become a go to for me. Pretty in depth with most niche. Slightly light on designers.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.
    Currently wearing: Herod by Parfums de Marly

dupe post
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.
    Currently wearing: Herod by Parfums de Marly

Quote Originally Posted by Latency View Post

Beverly Hills Perfumery in Hollywood has 2ml spray vials for their Roja Samples.

Sorry missed your post. Beverly HIlls Perfumery also offers 1ml sample sprays. He also throws in 4 samples of your choice for free with a purchase of a bottle. So that's also a good way to sample and experience a brand.

The PDNL line is pretty unique as well, they are darker than his other fragrnces and 1-2 are a bit resinous, 1 being more on the animalic size and 2 has a bit of booze with a rum note added. 3 is the most popular, but is a lighter take on leather. If you compare it side by side with Sweetie Aoud, you may notice some similarities between both of them.

As for unique offerings, apart from a handful of common ones listed above, most of his offerings are unique. Try as many as you can afford to (for free preferably) and then decide on what you want to purchase.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

2. Sultanate of Oman
    3. Amber Aoud
    4. Sweetie Aoud
    5. 51 Pour Homme Parfum
    Agree with this post based on what I've tried. I love Diaghilev, but supposedly it's a copy of Mitsouko (which I haven't tried properly). Definitely recommend Enigma pour Homme Parfum.
    Currently wearing: Prada L'Homme by Prada

I have never tried Mistsouko, so Diaghilev still is a strong contender in my sampling choice since it is quite often mentioned
    I'm still debating with 1 or 2ml. Now I'm thinking to space a bit: 1x - 2ml sample along cheaper sample from other brands (still have many to try).
    Will probably take me about a year to try 5 in that rythmus but I'm in no hurry

I have never tried Mistsouko, so Diaghilev still is a strong contender in my sampling choice since it is quite often mentioned
    I'm still debating with 1 or 2ml. Now I'm thinking to space a bit: 1x - 2ml sample along cheaper sample from other brands (still have many to try).
    Will probably take me about a year to try 5 in that rythmus but I'm in no hurry
    Where do you live? Are you sure there isnt a stockist within driving distance to you?

Quote Originally Posted by papillo View Post
    Where do you live? Are you sure there isnt a stockist within driving distance to you?
    I haven't seen any no, I live in Brussel - Belgium. The only store that was listed as retailer on Roja webpage, in Brussel, does not have any anymore

A Midsummer Dream is very polarizing, some love it some do not like it I find. To me it does, in fact, smell "like a dream", There is a fizziness to it and a magic powder dry effect that is very joyful to wear for me. Smells like Puck himself keeps a bag of this in a pouch at his hip.

Hi Folk,

So, I'm actually seeking for your advice on 2 questions:
    First, If you had to choose, would you invest in 3x - 2ml (around 100$) or for the same price 5x - 1ml...

Ok, now the most important question:

2.What are the most original and/or interesting offerings from Roja Parfums to sample?

I will never buy a retail bottle nor a decant. My conscious just wouldn't allow it, not matter how much I love it.
    Thus, I'm not specifically looking to purchase a sample with the idea to buy a bottle afterward. I am looking to have an olfactory experience that can open new doors.
    It does have to be wearable though, although I believe most of them should be (unlike Secretion Magnifique by EldO for instance -sure some of you would wear it, no judgement!).

Thanks for the tips!
    Good day/
    1. I wouldn't pay more than £5 per ml for any sample. So given that you're looking to spend around $20 per ml...that's about 3x more than I'd recomend speding. You call it 'investing'. It's not investing. If you can afford to blow that money, go for it.

2. I don't find originality to be anywhere near Roja. His style appears to releasing retro/vintage fragrances and bumping up the oil content while trying to smooth out the aroma.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    1. I wouldn't pay more than £5 per ml for any sample. So given that you're looking to spend around $20 per ml...that's about 3x more than I'd recomend speding. You call it 'investing'. It's not investing. If you can afford to blow that money, go for it.

2. I don't find originality to be anywhere near Roja. His style appears to releasing retro/vintage fragrances and bumping up the oil content while trying to smooth out the aroma.
    Id genuinely love to know something similar to Midsummer's fwiw, there is no other agenda for my comment. Thank you

$100 for 5ml is insane!

I’m a Roja fan but you know you can get 7.5ml atomisers from their website for £40-60? Shipping is free within the UK so not sure about the rest of the world but the prices you are considering sound crazy to me

I understand and agree to some extent. I guess I am bit victim of marketing here but it is intriguing since many praise the quality (better be for that price)
    I would never consider buying this kind of money for a fragrance if I had any way to sample in store.
    Not sure what you mean when you say I call it "investing." It is clearly not it is just sheer curiosity and seeking a sort of different olfactory experience (obv I would be very disappointed if I purchase, sample and it wasn't the case). I cannot afford for a bottle nor a decant that is for sure (and I am ok with it )

I understand and agree to some extent. I guess I am bit victim of marketing here but it is intriguing since many praise the quality (better be for that price)
    I would never consider buying this kind of money for a fragrance if I had any way to sample in store.
    Not sure what you mean when you say I call it "investing." It is clearly not it is just sheer curiosity and seeking a sort of different olfactory experience (obv I would be very disappointed if I purchase, sample and it wasn't the case). I cannot afford for a bottle nor a decant that is for sure (and I am ok with it )
    I was just referring to your own use of the term 'invest'. If you think it will be a worthwhile 'investment' of your money, then consider the prospect that you'll be totally underwhelmed by the fragrances, and even dislike them. That's a possibility. Also, you can't really sell a sample like you can a bottle, and you can't keep them so they appreciate in price like you can with a bottle, so in that sense, again, I wouldn't think of them as good 'investments'. In this way, I'd think of sampling more as...gambling, almost. Are you happy to pay some money to spin the wheel and potentially experience some really nice (or really bad, or somewhere in between) fragrances? If so, and if you're happy with a $100 stake, then go for it. However, I would not do so if you think you're going to experience fragrances that are definitively 'better quality' than their competition, let alone being X better, with X being correlated to the price difference. If you're comparing, let's say, a $500 Roja, to a $50 designer, don't think it will literally be 10x better. This is a trick of the mind, and of marketing, to expect/hope for that.

With all that said, if you're happy to do all that, then go for it. At the very least, you develop reference points, and may well find you like or love most or all of them. I can see there was just a bit of confusion on your terminology, that's all. No worries.

Quote Originally Posted by BlindFuryFragFanatic View Post
    Id genuinely love to know something similar to Midsummer's fwiw, there is no other agenda for my comment. Thank you
    Quite possibly there isn't, I haven't tried that - I'm basing my judgement on my admittedly limited experience with the 6-7 fragrances of his I've actually tried!

Quite possibly there isn't, I haven't tried that - I'm basing my judgement on my admittedly limited experience with the 6-7 fragrances of his I've actually tried!
    Was worth a try, thank you. Too expensive for me but it is magnificent.

I was just referring to your own use of the term 'invest'. If you think it will be a worthwhile 'investment' of your money, then consider the prospect that you'll be totally underwhelmed by the fragrances, and even dislike them. That's a possibility. Also, you can't really sell a sample like you can a bottle, and you can't keep them so they appreciate in price like you can with a bottle, so in that sense, again, I wouldn't think of them as good 'investments'. In this way, I'd think of sampling more as...gambling, almost. Are you happy to pay some money to spin the wheel and potentially experience some really nice (or really bad, or somewhere in between) fragrances? If so, and if you're happy with a $100 stake, then go for it. However, I would not do so if you think you're going to experience fragrances that are definitively 'better quality' than their competition, let alone being X better, with X being correlated to the price difference. If you're comparing, let's say, a $500 Roja, to a $50 designer, don't think it will literally be 10x better. This is a trick of the mind, and of marketing, to expect/hope for that.

With all that said, if you're happy to do all that, then go for it. At the very least, you develop reference points, and may well find you like or love most or all of them. I can see there was just a bit of confusion on your terminology, that's all. No worries.
    You're right I did use the word investment. Poor choice of word. Idk, for me sampling always was a bit of gambling in itself. I has sample purchase around 60-70 dollars (but with I 10 fragrances) where I disliked half. Will think about it, I'm in no hurry it was more greedy curiosity than anything else. I have a huge list of fragrance to put my nose first for cheaper (Bogue MEM and MAAI, the kilians, some "parle moi de parfum", Naomi Goodsir, Masque Milano, Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier, Francesca Bianchi and many more!).

I appreciate all your views (all of you)!

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

You're right I did use the word investment. Poor choice of word. Idk, for me sampling always was a bit of gambling in itself. I has sample purchase around 60-70 dollars (but with I 10 fragrances) where I disliked half. Will think about it, I'm in no hurry it was more greedy curiosity than anything else. I have a huge list of fragrance to put my nose first for cheaper (Bogue MEM and MAAI, the kilians, some "parle moi de parfum", Naomi Goodsir, Masque Milano, Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier, Francesca Bianchi and many more!).

I appreciate all your views (all of you)!
    Avoid this brand, you're good with the rest.
    Currently wearing: Prada L'Homme by Prada

Okay I feel this is a good thread to post in order to not create a new redundant thread. But I also don‘t want to hijack it, I am just curious:

I got my hands on a 5ml decant of Roja Elysium and I am seriously underwhelmed. On my arm it smells only of Vetiver, almost nothing else. I can‘t see the Aventus comparison at all and I am missing all the other supposed notes.

Could it be I was tricked (although the seller seems serious, gets good recommendations and offers lots of decants commercially. And for 15 bucks I doubt he is trying to trick people)? Or was it maybe from an old bottle? Or is my nose simply not picking up the magic that Elysium is supposed to be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by papillo View Post
    Beverly Hills Perfumery in Hollywood has 2ml spray vials for their Roja Samples.
    Agreed they will take care of your needs with samples

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk