Code of Conduct
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bzios Brasil

Default Latest Clive Christian - Matsukita!

https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...=1#post5130848

Have European Basenoters tried this one yet? Thoughts positive and/or negative?

Just blind bought it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Im not old, Im vintage.

Default Re: Latest Clive Christian - Matsukita!

I have the 1990s Crown Matsukita. I'll be looking forward to comparing it with the CC version.

Notes look interesting. I'm curious to know what others think of it once it becomes available.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    I have the 1990s Crown Matsukita. I'll be looking forward to comparing it with the CC version.
    Interesting. Didn't realize that there was an earlier version under a different house name.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Its part of the crown collection. It would be interesting to do a side-by-side comparison with the discontinued Crown Matsukita.

https://www.clivechristian.com/product/matsukita/

https://www.basenotes.net/ID10210942.html
    Let your nose be your pilot

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Just blind bought it.
    Haha! Not like you hednic...!

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this - 252 ingredients and a 25% perfume concentration certainly sounds very interesting.

Im not old, Im vintage.

Interesting. Didn't realize that there was an earlier version under a different house name.
    That will be the case with the entire Crown Collection: it’s all based (however loosely) on Crown Perfumery scents. The 1990s ones were ostensibly faithful reproductions of the original fragrances from around the turn of the 20th century, although there’s not much that survives from then to compare. Matsukita is one of the oldest Crown scents (1892), and like Crab Apple Blossoms (1886) was originally feminine. But, unlike the 1990s versions, CC’s “reimagining” is unisex.

Crown is a big part of why I’m at BN. I was a fan of a couple of Clive Christian’s earliest issues (1872 and X), and then learned that CC had entered perfumery by purchasing Crown Perfumery from Barry Gibson. So, I went down the Crown rabbit hole, collecting fragrances and information, the latter pursuit leading me here. I have almost all the Gibson-era Crowns, and a couple of pre-WWI originals. (The Great War was a contributor to the decline of the original Crown Perfumery, which languished after its sale to William Gossage in the 1920s and withered away to nothing at Lever Bros/Unilever in the 1930s. Gibson discovered the portfolio, including the original formulae, gathering dust in Unilever’s archives.)

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    That will be the case with the entire Crown Collection: it’s all based (however loosely) on Crown Perfumery scents. The 1990s ones were ostensibly faithful reproductions of the original fragrances from around the turn of the 20th century, although there’s not much that survives from then to compare. Matsukita is one of the oldest Crown scents (1892), and like Crab Apple Blossoms (1886) was originally feminine. But, unlike the 1990s versions, CC’s “reimagining” is unisex.
    I see. Never collected Clive Christian before 2007 so I guess I never paid attention to its evolving history.

Im not old, Im vintage.

I see. Never collected Clive Christian before 2007 so I guess I never paid attention to its evolving history.
    I probably got into CC around the same time: I can’t recall when my wife bought me the gift set that kicked off my collection. Anyway, it couldn’t have been much earlier, as CC bought Crown in 1999 and didn’t release anything under its own name until 2001. CC’s PR materials talk about how they’ve been making fragrances since 1872, but CC had nothing to do with that. Clive Christian’s daughter found an old Crown bottle under the floorboards while they were renovating his house, and that led to Clive buying Crown from Gibson. Instant pedigree!