Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: What are you going to do, following Creed 20% planned increase?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • I will keep buying my favs, independently of pricing

22 22.22%
  • I am a reg customer, but this time it's a no-go

4 4.04%
  • I will stock up and give up after the increase

6 6.06%
  • I don't have any Creed FB, was looking at one, but it's a no for me

3 3.03%
  • I will go anyways forward with my planned purchase of my 1st bottle

0 0%
  • I like a few Creed, but I find current pricing already ridiculous

40 40.40%
  • I don't care about any fragrance of Creed

23 23.23%
  • I don't know any other than Aventus, and will keep buying it

1 1.01%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: 2021: Creed buys the pot... all in or fold?

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    There isn't a vote that covers my answer so I'll put it here.

I'd continue to look for discounts as I have in the past for the remaining Creeds I want, but that's it.
    Yeah, I can never imagine paying full retail. There are still really good deals to be had. I picked up a full 2011 bottle of Royal Oud for 130 last year. Prob the best deal I've ever received on a frag.
    "No one wants advice - only corroboration." - John Steinbeck
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    Personally, this comes across as a desperate grab at maintaining lux relevancy. Since 2010, there have been so many lux brands that are doing things better where people are getting more bang from their buck that, in some cases, those who can't keep up in terms of quality try to reinforce the façade by raising prices even higher. We've seen the tricks: repackage in 100ml and charge nearly the same as before or more. We've smelled the difference: batch variations continue to be an issue. There are some Creeds I love and will probably always have a bottle of, but honestly, there are just too many other companies out there producing higher quality scents with better longevity and better packaging (if that matters) for better prices that are worth paying retail for.
    Quoted for truth
    Currently wearing: Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Independent of pricing? If a fragrance was £10m would you buy it? Like any other product you see if it meets your own criteria and you decide if you move forward with it. Some people are going to gush over anything that is new, others vintage, some Creed, some ALD and so on. At a certain time Creed had a product that I would be happy to buy - I liked the scent and previous pricing was not exorbitant. A gradual removal of ingredients that has altered scent profiles of some of my favourites and annual price increases have put me off many of their offerings, but if I find a reasonable deal on a bottle I still think works for me I’ll consider it.

Creed have got themselves into a strange situation. The price keeps rising while the quality of the scents keep declining. Perhaps the price increases are causing a decrease in sales so they're having to use cheaper ingredients in their fragrances?

Do we know if this price rise is a creed driven price rise?

Nose have already started charging extra for any fragrance shipped to the uk on top of any VAT issues.

Are creed prices in high street stores going up by the same amount?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark.B View Post

Nose have already started charging extra for any fragrance shipped to the uk on top of any VAT issues.

I think that's what's been assumed but not verified. It'd be good to get confirmation, especially with all the comments in here based on that assumption.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Fragrance du Bois Sahraa Oud
    4. Mugler Over the Musk
    5. Carner Fig Man
    Currently wearing: Epic Man by Amouage

It's greed-drive for sure.

Sorry, someone had to...
    Currently wearing: Ébène by Pierre Balmain

Basenotes Plus

I've smelled just about every Creed which include many discontinued ones. I have bought backups for the ones that I think a synthetic reform would ruin. IMO, although I love Royal Oud, there are some other more cheap scents in that genre that are just as great for much less money. I will be replacing Royal Oud someday with L'Occitane Eau des Baux and I will also buy the Catie's Bubbles Le Piment de La Vie eau de cologne spray. I will see how that goes. I will probably only buy it again if I feel like I miss it after its gone.

I won't rule out buying a future Creed fragrance that is new, not a flanker, and impresses. I can't say it's impossible that I could buy a future Creed scent.
    Currently wearing: Beach Hut Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by Mark.B View Post

Nose is a famous niche bricks and mortar store located in Paris. The prices they display on their website are the same as the ones for in-store purchases at Nose directly, that is: the full retail price for Creed frags in France.
    Creed is not as popular in France as much as US or UK, and were always less expensive in France compared to other countries.
    Currently wearing: Symphonie-Passion by Unum

I'm pretty sure I bought everything I want from Creed years ago, so I haven't been keeping up with the price increases and reformulation complaints. Frankly I think all of that is exhausting. Personally, I moved on from the house a while ago, and I am content to enjoy what I already have.

Basenotes Plus

It's the Rolex aspirational game.

They've known for years that an increase in price almost always brings an increase in unit sales.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Angry Re: 2021: Creed buys the pot... all in or fold?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    What are you guys going to do? Keep going forward with them, or decline to become/keep being a cash cow?
    My intention was to buy their entire current Millesime collection, but I think I'll just hunt for discounts on a few that I like(aventus, himalaya, ov, royal oud).. there are too many other interesting things out there... while I still believe they make the best freshies, I don't think they warrant the pricing of much heavier, complex fragrances like some made by Roja or Xerjoff... I also got that email, above the prices they say "In order to serve Creed customers worldwide, Nose is glad to now deliver Creed products also outside the European Union, " - wondering if the price hike has something to do with this.. also, the price hike is everywhere in the EU, not just at nose...

Their price increase history..

Aventus - 75ml 133 eur(1.77/ml), 120ml 163 eur(1.36/ml)
    Millesime Imperial - 75 ml 118 eur(1.57/ml), 120 ml 139 eur(1.16/ml)
    https://web.archive.org/web/20130915.../creed/aventus
    https://web.archive.org/web/20131108...esime-imperial

Aventus 75ml 145, 120ml 183, 500ml 388 eur
    https://web.archive.org/web/20151205.../creed/aventus

2016:
    Aventus 75ml 152(2.02/ml), 120ml 194(1.61/ml), 500ml 488(0.97/ml) (+100 jump)

2017:
    Aventus(transitioned to 50/100 ml) 50m 144 eur(l(2.88/ml), 100ml 194(1.94/ml)
    Millesime Imperial - 75ml 139(1.85/ml), 120ml 159(1.32/ml), 500ml 420(0.84/ml)
    https://web.archive.org/web/20170801.../creed/aventus

2021:
    Aventus: 50ml 180 eur(3.6/ml), 100ml 250 eur(2,5/ml), 500ml 710 eur(1.42/ml)
    Millesime Imperial: 50ml 160 eur(3.2/ml), 100ml 200 eur(2/ml), 500ml 610(1.22/ml)

In 7.5 years, prices jumped:
    Aventus: +103% per ml for small bottle(50/75), +83% per ml for large bottle(100/120)
    Millesime Imperial: +103% small, +72% large

Also the 500ml splash bottle jumped from 388 in 2015 to 710 in 2021(6 years), +83% increase!

Inflation for the EURO 2013-2021(present): 6.08%
    https://www.inflationtool.com/euro/2...-present-value

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    It's the Rolex aspirational game.

They've known for years that an increase in price almost always brings an increase in unit sales.
    It doesn't look that way..

Not too familiar with Rolex, but here's an article from 2020:

". On Jan. 1, select models produced by the revered Geneva watchmaker—mostly those in the brand’s steel sport ranges—increased in price anywhere from 3-8%.

The last time Rolex increased prices in the U.S. was in 2012. Speculation that the Geneva-based watch brand would implement another price hike began to build around the holidays, on the heels of a 7.4% average price increase in the U.K. reported in mid-December."
    https://robbreport.com/style/watch-c...odels-2891815/

+3-8%, let's say +10% for 2012-2020? That looks VERY DECENT! Apparently just compensating for inflation.

Niche perfumery looks super-nasty and super-greedy compared to Rolex!

Basenotes Plus

Every time I feel I need to have a Creed in my collection, I go back through my samples, take a sniff, and say 'nah'. Also to add Creed formulations don't play nice with my skin for some reason. Smells better on the paper tester than on me. The only two I really enjoy, GIT and Fleurissimo, have plenty of 'close enough' perfumes out there so I can scratch that itch at a fraction of the price. And Fleurissimo has terrible longevity on my skin. GIT I love on myself, but my husband finds it overpowering.
    Avatar picture by Fougasse (Cyril Kenneth Bird), 1944
    Currently wearing: psy_cou by Nomenclature

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    I will be replacing Royal Oud someday with L'Occitane Eau des Baux
    Royal Oud walks all over Eau des Baux, takes its lunch money, and kicks dirt in its face. And I own (and love) Eau des Baux! Seriously, they're on different levels. And they're not really even that similar scent-wise, EdB is like Tobacco Vanille, while Royal Oud is like... well nothing really. Kind of in a class by itself (unless you consider Frangrance du Bois' Oud Rouge Intense, which came out two or three years AFTER Royal Oud and costs an arm and a leg, even compared to the Creed...)

and there was not a choice for me in the poll either. Where is the "I already hunted down and own all the best batches of my favorite Creed's and could give a rat's ass what they do now or in the future"?

I have 2010, 2011, and 2016 bottles of Royal Oud, a late90s/early 2000's bottle of Bois du Portugal, 2014, 15 and 17 bottles of Aventus, and a 2013 bottle of M.I. Good to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty2Shoes View Post
    Every time I feel I need to have a Creed in my collection, I go back through my samples, take a sniff, and say 'nah'. Also to add Creed formulations don't play nice with my skin for some reason. Smells better on the paper tester than on me. The only two I really enjoy, GIT and Fleurissimo, have plenty of 'close enough' perfumes out there so I can scratch that itch at a fraction of the price. And Fleurissimo has terrible longevity on my skin. GIT I love on myself, but my husband finds it overpowering.
    That's how I feel for a number of houses. I think if I were to try Creed for the first time in 2021, I probably wouldn't enjoy many of their scents, most if not all of their scents are no longer what they used to be.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

While I quite like a number of their scents, the price increases meant I folded long ago. I just don't like them enough to pay the asking price. Maybe the price is still OK if you get in on a split, but I haven't checked the splits board for ages either.

The more the increase prices like this, the less likely I am to buy. I'm OK with that as I'm not really the target market and I'm going to assume that their pricing and marketing strategy is working for them.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

I stockpiled BOIS DU PORTUGAL back when the sale to Black Rock was announced.

AVENTUS and I never hit it off.

The only current CREED I really like and might repurchase is ROYAL OUD. Like that a lot.

There a few others I like but don't wear any of them enough that my supply is running thin. If I was still working, I might go through my ORIGINAL VETIVER fast enough to get more of that. That's a great hot weather scent.

But retirement plus their ever escalating pricing structure are phasing me out of much consideration of their scents.
    I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.
    Currently wearing: Rose 31 by Le Labo

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post

The only current CREED I really like and might repurchase is ROYAL OUD. Like that a lot.

There a few others I like but don't wear any of them enough that my supply is running thin. If I was still working, I might go through my ORIGINAL VETIVER fast enough to get more of that. That's a great hot weather scent.

But retirement plus their ever escalating pricing structure are phasing me out of much consideration of their scents.
    HA! I like 'phasing me out' and I think that applies to me as well. I do feel like Creed is phasing me out here. But their discounted prices on other sites still are somewhat reasonable....if you consider just over $200 a reasonable price for Creed.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post

Bois du Portugal is a solid choice, I was really hard pressed in deciding whether or not I wanted to go down that path for backups but ultimately decided against. I've already committed to three that I've went all in on backups no need to do that with a fourth.

I consider myself retired with Creed.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

So, did this price increase actually happen? I haven't bought any Creed this year yet.

Basenotes Plus

I use the few Creeds I have like a palate cleanser in between my more liked fragrances. I have no interest in supporting the new owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian5701 View Post
    So, did this price increase actually happen? I haven't bought any Creed this year yet.
    I don't track them at full retail enough to really know if prices went up or not. But generally speaking for myself, their price point for regular retail has been out of sight for me for awhile.

I believe I paid full retail for ROYAL OUD about 4 years ago, and that's probably the last full on purchase I will make. They make a lot of great scents I really like, but the aspirational pricing has gotten out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    HA! I like 'phasing me out' and I think that applies to me as well. I do feel like Creed is phasing me out here. But their discounted prices on other sites still are somewhat reasonable....if you consider just over $200 a reasonable price for Creed.
    It's of course hard to rationalize the high cost of pretty much any scent really. But the discounted prices on many CREEDS is not awful if I really like the scent.

It's kind of a moot point for me. I've got my favorite CREED in depth, and don't wear any others enough to need a new purchase anytime soon.
    I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.
    Currently wearing: Rose 31 by Le Labo

In the US, the major retailers are having 20% off sales periodically. I’ll buy Malles and Kurkdjians at these prices, but I turn to the discounters for Creed because I think they’re overpriced even at 20% off. The Creed I fell in love with this year, Royal Mayfair, I bought three bottles of from a discounter for the price of one at retail (and the retailer in my area stopped carrying RM).

Quote Originally Posted by Brian5701 View Post
    In Europe yes, it happened. In the US, no, they're already ridiculously expensive. The increase in Europe coincides with an apparent "official" approval for European retailers to ship to the US(prior to this you'd see some message saying they won't ship Creed outside the EU)

The retail pricing doesn't really matter to me. You can find 100ml bottles of most of their fragrances for less than $200.

I only buy older formulations of Creed and therefore they aren't cheap - so really, cost isn't an issue for something that I want.

Goes for any house, not just Creed.
    Currently wearing: Karagoz by Nishane

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3