Code of Conduct

Default Hermes, Chanel, Dior for summer?

I like the Chanel house. Love Antaeus and Coromandel, staples of my fall and winter. I tried Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche and well, very faint on me. So was Egoiste. Did not get that lemon note much in the EB or much cinnamon in Egoiste. Of the Allure line, the Allure Homme Sport Cologne lasted and projected best on me overall but was too piercing. Do not think Eau Extreme would be summery. So I am thinking that falls to a Pour Monsigneur? The Parfum, I worry about barbershop with the lavendar, but perfomance with the Toilette., HOWEVER i am open to just getting Chanel EB again and just being satisfied for what it is, and not disparing for what it is not or what it lacks in longevity or projection.

Same with Dior. I wanna like this again. Wore Eau Sauvage a lot in the 80's The EdT now, last I sampled it, projected nice for a while but was not citrus dominant as it was in the 80's. Kinda hard to find the parfum version in our local Sephora. Tried Dior Homme Sport at Sephora and not all that citrus but wife liked it, but then again she liked D&G Light Blue (no citrus I could detect and it did not project as much as the Dior). Could not sample the Dior Homme Cologne, but it was citrus and white floraly, kinda like AdP Essenza.

Hermes, the Eau d'Orange Vert never lasts. The Citron and others they have at Sephora, I don't know. I have had TdH in various versions, and sold each one. I guess if I were to return, the EdT would be it for projection purposes or the Eau Fraiche

Now, I like a summer cologne to be brighter, whereas in colder weather, I like comfort. Im not into lavendar, nor do I think I want woodsy in summer. I do have Grey Vetiver EdP and wear it in all occasions in spring and summer. Some have suggested Mugler cologne and that is on my radar and I would probably get it at Frangrancenet if they had the 100 ml (and if you know where they do cheaply, message me).

Mancera Lemon Line, sounds good, but I fell out of love with Cedrat Boisee. Not as fruity anymore. Guerlain L'Eau Boisee did not last, not one hour. Drakkar Noir, smells like lemons on me and I like it and could return

I really do not want to have to search out niche. Wife kinda wants to smell from the Macys/Dillards/Sephora or I think there is a factory outlet mall of Perfumania within an easy drive. She wants to buy me something, and well, she never smelled Creed Imperial on me, and did like GIT but she did not like the price.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Hermes, Chanel, Dior for summer?

Have you tried Monsieur Balmain by Pierre Balmain?
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Dior Dune Pour Homme can sometimes be found at fragrance outlets. I'd check it out.
    Currently wearing: French Affair by Ex Nihilo

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Have you tried Monsieur Balmain by Pierre Balmain?
    I have not

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    I like the Chanel house. Love Antaeus and Coromandel, staples of my fall and winter. I tried Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche and well, very faint on me. So was Egoiste. Did not get that lemon note much in the EB or much cinnamon in Egoiste. Of the Allure line, the Allure Homme Sport Cologne lasted and projected best on me overall but was too piercing. Do not think Eau Extreme would be summery. So I am thinking that falls to a Pour Monsigneur? The Parfum, I worry about barbershop with the lavendar, but perfomance with the Toilette., HOWEVER i am open to just getting Chanel EB again and just being satisfied for what it is, and not disparing for what it is not or what it lacks in longevity or projection.

Same with Dior. I wanna like this again. Wore Eau Sauvage a lot in the 80's The EdT now, last I sampled it, projected nice for a while but was not citrus dominant as it was in the 80's. Kinda hard to find the parfum version in our local Sephora. Tried Dior Homme Sport at Sephora and not all that citrus but wife liked it, but then again she liked D&G Light Blue (no citrus I could detect and it did not project as much as the Dior). Could not sample the Dior Homme Cologne, but it was citrus and white floraly, kinda like AdP Essenza.

Hermes, the Eau d'Orange Vert never lasts. The Citron and others they have at Sephora, I don't know. I have had TdH in various versions, and sold each one. I guess if I were to return, the EdT would be it for projection purposes or the Eau Fraiche

Now, I like a summer cologne to be brighter, whereas in colder weather, I like comfort. Im not into lavendar, nor do I think I want woodsy in summer. I do have Grey Vetiver EdP and wear it in all occasions in spring and summer. Some have suggested Mugler cologne and that is on my radar and I would probably get it at Frangrancenet if they had the 100 ml (and if you know where they do cheaply, message me).

Mancera Lemon Line, sounds good, but I fell out of love with Cedrat Boisee. Not as fruity anymore. Guerlain L'Eau Boisee did not last, not one hour. Drakkar Noir, smells like lemons on me and I like it and could return

I really do not want to have to search out niche. Wife kinda wants to smell from the Macys/Dillards/Sephora or I think there is a factory outlet mall of Perfumania within an easy drive. She wants to buy me something, and well, she never smelled Creed Imperial on me, and did like GIT but she did not like the price.
    Interesting.. For me EB projects quite well, and longevity is not bad. Agree, it could be better, but personally its okay for me.. #finsup

Also adding Voyage d'Hermes EDT and Parfum, Dior Homme l'Eau and Higher/Higher Energy by Dior, Chanel Egoiste Platinum
    Currently wearing: Derrick by Orlane

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Hermes - Bel Ami Vetiver, Un Jardin Sur Le Nil, Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche

Chanel - Antaeus, Allure Homme Sport Cologne, No 5 L'eau

Dior - Eau Sauvage, Dior Homme Cologne, Fahrenheit
    Currently wearing: Chergui by Serge Lutens

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Hermes - Bel Ami Vetiver, Un Jardin Sur Le Nil, Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche

Chanel - Antaeus, Allure Homme Sport Cologne, No 5 L'eau

Dior - Eau Sauvage, Dior Homme Cologne, Fahrenheit
    Antaeus, I wear in fall, summer. AHSC, lasted best on me, but a piercing note throws me off. Wife did not like AHS, which I think it may be the aquatic note. The EE, leans to fall

Ok, let me posit it this way, given that Wife wants to smell it on me

Chanel: Down to Allure Homme Edition Blanche, Pour Monsieur and Pour Monsieur Parfum. Which one smells best, and which one projects best. I am reading at Fragrantica that they all have moderate longevity, but some scents rated poor on longevity actually are very close-to-the-skin sort of scents.

Dior: Eau Sauvage Edt, Eau Sauvage EdP, and DIor Homme Sport. The ES EdT seems to be lavendar,, and the recent iteration of the parfum lasts and projects but is more myrhh, Hard to see Citrus in those but wife does like the Parfum. Dior Homme Sport she liked but did not smell citrus on me. The Dior Homme Cologne, I get citrus and white floral and then after an hour, just a nice plain scent

Hermes: It is either the Terre d'Hermes toilette or Eau Fraiche. GIving up on the parfum and never warmed to the vetiver version

And then Mancera Lemon Line

So 3 Chanels, 3 Diors and 1 other for me to choose from.

So, if it would not be too much trouble, rank your top three and try to sell me on them? I do want citrus, I want to distinguish if I can between a summer scent, which is what I want, anything worn over 70 degrees, and something that could lean to all year. Smell means more than moderate projection or longevity, but a great smell and terrible projection and longevity would be a bummer

Ok, let me posit it this way, given that Wife wants to smell it on me

Chanel: Down to Allure Homme Edition Blanche, Pour Monsieur and Pour Monsieur Parfum. Which one smells best, and which one projects best. I am reading at Fragrantica that they all have moderate longevity, but some scents rated poor on longevity actually are very close-to-the-skin sort of scents.

Dior: Eau Sauvage Edt, Eau Sauvage EdP, and DIor Homme Sport. The ES EdT seems to be lavendar,, and the recent iteration of the parfum lasts and projects but is more myrhh, Hard to see Citrus in those but wife does like the Parfum. Dior Homme Sport she liked but did not smell citrus on me. The Dior Homme Cologne, I get citrus and white floral and then after an hour, just a nice plain scent

Hermes: It is either the Terre d'Hermes toilette or Eau Fraiche. GIving up on the parfum and never warmed to the vetiver version

And then Mancera Lemon Line

So 3 Chanels, 3 Diors and 1 other for me to choose from.

So, if it would not be too much trouble, rank your top three and try to sell me on them? I do want citrus, I want to distinguish if I can between a summer scent, which is what I want, anything worn over 70 degrees, and something that could lean to all year. Smell means more than moderate projection or longevity, but a great smell and terrible projection and longevity would be a bummer

Edition Blanche hands down for me on the Chanel front - it just smells amazing!. I only have the Parfum of Eau Sauvage, but am in the market for the EDT, so that would be my pick there. Definitely not Sport. No experience with the Mancera. So,...

Allure Homme Edition Blanche
    Eau Sauvage EDT
    Mancera Lemon Line
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Zadig & Voltaire This is Him!
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

Basenotes Plus

I actually have six of your final choices only missing Mugler Cologne, Eau Fraiche and Dior Homme Cologne

My #1 from your nine above choices: Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum 2017 edition. All the other choices just don't last very long on me. Well, Terre d'Hermes I can't really say because I don't care for it.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFrank75 View Post
    I actually have six of your final choices only missing Mugler Cologne, Eau Fraiche and Dior Homme Cologne

My #1 from your nine above choices: Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum 2017 edition. All the other choices just don't last very long on me. Well, Terre d'Hermes I can't really say because I don't care for it.
    Smell wise. Which Dior, and Chanel.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Chanel: Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Dior: Eau Sauvage EdP

Hermes: Terre d'Hermes toilette

Mancera Lemon Line
    Any of the four choices above would be fine IMO.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Smell wise. Which Dior, and Chanel.
    Dior - Eau Sauvage Parfum(2017) > Eau Sauvage Edt > Dior Homme Sport

Chanel - Pour Monsieur Edp > Pour Monsieur Edt > Allure Homme Edition Blanche

I would recommend:

Chanel - Paris-Deauville; Eau de Cologne (from Les Exclusifs)
    Dior - Dior Homme Cologne; Escale a Portofino
    Hermes - Terre d’Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche; Mandarine Ambree; Un Jardin Sur Le Nil / Apres la Mousson / En Mediterranee

Dior Balade Sauvage
    Hermès Un Jardin series and Voyage D’Hermès
    Chanel Chance Fraiche (if you can forget it’s labeled as female, but it actually IS an unisex frag) and Sycomore.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

I tend to wear all of my Chanels during the summer - Egoiste EDT, Egoiste Cologne Concentree, Antaeus, Antaeus Sport, Pour Monsieur, Pour Monsieur Cologne Concentree, Allure Homme Edition Blanche, and No 19.

Dior Homme, Dior Homme Sport, Jules, and Eau Sauvage could definitely work. Fahrenheit can work in moderation.

Terre d'Hermes and Bel Ami would work.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Edition Blanch
    Dior Homme Cologne (Eau Sauvage Parfum is better IMO, but not for summer necessarily)
    OG Terre

Tried some Diors head to head

Dior Homme Sport at Sephora: Probably projects the most, but not citrus on me but powdery. Wife liked it the least

Dior Sauvage EdT: She liked this the best, but the sales associate said every 16 year old boy buys this. I liked it, but it does not say summer. Says all year round

Dior Homme Cologne: The most summery but reminds me so much of Acqua di Parma Essenza. Lightest on my skin of the 4. I get more of a white floral or citrus floral

Dior Eau Sauvage EdT: No more parfums at Sephora. Dior does not list it. This is the most citrus dominant and wife liked it #2. I read that the EdP is more myrrh and lasts longer but dont know I want that in 70 degrees or hotter. After two hours I can’t smell it but my wife can

What are your experiences between these four?

RIght now, I am inclined that the Eau Sauvage or Homme Cologne of the DIors and then to compare them to Chanel Allure Homme Blanche and Terre d'Hermes EdT and decide for a citrus spring and summer scent of those four to go with my Tom Ford Grey Vetiver,

Basenotes Institution

Hermes: TDH
    Chanel: Egoiste
    Dior: Dior Homme Cologne