Code of Conduct

Default Rochas Moustache Original 1949 EdT vs. Eau de Rochas Homme

How would you compare these? I'm curious because both supposedly have a lemon candy opening, which is making me a bit cautious.

Then again, I like Happy for Men, so I suspect I'd enjoy Eau de Rochas Homme.
    And I like Eau Sauvage, so Moustache Original 1949 EdT would probably not disappoint either.

I could blind buy both at the price they're selling for, but the preferable option is to pick just one.
    Spray less, love more.

Default Re: Rochas Moustache Original 1949 EdT vs. Eau de Rochas Homme

These two are not very similar at all in my experience. I recently blind bought the new Rochas Moustache Original 1949. I don't agree with the comparisons to Eau Sauvage. It smells closer to something dandified in the EDC style, or maybe also similar to a "barbershop" EDC if that is a thing? I basically just get lemon, lavender and some musk in the drydown. Moss is listed but if it's there it's so light as to be hardly noticeable.

Eau de Rochas has a LOT more going on than 1949. It's a very herbal, almost fougere-like fragrance, wrapped in the traditional Eau de Cologne style. Eau de Rochas smells a lot like a gin and tonic to me, and I don't find it has a lemon candy opening. Threre's almost no sweetness in it at all. It's very dry, very green, and very herbal. I think it's very nice and quite different to other EDC styled fragrances. It also has better performance than 1949 as well. But these two are very different from each other in my experience. Both worth owning though, and both very affordable. No need to track down a vintage bottle of Eau de Rochas Homme as I think the current version is great.

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by cpp214 View Post
    These two are not very similar at all in my experience. I recently blind bought the new Rochas Moustache Original 1949. I don't agree with the comparisons to Eau Sauvage. It smells closer to something dandified in the EDC style, or maybe also similar to a "barbershop" EDC if that is a thing? I basically just get lemon, lavender and some musk in the drydown. Moss is listed but if it's there it's so light as to be hardly noticeable.
    ^^ This, mostly.

I really like the new "1949" EDT, but dislike the EDP of Moustache -- too musty for me. I don't have much experience with Eau de Rochas but there are several threads that could give you some background to make your decision.

Comparing all the Moustaches:
    https://www.basenotes.net/threads/47...nal-1949-(2018)

The rundown on the new EDP of Moustache:
    https://www.basenotes.net/threads/45...che-EDP-(2018)

Thanks for the very useful info!

I get the feeling I'd enjoy Eau de Rochas more. Very herbal, gin and tonic, not sweet - yes please! And luckily it's cheaper too by a few euros, haha.
    Spray less, love more.

They're different scents, both are good in their own right. Eau de Rochas Pour Homme skews for fresh and lemony while Moustache is more of an aromatic barbershop scent that's fresh and spicy.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Moustache Original is tempting, I must admit...

Two more questions, if I may:

1) I love Boucheron pH EdT's straightforward lemon. There's some lavender too but I guess in Moustache EdT the lavender is stronger?

2) I've seen the Moustache compared to Lalique Lion. The Lalique from what I've read seems quite formal and also sweet in the base. Any comments? At least there's no vanilla in Moustache's base, which I guess would make it less prone to feel cloying (?)
    Spray less, love more.

The Lalique is more dry/woody in the base. The vanilla in there isn't very sugary/sweet; it mostly just gives the lavender a bit of creaminess as it blends in with the grapefruit, herbs, and cedar.

The current Moustache EDT isn't much like it. To me, current Moustache has a gin-like aromatic opening that leads into a slightly indolic floral bouquet. Vaguely reminiscent of Eau Sauvage, but more gentlemanly and formal.

Eau de Rochas is all about lemon verbena, with a lot of herbs. It has a 1990s breezy, casual feel.
    Last edited by Brooks Otterlake; 6th March 2021 at 10:02 PM.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Not similar to me either.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I'll probably be getting both of these, IF I decide to order.

I was surprised to read about the supposed resemblance between Moustache Original and Lalique Lion from a few reviews. What Brooks writes above makes more sense to me. Anyway, from my research, I have a feeling I'd probably prefer the Moustache over Lion.
    Spray less, love more.

Which bottle of Eau de Rochas?

Basenotes Junkie

Eau de rochas is probably my fav cheapie! Bit it doesnt smell like a cheapie at all. Moustache on the other hand does smell like a cheapie.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
    1. Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    2. Eau D'Hederin by Annick Goutal
    3. Neroli Portofino by Tom ford
    4. Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    5. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    6. Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    7. Scandal by Roja
    8. Sublime Vanille by Creed
    9. Moon Safari by Memo
    10. Pour Homme by Paco Robanne

Basenotes Plus

Keep in mind Eau de Rochas Pour Homme (older) & Eau de Rochas Homme (newer/current) smell quite different from each other!!
    The latter is much more simplistic/citrus-y and modern.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Yes, it is indeed Eau de Rochas Homme (and not pour Homme) that I've been looking at!
    Spray less, love more.

I'm thinking of going vintage after all!

So... another curve ball: Eau de Rochas pour Homme spray vs. YSL pour Homme mini/splash (thinking of buying a few minis and decanting into an atomizer)?

The Rochas would cost me less per ml. I've had some bad experiences with top notes vanishing from vintage minis (very little violet in Fahrenheit ). Citrus is volatile anyway, splash or not, so I'm not so sure if the YSL pour Homme is a good idea.
    Spray less, love more.

Going by the versions I own

Moustache - great but perhaps not for everybody
    Eau de Rochas - very nice but perhaps could/should last a bit longer
    YSL - if you can get over the dish liquid/household cleaner smell it's enjoyable. It's the only scent I own that reminds me of cleaning products. Girlfriend mentioned it as well.

Anybody have any pics of the Vintage and the current bottles of Eau de Rochas? I cant access any websites right now

Quote Originally Posted by Icemanbrfc View Post
    Anybody have any pics of the Vintage and the current bottles of Eau de Rochas? I cant access any websites right now
    From what I've read I believe it's vintage if it reads "pour Homme" on the bottle and box (instead of just "Homme") and has a transparent cap (vs. the newer one's non-transparent all-silver cap).
    Spray less, love more.

Quote Originally Posted by motorcade View Post
    From what I've read I believe it's vintage if it reads "pour Homme" on the bottle and box (instead of just "Homme") and has a transparent cap (vs. the newer one's non-transparent all-silver cap).
    Okay thanks. I have the non transparent one, which personally i think is still pretty amazing scent. That lemony vibe is pretty nice, and even in cold days it kind of pops nicely.

I would really like to get a vintage bottle. I always thought the ladies Eau de Rochas had a transparent glass type cap, or am i wrong about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Icemanbrfc View Post
    I would really like to get a vintage bottle. I always thought the ladies Eau de Rochas had a transparent glass type cap, or am i wrong about that?
    Not an expert but comparing pictures of the vintage and current ladies version, the cap looks pretty much the same in both. Whereas in the men's version, the whole cap design looks clearly different between the older and newer stuff (transparent "ice cube" and the silver "metal").
    Spray less, love more.