Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dependent
    Blog Entries

Default Any knock-off fragrances actually worth wearing?

Are there any cheap knock-offs/imposter/"inspired by" fragrances that are actually enjoyable to wear? I know most of them are not, and who knows what you're putting on your skin. "Kurious" is a Kouros clone that smells roughly like Kouros at first but smells exactly like poorly scented chemical water manufactured in China.

But are there any thing you actually find nice enough to actually wear?

For example, there's a Drakkar Noir knock-off called Dakar by Pafums Paris that comes in a opaque black bottle that you can buy for $5. Shamu reviewed it here, and says it's not so much a DN clone as it's more reminiscent of Gucci Nobile and Sergio Tacchini. He gave it a 7/10. I've tried it, and the bottle I had smelled very sweet, closer to Carrera Black. Like some really sweet shaving cream. If you like that style it's pretty decent. Not bad at all.

I remember back in the day I had a cheap bottle of BOOS, (rectangle bottle, black cap, red lettering) and even though it lasted for about an hour, maybe two, dammit if it wasn't one of the freshest, cleanest and most pleasant fragrances I ever had. I don't think it actually smelled like any particular Hugo Boss fragrance. But it's an imposter that I missed and I've never found that particular fake Boss again.

Any cheap knock-offs out there that are actually nice to wear?

Default Re: Any knock-off fragrances actually worth wearing?

Rasasi Hawas, said to be close to Invictus Aqua but excellent smell and performance nuclear actually. Came before Invictus Aqua so the dna might be similar but it’s doing it’s own thing and price is excellent.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

If by "knock-off" fragrances you refer to "imitation" or "our version of" scents", none IMO.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I recently bought Armaf Tres Nuit, which is a GIT/Chez Bond clone, and I have to say I really like it. Granted, I've never smelled the scents it's copying, so I can't attest to the accuracy there, but it's a genuinely pleasant, robustly performing soapy Irish Spring type frag with nice violet, lemon verbena and a warm/sweet but not overpowering base. It's not super nuanced or rich and you can tell the ingredients aren't top shelf, but the blending is very well done and I plan on keeping it around as a dumb reach/bedtime scent.
    “I have often observed that [scents] cause an alteration in me and work upon my spirits according to their several virtues; which makes me approve of what is said, that the use of incense and perfumes in churches, so ancient and so universally received in all nations and religions, was intended to cheer us, and to rouse and purify the senses, the better to fit us for contemplation” - Montaigne

DUA is one of the primary "knockoff houses." I'll give you my two cents...

I sheepishly admit trying two DUA fragrances: INVASION OF THE BARBERS (knockoff MDCI INVASION BARBARE) and BIANCA PURA (knockoff CREED PURE WHITE COLOGNE).

INVASION OF THE BARBERS does capture some of the main essence of INVASION BARBARE. While it smells basically similar, it feels heavy handed and lacking some of the finesse in INVASION BARBARE. It is technically quite close, and in fact may be a bit stronger. DUA claims to use a higher percentage of scent than most EdTs or EdPs.

BIANCA PURA is kind of a waste of time for me. I'm not a big fan of cologne style scents, but kind of like CREED PURE WHITE COLOGNE so figured I'd give it a try. No way I'm paying CREED prices for PURE WHITE COLOGNE. But this knockoff suffers from pretty poor longevity on me. I wish I hadn't bought it.

DUA stuff is not cheap. It's usually around $60/30 ml. So it's no bargain for a "knockoff." It does offer smaller sizes which some might prefer (I do).

The INVASION OF THE BARBERS is decent; wearable. But I honestly feel a bit tawdry wearing it. Maybe that makes me sound elitist, but I think many others would agree while it's similar, it kind of subs brute force over finesse and fine blending.

Not sorry I tried them, but unlikely I'll buy any others.

Most of the other cheapish knockoffs for things like INVICTUS, AVENTUS are not on my radar since I don't wear many of the "youngish" guy scents.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

I generally avoid clones, but La Yuqawam is a solid knock-off of Tuscan Leather. Apparently, it's been reformulated though.
    "No one wants advice - only corroboration." - John Steinbeck
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

They can be great if you want some variety but don't think the scent is special. EAD used to sell at my local dollar stores, so I've got some of them. The AdG, Fahrenheit, Spicebomb, Reveal Men, and a couple of others were all quite good, though of course not that strong. Then there are ones like Prive Zarah's Oud Highness, which cost me around $20, but I really like it and it does last (supposed to be close to Dior's Oud Ispahan but I prefer Oud Highness). Basically, too many to mention in one post!

None
    Thank you God for guiding me the way you want to guide me.

Personally I would avoid knock offs.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Same here.
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami Vetiver by Hermès

Parfums Vintage do decent Creed "knock offs". And their BR250 is damn close to MFK.
    Please see my "wanted partials"
    Currently wearing: Herod by Parfums de Marly

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Normally I avoid them like the plague since considering that many of them are manufactured in a country that doesn't pride itself on safety regulations. I also don't like the idea of companies making bootleg products and being able to getaway with marketing it as "Our Version of [insert designer fragrance name]." I don't mind spending the extra $$ to get the real thing.

I make some exceptions though.

-Cuba Black is good enough to be its own fragrance. It's as different enough from APH as Tuscany is.

-Al Rehab Dakar smells exactly like the basenotes/drydown of vintage Drakkar Noir. However it is linear and is missing the amazing top notes and soapy aspect of the current DN. I own both of these.

-And if there's some rare unicorn that smells completely unique in its own right, and is safe to wear.

-If it's a clone of a discontinued fragrance (see RG).

Think the only one I've ever tried was a Cuba one but I didn't like it as much as Le Male.

I never found anything close to Alexandria. California farms apparently provide the same quality of materials to perfume as they do to wine. It's silly that people keep ignoring that house's work. I found all of the others Armaf, Dua, Montage, etc. to be either be too synthetic or poorly fine tuned.

I buy from Alexandria, wait a month for maceration, then use. Compared to originals they are the closest. I have compared over 80 compositions.

Basenotes Plus

I have a couple of 30MLs from Alexandria Fragrance. Dubai Lifestyle, a knockoff of Blue Sapphire Boadicea the Victorious, (an expensive fragrance), is solid.

I also have United Kingdom, a knockoff of Roja - Great Britain (also another expensive fragrance). Haven't tried this yet, but an initial sampling indicates it's a quality product as well.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." - Socrates
    Currently wearing: Spicebomb by Viktor & Rolf

the Xerjoff richwood rip from Alexandria fragrances is Really good. I have a bottle of Richwood and Alexandria's version is more fun to wear.

Also CDNIM is really great. I enjoy wearing this. can't believe no-one said this

Few to none so far personally known, the exceptions that confirm the rule might include several TDH inspired ones (though not 100% carbon copy renditions) like Zara Norrland, Yardley Citrus & Wood, Ginepro Nero by l'Erbolario.
    Or perhaps also Scottish Fine Soaps EDT-this one a rather interesting combination inspired by at least two very distinctive scents, as in both a barbershop soapy more sanitized rendition of vintage Givenchy Gentleman combined with Le Male with all spice and animalic elements minus the gourmand sweetness.
    Currently wearing: Bogart by Jacques Bogart

Basenotes Institution

Nope

Not really. Parfums Belcam makes some decent ones using good materials but beyond them I haven't found much of interest.

I like sampling them just for fun and to compare, I've never understood imitations of relatively affordable fragrances though. I have come to accept that most of the time you will never be satisfied with the next best thing, it's better to go for the original you really want unless it's unobtainable of course.

Strangely enough it seems as if Tuscan Leather is rather easy to replicate for not much money as I've found many similar fragrances that hit the same 'photo realistic' leather spot.

Dependent

Not for me.

Blog Entries

I only go for knock offs if it's of a discontinued htf frag.

Some good ones I have found are Alexandria Chic Magnet, which is an impeccable Magnetism clone, and Dua Vert Instinct which is a pretty good Green Valley clone, not 100% perfect like Chic Magnet, but about 90%.

Although these companies get a lot of criticism, some frags they do very well.

Quote Originally Posted by hellbentforleather View Post
    I generally avoid clones, but La Yuqawam is a solid knock-off of Tuscan Leather. Apparently, it's been reformulated though.
    +1

I've tried a bunch but always leaves me wanting the original so got rid of most. The only other "inspired by" that I personally own and enjoy wearing is Rochas Moustache EDP.

Depends on who you ask. Some people just like to smell good. If someone just wants to smell good, what difference does it make if it is the original version of a scent or a well-made copy? That said, I often derive as much enjoyment in this hobby from learning the history behind how certain fragrances were created and collecting certain houses as I do the smell. Fragrance means more to me than just smelling good. I personally don't bother with knock-offs, clones, etc.
    Currently wearing: Cuba by Henry Jacques

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Al Rehab Silver is one I really enjoy, but I only recommend it with the caveat that it's NOT a copy of Silver Mountain Water. It's Silver Mountain Water minus the tea and ink note, and with a base that goes in a soapy direction.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Boy Chanel
    Endymion
    Royal Oud
    Tabac Rouge
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Reflection Man
    Prada L'Homme
    Green Irish Tweed
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Interlude Man
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Aqua Universalis
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Pomelo Paradis
    Amouage Silver Man
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    "Live in the moment. Never count on longevity." --Yeasayer

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post
    Are there any cheap knock-offs/imposter/"inspired by" fragrances that are actually enjoyable to wear? I know most of them are not, and who knows what you're putting on your skin. "Kurious" is a Kouros clone that smells roughly like Kouros at first but smells exactly like poorly scented chemical water manufactured in China.

But are there any thing you actually find nice enough to actually wear?

For example, there's a Drakkar Noir knock-off called Dakar by Pafums Paris that comes in a opaque black bottle that you can buy for $5. Shamu reviewed it here, and says it's not so much a DN clone as it's more reminiscent of Gucci Nobile and Sergio Tacchini. He gave it a 7/10. I've tried it, and the bottle I had smelled very sweet, closer to Carrera Black. Like some really sweet shaving cream. If you like that style it's pretty decent. Not bad at all.

I remember back in the day I had a cheap bottle of BOOS, (rectangle bottle, black cap, red lettering) and even though it lasted for about an hour, maybe two, dammit if it wasn't one of the freshest, cleanest and most pleasant fragrances I ever had. I don't think it actually smelled like any particular Hugo Boss fragrance. But it's an imposter that I missed and I've never found that particular fake Boss again.

Any cheap knock-offs out there that are actually nice to wear?
    Only if you go the middle eastern route, to me their version are better than the original. Paris Corner especially

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

I actually like it when the clones are so inaccurate (but still quality enough) that they end up creating a rather unique scent that isn't redundant alongside what they try to imitate.

A good example of that is Lomani pour Homme (1987), which is alleged to be a clone of Drakkar Noir but was created before the days of clone houses using GCMS machines to fully reverse engineer fragrances. Lomani shares maybe 50% DNA with Drakkar Noir, but it really is it's own fragrance and still has oakmoss to boot.
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post
    Normally I avoid them like the plague since considering that many of them are manufactured in a country that doesn't pride itself on safety regulations. I also don't like the idea of companies making bootleg products and being able to getaway with marketing it as "Our Version of [insert designer fragrance name]." I don't mind spending the extra $$ to get the real thing.
    This.
    Current Winter Favorites:

1. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    2. Brückner - Aoud 1
    3. Creed - Royal Oud
    4. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Generation Man
    5. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    6. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    7. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Mortal Skin
    8. Creed - Royal English Leather
    9. Creed - Bois du Portugal
    10. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions

Laboratory Perfumes have about 3 that resemble famous Creeds -- I'm not calling them out though

They are about £60 a pop now (from 40) and are very nice with great performances

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

At this point, most designer releases seem to be a knockoff of something else, or a knockoff of something they have already previously done. We're fooling ourselves.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren