Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default What do your backups say about you?

Was considering tonight what I have backed up and why.

For me, it's mostly because these are scents I really love and have some concerns they might disappear as quietly and fast as RIVE GAUCHE POUR HOMME.

I've backed up:

CREED BOIS DU PORTUGAL
    NICOLAI NEW YORK INTENSE
    CHANEL EGOISTE
    CARON LE TROISEMME HOMME
    YSL KOUROS

Overall, BdP, KOUROS and THIRD MAN are the three that would make me nuts if discontinued.

I think I may add MDCI INVASION BARBARE and then I'd back off the back ups. At a certain point, as Zealot Crusader pointed out, you're building inventory for your own little frag store.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 6th March 2021 at 08:30 AM.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.
    Currently wearing: Black Suede by Avon

Default Re: What do your backups say about you?

Currently have backups of:

Dior Homme Intense (one of them with the silver collar) *2 bottles*
    Gucci Envy for Men *2 bottles*
    Gucci Pour Home II *3 bottles*
    Rive Gauche *2 bottles*
    A*Men (vintage) *2 bottles*

Love all of them.

Blog Entries

I’ve got 4 backups of Acqua di Gio Absolu Instinct
    3 backups of Varvatos Dark Rebel and 5 of Rebel Rider
    And 1 backup of Michael by Michael Kors 2001

All are in fact, discontinued so that’s my excuse
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator

Rive Gauche
    Antaeus
    Dunhill Edition
    Dunhill For Men 1934
    Third Man
    Yatagan
    Ultra Male
    Habit Rouge EDP
    Top 10: Chanel Antaeus, Chanel Sycamore, Creed Aventus, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Frapin Isle of Man, Guerlain Habit Rouge, Hermes Terre d'Hermes, TF Beau de Jour, TF Tuscan Leather, YSL Rive Gauche.

10-20: ADP Colonia Essenza, Chanel Egoiste, Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree, Creed Vintage Tabarome, Dunhill Edition, Dunhill For Men 1934, Knize Ten, Polo Modern Reserve, YSL M7, Zaharoff Signature

The only thing I have backed up is Creed due to incoming price increases and uncertainty about future reforms

Aventus
    GiT
    SMW
    Royal Mayfair
    Original Vetiver

My only backup is Guerlain Héritage EdT. Bought it after reading about it being discontinued in a previous thread I'm too lazy to look up.

I'm quite a back up person.
    Especially glad I did it with Paestum Rose, Timbuktu and Carillon pour un Ange. Planning to buy another Dans tes Bras in the near future. Also have backups (or 200ml) of my vintage faves such as Exception, Burberry Blue Knight, Acteur After Shave, M7, Sybaris, Lui Rochas, Zino and Nobile.

I’m not old, I’m vintage.

My backups don’t say that much. I don’t have many. Some are from early in my journey when I had no idea how much I’d be buying, others are from instances where a significant price break occurred with multiples. They wouldn’t be a safe predictor of my favorites.
    Currently wearing: Diorling by Christian Dior

Nothing
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

That I'm the Goosey Guy of Avon
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader
    Currently wearing: Ténéré by Paco Rabanne

I don’t back up... I buy too much - but the only scents I have two bottles are

GIT
    Philosykos edp
    Acqua Di Parma Colonia

The GIt was the only one I bought myself - the others presents from my wife.

Reforms are out of my control so I don’t plan for them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do they say about me? That I'm a neurotic hoarder who suddenly started panicking and buying backups that will never get to see use. Frankly, I feel a bit stupid as a result. It is highly unlikely I will ever get to finish a bottle in my collection, besides maybe some 30ml's - and even those with the help of added evaporation.
    Spray less, love more.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

I have:

2x JV Dark Rebel
    2x JV Artisan Acqua
    2x Azzaro Pour Homme Deodorant Spray

In the first case, FOMO. I freaked out when the JV line was said to be discontinued, online stores were saying this was "Sold Out", and everyone started hyping up a fragrance that I already found really intriguing. I remember thinking, "Dammit, I passed it up too many times and now it's gone!" I don't regret finally snagging a bottle though because Dark Rebel is now in my top 10.

The second case says this is my favorite fragrance, as it's the only back-up of an EDT that I've bought without rumors of being discontinued. However, it also says that I'm a pessimist, because I figured something that I like, which is so unique and not too popular, is bound to be discontinued by the time I need to re-up.

The third one says I'm probably a little weird to prefer a deodorant to the EdT. But I felt like I found the cheat-code to getting vintage smelling APH without actually buying vintage. And because it's so good, it would soon be discontinued. So, weird, pessimistic, and FOMO once again.
    Last edited by Hugh V.; 6th March 2021 at 11:07 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post
    I have:

2x JV Dark Rebel
    2x JV Artisan Acqua

In the first case, FOMO. I freaked out when the JV line was said to be discontinued, online stores were saying this was "Sold Out", and everyone started hyping up a fragrance that I already found really intriguing. I remember thinking, "Dammit, I saw passed it up too many times!" I don't regret it though because Dark Rebel is now in my top 10.

The second case says I know what I really like, and even though it wasn't rumored to be discontinued at the time, I thought it safe to get back up of such a great and unique fragrance.

The third one says I'm probably a little weird to prefer the deodorant to the EdT. But I figured since it smelled so much better than the current juice, then more than likely it would be discontinued. FOMO once again.
    Has there been any update in the JV discontinuation? Seems a lot of the fragrances survived the chop
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator

I've got back ups for the next 20 years!
    FREE AS THE WIND!

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    Has there been any update in the JV discontinuation? Seems a lot of the fragrances survived the chop
    Most of the main JV stuff is available at online. Only Dark Rebel seems to be unavailable at the moment, but it's been popping up again at discounters. And JV seems to be releasing new stuff like more JV x NJ flankers, XX, and XX Artisan which is supposed to smell like TF Grey Vetiver mixed with YSL Ultime.

I'll be checking out department stores to see if I can sample these new releases.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

They say that I’m enthusiastic.

Basenotes Plus

That I plan to live fragrantly until I’m 100? In any case, I don’t plan on using up my favored vintages till the very last drop. As soon as they reach the last 4-5 ml, they get ‘vaulted’ for future nostalgic scent trips.

Quote Originally Posted by motorcade View Post
    What do they say about me? That I'm a neurotic hoarder who suddenly started panicking and buying backups that will never get to see use. Frankly, I feel a bit stupid as a result. It is highly unlikely I will ever get to finish a bottle in my collection, besides maybe some 30ml's - and even those with the help of added evaporation.
    Ha...go easy on yourself. I'm sure you're a lot younger than me. You have a theoretical chance of using some stuff up. The math is such that there is very little chance I will probably even get to my backups.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post

The third one says I'm probably a little weird to prefer a deodorant to the EdT. But I felt like I found the cheat-code to getting vintage smelling APH without actually buying vintage. And because it's so good, it would soon be discontinued. So, weird, pessimistic, and FOMO once again.
    This reminds me that for about 20 or more years, I religiously used RALPH LAUREN POLO ANTIPERSPERANT. Around the mid 2000s, it started disappearing from the big department stores and was evidently discontinued. The breadth and depth of online retailers hadn't really gelled yet. For about two years, I was scoring it one or two tubes at a time from independent drugstores, beauty supplies, etc. (I still have one tube I've kept.)
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.
    Currently wearing: Black Suede by Avon

Common Lackey

They say that if I had the financial wherewithal, there's a strong possibility I could become a hoarder. Which is particularly irrational since, as Stylin points out, there aren't enough years left in front of me to even use up what I have on hand now.

I've backed-up about a quarter of my Wardrobe, the favourites that get worn a lot
    Gucci Guilty Absolute (because I started out with just a 50ml bottle, then it was available cheaply, and because something so idiosyncratic will surely be discontinued)
    Etro Gomma (likewise started with 50ml, and the back-up is 50ml too)
    Knize Knize Ten (current is 30ml; back-up is 30ml; glad I did, it's hard to find for a good price now)
    Penhaligon's Elixir (discontinued; already using my 100ml back-up, then that'll be it)
    Hermes Equipage (about 40ml left of vintages that I'm currently wearing, and one FB back-up)
    Guerlain Vetiver (30ml left in current bottle, one 100ml back-up of my preferred silver cap)

and one I have to wonder about
    Etro Heliotrope (seemed like a good idea at the time)
    Last edited by incense+heliotrope; 6th March 2021 at 04:28 PM.
    Spring is coming. Selecting from : Penhaligon's Elixir, Juniper Sling; Bottega Veneta Bottega Veneta pour Homme EdT, Bottega Veneta EdP; Etro Heliotrope, Gomma, Dianthus, Palais Jamais. Aramis Tuscany; Knize Knize Ten, Hermes Equipage (vtg), Bel Ami, Prada Infusion d'Iris. Decants/samples - various fougeres
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

I’m a proud hoarder of fine fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    I've got back ups for the next 20 years!
    it's called OCD!
    FREE AS THE WIND!

Hi all,

Sty, GREAT idea for a thread and I must say very "timely" indeed! I'll tell you what it say to me : "Tis better to have and not need than to need and not have!" I learned my lesson (the HARD way) by assuming (early on) that my favorite Fragrances would always be available lol. I missed out (for example) buying a "back up" bottle(s) of one of my VERY favorite Fragrances of all times , that being MPG "Eau des Iles" back in the early to mid 2000's. I've been sorry ever since.

Of late, despite my having purchased too my commonly available Colognes, I am starting to "pump the Brakes" on those type purchases and now concentrate being sure that I have at least one "backup" bottle for my TOP TEN Fragrances. I have amassed enough (especially) "every day" Colognes to last me ten lifetimes however, I would go CRAZY if I could no longer obtain at least my top half dozen favorite Colognes. I made damn sure (three years ago) to purchase two "backup" bottles of L'Artisan Dzing! (Circus Girl riding atop Tiger label). This purchase turned out to be a SMART move on my part as it now appears "Dzing!" is no more.

In addition, I recently purchased a "backup" bottle of MARLOU 50ml d'ambiguite, however (much to my surprise) despite d'ambiguite being only a few years old, it has been re-formulated and "toned down and renamed "AMBILUX". My point being, even a relatively newer Perfume such as d'ambiguite can quickly become re-formulated. I'm hoping that the new "Ambilux" (per Marlou's ad copy) will still retain all the "Animalic" funk but in a more "wearable" re-formulation. I have little doubt that "Ambilux" will be wonderful however, I'm happy that I still have a goodly amount of "original" d'ambiguite remaining as it is a BEAST of a different color!

Even in my purchasing of the more commonly available Fragrances, I was sure to put aside a "backup" bottle of Caron "Yatagan" and I may very well do the same for my recently purchased bottle of Caron L'Anarchiste. I've put aside bottles of Lalique Encre Noire (and all Flankers) Guerlain "Vetiver", Boucheron, Guerlain Mitsouko, etc.. I've still a loong (albeit expensive) way to go to cover even half of my favorites from SMN. I should be good (God willing) having enough favorites to last me the next twenty years. If I make it that long, I'll be eighty five years old. Ugggh.

SixCats!

Ha, I guess that when I love something & I fear it's getting discontinued, the hoarder comes out.

In the case of 31 Rue Cambon EdT - my 200 ml is about to be opened, so it isn't a back up anymore, which means I'm starting to itch for a replacement back up bottle
    In the case of Safran Troublant - A while ago it was starting to disappear from the L'Artisan site, and I panicked, slightly, buying 2 100 ml bottles from discounters
    In the case of Hiram Green's inimitable Dilettante - a long and desperate "Nooooooooo!!" could be heard for miles around when I discovered he was discontinuing it, and I scrambled to get a back up bottle
    In the case of vintage Samsara mini EdP's - that's a crime of opportunity; whenever I see one pop up on an auction sight I pounce, because they work out far better in terms ofEuro per ml than full vintage bottles

The only non discontinued fragrance I want a back up bottle for is Tsarina by Ormonde Jayne, because it's just so beautiful. But it isn't discontinued yet, so I've not yet pulled the trigger.

I only store backs up of vintages. Im not a pack rat but when I find something amazing that is hard to get it, I go for it. If the price is right and the juice looks good, Im in, but I rarely would want more than 200ml of anything. Thanks to the amazing people here on Basenotes and other locations that share information, I have too many other choices no matter how good that vintage is.

My backups are mainly my favourites and most worn

Bois du Portugal
    Aventus
    Chanel Pour Monsieur
    Heritage
    Green Irish Tweed

Others can speculate what my backups say

I think backups speak more to the point of reformulations, discontinuations and corrupt IFRA imposing restrictions on natural ingredients.

Basenotes Plus

I have more than I could ever possibly use, and I'll continue to purchase. Over the last 18 months, I haven't worn the same fragrance for two consecutive days.

I don't have any backups now, but I only have a 30ML of NYI, and that will not do!
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." - Socrates
    Currently wearing: Spicebomb by Viktor & Rolf