Code of Conduct
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

Default Re: NEW Ralph Lauren - Polo Cologne Intense Eau de Parfum

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    For whatever it's worth, I don't get the Sauvage and shower gel comparisons at all. Yeah there's ambrox but it's used differently here. But different noses can pick it up and interpret it differently.
    I do think it's a cut above the average ambrox/shower gel/bleu type stuff, but still generally in that genre. I still contend that it is somewhat close to current (and only current) Polo formula DNA, but it leans more toward generic freshie Macy's counter than vintage Polo. I've wanted to add a showergel/ambrox scent to my lineup for a long time and hadn't found one that quite struck my fancy yet, so this ended up checking that box for me. But I think if I already owned something else in that genre, I'd probably think my purchase was more of a bust.
    “I have often observed that [scents] cause an alteration in me and work upon my spirits according to their several virtues; which makes me approve of what is said, that the use of incense and perfumes in churches, so ancient and so universally received in all nations and religions, was intended to cheer us, and to rouse and purify the senses, the better to fit us for contemplation” - Montaigne
    Currently wearing: Greyland by Montale

To me the new Polo has three phases:

1) short lived mint+citrus opening

2) ambroxan bomb resembling Sauvage (lasts about 1.5 hours)

3) old school deep dry down resembling original Polo after the top and mids have burned off

Unfortunately the most interesting thing about original Polo, namely the slightly rough pine and tobacco smoke mid notes, is pretty much AWOL.

EDIT: I just found the original Polo mid notes...they're tucked in under the mint. The citrus fades quickly but the mint does a slow fade, and as it fades it reveals some of the old Polo notes. I think they replaced the tobacco smoke with a smokey incense. Quite a bit going on now that I know where to look but it's subtle.
    Last edited by Schnozmos; 10th April 2021 at 10:58 AM.

Blog Entries

There's not a lick of pine in this to me, and that's the main killer.

I agree it's shower gel like, but as someone said, a cut above. It's like a good shower gel. I do think it's a good purchase still, once you accept that it's not Polo. On its own, I still get a lot of Polo Black from the opening, and quite synthetic. The mid and base are more mature, but still not natural smelling at all. I find myself reaching to smell the bottle a lot as it sits on my desk, but I have only worn it about 3 times out thus far.

Fwiw, I don't think it smells like anything else thats been released in the past year or 2. Maybe a little similar to AdG Absolu Instinct in the way they wear. Fruity tops, spicy and woodsy base, and Ambroxan throughout. This one does have pretty good performance. I can almost guarantee that once this becomes more available, we're gonna see a lot of youtube hype from influencers.
    All Time Top 10: Fahrenheit, Fahrenheit Absolute, Corduroy, Seduction in Black, Itasca, Arpege pH, Burberry London, Spark Seduction, Paul Smith Man, Eau des Baux

some of the reviewers where saying this smelled like modern reserve .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yourthemannowdog View Post
    Modern Reserve actually smells like Polo.
    All Time Top 10: Fahrenheit, Fahrenheit Absolute, Corduroy, Seduction in Black, Itasca, Arpege pH, Burberry London, Spark Seduction, Paul Smith Man, Eau des Baux

Quote Originally Posted by yourthemannowdog View Post
    I’m glad some have because it means I’m not crazy in that I still get a lot of Polo DNA in the drydown. Being that it’s a lighter version I think It’s a de decent comparison. Nothing in my earlier descriptions has changed. When I smell the sprayer I get Polo with an ambroxan vibe. I know some say bubblegum and I get that too but I still think it’s different than Sauvage and others a good play off the original
    "Desperation is a stinky cologne."
    --Super Troopers
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Modern Reserve actually smells like Polo.
    + 1 ...seems like we are all looking for a “modern” take on Polo, but it was already released in 2008. Yeah, it can be pricey but worth it if you really love Polo

“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by The Cologne Cabinet View Post
    + 1 ...seems like we are all looking for a “modern” take on Polo, but it was already released in 2008. Yeah, it can be pricey but worth it if you really love Polo
    Agree! It was a phenomenal interpretation. Wish they kept it coming
    --Super Troopers

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

I really need to get some Modern Reserve before the prices go up more.
    I wonder if RL intends to release annual green flankers or if PCI was a one-off.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Someone on fragrantica mentioned a similarity to Pasha de Cartier and I do notice a resemblance to the EDT Pasha in the drydown. I also smelled some similarities to the original Polo and Sauvage. It doesn’t perform like a monster but I noticed it on my skin eight hours after applying when I woke up this morning. I think it's a good, but not great, scent.
    Last edited by Mikeaveli2682; 14th April 2021 at 12:22 AM.

Blog Entries

I really need to get some Modern Reserve before the prices go up more.
    I wonder if RL intends to release annual green flankers or if PCI was a one-off.
    Get BHPC Rogue, it smells the same and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeaveli2682 View Post
    Someone on fragrantica mentioned a similarity to Pasha de Cartier and I do notice a resemblance to the EDT Pasha in the drydown. I also smelled some similarities to the original Polo and Sauvage. It doesn’t perform like a monster but I noticed it on my skin eight hours after applying when I woke up this morning. I think it's a good, but not great, scent.
    I'm just finishing a bottle of Pasha EDT and I agree there's a ballpark similarity in the dry down. The new Polo becomes more and more old school the further you get into the wear. I would need to A/B it with the original but I have a feeling it winds up in the same place, although at that point it's basically a skin scent. To me its weakness is that it tucks away the original's interesting mid notes along the way. They're there, but they're just footnotes. And it takes a pretty big detour through ambroxanland, with the weirdness that comes with that, where it's both cloying and elusive at the same time. Overall I just don't think this stuff smells all that good, so for me it's a pass once I finish this 5 ml decant.

Quote Originally Posted by Schnozmos View Post
    I'm just finishing a bottle of Pasha EDT and I agree there's a ballpark similarity in the dry down. The new Polo becomes more and more old school the further you get into the wear. I would need to A/B it with the original but I have a feeling it winds up in the same place, although at that point it's basically a skin scent. To me its weakness is that it tucks away the original's interesting mid notes along the way. They're there, but they're just footnotes. And it takes a pretty big detour through ambroxanland, with the weirdness that comes with that, where it's both cloying and elusive at the same time. Overall I just don't think this stuff smells all that good, so for me it's a pass once I finish this 5 ml decant.
    For me, it hits that old school Pasha-like phase pretty early on. I also don't mind ambroxan and I like Sauvage so I enjoy this one, but I get why many would not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeaveli2682 View Post
    For me, it hits that old school Pasha-like phase pretty early on. I also don't mind ambroxan and I like Sauvage so I enjoy this one, but I get why many would not.
    Hm, you're right. I just A/B'd with Pasha and there's a definite similarity in the late opening.

Maybe the right way to think about this is as a modernized Pasha. Pasha overlaid with ambroxan.

Hm, you're right. I just A/B'd with Pasha and there's a definite similarity in the late opening.

Maybe the right way to think about this is as a modernized Pasha. Pasha overlaid with ambroxan.
    More like Pasha EDT than Pasha Parfum LOL

Yes, obviously Pasha EDT.

I'll have to try the Pasha EDT again. I don't remember it being similar to this. I thought it was similar to RL Safari.

Yes, obviously Pasha EDT.
    Sorry, I meant it’s funny that a Polo flanker is more like Pasha EDT than a Pasha flanker is

I'll have to try the Pasha EDT again. I don't remember it being similar to this. I thought it was similar to RL Safari.
    I think you’re right. I’ve often seen people note similarities between Pasha EDT and Safari

Purchased a tester and am disappointed. Smells horrible and fortunately lasts an hour. Stick with the original. Willing to sell on the cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by NettyYeti View Post
    Just a heads up for anyone unable to sample this in-store, I was able to procure a free sample via a Macy’s ad on Facebook. I’ve received samples like this in the past. Might be worth a look.

I’ve been following this thread closely and appreciating all the impressions.
    I received my samples in the mail from Macy’s today.

I sprayed some of the new Polo on paper about an hour ago. It’s nice; My socks are still on, but it seems a worthy and proper flanker. I definitely get impressions of the original in the opening.

My initial reaction was not “shower gel”, but I can detect that modern vibe. I obviously need to try it on skin and I’ve only had my nose on it for an hour or so, but to me Cologne Intense is to Polo as Azzaro PH L’eau is to Azzaro PH...I hope it carries into the drydown.

It’s also a touch lighter than I was expecting, but I wore my SOTD fairly heavily today, so maybe my nose just needs a break. I will post my full thoughts after I’m able to give it a few proper wearings.

Blog Entries

Worn this now about a dozen times. Although I don't really get any Polo from it, I still think it's a solid fragrance. Its become a "dumb reach" for me, pretty often as of late, when I can't figure what to wear, and I need to put on something. It covers a lot of genres I think, sort of like how Viking does, which makes it very versatile. Although it does contain Ambroxan, undoubtedly.. it's not an Ambroxan bomb, and it's dialed down enough to where it doesn't take over the life of the scent. The dry down is quite good, I think, because it manages to avoid being generic, but it's still not a fantastic dry down, I wouldn't put it with Azzaro pH, or Esencia or anything. I get good longevity with it, lasting me about 6 hours. I still stick with my original impressions, that it's very similar to Polo Black in the opening. In fact, I would call this a mature, more grown up Polo Black.

Quote Originally Posted by nosey74 View Post
    Looking forward to their next flanker

Polo Cologne Intense Eau de Parfum Extrait Concentree Sport Absolute Extreme
    Haha! Exactly...

To me the new Polo has three phases:

1) short lived mint+citrus opening

2) ambroxan bomb resembling Sauvage (lasts about 1.5 hours)

3) old school deep dry down resembling original Polo after the top and mids have burned off

Unfortunately the most interesting thing about original Polo, namely the slightly rough pine and tobacco smoke mid notes, is pretty much AWOL.

EDIT: I just found the original Polo mid notes...they're tucked in under the mint. The citrus fades quickly but the mint does a slow fade, and as it fades it reveals some of the old Polo notes. I think they replaced the tobacco smoke with a smokey incense. Quite a bit going on now that I know where to look but it's subtle.
    I appreciate these insights, and they're similar to my impressions from sampling recently. For me, this has a slightly different trio of phases:

1. Mint-gum opening - yes, there's citrus and maybe hint of something cinnamon-like, too, but it mainly smells of mint gum
    2. Compressed Polo heart - the mid of this smells like you took Polo and compressed it, then amplified it and melded it with some additional accords, rendering it sort of fizzy and buzzy (the ambroxan effect, but maybe a synthy geranium, too). There's not a true, crystalline pine note, but there's an evergreenish vibe. Not tobacco, but a sense that a smoker is nearby. Etc. If Polo is Let it Be, the heart of this is What's the Story Morning Glory?.
    3. Ambroxan-patchouli isolate base. Again, there's an echo of classic Polo to me, but it doesn't have the earthy touch. Fresh woods and clear patchouli.

I kind of like it, but I'm not sure I'd wear it a whole lot if I bought a bottle. More sampling is certainly in order.

Toward Minimalism:
    Guerlain Vetiver, Richard James Savile Row, Terre d'Hermes EDT, Bleu de Chanel EDT, Azzaro Pour Homme, Roger & Gallet Open, Dunhill for Men (1934), Prada Luna Rossa Carbon, Lubin Itasca

After probably a couple dozen wearings, I've lost track because I can't add it to the wardrobe, but I really enjoy the opening of this......The citrus and mint opening, that many have posted and in my original reaction post, is very enjoyable. I can detect the old school Polo smoke and pine but only in small little hints. Sometimes not at all. Thankfully, I feel no comparisons to Sauvage AT ALL.

And I'm still losing the smell of this stuff after a few hours but people around me can still smell it.

I see a few flankers jokes posted already. Though the jokes don't make sense, as Polo green rarely released flankers at all, but I'm now anxious that they do an annual green release. Most will be lame, I'm sure, but maybe they will hit a home run eventually.

Glad to see this keep popping up. I took a 2 week hiatus on it and then the other day decided to test my boundaries on it. I sprayed A lot...7-8 times inside T-shirt, on T-shirt, arm and nape of neck and this lasted all day at a very high strength but not enough where I thought it was bothersome to my wife or others but I could smell it on me. My thoughts haven’t changed..Polo-ish throughout but more in the drydown with mint/bubblegum in doses, a heavy woody mid note that shows up time to time late and sweet Polo finish. I don’t get any association with anything else on the market. I will say though, in the evening I kept opening my shirt and sniffing to get big inhales of it because I find it really enjoyable.
    --Super Troopers

I have 100+ fragrances. My choice for my wedding was Modern Reserve over Creeds, Malle, Kilians , Tauer etc. It was just the essence of my old me and the new me. Perfect
    There are only two great tragedies in life: one is not getting what you want and the other is getting it.
    Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    Glad to see this keep popping up. I took a 2 week hiatus on it and then the other day decided to test my boundaries on it. I sprayed A lot...7-8 times inside T-shirt, on T-shirt, arm and nape of neck and this lasted all day at a very high strength but not enough where I thought it was bothersome to my wife or others but I could smell it on me. My thoughts haven’t changed..Polo-ish throughout but more in the drydown with mint/bubblegum in doses, a heavy woody mid note that shows up time to time late and sweet Polo finish. I don’t get any association with anything else on the market. I will say though, in the evening I kept opening my shirt and sniffing to get big inhales of it because I find it really enjoyable.
    I've been following your experiences with this one as I think we may have some tastes in common. I don't need a ton of sillage; I wear most scents for me. I do like longevity. How's this one last with maybe 4 sprays for you? EDPs I generally expect to wear a bit close but to hang around most of the day. Not sure if that's the case with a smaller number of sprays with this one?

Toward Minimalism:
    Guerlain Vetiver, Richard James Savile Row, Terre d'Hermes EDT, Bleu de Chanel EDT, Azzaro Pour Homme, Roger & Gallet Open, Dunhill for Men (1934), Prada Luna Rossa Carbon, Lubin Itasca

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

After probably a couple dozen wearings, I've lost track because I can't add it to the wardrobe, but I really enjoy the opening of this......The citrus and mint opening, that many have posted and in my original reaction post, is very enjoyable. I can detect the old school Polo smoke and pine but only in small little hints. Sometimes not at all. Thankfully, I feel no comparisons to Sauvage AT ALL.

And I'm still losing the smell of this stuff after a few hours but people around me can still smell it.

I see a few flankers jokes posted already. Though the jokes don't make sense, as Polo green rarely released flankers at all, but I'm now anxious that they do an annual green release. Most will be lame, I'm sure, but maybe they will hit a home run eventually.
    You know, I'm glad they dialed down the smoke. It's making me want to try this new one all the more. Even Modern Reserve is too "reserved" on the old smoke for my taste now, although I think RL would make a bundle on a limited re-release.

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    I have 100+ fragrances. My choice for my wedding was Modern Reserve over Creeds, Malle, Kilians , Tauer etc. It was just the essence of my old me and the new me. Perfect
    Awesome! I love that thought!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

I'm really enjoying it. Def has that Pasha vibe to it.

Sent from my LE2117 using Tapatalk

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12