Code of Conduct

Question Correct sealed Roja Diaghilev box bought at Bergdorf but with Fragrance du Bois inside

About two weeks ago I special ordered Roja Diaghilev which was on special from Bergdorf Goodman. It was on back order, so I waited patiently. Today, I got my delivery from Bergdorf Goodman, opened the sealed box labeled Roja Diaghilev, and found a bottle of Fragrance du Bois New York Intense nestled inside, not the Diaghilev. It was surrealistic. After 20 minutes on the phone with Bergdorf, I got an RMA label and back it went. They’ve made a note to open the next box to make sure it really has a Diaghilev bottle in it before shipping it. This was a mixup at whatever company packs and ships Roja, and I wish I knew how to tell him to get some QC people there post haste to write up some check and balance ISO procedures to ensure it doesn’t happen again. Diaghilev is not a cheap bottle and this sort of error shouldn’t be happening.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Default Re: Correct sealed Roja Diaghilev box bought at Bergdorf but with Fragrance du Bois inside

No. That's a pretty bizarre high end frag error for sure.

Re-reading this, it sounds like you got a FRAGRANCE DU BOIS scent housed and wrapped in a branded ROJA DOVE box.
    Is that correct?

If yes, that really invites a lot of questions...

Main guess would be that ROJA and FRAGRANCE DU BOIS are using the same company to package and distribute their scents to retailers.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 19th March 2021 at 10:00 AM.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Default Re: Correct sealed Roja Diaghilev box bought at Bergdorf but with Fragrance du Bois inside

I wonder what scent was in the bottle. How deep did the error go.

Yeah, ok, probably just the wrong bottle in the box.

Dependent

Strange. This is the first time I've heard of something like this happening with such high end bottles.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

That is indeed bizarre, but glad it was quickly rectified.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    No. That's a pretty bizarre high end frag error for sure.

Re-reading this, it sounds like you got a FRAGRANCE DU BOIS scent housed and wrapped in a branded ROJA DOVE box.
    Is that correct?

If yes, that really invites a lot of questions...

Main guess would be that ROJA and FRAGRANCE DU BOIS are using the same company to package and distribute their scents to retailers.
    Yes, it was Fragrance du Bois (also a UK company) in a Roja branded, sealed box. I suspect a mix up at the packing plant. The bottle sniffed at the atomizer didn’t smell remotely like Diaghilev.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    That is indeed bizarre, but glad it was quickly rectified.
    I wonder how many boxes were miss-packed like this in error?

Missing Oakmoss

If you can contact Roja through their website (so as to have it in writing), I think it would be a good idea to let them know about this.

I noticed how strikingly similar the packaging was between Roja and FdB. Bottles/boxes and even the way they were packaged in the shipping box were so clearly simila to me. They must use the same supplier for packaging, as to whether the same supplier makes the scents, well that would be interesting to find out.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark.B View Post
    I wonder what scent was in the bottle.
    Aventus, 2012 batch.

Ok, so I can add a comment to make this almost more strange..... Bergdorf Goodman (at least looking online) do not carry Bois Du Portugal!!! So they sent something they don't sell.... Now if it's just the packaging center that blew it that still makes sense.

As to what took me there, I decided it wasn't polite to ask if the BDP had a higher value or not, and since the source was listed went to look it up....

Quote Originally Posted by woodnotes55 View Post
    Ok, so I can add a comment to make this almost more strange..... Bergdorf Goodman (at least looking online) do not carry Bois Du Portugal!!! So they sent something they don't sell.... Now if it's just the packaging center that blew it that still makes sense.

As to what took me there, I decided it wasn't polite to ask if the BDP had a higher value or not, and since the source was listed went to look it up....
    It’s the Roja packaging center that blew it—a Fragrance du Bois bottle in a sealed Roja box. I’ve sent Roja corporate a note through their website “contact us” link.

Quote Originally Posted by dogtoe View Post
    It’s the Roja packaging center that blew it—a Fragrance du Bois bottle in a sealed Roja box. I’ve sent Roja corporate a note through their website “contact us” link.
    Just imagine if some other retailer people are buying the FDB and getting the Roja.......

If it was on ebay, everybody would have shouted: 'those idiot counterfeiters are not even able to pack the right frag in the box...'. Because it's Bergdorf, it must be a 'packaging mistake', despite bottles do not fit the boxes at all....

But the hypothesis (the most credible) that bricks n mortar retailers are infested by fakes as much as ebay, no, uh? I just think that who pays full retail doesn't even want to consider what screems obvious...

Quote Originally Posted by woodnotes55 View Post

Bois du Portugal is a fragrance by Creed. Fragrance du Bois is a high-end fragrance house.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    But the hypothesis (the most credible) that bricks n mortar retailers are infested by fakes as much as ebay, no, uh
    Are there fakes in retail department stores? Perhaps. As much as eBay? Probably not.

Bois du Portugal is a fragrance by Creed. Fragrance du Bois is a high-end fragrance house.

You're right..... However it was a typo in my comment (not in the web looking), the rest was accurate. Bergdorf doesn't carry FDB... and using other sources that FDB selection was much cheaper than the specific Roja....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    Are there fakes in retail department stores? Perhaps. As much as eBay? Probably not.
    No, there aren't. You aren't talking about multi-million dollar businesses operating in the only part of the world that respects IP and copyrights, with your casual "perhaps".

This makes no sense at all. An extremely rare and random mistake by the manufacturer leads to the conclusion that retailers are somehow infested with fakes and just as unreliable as ebay?

Anybody can sell on ebay, I could put my toilet water in an empty bottle of Aventus and put it up for sale. I'd only run into trouble if a buyer made a claim against me that it's a fake, at which point I could just blame batch variation.

Brick and mortar retailers buy directly from brands, and many brands are very precious about maintaining their image and distribution channels. From designing their counter space, to training sales staff for their product, the brand to retailer relationship is direct and I don't see how fakes could get in the mix.

Now, huge online retailers like amazon or ebay or walmart that out source product fulfillment for sure is a recipe for fake goods entering the supply stream.

Man, the conspiracy theories people come up with on here really drive me nuts. I'm not even especially pro-capitalist or pro-business, but even I seem to have more faith in these companies than many who seem to think the the entire fragrance industry is designed to screw them over.

If it was on ebay, everybody would have shouted: 'those idiot counterfeiters are not even able to pack the right frag in the box...'. Because it's Bergdorf, it must be a 'packaging mistake', despite bottles do not fit the boxes at all....

But the hypothesis (the most credible) that bricks n mortar retailers are infested by fakes as much as ebay, no, uh? I just think that who pays full retail doesn't even want to consider what screems obvious...

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by dogtoe View Post
    About two weeks ago I special ordered Roja Diaghilev which was on special from Bergdorf Goodman. It was on back order, so I waited patiently. Today, I got my delivery from Bergdorf Goodman, opened the sealed box labeled Roja Diaghilev, and found a bottle of Fragrance du Bois New York Intense nestled inside, not the Diaghilev. It was surrealistic. After 20 minutes on the phone with Bergdorf, I got an RMA label and back it went. They’ve made a note to open the next box to make sure it really has a Diaghilev bottle in it before shipping it. This was a mixup at whatever company packs and ships Roja, and I wish I knew how to tell him to get some QC people there post haste to write up some check and balance ISO procedures to ensure it doesn’t happen again. Diaghilev is not a cheap bottle and this sort of error shouldn’t be happening.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

What’s the epilogue? Did RD respond to the mixup?
    Sometimes I just agree with people so they can stop talking. — Jet Li

Quote Originally Posted by cheapimitation View Post
    This makes no sense at all. An extremely rare and random mistake by the manufacturer leads to the conclusion that retailers are somehow infested with fakes and just as unreliable as ebay?

Anybody can sell on ebay, I could put my toilet water in an empty bottle of Aventus and put it up for sale. I'd only run into trouble if a buyer made a claim against me that it's a fake, at which point I could just blame batch variation.

Brick and mortar retailers buy directly from brands, and many brands are very precious about maintaining their image and distribution channels. From designing their counter space, to training sales staff for their product, the brand to retailer relationship is direct and I don't see how fakes could get in the mix.

Now, huge online retailers like amazon or ebay or walmart that out source product fulfillment for sure is a recipe for fake goods entering the supply stream.

Man, the conspiracy theories people come up with on here really drive me nuts. I'm not even especially pro-capitalist or pro-business, but even I seem to have more faith in these companies than many who seem to think the the entire fragrance industry is designed to screw them over.
    Exactly! But he hides behind free speech to make wild accusations and assertions that don't even make sense whatsoever. Like Bergdorf and such places would risk a huge counterfeiting operation and be banned by brands from ever carrying their stuff. So, I'm the luxury business and I will take a sizeable risk that will completely take me out the exact business that I'm in. Yeah, that makes a whole lot of sense. LOL

And don't get me started on his comments about the guy paying full retail. I don't see how that's not seen as a personal attack on another member. He doesn't know the circumstances behind dogtoe's purchase and quite frankly, it's none of Andy's business.

Back to the story at hand, I too am curious whatever came of it.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Zadig & Voltaire This is Him!
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa