Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I know Salvador Dali pH is not a safe blind buy but... I'm thinking I MIGHT just love it

I've been reading a lot about Salvador Dali pour Homme recently. A vintage could be bought for a reasonable price.

The question is, would a blind buy be too risky? Yes, only my own nose can know for sure, but still wanted to get some opinions.

I'm listing some examples below that I believe could reveal something about my likelihood of (dis)liking Salvador Dali pour Homme:

First some dislikes:
    Yatagan - one of my strongest dislikes ever due to its edible dark herbal-spiciness, quite fusty
    Caron pour Homme - stale and fusty
    Grey Flannel - "old lady floral"
    Aramis 900 - not bad but getting unnecessarily floral

On the fence:

Antaeus - I'd prefer it to be a little less clean, less amiable/outgoing/flamboyant in its dandyness. Without the (minimal) bite of the castoreum, this would be too floral and feminine to me
    Jacomo de Jacomo - kind of inward-drawn and approaching the "edible spicy" territory I get from Yatagan

Some loves:
    Knize Ten - old school floral done right! Love the pungency and the slap on the face in the opening
    Fahrenheit - Love it! Mentioning this because of the "petrol" note (Dali supposedly smells of "diesel")
    Comme des Garcons Black - I love how aromatic this is. Some say this is too sweet but to me, the sweetness is balanced by the pungency
    L'eau Bleue d'Issey - I mention this because of the pungent herbal-aromatic-medicinal aspect, which I absolutely love
    CdG Zagorsk - a hint of tar and smoke, bracingly aromatic

So I guess in summary, aromatic and pungent: "Oh yeah!", and floral: "...Uh, it depends"
    Spray less, love more.

Default Re: I know Salvador Dali pH is not a safe blind buy but... I'm thinking I MIGHT just love it

to me its a mess..... all over the show, dissonant .
    There are only two great tragedies in life: one is not getting what you want and the other is getting it.
    Oscar Wilde

Default Re: I know Salvador Dali pH is not a safe blind buy but... I'm thinking I MIGHT just love it

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    to me its a mess..... all over the show, dissonant .
    Well, that doesn't sound too promising. Because what you say sort of reminds me of Antaeus, which "spreads out" in many directions, ending up with an aura of opulence and flamboyance. Almost like some Amouage - only not smelling like an Amouage. An older man in a floral patterned shirt (buttoned only 1/3 of the way) approaching to force hug you.
    Spray less, love more.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by motorcade View Post
    I've been reading a lot about Salvador Dali pour Homme recently. A vintage could be bought for a reasonable price.

The question is, would a blind buy be too risky?
    IMO - No.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I’m not old, I’m vintage.

Dali isn’t much like your dislikes. Not that it’s so much like your likes, either, but it’s probably more akin to them than Yatagan or Caron pour Homme (neither of which I like) or Grey Flannel and Aramis 900 (both of which I do like). There’s a small chance you’ll find it too floral, but I doubt it.

Basenotes Plus

Well, that doesn't sound too promising.... An older man in a floral patterned shirt (buttoned only 1/3 of the way) approaching to force hug you.
    CC99FA19-651E-4892-964D-CFBBFF7EA0D3.jpg

“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain
    Currently wearing: Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

Dependent

I think this has been reformulated a few times, and you don't know if you're going to get the smell of burnt electrical wiring, or florals. I had an older one that smelled of the former, but have subsequently read reviews of newer iterations that speak of florals. So I don't know, but my version was pretty bad.

I read someone comparing this to Amouage Memoir Man (which I like when sprayed in moderation - Memoir Man manages to surprise me with different facets).

In terms of sweet woodsiness particularly, how does Dali compare? I've experienced Memoir Man as both cloying AND not cloying, during different wearings.
    Spray less, love more.

OK, getting close to blind buying this now. Thanks for your input everyone!
    Spray less, love more.

A mini can be found cheap online, perhaps that may be a good option.

I bought it blind, but it was very inexpensive at the time so not much of a risk. It reminded me a bit of Kouros

Considering your fragrance tastes, perhaps not very risky even as a blind buy-considering your more classic and rather powerhouse fragrance tastes

I don't know the recent reformulation(s), but the one a good 20 years ago was a rather good scent. I don't say it would be risky - especially in a mini size. Of the scents you enlisted, I didn't find any one to be similar to Dali.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    That's what I did. My sense is that mini's are the original formulation ? I didn't think it was terrible at all.

But yeah, I didn't jump right on a FB. It seems reasonable to sample first.
    Currently wearing: Potion by Dsquared2

Given the inevitably high shipping cost, the quality risk with vintage minis and the reasonable price of a full 50 ml spray... I might just as well blind buy the full bottle.
    Spray less, love more.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Sampling it first with a decant or a mini would be the best approach.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Recent blind buy for me. Love it. Inexpensive and high quality. A safe blind buy if you find it at a good price.

I bought it blind a long time ago and was really happy with it and still enjoy it. Based upon what you've said, it's closest in style to your "on the fence" examples.

I recently acquired the Cofinluxe version and I'm enjoying it! Yes, there are hints of Kouros, Grey Flannel in the opening but on most part it settles as a unique patchouli scent... Probably not as loud but longevity is surprisingly good. Thankfully, the first three wears have been revealing each time and garnered a couple of unexpected compliments. Unisex in my opinion... I would be patient and let its charm seduce. It's a grower...

Blog Entries

It's not bad, but it's not really a love fragrance. I can't think of anyone who raves about it, and I know when I tried it, I found it pretty boring. the opening is a burst of alcohol, which develops into a noticeably dark anise and lavender.. it sort of smells like a dark Azzaro pH, there's also a musky undertone, and something sweet in the background (probably vanilla). It actually reminds me of Zino (which I hate), but like a more cleaned up version of Zino. The opening array of notes kind of creates an incense accord, there's also a slight fecal odor to my nose. I am telling you this based on putting it on my skin right now from a sample. I don't remember much of the opening, so I did this to refresh my mind, and with nothing on skin, that's fine.

There's something in the middle that I dislike, it's sort of like the smell of oud, way before oud was a thing. It's like a plasticy, chemical sort of wood, it really just kinda smells like plastic. Strangely it reminds me of a much later fragrance, that being One Man Show Oud Edition, but only during this session in the middle, before it switches into a patchouli heavy dry down. it also kind of reminds me of Jacomo de Jacomo, or Givenchy Gentleman.

I think you will probably be in the same boat with me, you will think it's just ok. It isn't really unique, and it isn't really as dark as people make it out to be. If you can get a good deal on a bottle, it's worth it, I don't think they're too expensive yet. I am pretty sure it's discontinued, so if anything, it will be a good investment. The bottle alone is a piece of art.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    It's not bad, but it's not really a love fragrance. I can't think of anyone who raves about it, and I know when I tried it, I found it pretty boring. the opening is a burst of alcohol, which develops into a noticeably dark anise and lavender.. it sort of smells like a dark Azzaro pH, there's also a musky undertone, and something sweet in the background (probably vanilla). It actually reminds me of Zino (which I hate), but like a more cleaned up version of Zino. The opening array of notes kind of creates an incense accord, there's also a slight fecal odor to my nose. I am telling you this based on putting it on my skin right now from a sample. I don't remember much of the opening, so I did this to refresh my mind, and with nothing on skin, that's fine.

There's something in the middle that I dislike, it's sort of like the smell of oud, way before oud was a thing. It's like a plasticy, chemical sort of wood, it really just kinda smells like plastic. Strangely it reminds me of a much later fragrance, that being One Man Show Oud Edition, but only during this session in the middle, before it switches into a patchouli heavy dry down. it also kind of reminds me of Jacomo de Jacomo, or Givenchy Gentleman.

I think you will probably be in the same boat with me, you will think it's just ok. It isn't really unique, and it isn't really as dark as people make it out to be. If you can get a good deal on a bottle, it's worth it, I don't think they're too expensive yet. I am pretty sure it's discontinued, so if anything, it will be a good investment. The bottle alone is a piece of art.
    This pretty much sums it up for me. I'm a big classic powerhouse fan and love a lot of fragrances which people frequently compare to the Dali but I ended up selling my 100ml bottle as the 'fecal' note mentioned by Cologneist just meant I never wanted to wear it. There was just an 'off' smell which once my nose had picked up never disappeared. I still have a mini bottle and it's exactly the same. Apart from that aspect of it I actually quite liked it but wished I could un-smell the weird, off putting note. Interesting that it's a Thierry Wasser creation though...who'd have guessed...!

It's an essential purchase for all men imo -- a truly great fragrance, it's 'otherworldly'

The things holding me back at the moment:
    - By some reports, cloyingly/suffocatingly sweet vanillic drydown
    - "Culinary spicy meaty" qualities (Yatagan?!).

Prominent patchouli as in Givenchy Gentleman, Lapidus pour Homme, Giorgio for Men or Jovan Sex Appeal is not a problem (on the contrary!). The strong florals will remain a question mark until I get to sniff this because so much of "it depends" (the rose in One Man Show = cheap restroom, Antaeus = overly flamboyant dandy, Grey Flannel = stale "old lady" BUT Etro ManRose & Declaration d'Un Soir = fantastic manly enough darker rose).
    Spray less, love more.

It doesn't remind me much of the others you've listed here so I couldn't say whether it would be blind buy worthy for you. Pretty polarizing scent that is as you say aromatic & pungent but also has an animalic funk too. The only thing that gets anywhere near its ballpark that I've tried is Kouros (especially modern Kouros) but they really aren't close at all, just a similar odd vibe in that they focus on clashing clean and dirty notes, but Salvador Dali pour homme goes in a more decidedly herbal & musky direction compared to Kouros' barbershop vs civet vibe.

Its not a safe blind buy no matter what you've tried to be honest. You might want to get a decant first
    Formerly known as BeardedBarbershopFan - Still have a beard and still a barbershop fan

So I received my blind bought Salvador Dali pH (1st vintage) yesterday. Thanks everyone for your input!

I'm wearing this now and I really like it! Even though not smelling too similar, I can't avoid the impression this one has some elements I wished current Antaeus to have: more character, edge, bite.
    Spray less, love more.

Sound Scents

I have only sniffed (and own) the original formulation, which I personally think smells great. That said, based on your likes and dislikes I recommend sampling first as it may not be a good fit.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Jasmin Antique (Rogue Perfumery)

3) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    3) Giorgio V.I.P. Special Reserve (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie

5) Dia pour Homme vintage edt (Amouage)

6) Nombre Noir (Shiseido)
    7) Lucifer (Renaissance Fragrances)
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren)
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy)
    10)Javanese Patchouli (Zegna)

Hi motor,

Ha! I too just received my bottle of "Dali" two days ago. I VERY much like this Fragrance as it is on the "dark" side and rather unique. I just love the opening however, my major complaint is that (at least on me) "Dali" waaaay too quickly becomes a "Skin" scent with very little (to NO) projection. I can't quite put my Finger on what this Fragrance reminds me of (type) Fragrances. I'm not good at describing notes (but I know what I like). I get a bit of the smell of perhaps heliotropin and I also do get a bit of "Animalic". Not that "Dali" smells like the following but, I would group "Dali" with the likes of my "warmer/darker" Fragrances such as "Dzing!", Gray Flannel, Mechant Loup, Marlou d'ambigant, Mitsouko, Encre Noire, Yatagan, Bat, Dark Rebel, Lilac Vegetal, etc. type of "vibe". Damn, I only wish it stronger! I too LOVE the bottle! Enjoy.

SixCats!

Quote Originally Posted by SixCats View Post
    Hi motor,

Ha! I too just received my bottle of "Dali" two days ago. I VERY much like this Fragrance as it is on the "dark" side and rather unique. I just love the opening however, my major complaint is that (at least on me) "Dali" waaaay too quickly becomes a "Skin" scent with very little (to NO) projection. I can't quite put my Finger on what this Fragrance reminds me of (type) Fragrances. I'm not good at describing notes (but I know what I like). I get a bit of the smell of perhaps heliotropin and I also do get a bit of "Animalic". Not that "Dali" smells like the following but, I would group "Dali" with the likes of my "warmer/darker" Fragrances such as "Dzing!", Gray Flannel, Mechant Loup, Marlou d'ambigant, Mitsouko, Encre Noire, Yatagan, Bat, Dark Rebel, Lilac Vegetal, etc. type of "vibe". Damn, I only wish it stronger! I too LOVE the bottle! Enjoy.

SixCats!
    Glad to see you liked it.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

Quote Originally Posted by SixCats View Post
    Hi motor,

SixCats!
    I think it's potent enough with decent longevity (although I have to admit longevity is very rarely an issue for me). My main issue is the atomizer, which is easily the worst I have ever encountered. Every time, the first couple of pumps produce nothing! Very odd.
    Spray less, love more.

So I received my blind bought Salvador Dali pH (1st vintage) yesterday. Thanks everyone for your input!

I'm wearing this now and I really like it! Even though not smelling too similar, I can't avoid the impression this one has some elements I wished current Antaeus to have: more character, edge, bite.
    Nothing beats a blind buy with an happy ending!
    FREE AS THE WIND!