Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default What's the last frag you physically scrubbed off, and when?

For me: it was 5 mins before posting this topic. The fragrance is Dunhill Century. I wore it once before and it was an absolute chore to get to the dry down. even now I just used baby wipes to scrub it off, when I probably just rubbed it in more.. not in the mood to go to the bathroom and have to shower this off. It's definitely the worst thing I've smelled from Dunhill, and I have smelled almost the entire men's catalog. It's like a sour leather scent, and it's also abnormally potent, and powerful.

I don't normally really scrub frags off, unless they're really bad, which is the case here. I know the term scrubber is more so used hypothetically, but I have scrubbed off a few frags before, this may be the 20th or so.
    Currently wearing: Ombre Noir by Lalique

Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: What's the last frag you physically scrubbed off, and when?

Shay & Blue Blueberry Musk

I seen Blueberry, and I seen D&G Light Blue pour femme as the 'similar' frag, so I was pretty hyped for it because that sounds awesome to me. tried it about a month ago but opening was so potently white floral screaming femininity I scrubbed it within like 2 minutes. No blueberries to my nose so I didn't really care anyways, but the leftover scent was like Light Blue and did smell good so whatever

Basenotes Plus

On purpose, and not just from regular cleaning... maybe Montale Mukhallat.
    Not that it was bad, it was just seemingly contributing to a headache, and I probably wanted to apply something else/others to test.
    Edit: Oh, on 3/20 it seems.
    Last edited by ILikePeeps; 24th March 2021 at 10:13 AM.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by d r e View Post
    Shay & Blue Blueberry Musk

I seen Blueberry, and I seen D&G Light Blue pour femme as the 'similar' frag, so I was pretty hyped for it because that sounds awesome to me. But yeah opening was so potently white floral screaming femininity I scrubbed it within like 2 minutes. No blueberries to my nose so I didn't really care anyways, but the leftover scent was like Light Blue and did smell good so whatever
    Fwiw, Jay Z Gold has a great blueberry note, granted it doesn't last very long, and it's on the sweeter side. The best and most potent blueberry I have ever smelled in a fragrance is Demeter's Blueberry, it has to be experienced to understand how incredibly blueberry-tastic it is, again though it's on the sweet side, and it's not really something you wanna wear, but it could work for layering.
    Currently wearing: Ombre Noir by Lalique

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post

I don't normally really scrub frags off, unless they're really bad, which is the case here. .

Same here, usually let it go even if don't like something hoping it changes. Very few times, definitely under 5, have had to try to get rid of something. And same as you it happened on a second wearing.... of Montale Aeromatic Lime. I can handle Old Spice Lime to Floris Lime, but in the Aromatic Lime there is no lime note but some kind of rotten/sour/cat piss. With time that note gets stronger and stronger and takes it over.... I ended up washing hand/lower arm about three times and then spraying one of the modern aroma chem things I can tolerate a bunch of sprays to cover it up. No way am using any more of that sample!!!

One of the Xerjoff Oud scents that I sampled late last year. Barnyard ouds aren't my thing.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: L'Humaniste by Frapin

Physically scrubbed off:

Etro - Dianthus

Yesterday.
    Floral carnation-rose/geranium with herbal astringency, some fixatives* and vanilla.
    Warm and dirty/animalic musk up front, vanilla, wood and grainy pepper.

Too feminine.

*Those fixatives are the trademark of the current line.
    A year ago I didn't detect those fixatives at all. But for 2-3 months since I started detecting them, they have become increasingly difficult to ignore.
    They're not very annoying, but they certainly will not get extra points.

Scrubbed off in my mind:

Hermes - H24

A couple of weeks ago.
    It doesn't look like something I'd like, but it was hyped, so I was curious.
    But if I knew it has ozonic notes, I would have tested it on paper, not on my skin.
    I can't say it was awful, but I certainly didn't like it at all.

Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

Just yesterday actually, received 5 samples from the house of Electimuss.

Did a spray of each on different parts of my arms, took a few sniffs and was repulsed.

Instant scrub off and samples went straight in the bin.

Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet

Either I got a really bad decant, or it smells like an unappealing and dated fake lime/citrus note. Whatever it was, it was gross and I threw the decant away.

Dependent

Franck Boclet's Tobacco. I scrubbed it with soap and water and could still smell that nuclear sweet mess. Thank goodness real tobacco doesn't really smell like that!

Amouage Opus VI - was almost impossible to get off my wrist.

It's not a bad fragrance in terms of smell, I just can't tolerate the aromachemicals in it. And I'm not usuallty that sensitive to such things.

I'm talking extreme headache, dizziness, disorientation. This stuff messes with your mind!
    Currently wearing: Myths Man by Amouage

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Azzaro Silver Black, about a year ago. It was too dark and murky but not in a good way.
    AMen, a few years ago. Just too powerful and unpleasant for me.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

I'm pretty cautious. None that I can remember. OUD INFINI was pretty intense animalic but I knew it wasn't going to last and I wasn't going anywhere so I let run its course. AMOUAGE INTERLUDE with the oregano I may have scrubbed off.
    I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.
    Currently wearing: No. 89 by Floris

Hermes - Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    NOT because I did not like it (was good!), but because I understood it rather quickly, was not enamoured with it and I wanted to sample another fragrance on the same arm (not exact same spot)

The latest I scrubbed of because off active dislike was 1740 by HdP OR Arso by Profumum (they arrived in the same sample pack order. Have to say that Arso was more tolerant to my nose than 1740)

Dior - Tobacolor.

While I wore it for a solid 8 hours or so to make sure it was what I thought it was... I just couldn't take any more.
    Current Winter Favorites:

1. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    2. Brückner - Aoud 1
    3. Creed - Royal Oud
    4. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Generation Man
    5. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    6. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    7. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Mortal Skin
    8. Creed - Royal English Leather
    9. Creed - Bois du Portugal
    10. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions

Never really happened to the extent of having to rush to the bathroom to scrub off a scent, but when sampling Yatagan, I didn't want to leave it reeking on the back of my hand so I opted to wash it off. Probably the same happened when sampling Interlude Man.
    Spray less, love more.

Dependent

The ones made me ran to the washroom to scrub them off:

Terre D' Hermes
    TM Angel Men
    Caron Yatagan
    Thameen Green Pearl

Basenotes Plus

Spicebomb .....intolerable

“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Aramis in 1967
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Dependent

I can't actually remember. It's not common for me to dislike a fragrance so much that I feel compelled to scrub it off. And when I do, I'm more likely to consider it forgettable than scarring.

Fahrenheit
    It was recent. I decided to try this very popular perfume and blind bought a big bottle. I ended up gifting it away the next day with an apologetic warning.
    I sprayed it on my wrist and was transported to a mower repair shop. It smelled like a two stroke's exhaust. I thought, if I ever want to smell like this I'll just go run my leaf blower around the yard. I tried to wait for it to get better after the dry down. No improvement. I just wanted to cut my arm off. I had to scrub. Fahrenheit is not for me. I bet it has Kerosene in it. I thought, who would make this abomination, I must have gotten punk'd by the basenoters! Maybe the fragrance has changed or been reformulated, maybe I got a bad bottle, idk but to me it was awful!

2 days ago - Viking

Xerjoff Alexandria II

I just couldn't stand the smell, and it kept going and going until I couldn't take it any longer.
    Current Top 10:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    MFK Baccarat Rouge 540
    Creed Royal Oud
    Armani Prive Myrrhe Imperiale
    Aventus Cologne
    MFK Grand Soir
    Roja Dove Elysium Cologne
    MDCI Invasion Barbare
    Creed Viking
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais
    Currently wearing: XJ 1861 Naxos by Xerjoff

TDH Parfum. Just too strong and and concentrated. Gave me a good headache and almost made me dislike the EDT as well, as I then zeroed in on what was making the Parfum smell so concentrated.

I can't remember any other ones that I've scrubbed off for disliking. I've scrubbed off for being too strong and being at work, but that doesn't count here.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Zadig & Voltaire This is Him!
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Azzaro Silver Black, about a year ago. It was too dark and murky but not in a good way.
    AMen, a few years ago. Just too powerful and unpleasant for me.
    Azzaro Silver Black definitely is a odd fragrance I spent a good amount of time with it years ago and never really bonded with it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cologne Cabinet View Post
    Spicebomb .....intolerable
    Have you tried Guerlain L’Instant De Guerlain Pour Homme EDP, it’s the only sweet gourmand I enjoy and find extremely classy.

Guerlain Heritage, the other day.
    I try to get on with it but the French lavender is suffocating, made worse by the heavy vanilla & patchouli. And there’s something in it that smells like eucalyptus(or maybe cactus?) i can’t tolerate.
    I like the fragrance, and respect it, but I just can’t wear it.

Don‘t recall which was the last one, as I don‘t scrub often (and usually try again sometime). Scrubbers for me were:
    Pour un Homme
    Y EdP
    Unique Wood
    Layton Exclusif
    The Cobra and the Canary
    Currently wearing: Paradis Perdu by Frapin

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    TDH Parfum. Just too strong and and concentrated. Gave me a good headache and almost made me dislike the EDT as well, as I then zeroed in on what was making the Parfum smell so concentrated.

I can't remember any other ones that I've scrubbed off for disliking. I've scrubbed off for being too strong and being at work, but that doesn't count here.
    I’m in the same boat. I don’t think I’ve ever scrubbed because I didn’t like a scent, but there have been plenty that I’ve scrubbed because they gave me a headache (whether because of their strength or tenacity or because of some aromachemical). Aventus, Terre d’Hermes, and A*men Pure Wood come to mind. None smell the least revolting, but all are headache-inducing (I can actually wear the current TdH with no problems if applied lightly).

There have also been scents that I thoroughly enjoy, but showered off because I wore them to heavily or sort of got exhausted of. Are we counting those, or just fragrances we scrubbed because we didn’t like them?

In general, I’m reluctant to scrub unless a fragrance affects me physically. In fact, I almost consider it a badge of pride if I dislike a scent but power through it (and maybe even come to enjoy it). Kind of like trying new foods or going on a rollercoaster; you just need a little time to come around on something. Some of the fragrances listed above (Yatagan, and Fahrenheit, for instance) I’ve really come to love, and wouldn’t own full bottles had I given up after the first try. I keep samples of fragrances I don’t like for this very reason. Sometimes it never clicks. Maybe I’m just a masochist.

As an aside, I really like Dunhill Century, but my wife says it bothers her (not the smell, but a certain AC). She can pick it up as soon as I get home from work, a good 8 hours after application.

Montecristo