Code of Conduct

Default What difference in scent does spraying on you clothes instead of your skin make?

Im a total cologne noob I dont know anything. What I've always done is if I want a cologne to last a long time I spray it on my shirt instead of my skin. What does that do to the scent? I've read before you're not supposed to do that if you want it to smell properly.

Default Re: What difference in scent does spraying on you clothes instead of your skin make?

Heat makes a perfume evaporate faster. So sprayed on clothes, perfumes project much less but last longer. Depending on the perfume, it's possible that clothes will project fewer notes than skin, but overall, I'd say it's more a matter of preference (ie how strong/long lasting you want a perfume to be).

Also, you need to make sure that the perfume doesn't damage the clothes. Usually they don't, but a few perfumes can stain.

cacio

All Is Beautiful

Default Re: What difference in scent does spraying on you clothes instead of your skin make?

That’s all I ever do. Love it. And it’s safer. It can slow progression. It can mute some notes.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Heat makes a perfume evaporate faster. So sprayed on clothes, perfumes project much less but last longer. Depending on the perfume, it's possible that clothes will project fewer notes than skin, but overall, I'd say it's more a matter of preference

cacio
    This.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

For me the fragrance becomes dead, i.e. it's not being allowed to interact with your skin and natural oils which makes it unique to you.

I usually spray overly synthetic fragrances on clothing (ie Carolina Herrera) and more natural ones go on skin but there are exceptions. After a while it just became instinctive.
    Most citrus-centric fragrances I will usually spray on skin but try to get some on clothing to stretch the longevity a little. Most naturals getting skin time allows them to warm up and pop once they mingle with your own skins oils. Experiment and find what works best for you.

There is someone that comes to mind that would always smell great no matter what fragrance they would wear and it was ALWAYS on skin but they always exuded a lot of heat.

All Is Beautiful

I never put fragrances on skin because anything you put on your skin is absorbed into your body and these fragrances contain many toxic compounds. Clothing is safer. I do great with clothing and don't miss fragrances on skin at all.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Apart from less olfactory fatigue and slightly more projection sensed, perhaps not much else - at least speaking from own experience
    Currently wearing: L'Occitan by L'Occitane

Basenotes Institution

Spraying on clothes usually last a little longer, due to the evaporation factor on skin.

The difference is that the clothes get smelly instead of you.

JK. Fragrances develop differently on fabric and on skin. You will notice this clearly when you’ll gonna like a fragrance on a tester strip and then, when you try it on your skin you’ll notice it smells way different.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.
    Currently wearing: Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

Banned

Fabric can't get cancer. Re smell, it will react slightly less to body heat?

I used to spray on skin only, convinced that it doesn't smell quite right on clothing, but changed my mind lately.

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

I feel like a scent doesn't go through it's many levels like it should if you wear it on clothing. Just my experience though. Could be different for most.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Skin and clothing together works best for me. If I apply on skin only, it’s a more casual experience / less immersing.

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    I never put fragrances on skin because anything you put on your skin is absorbed into your body and these fragrances contain many toxic compounds. Clothing is safer. I do great with clothing and don't miss fragrances on skin at all.
    Live a little.
    --
    Currently wearing: Tibetan Musk by Ensar Oud

Quote Originally Posted by Crema View Post
    Im a total cologne noob I dont know anything. What I've always done is if I want a cologne to last a long time I spray it on my shirt instead of my skin. What does that do to the scent? I've read before you're not supposed to do that if you want it to smell properly.
    Wear it anywhere. On clothing it usually smells best on natural fabrics.
    --
    Currently wearing: Tibetan Musk by Ensar Oud

Everyone has their own approach so feel free to do what works for you Crema! I personally noticed that I was starting to develop skin sensitivity on my chest where I was spraying perfumes so I had to switch to clothing. I still use my arms to test fragrances but when I am wearing from a spray option I always use clothes. Bonus, the scent also lasts longer.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I feel like a scent doesn't go through it's many levels like it should if you wear it on clothing. Just my experience though. Could be different for most.
    I feel similar to you.

here is my take on it and it is approaching it at a different angle. The fragrances I don't like, the ones I will not wear. I put a few sprays on towels that I don't use. Maybe, I will spray some on clothes hanging in the back room too.
    I don't have a problem with that. This gives the room a nice fragrance. I avoid wearing the ones I don't like but I am utilizing the fragrance as an air freshener.
    The question is how much should we use on our skin? That answer is different for every each one of us. : ) and it depends on the fragrance absolutely.
    Last edited by new but older; 13th May 2021 at 01:52 PM. Reason: grammar and clarification

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    Same here. But not because of toxic compounds, but because all fragrances smell better to me when put on clothing. Maybe it got something to do with my skin..