Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dependent

Default New Smelly Game Proposal

Going Places

A new smelly game proposal

1. Introduction

For the purpose of this brief, let us assume perfumes are means of expression, that we blend them in order to make sense of the world. And the world has been a place hardly accessible to us for a while. Many of us have been stuck at home for months on end.

2. The Challenge

We take our noses on holiday. No place in the Universe is off limits. One of the greatest perks of blending a perfume is that the result can be outstanding in spite of the theme being mundane. A perfume inspired by running up and down a shopping district, with flip-flops, may as well turn out better than a perfume about a hike in Tundra. Even if both composed with equal skill.

3. The Brief

Following the last two games, the submission may include a story and/or perfume description which is essentially meant to help the judges evaluate/enjoy the perfume.The list of ingredients or the formula may be disclosed or kept secret. The perfume for this challenge is going to be linked to a place. The association can be vague. very personal or specific, as well as quite abstract. The brief might help the judges assess the perfumer's intention.

4. Rules

Judging is difficult and time consuming so the participants are required to include the story with the perfume in the single shipment. The submitted perfumes will be assumed to be safe on skin (IFRA compliant) if not stated otherwise. The submissions are expected to be original creations for this event.

5. Deadline

Either dispatched no later than July 15. 2021 or arrived no later than July 31. 2021, whichever works in favour of the participant.

6. Evaluation and Review

The judges are essentially free to evaluate perfumes as they please provided reasonable uniformity, i.e.all the participants should be treated roughly in the same manner. Nonetheless, the reviews are meant to help perfumers so we propose three factors the judges are encouraged to address:

• Blind test: an important part of perfume evaluation, and often offers very valuable feedback.
      • Factual: this part is supposed to assess whether the perfume reflects its brief and the challenge in general. If a perfumer choses a fishing holiday the perfume is likely to be less pleasing than a perfume inspired by chugging Mojitos during salsa evenings but if well executed thefishy perfume should score here well.
      • Creative Direction: in this part we hope to benefit from judges experience by having their suggestions how to improve the perfume.

7. Scoring system, optional. We want to keep it fun

If we go for evaluating the submissions with numeric values, say 0 to 10, I’d suggest 3 categories:

1. Best average score.
      2. Best love-hate score, that is the largest standard deviation.
      3. Best total score which is 1. + 2.

So with four judges a perfume graded 8888 would win against a perfume graded 8844 in 1. but lose in 2. and tie in 3.:

8888:
      1. score = 8
      2. score = 0
      3. score = 8

8844:
      1. score = 6
      2. score = 2
      3. score = 8

Last edited by xii; 26th March 2021 at 07:57 PM.

Default Re: New Smelly Game Proposal

My gosh, I accidentally did that sort of thing on the last game (an imagined place) but that was the first time I ever did and rather doubt I could compose according to a place again!

Still, my weaknesses there aside, that seemed to go very well with the Beach game, from all accounts and seems a promising plan. Another top point is it really allows a lot of freedom while still being thematic and providing organization.

Quite interesting idea on a love-hate score, both including as its own category and in including it as part of a total. Very interesting actually.

Great plan, xii, thank you! Hope it goes very well for everyone.

Hopefully we will have the current one wrapped up by then, I would think so, I guess, as you have given good margin.

Dependent

First, nothing would/will happen without Jolie. I'm very thankful!

It's still a draft but I don't seem to bend my mind to improve it any further.
    All comments and suggestions are very welcome, directly here or PM.

I'd be more than happy to engage the judges from the last game.
    Bavard said yes, yey!
    Harry, Kacper, Paul, William, please confirm or reject here or in PM to me or Jolie.

The first post will likely be edited, I'll bump the thread whenever it occurs.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Roberts View Post
    My gosh, I accidentally did that sort of thing on the last game (an imagined place) but that was the first time I ever did and rather doubt I could compose according to a place again!
    Yeah, that's where the idea came from: your visiting a certain place in time, Geco's paradise of Goa, Ferntim's daydreaming. All these things made me jealous.

Btw, while a bit off track from current and I don't mean to stay off track, your providing added information and thoughts on Arab philosophers, that I had no idea of, back when I first mentioned al-Kindi further added to my interest in the era and I expect further led to wanting to try a perfume hopefully reminiscent of his time and place.

Thanks to Xii & Jolie for their efforts here. Please consider me an excited participant!
    Currently wearing: Skiff by Madhat Scents

Quote Originally Posted by xii View Post
    First, nothing would/will happen without Jolie. I'm very thankful!

It's still a draft but I don't seem to bend my mind to improve it any further.
    All comments and suggestions are very welcome, directly here or PM.

I'd be more than happy to engage the judges from the last game.
    Bavard said yes, yey!
    Harry, Kacper, Paul, William, please confirm or reject here or in PM to me or Jolie.

The first post will likely be edited, I'll bump the thread whenever it occurs.
    I’ll be happy to judge again!

I hope to see lots of thought into what aspects of the perfume link to the place chosen, and I also hope to see a brief that reflects that as well.

Excited to judge another competition! If I have the time, I may create my own submission, not to necessarily be judged but to give as an example. If people are on board with that.

I have an idea for a cinnamon/dry desert type perfume inspired by the planet Arrakis from the book Dune, by Frank Herbert...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cheers, Happy Perfuming!
    Will

maybe this time also put a timelimit for the judges
    'Today I'm a star. What will I be tomorrow? A black hole?'
    — Woody Allen

Basenotes Junkie

I’m in ! What fun -
    Judging time limits sounds good - but we really have to work around them- to have time, and inclination, and inspiration etc -
    Is a very big ask. They have something to say about perfumes they don’t like- so I wouldn’t put too fine a point on it- just know if you enter , you could be waiting...

Simply as a note in case of impression a time limit had neglected to be mentioned for the last game, one was given (a month, which possibly wasn't enough given what proved a large number of participants.)

I do agree one should be said for this one as well.

Purely as suggestion only, perhaps judges start reporting after 30 days, and desirably all evaluations will be posted during the next 30 days?

Not meaning so much literally 30, but for example, if perfumes are supposed to arrive no later than July 31, then say evaluations start getting posted Sep 1 and hopefully all will be in by end of September?

Dependent

Once I have the list of judges I'll try adjust the deadline so that it doesn't collide with their activities.

One month for evaluations seems reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by benjwi02 View Post
    I have an idea for a cinnamon/dry desert type perfume inspired by the planet Arrakis from the book Dune, by Frank Herbert...
    Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife!

thanks for your effort, and please count me in to participate!

I am in and very excited! I love the contest brief, especially the bit about some blind judging. Maybe we could (somehow??) organize contestants receiving numbers — something to track their fragrances — and then assigning those numbers to the scents for the judges? So it's really, completely blind, but in the end, still easy to figure out whose feedback is whose.

Not a bad idea IMO, for two possible reasons (or perhaps more*.) It would be ruined though if everyone, but one, decided they wanted to acknowledge/discuss which theirs was. Then process of elimination would do in whoever might have preferred lasting secrecy.

* Fear of embarrassment causing reluctance to enter, fear of embarrassment or having highly competitive or perfectionistic nature causing stress if entering, and/or fear that a judge's past posts or one's own past posts suggest possible partiality are what come to mind as possible.

I love it and please count me in, great ideas Xii, thanks!

Dependent

Blind perfume evaluation is a dream shared by many of us. Harry's blind reviews gave the idea quite some encouragement.

For the US, the mechanism is already in place: we could send all the submissions to one person, who, in turn, would distribute it among the judges.
    Continental Europe would work too. I guess I could manage it provided my pathological absent mindedness wouldn't make me swap vials again.
    I wouldn't dare to send a parcel with many samples to UK though.

Logistically, the judges would receive code marked samples in a single shipment and a single document with all the briefs.
    As for the participants, the deadline would have to be carved in stone. No late submissions. So we'd likely need to stretch it by an extra month or so.
    If we manage to pull it off I'll be quite impressed.

(First post changelog: fixed the example with scoring system.)

Basenotes Junkie

So I used pvc pipe to mail off 12 vials- ofcourse padded and taped- but it would take an act of aggression to crush the pipe- so even if 2 pipes- relatively easy to send secure
    So all contestants would send to one person- that perso would label with number/cipher and type up corresponding brief with cyphers- and would be coordinated across the ocean to match?
    So the brief writer doesn’t have to actually retype everything- briefs need to be sent by email/pm.

Default New Smelly Game Proposal

Sorry if this has been asked before...I’ve looked in the stickies & haven’t found anything. What are the rules/process to participate in these smelly games? I read the original post about the requirement for a brief on a place that one has visited that inspired a fragrance. Is that the only requirement? I’m thinking of participating but am unsure of all what is involved.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Alan View Post
    Sorry if this has been asked before...I’ve looked in the stickies & haven’t found anything. What are the rules/process to participate in these smelly games? I read the original post about the requirement for a brief on a place that one has visited that inspired a fragrance. Is that the only requirement? I’m thinking of participating but am unsure of all what is involved.
    The only requirement to participate is to let me/us know.
    In order to get your samples evaluated you'll need to send them before the deadline.
    If you want to communicate your intention beyond just sniffing at your perfume, you're free, in fact encouraged, to attach a document helping you come across.
    And that's it from the formal point of view.

Otherwise you're very welcome to participate!

Ah ok! Cool. Yes I’d like to participate! It sounds like fun!

Basenotes Plus

As usual, I am in. Summer perfume, here we go!

Quote Originally Posted by SubUmbra View Post
    Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife!
    It truly does >

Cheers, Happy Perfuming!
    Will

I am in as well!

Also super curious about Will’s Dune inspired scent with the movie coming out later this year!!

Dependent

My dreams of blending a Dune themed perfume were crushed by État Libre d'Orange when they issued Spice Must Flow; that was exactly the name I wanted to use; in a tongue in a cheek way.

I'm going to throw some cinnamon in my coffee today...

Dependent

And thanks for taking part! I hope it's going to be fun.

I’m positively tickled to see so many Dune fans on this niche forum

Quote Originally Posted by xii View Post
    My dreams of blending a Dune themed perfume were crushed by État Libre d'Orange when they issued Spice Must Flow; that was exactly the name I wanted to use; in a tongue in a cheek way.

I'm going to throw some cinnamon in my coffee today...
    Damn! I had no idea they made a Spice Must Flow perfume!

I’ll have my interpretation then haha. I plan to make it more about the planet than just the spice, but spice will be a large element. Specifically, bitter cinnamon and the hot, dry desert.

Cheers, Happy Perfuming!
    Will

I'm in.

I've never participated before. If I am based in the UK would it be sufficient to send samples to someone in Europe who would then distribute them? Or would I need to send them out to multiple locations?