Code of Conduct

Default Reliable Weighing Scale

Does anyone in the house have an idea of reliable brands of weighing scale and where to buy such? Kindly share to help a beginner who wants to start picking equipment and materials in bits.

Default Re: Reliable Weighing Scale

I have purchased many scales mostly Chinese ones and they failed after not so long. I then purchased a kern 0.001g scales and have had them for about a year and a half now. I've used them about every couple of days, so around 250 times with no issues. They are quite expensive though at around 300 dollars

Basenotes Plus

I purchased this unit (300g x 0.001g) recently and have been quite happy with readability and repeatability. Best of all, they don't suffer the same auto-off feature that my $15 "pocket scales" had. I saw an Australian lab supplies site selling it for 3x the eBay price - noticed the shape and specifications were the same and decided to try it out, based on the logic that if the lab supplies site sell it for that much and provide a 2 year warranty, they must be confident in the product. The same shape and specs led to my assumption (make your own assumptions if you will!) that they are probably the same thing, just rebranded.

The shipping was surprisingly fast via FedEx (even though it's listed as free standard shipping) and arrived only a few days after ordering - whereas the eBay listing said it would take weeks!

Here's the eBay item I purchased:
    Lab Analytical Balance 300 x 0.001 g Digital Scale Precision 1 mg
    Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 9.41.05 am.jpg

Here's the same unit I compared it to on Westlab:
    Westlab Analytical Balance 300g x 0.001g
    Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 9.41.19 am.jpg

https://ussolid.com/300-x-0-001g-ana...ion-scale.html

I got this for $115. Seems to be working fine. I've only had it for 2 months though.
    Currently wearing: Speick Men by Speick

In my opinion, as a beginner you'll be well served by an affordable 0.01g scale. I have been using this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07S5JS4YG every day for a year and it's done just fine.

Basenotes Plus

As a beginner myself, I contend that a balance with a higher degree of readability can allow for more accuracy in smaller trials hence saving materials and money, which gives a sense of freedom. I think accuracy is better to have regardless of skill level.

Quote Originally Posted by jameshillier View Post
    As a beginner myself, I contend that a balance with a higher degree of readability can allow for more accuracy in smaller trials hence saving materials and money, which gives a sense of freedom. I think accuracy is better to have regardless of skill level.
    Agreed wholeheartedly re: accuracy, but with the caveat that expensive doesn't always mean more accurate so long as you're willing to take the time to test. I own a few scales, one of which is very cheap—I've recommended it on Basenotes before, it's a 100g x 0.001g jewelry scale sold on Amazon—and I test it prior to each use. It's extremely accurate if given a few moments per material addition to find its final number. A good balance is definitely worth investing in, but for people just starting out, there's no reason to spend hundreds when care, time, and a few calibration weights will get the job done.

Thank you very much everyone for the very useful comments and suggestions here on this subject. It, certainly, will help a lot of beginners and even some already in the field.