Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default A blast from the past: What were the big hyped frags when you joined Basenotes?

What were the big hyped frags when you joined Basenotes? Not necessarily just on BN, but when you joined BN.

For me, back in early 2010, it was all about Terre d'Hermes, Voyage d'Heremes, Spicebomb, La Nuit de L'Homme, Burberry London, Prada Amber, Allure Homme Sport, Dior Homme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Musc Ravageur, Tom Ford Private Blends, mostly Tobacco Vanille. I'm sure a lot more I'm forgetting. I think the big ones were Pure Malt, Spicebomb, La Nuit, Allure Homme Sport, and Musc Rav.

Niche didn't start getting real big until 2011/2012 as I remember, and although Aventus came out around the time I joined, as did Bleu de Chanel, if I remember correctly, they were both pretty hated then.
    All Time Top 10: Fahrenheit, Fahrenheit Absolute, Corduroy, Seduction in Black, Itasca, Arpege pH, Burberry London, Spark Seduction, Paul Smith Man, Eau des Baux

Default Re: A blast from the past: What were the big hyped frags when you joined Basenotes?

2004:

Mugler Cologne
    Piper Nigrum
    A*Men
    Rochas Man
    Azzaro Visit
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Creed GIT and SMW
    Bulgari Black
    YSL M7
    Gucci Pour Homme (2003)
    Laguna Homme
    Eau Sauvage

And Acqua di Gio was the Sauvage of its day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's really quite pleasant, except for the smell (...)
    -"Mama", My Chemical Romance

Default Re: A blast from the past: What were the big hyped frags when you joined Basenotes?

In 2007 there was some brief buzz about Eau Sauvage Cuir Fraicheur but the one I remember more was the hype around the launch of Tom Ford for men--now sort of a so what? but at the time it was a big launch.
    Very clearly a case for corn flakes and classics

Hi all,

2003 : Back in the day when I joined BN in 2003: YSL Rive Gauche, Lorenzo Villoresi Piper Nigrum, MPG Eau des Iles, Creed Millesime Tabarome and Creed GIT.

Oooh....and of course YSL KOUROS. Oooh Baby, those were the DAZE! Be sure to check out this "Oldie but Goodie" thread from years ago, it's a real "Blast from the Past".

Ummmmm, I wonder whatever became of "Marlen" (aka Scenteur7) ? Anyone ?

https://www.basenotes.net/threads/17...ght=SixCats%21

SixCats!

Common Lackey

Midnight in Paris

Haha, hype trains!

DHI
    LIDGE
    La Nuit
    Aventus
    Pure Malt
    "I drank what?" -Socrates

2009/2010 I remember these scents were the must have for "clubbing" and got lot of chatter:

DIOR HOMME INTENSE
    MUSC RAVAGEUR
    TOBACCO VANILLE
    PURE MALT

PURE MALT may have gotten closest to AVENTUS like zeal and devotion. The fever was further fueled when PURE MALT went out of production and became unavailable for a time. I have it and it is a good scent, but the fanaticism on PURE MALT went far beyond its true worth as a frag.

Regular A*MEN got a lot of talk, but it was mixed almost evenly between guys who thought it was great and guys who thought it was too loud and vile.

The "clubber" fans were far more imaginative in their passion, descriptions and gusto for some of these scents. DIOR HOMME INTENSE guys were swivel eyed loons. MUSC RAVAGEUR fanboys would have you believe this was "sex in a bottle."

Some of the main stay "classic" scents got about the same discussion they get now. Things like GREEN IRISH TWEED, GUERLAIN VETIVER, HABIT ROUGE. I remember having to scour the city by phone to find HABIT ROUGE in a brick and mortar store. None of the usual male cologne counters had it. (It was in the female GUERLAIN section at Bloomingdales.) YSL RIVE GAUCHE POUR HOMME had a steady, consistent fan base.

KOUROS got a bit more chatter with a slight majority back then finding it gross and unwearable. The urinal puck comparisons were rampant.

I'm sure they were there, but I don't recall a lot of discussions of AMOUAGE, ROJA DOVE, XERJOFF. Some of those were maybe outside of "my reality" back then, so perhaps I just didn't notice, but I don't think they got as much traction as they do now.

I also remember lots of bitter arguments between CREED lovers and haters. Seems like a lot folk got banned from some of that battle.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    Haha, hype trains!

DHI
    LIDGE
    La Nuit
    Aventus
    Pure Malt
    Yep - these are the exact ones I remember. And a lot of talk about a few L'Artisan fragrances...
    Current Winter Favorites:

1. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    2. Brückner - Aoud 1
    3. Creed - Royal Oud
    4. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Generation Man
    5. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    6. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    7. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Mortal Skin
    8. Creed - Royal English Leather
    9. Creed - Bois du Portugal
    10. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Eau Sauvage Cuir Fraicheur
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When I joined, if you asked for a recommendation, it didn't matter what specifics you gave, you always got the same answers: DHI! 1 Million! La Nuit! LIDGE! "...for a summer wedding, outdoors?" DHI! Spray MOAR!

Oof.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Boy Chanel
    Endymion
    Royal Oud
    Rose 31
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Reflection Man
    Green Irish Tweed
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Interlude Man
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Aqua Universalis
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Pomelo Paradis
    Amouage Silver Man
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    "Live in the moment. Never count on longevity." --Yeasayer

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

Can't say I was paying attention to hype in 2012. I only signed up to browse the forum without getting hit with bot protection that thought I was one gor how often I used the directory. Took me another 5 years from there to even post in forums.
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader

Basenotes Plus

Joined BN in 2014, these were big hype - Bleu de Chanel, Pure Havane, Bvlgari Man in Black, BR 540, Aventus, TF Grey Vetiver

“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain

Back in 2011 it was Dior Homme Intense and Pure Malt
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Bois du Portugal
    Musc ravageur
    PdN New York
    Aramis Havana
    Ambre Sultan

Started posting in Jan 2013.

I think the hype was Montale on the main boards followed by great fragrances in the powerhouse group and other such vintage threads that I could find - Or Black / Knize Ten / Bel Ami / Kouris and such. Obviously, Creed being handmade from scratch always held the crown...
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Cant remember if it was when I joined, but Pure Malt had its own subforum.
    There was massive hype about Montale Black Oud.
    Constant talk about a handful of creeds with MI, GIT, and Erolfa leading the pack.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

In 2001 it was Bvlgari Blv Pour Homme and Yohji Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post

I also remember lots of bitter arguments between CREED lovers and haters. Seems like a lot folk got banned from some of that battle.
    Wasn't those the years that when all the now rare Creeds were widely discussed? There was a lot of praises for Vintage Tabarome that time I think. Then there was the Creed Group originally started by the_good_life.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Back in 2006-2007 it was all about the Mitsouko reformulation, Shalimar Eau Legere v Eau de Shalimar, and constant Lutens chatter. Stephane Humbert Lucas, Nanedebary, L’Artisan Parfumeur, Bond No. 9, and Lea Nereides were discussed a lot over in the Female Fragrance Forum. Then shortly thereafter, it was the Chanel Exclusifs. The Guerlain With Love, Love is All, and Colours of Love series were a topic. And all through this period, people were looking for the classic women’s Diors, which were pulled but not yet reformulated.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

Sillage Monster

I joined in early 2013. Back then, I recollect is was LIDG vs. LIDGE, Aventus batches, and various Slumberhouse releases.
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    I joined in early 2013. Back then, I recollect is was LIDG vs. LIDGE, Aventus batches, and various Slumberhouse releases.
    That was the year to collect the now elusive Shalimar Ode a la vanille Mexique. I think Ode a la vanille Madagascar may have been around earlier that year even though released in 2012.

Purple Label RL
    Gucci PH
    Rive Gauche PH
    Un Jardin en Méditerranée
    Visit Azzaro
    Bigarade Concentrée
    Cuiron Helmut Lang
    M7
    Polo Blue

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Wasn't those the years that when all the now rare Creeds were widely discussed? There was a lot of praises for Vintage Tabarome that time I think. Then there was the Creed Group originally started by the_good_life.
    My memories of it 2009/2010 is that were that there no vaulted CREEDS. Though some may not have been readily available (I never saw BAY RUM for example).

Yes, many were discussed and largely available. ORANGE SPICE, AMBRE CANELLE, VETIVER '48, BAIE DE GENEIVRE, ROYAL ENGLISH LEATHER, ROYAL SCOTTISH LAVENDER were all available when I started, but truth be told, most were not real popular in threads here. Most were kind of seen as "old guy" scents. I distinctly remember at Nieman Marcus LA, Vintage TABAROME and CUIR RUSSIE were only available in flacons- no bottles. At that point in my fraghead evolution, a flacon seemed insane and ridiculous. One of the SAs at Nieman mocked TABAROME as the stuff of "horse and buggy" times.

Then many started slowly and quietly disappearing to the "vault." I've got a few of these and while I think they're good scents, honestly most wouldn't sell these days. VETIVER '48 is the one I regret not hoarding or buying a flacon. I bought most of my "gray caps" before I joined Basenotes.
    Most of the deep love here for TABAROME surfaced after it was NOT available is how I remember it. It had some hardcore fans all along, but It really wasn't until I saw all the hoopla about its discontinuation here that I sought out a small supply from a forum seller. That's the most old school scent I've ever worn.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Around 2015-2016 I wasn't too aware of what was hot at the time, but I think Blea de Chanel and Dior Sauvage were he go-tos at the time. Oh yeah, I forgot Invictus and 1 Million! Those were big and I refused to jump on the candied sugar-scented band wagon. In hindsight, those are pretty interesting fragrances as a reaction to what came before. They smelled modern and new, and that often means good for a lot of us. Even smelling it on other people was kind of refreshing as opposed to the musky barbershops that I'm used to.

I'm interested in fragrances since the 90s.
    I joined Basenotes just a while ago to write in the forum and share some of my findings.

Besides that I'm guilty of having owned or do still own many of the "big hitters" of the designer fragrances, which were finally hyped up on Youtube.

Currently I've got the feeling that new popular releases don't get that much talk here on BN (eg. Code EdP, Le Male Le Parfum, Invictus Victory, YSL Y Le Parfum, Stronger with You Intensely etc. just to name a few). There are single threads yes, I've also contributed there, but it seems that there isn't overly much interest into those kind of fragrances. So BN is probably more about "classic" designers and niche?

That doesn't matter. I like what I like and I enjoy this community!

Quote Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
    Currently I've got the feeling that new popular releases don't get that much talk here on BN (eg. Code EdP, Le Male Le Parfum, Invictus Victory, YSL Y Le Parfum, Stronger with You Intensely etc. just to name a few). There are single threads yes, I've also contributed there, but it seems that there isn't overly much interest into those kind of fragrances. So BN is probably more about "classic" designers and niche?

Slightly true. I hate to feel I've stagnated, but my tastes do run towards some older stuff. Most of the current designer scents leave me cold...

But it's an interesting group nevertheless. We have a good core group of pretty intelligent reasonable people.

In both designer and niche, it can be a little while before a scent makes inroads here. But some of the big designers and prominent niche scents get sampled and pounced on right away. H24 for example made a big splash...lots of sampling. We'll see where it stands in a year.

I notice on the really high end stuff, there are usually very few reviews and scant threads (with some exceptions),

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    But some of the big designers and prominent niche scents get sampled and pounced on right away. H24 for example made a big splash...lots of sampling. We'll see where it stands in a year.
    Yes, if it's a new Hermes like H24 or Guerlain like the L'Homme Ideal Extreme, I feel it gets a special treatment here.
    I'm sure the same happens when a new Dior or Chanel is coming out.
    Of course there's nothing wrong with that as those are big traditional houses which are well respected, probably more like Paco Rabanne (nowadays) or Parfums de Marly.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

circa early/mid 2012

Aventus
    Dior Homme Intense
    LIDGE
    Pure Malt
    Tobacco Vanille
    Noir de Noir
    Tuscan Leather
    Bleu de Chanel
    Black Afgano
    Chergui
    Musc Ravageur
    Black Aoud
    Encre Noire
    Millesime Imperial
    Green Irish Tweed
    M7
    New Haarlem
    Straight to Heaven
    Back to Black
    Midnight in Paris
    Rose 31

Sure I'm missing a few.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    When I joined, if you asked for a recommendation, it didn't matter what specifics you gave, you always got the same answers: DHI! 1 Million! La Nuit! LIDGE! "...for a summer wedding, outdoors?" DHI! Spray MOAR!

Oof.
    Oh ya, I forgot to add LIDGE, that might be the most hyped frag of 2010 actually.
    All Time Top 10: Fahrenheit, Fahrenheit Absolute, Corduroy, Seduction in Black, Itasca, Arpege pH, Burberry London, Spark Seduction, Paul Smith Man, Eau des Baux

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
    I'm interested in fragrances since the 90s.
    I joined Basenotes just a while ago to write in the forum and share some of my findings.

Besides that I'm guilty of having owned or do still own many of the "big hitters" of the designer fragrances, which were finally hyped up on Youtube.

Sure, but I don't mean discussion, I mean hype. Like the guy who came on here in 2014 or so and said CH for Men is the best thing since sliced bread, and that topic turned into being like 16 pages long. I've never seen that on a topic about a classic, maybe besides Polo and GIT, and even these aren't hype, just general discussion.