Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Junkie

Default Smooth Vanilla-centric Fragrances?

I've been trying to pinpoint what I like from certain scents and kinda feeling like I understand more now

Basically looking for something:
    Vanilla-centric
    Smooth with little to no bite from Citrus, Spices, etc.
    Maybe lightly featuring Sandalwood, or other smooth notes

So far along these lines I've been enjoying:
    Solinotes Vanille
    Indult Tihota

Have my eyes on:
    Celine Black Tie
    Van Cleef & Arpels Bois d'Amande

Appreciate any Recommendations!

All Is Beautiful

Default Re: Smooth Vanilla-centric Fragrances?

Mona di Orio Vanille seems to fit. There is a little orange note but it is not detectable. An exceptional vanilla.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Absolu De Vanille
    Vanille Extreme
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Elizabeth & James Nirvana Black
    Derek Lam 10 Crosby Something Wild
    Axe Signature Oud Wood & Dark Vanilla (pump spray, not the deodorant, though deodorant is nice too)

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Nicolaï Vanille Tonka

Have you sampled anything from Guerlain?

Also, how do you feel about lavender?

Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT,EDP
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by NettyYeti View Post
    Have you sampled anything from Guerlain?

Also, how do you feel about lavender?
    I've only tried Ideal EdP, which I thought was pretty nice. Already have a sample of Cuir Beluga in my cart.. I've heard that the vintage Double Vanille is great but newer versions not so much

Lavender is ok but not what I'm looking for.. just want a Vanilla second skin type of scent, so I feel like Lavender may be sort of off topic in that sense, unless it's well blended in the background or something. But if theres some really nice Vanilla scent with Lavender, I'll still give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by d r e View Post
    Basically looking for something:
    Vanilla-centric
    Smooth with little to no bite from Citrus, Spices, etc.
    Maybe lightly featuring Sandalwood, or other smooth notes

. just want a Vanilla second skin type of scent,

My favorites would be Eau Duelle or Mandorlo di Sicilia, but neither one is really vanilla-centric.

One that might be a fit that is heavy vanilla-centered is the new Acqua di Parma Colonia Vaniglia. It doesn't have the citrus you don't want, not having the trademark ADP citrus opening. It lists musk but that is well in the background, coming across more as light woods. I find it a fairly pure, meaning almost a little dark as opposed to overly sweet, vanilla note. And it's not too far from a one-note party, everything else is in the background. One surprise, it has incredible longevity, which you don't expect with this type of scent. That is something that several others have reported too. If you want vanilla second-skin it's definitely worth a sample.

Fahrenheit 32

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by woodnotes55 View Post
    My favorites would be Eau Duelle or Mandorlo di Sicilia, but neither one is really vanilla-centric.

One that might be a fit that is heavy vanilla-centered is the new Acqua di Parma Colonia Vaniglia. It doesn't have the citrus you don't want, not having the trademark ADP citrus opening. It lists musk but that is well in the background, coming across more as light woods. I find it a fairly pure, meaning almost a little dark as opposed to overly sweet, vanilla note. And it's not too far from a one-note party, everything else is in the background. One surprise, it has incredible longevity, which you don't expect with this type of scent. That is something that several others have reported too. If you want vanilla second-skin it's definitely worth a sample.
    Eau Duelle EdT & MdS were both nice but yeah not enough Vanilla for what I'm after

AdP Vaniglia seems promising, did you notice much difference between the Colonia & EdP?

Guerlain Spirtitueuse Double Vanille is a must have, especially the 2007 formulation.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Architects club by Arquiste
    Selling decants in US, Tom Ford, Creed, Bortnikoff, MFK, and more!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/478...-Lush-and-more

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Guerlain Spirtitueuse Double Vanille is a must have, especially the 2007 formulation.
    Is there anything you've found that's similar to the 2007 formulation specifically? Someone I trust says the earlier batches are great and worth seeking out, but I don't see any eBay listings for the Vintage or anything

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    This. SDV is the best vanilla fragrance ever created.

Agonist Arctic Jade is a good one.
    Currently wearing: Lui by Mazzolari

Wihtout (or little) spices, I love

E. Zegna - Passion
    T. Terenzi - Dionisio
    Eight&Bob - original

Yesterday, I tried Pavillon Rouge by Jovoy, and Broken Therories by Kerosene. Both beautiful. My Preference goes to the latter, but wouldn't tick your box, since it has a healthy dose of spice, and some orange-y undertones.

For a beautiful creamy sandalwood with vanillic undertones, I'd suggest Luce by Meo Fusciuni, even if it has some performance issues.

Double post, deleted.
    Last edited by Andy the frenchy; 2nd April 2021 at 02:56 PM.

Blog Entries

Vanille by Molinard, $40, great performance, and as vanilla as vanilla can get. Vanille Patchouli from Molinard if you want something extra.
    All Time Top 10: Fahrenheit, Fahrenheit Absolute, Corduroy, Seduction in Black, Itasca, Arpege pH, Burberry London, Spark Seduction, Paul Smith Man, Eau des Baux

Is there anything you've found that's similar to the 2007 formulation specifically? Someone I trust says the earlier batches are great and worth seeking out, but I don't see any eBay listings for the Vintage or anything
    Just go try the current batch on your skin and decide for yourself. I own multiple bottles of the recent batches and they do not disappoint.
    Olfactory perception is the only sensory faculty that can be completely penetrated by cognition.

To my nose maybe Xerjoff Ivory Route but there still fairly different. The 2007 formulation bottles are hard to find on ebay. If they do show up it would go for a high premium or wind up in a bidding war if auctioned.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Eau Duelle EdT & MdS were both nice but yeah not enough Vanilla for what I'm after

AdP Vaniglia seems promising, did you notice much difference between the Colonia & EdP?

Not sure I'm following your question here.... The Colonia Vaniglia is in the new black line and as far as I know it only comes in EDP. Whatever it is, I doubt anyone would want it to be much stronger as far as longevity. If you mean classic Colonia versus Vaniglia there is almost nothing in common. I don't get any of the citrus house notes in the Vaniglia. If I didn't answer your question give a reply....

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by woodnotes55 View Post
    Not sure I'm following your question here.... The Colonia Vaniglia is in the new black line and as far as I know it only comes in EDP. Whatever it is, I doubt anyone would want it to be much stronger as far as longevity. If you mean classic Colonia versus Vaniglia there is almost nothing in common. I don't get any of the citrus house notes in the Vaniglia. If I didn't answer your question give a reply....
    I've seen both Colonia Vaniglia & Vaniglia EdP options available:
    https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/...lia-50214.html
    https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/...fum-56003.html
    So I didnt know if those were the same or whatever, most reviews didnt go into much about that. I'm prolly just gonna get the EdP version anyways, I appreciate your thorough review above

A relatively new offering from Casamorati: Italica. I myself haven't tried it yet, but according to the description it might fit the bill.

http://www.neroli.hu/parfum/introduc..._1888/italica/

Also adding Eau des Baux

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    Mona di Orio Vanille seems to fit. There is a little orange note but it is not detectable. An exceptional vanilla.
    I agree

SDV and Vanille Galante scratch my vanilla itch.

I've seen both Colonia Vaniglia & Vaniglia EdP options available:
    https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/...lia-50214.html
    https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/...fum-56003.html
    So I didnt know if those were the same or whatever, most reviews didnt go into much about that. I'm prolly just gonna get the EdP version anyways, I appreciate your thorough review above

Ok, I get it now!!! The first one listed is the "brown bottle" version and the second the "black bottle". ADP phased out the brown and transitioned to black. It was my understanding that all the existing scents when they changed to black bottle they were changed to EDP. I have not heard a single person say they smell different, so maybe that is not accurate, or maybe it is the same just stronger. In any case, until now I had never seen Vaniglia in the brown bottle, I thought it was one of the new ones that only came out after the switch to black. (They added maybe 5 or 6 new scents then....)

The one I have looks like the second, black bottle, but does not say EDP anywhere. All my comments apply to that version.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    Yep.

Diptyque Eau Duelle uses Frankincense as Spiky Counter, however dries down to a smooth mildly presented Vanilla Absolute, more Vegetal than Vanillin.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami by Hermès

Eau Duelle is good, it has a more earthy approach but a good vanilla nonetheless.