Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Geeezeeee! It only took me OVER two Decades to discover/try...

OMG! How is it possible that I have not heard/known about this AWESOME older Fragrance from years ago ? Only recently have I even heard of "Vermeil" and when I have heard mention of "Vermeil', it's usually in the context of "Vermeil" being a "good Budget" purchase. Budget priced ? Yes. Cheap smelling ? NOT a chance!

Upon my first sniff/wearing of "Vermeil", I was immediately BLOWN AWAY (Wow'ed) by the aroma and quality of this "Old School" Fragrance. In my opinion, I dear say "Vermeil" is perhaps one of THE best examples of a Cologne that can purchase priced UNDER twenty dollars that easily, easily competes with ANY of my (so called) "Niche" (read expensive) Fragrances.

I have to ask myself (self) "how is it possible that all my years having been a Basenotes member (since 2003) that I was totally unaware about "Vermeil" ? Perhaps I somehow simply missed out seeing threads/posts on "Vermeil" all these past years (but I doubt it). I think having now discovered "Vermeil" is equivalent to one only now discovering (original/vintage) Kouros for the first time. "Vermeil" was released in 1997 (which is six years before I joined Basenotes). Perhaps all the "Vermeil" Threads had already run it's course here on Basenotes ? At any rate, I dear say, "Vermeil" could now (at least for yours truly) become a "Signature" Fragrance. LOVE it!

SixCats!

Default Re: Geeezeeee! It only took me OVER two Decades to discover/try...

Ooh, btw, I ordered TWO 3.4oz. Bottles of "Vermeil" on sale! I'm getting while the getting is good!

SixCats!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Smart decision!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Smart decision!
    Thanks hednic. There was NO "Foot dragging" for me on this purchase! I realize "Vermeil" is NOT a Fragrance for everyone being STRONG/Old School. However, if one happens to enjoy this "type" of Fragrance.......

https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/...mme-24309.html PRO's and CON's of what others had to say about "Vermeil".

SixCats!

Already considering this as well as its White flanker even blind-given the low risks due to inexpensive pricing

Definitely a solid fragrance and one of the few that reformulation didn’t destroy. I’ve owned both and the newer juice is actually a pinch more “wearable” because it isn’t as bracing.

Good stuff,enjoy!
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa
    Currently wearing: Black to Black by Mancera

I’m not old, I’m vintage.

Vermeil's a good'un, and it hasn't gone "full unicorn" yet. Don't know about the flankers. Some people find the giant Zippo-inspired bottle cheesy, but I kinda like the way the retro-'60s whimsy deflates some of the retro-'80s machismo seriousness. Plus, it makes it easy to find in the cabinet.

Hi Guys,

Ummmm, I wonder if the "Flankers" are any good ?

SixCats!

Basenotes Institution

Congrats

Hadn’t heard of it prior to this thread. Enthusiastic reviews, cool retro style, $15 for a new 3.4 oz bottle. Instant blind buy. Can’t wait to try it. Thank you, Basenoters!

I am almost persuaded....
    Currently wearing: Himalaya by Creed

Personally not a fan of that one. A bit too sharp and really old style to my nose. But very glad for you that you enjoy it, SixCats!

Oh, what the heck...I'll give it a whirl.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SixCats View Post
    OMG! How is it possible that I have not heard/known about this AWESOME older Fragrance from years ago ? Only recently have I even heard of "Vermeil" and when I have heard mention of "Vermeil', it's usually in the context of "Vermeil" being a "good Budget" purchase. Budget priced ? Yes. Cheap smelling ? NOT a chance!

I have to ask myself (self) "how is it possible that all my years having been a Basenotes member (since 2003) that I was totally unaware about "Vermeil" ? Perhaps I somehow simply missed out seeing threads/posts on "Vermeil" all these past years (but I doubt it). I think having now discovered "Vermeil" is equivalent to one only now discovering (original/vintage) Kouros for the first time.
    SixCats!
    I remember eyeballing this fragrance when I first joined. A lot of people praised it as being an old school scent but I never pulled the trigger. When I went back to look for it it was discontinued and going for steep prices on ebay.

Based on your opinions of Dark Rebel it sounds like Vermeil is a fragrance I would like.

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Vermeil's a good'un, and it hasn't gone "full unicorn" yet. Don't know about the flankers. Some people find the giant Zippo-inspired bottle cheesy, but I kinda like the way the retro-'60s whimsy deflates some of the retro-'80s machismo seriousness. Plus, it makes it easy to find in the cabinet.
    Yeah, I get a 60s/early 70s vibe faux-luxury vibe from it. I like it. It doesn't look whimsical to me though. It looks like 60s70s machismo, something Ron Burgundy or Burt Reynolds would have on their shelf.

Basenotes Plus

I really wanted to love it, but it ultimately didn’t work for me as I would reach for Roger & Gallet Open more often. Glad you are digging it!

“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain
    Currently wearing: Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

I’m not old, I’m vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cologne Cabinet View Post
    I really wanted to love it, but it ultimately didn’t work for me as I would reach for Roger & Gallet Open more often. Glad you are digging it!
    Yeah, I caught your review, which is fair. I haven’t started seriously winnowing categorically comparable frags—a task I may never complete—but if I put those head to head, I might reach the same conclusion. At this stage, I don’t need to decide.

Hi all,

Please keep in mind that my taste in Fragrances runs on the STRONG/unique/unusual/weird/Animalic/odd/stinky/off beat etc. side of the Fragrance spectrum. This is NOT a Fragrance for everybody (of course, nothing is really). That being said, if one tends to enjoy the "Old School" type POWER HOUSE Fragrances, I would then say this is a MUST purchase (especially) at the bargain price "Vermeil" is being offered ON SALE as of early April. I have little doubt this Fragrance will suddenly either will SKY ROCKET in price (as seems to always be the case) and/or become UNavailable, which often happens when I post a Thread such as this one. HOWEVER, this time, I thought ahead and I purchased TWO bottles of "Vermeil" BEFORE I commented on this Fragrance. I've learned my lesson (in the past) the hard way. Nope, not this time!

SixCats!

Great description. I've never tried Vermeil before.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Dependent
    Blog Entries

I had a chance to give this a full wear.

This smells exactly like the tobacco you'd used to hand roll your own cigarettes. This is straight up dry, cigarette tobacco. There's the smell of a flowers some where in there, but very minimal. This is supposed to be an older-styled scent but it doesn't trigger any nostalgia for me, as I've never smelled anything like it before. This is what Davidoff for Men is like?

I'd say this is the "toughest" fragrance I've owned. At least compared to Aramis, Polo, Quorum and One Man Show. I don't mind a tobacco note here and there, but outright tobacco is just not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post
    I had a chance to give this a full wear.

This smells exactly like the tobacco you'd used to hand roll your own cigarettes. This is straight up dry, cigarette tobacco. There's the smell of a flowers some where in there, but very minimal. This is supposed to be an older-styled scent but it doesn't trigger any nostalgia for me, as I've never smelled anything like it before. This is what Davidoff for Men is like?

I'd say this is the "toughest" fragrance I've owned. At least compared to Aramis, Polo, Quorum and One Man Show. I don't mind a tobacco note here and there, but outright tobacco is just not for me.
    Hi Hugh,

Sorry this one didn't work out for you. Tobacco is my FAVORITE Note which is the reason why I went "Head over Heels" for Vermeil. Yes indeed, Vermeil is SUPER strong especially at the opening. I admit Vermeil is not the most "complex" Fragrance being somewhat linear as compared to my favorite Tobacco Fragrance SMN "Acqua di Cuba". That being said, dear God, how I LOVE the smell of this Fragrance! I'm now tempted to try Zino and OMS Gold.

SixCats!

Hi Hugh,

Sorry this one didn't work out for you. Tobacco is my FAVORITE Note which is the reason why I went "Head over Heels" for Vermeil. Yes indeed, Vermeil is SUPER strong especially at the opening. I admit Vermeil is not the most "complex" Fragrance being somewhat linear as compared to my favorite Tobacco Fragrance SMN "Acqua di Cuba". That being said, dear God, how I LOVE the smell of this Fragrance! I'm now tempted to try Zino and OMS Gold.

SixCats!

Owning and loving both Zino and OMS Gold can easily ascertain and thus glad to recommend/confirm that both provide, along with great performance for little money, also the almost perfect note profile for you-the one you so amply and fascinatingly describe within multiple posts and threads

Arrived via mail, wore it, loved it! It does remind me of the scent of a freshly opened package of cigarettes. Fresh, floral tobacco. Really love the retro-cool packaging. All for less than $20. A great addition to any men’s fragrance collection. Thanks for the recommendation, Mr. SixCats! Never would have found this hidden gem on my own.

Hi SixCats! Glad you find it to your liking. I love it too - wonderful stuff. The fragrance I find it closest to is the original 1984 Davidoff. Have you ever tried this? It tends to sell for crazy money these days but I'd bet you'd love it if the Vermeil is your type of thing. The Davidoff is much stronger in both sillage and longevity and has a brutality missing in the softer and more floral Vermeil. I'd love to hear your thoughts if you've ever tried it or if you try it sometime soon. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post
    Hi SixCats! Glad you find it to your liking. I love it too - wonderful stuff. The fragrance I find it closest to is the original 1984 Davidoff. Have you ever tried this? It tends to sell for crazy money these days but I'd bet you'd love it if the Vermeil is your type of thing. The Davidoff is much stronger in both sillage and longevity and has a brutality missing in the softer and more floral Vermeil. I'd love to hear your thoughts if you've ever tried it or if you try it sometime soon. Cheers!
    Hi all,

N.CAL, thank you Sir. I hope you have a chance to try "Vermeil" soon.

Ken, thanks for the recommendation on ZINO and OMS-G. I will for sure place these two Fragrances on my "to buy" list as I do indeed love these type of POWERHOUSE Fragrances. Ken, I hope I'm not making a fool of myself with all my (perhaps overly) "enthusiastic" posts lol.

mrcologne, Ah! I am so happy that you too are now enjoying the glory of "Vermeil" as much as I do! I still can't believe I somehow missed (not even aware) of "Vermeil" all these years.

Hi Derbyman, I must confess, I have NEVER tried 1984 Davidoff. Man, I can't believe it would be STRONGER than "Vermeil", WOW! Hopefully one day, I'll get my Nose onto this Davidoff. Thanks for the recommendation.

SixCats!

It's never to be too late to the party SixCats!

I just (5-6 weeks ago) bought my 4th Vermeil pour homme 100ml as I love it to bits (in my 'Top 12', see signature) as here it is pretty hard to get and for €23 I could not let it go.
    Got my first bottle in 2010, bought blind, and loved it ever since! That bottle is almost empty, so 3 more to go.
    If you love this, then get at least a 7ml mini of the original Davidoff by Davidoff (1984) for olfactory purposes! In a way Vermeil is like a modernized version of it but without the castoreum-caraway combo, less flowery/green and less mossy. I love Derby using the word 'brutality' in describing the difference as he is correct. I own 2 different versions of Davidoff (France and Spain) and one (Spain) is indeed extremely loud and long lasting, while the other (France) is more smooth and less in projection but still lasting 24 hrs. All my Vermeil smell/perform the same meaning a loud opening and little above average for hrs after (10hrs).
    Mind that there is most likely no tobacco in either Davidoff/Vermeil; there have been discussions about this years ago on basenotes and the conclusion was that there are accords which let you think about a tobacco smell. Also pyramids do not show tobacco (e.g. Fragrantica/Parfumo/Basenotes) on either of those.
    Comparing the Davidoff and Vermeil is to me a bit like the original (1981-1986) Kouros comparing to the Gucci Era bottles (1999-2011): both are extremely good and the original the best but (imo) the Gucci version way more wearable and versatile.
    Congratz again on, imo, the best fragrance out there under €25!
    My Top '12':

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco/Aoud Vanille
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - Initio: Side Effect
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - Vermeil: Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post

I just (5-6 weeks ago) bought my 4th Vermeil pour homme 100ml as I love it to bits (in my 'Top 12', see signature) as here it is pretty hard to get and for €23 I could not let it go.
    Got my first bottle in 2010, bought blind, and loved it ever since! That bottle is almost empty, so 3 more to go.
    If you love this, then get at least a 7ml mini of the original Davidoff by Davidoff (1984) for olfactory purposes! In a way Vermeil is like a modernized version of it but without the castoreum-caraway combo, less flowery/green and less mossy. I love Derby using the word 'brutality' in describing the difference as he is correct. I own 2 different versions of Davidoff (France and Spain) and one (Spain) is indeed extremely loud and long lasting, while the other (France) is more smooth and less in projection but still lasting 24 hrs. All my Vermeil smell/perform the same meaning a loud opening and little above average for hrs after (10hrs).
    Mind that there is most likely no tobacco in either Davidoff/Vermeil; there have been discussions about this years ago on basenotes and the conclusion was that there are accords which let you think about a tobacco smell. Also pyramids do not show tobacco (e.g. Fragrantica/Parfumo/Basenotes) on either of those.
    Comparing the Davidoff and Vermeil is to me a bit like the original (1981-1986) Kouros comparing to the Gucci Era bottles (1999-2011): both are extremely good and the original the best but (imo) the Gucci version way more wearable and versatile.
    Hello Slayer,

Ooh, thank you Sir for commenting on your experiences regarding "Vermeil" and "Davidoff". I will now for sure keep an Eye open for "Davidoff". Interesting that there is no Tobacco in "Vermeil" as it sure fooled me. I wonder what might be the strong/dark (Tobacco like) note(s) ? Smart of you Slayer having thought ahead putting back several bottles of "Vermeil" while the getting was good. I have done the same with a few Fragrances of late. I recently purchased a bottle of Guerlain "Vetiver" and once tired, I loved it. The following week, I went back to the Store and purchased a second for "back up". The price of the "Vetiver" was too good to be true! I am also lucky (VERY) lucky to have thought ahead (a few years ago) having purchased two bottles of (now discontinued) L'Artisan Dzing! (Circus Girl riding Tiger label). I have also purchased back up's of Marlou, Boucheron, Mitsouko and a few others Fragrances as well. I HAD to do it! Enjoy that "Vermeil" Slayer!

SixCats!

Hello Slayer,

Ooh, thank you Sir for commenting on your experiences regarding "Vermeil" and "Davidoff". I will now for sure keep an Eye open for "Davidoff". Interesting that there is no Tobacco in "Vermeil" as it sure fooled me. I wonder what might be the strong/dark (Tobacco like) note(s) ? Smart of you Slayer having thought ahead putting back several bottles of "Vermeil" while the getting was good. I have done the same with a few Fragrances of late. I recently purchased a bottle of Guerlain "Vetiver" and once tired, I loved it. The following week, I went back to the Store and purchased a second for "back up". The price of the "Vetiver" was too good to be true! I am also lucky (VERY) lucky to have thought ahead (a few years ago) having purchased two bottles of (now discontinued) L'Artisan Dzing! (Circus Girl riding Tiger label). I have also purchased back up's of Marlou, Boucheron, Mitsouko and a few others Fragrances as well. I HAD to do it! Enjoy that "Vermeil" Slayer!

SixCats!
    You are welcome!
    Off topic: try to get some of the frosted ribbed bottles of Guerlain Vetiver (the 2000-2010 period) as they are still pretty cheap to get and they are (imo) way better than the ones after 2010!
    My Top '12':

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco/Aoud Vanille
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - Initio: Side Effect
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - Vermeil: Pour Homme

Dependent

I've never tried it but now I'm interested.

i have many of the vermeil brand and find most of them to be very nice compared to the prices.
    Currently wearing: Good Life by Davidoff

Hi Derbyman, I must confess, I have NEVER tried 1984 Davidoff. Man, I can't believe it would be STRONGER than "Vermeil", WOW! Hopefully one day, I'll get my Nose onto this Davidoff. Thanks for the recommendation. SixCats!
    Haha! I know! The Vermeil is hardly a 'shy' fragrance but the Davidoff is like a stripped down, harder hitting version. I hope you can get your hands on some to sample.

Hey Slayer! I'm glad you jumped on this thread as I know you're a big fan of the Vermeil and was hoping you'd add your thoughts on this for SixCats. The 'tobacco illusion' aspect of both the Vermeil & Davidoff is certainly interesting and it is certainly effective. I remember Shamu talking about the Davidoff 1984 on the Powerhouse Forum - I think he'd smelt it in some kind of Gentleman's Club where they were all smoking cigars and it struck him that it blended in very well with the smell of the smoke. I once wore it in similar circumstances (although I wasn't smoking myself) and completely get where he was coming from.

You are welcome!
    Off topic: try to get some of the frosted ribbed bottles of Guerlain Vetiver (the 2000-2010 period) as they are still pretty cheap to get and they are (imo) way better than the ones after 2010!
    Very true! The frosted ribbed bottle was my first experience of Guerlain Vetiver and after smelling it I quickly bought a bottle. I still have about 2ml in the bottom of my bottle which I can't bear to part with!! It's definitely my favourite version of this fragrance. It has an unmistakeable fresh, 'wet' quality which isn't present in any of the earlier or later versions. I must try to get another bottle of this before it disappears altogether...!