Code of Conduct

Default Versatile Men's Summer Signature Fragrance?

Hello,

30M on the quest for a signature summer scent, and am looking for recommendations. Originally, I was looking for an all season fragrance, but have now pivoted to the search for a versatile men’s summer fragrance (as I plan to go with YSL Tuxedo, PDM Layton, or Kajal Homme for winter). I have tested and ranked a large number of niche and designer fragrances (40+), but I have not found the ‘right’ one. So I turn to you, the experts….

Essentially, what I am looking for is if Bleu de Chanel EDP, Terre d’Hermes Pure Parfume, Roja Elysium Parfum Cologne, and Creed Himalaya had a baby that had fantastic longevity and projection.

My requirements:
    • Notes: Citrus, fresh, clean; some level of aromatic and spicy
    • Strength: Great longevity, projection, and sillage
    • Vibe: Gentlemanly, Clean Cut, Business Casual, Confident, Classy, Success, Sexy, Masculine
    • Occasion: Versatile for a hot climate (Southwest US) in the summer, both day and night; E.g., In the office, outdoor patio business lunch, dinner date
    • Not ‘ocean’ or ‘beach’ vibe
    • I do not like too strong incense (don’t mind a little)

Nice to haves but not required:
    • Niche or less common fragrance
    • Also wearable or versatile for fall, spring, and winter
    • Crowd pleaser
    • More masculine than unisex
    • An almost unnoticeable drop of vanilla

Closest fragrances but something missing:
    1. Roja Elysium Parfum Cologne: One of my favorite, but doesn’t perform or project well on me
    2. Terre d’Hermes Pure Parfume: Really really like, smells classy and almost perfect to my nose, but something missing… maybe too formal, or not enough citrus?
    3. Chanel Bleu de Chanel EDP: Really really like, but find TdH ‘smoother’
    4. Creed Himalaya: Nice but the notes don’t have ‘sharpness’ or boldness to them

Fragrances that are commonly recommended but that I’ve disqualified for a key reason:
    • Creed Silver Mountain Water and Tom Ford Neroli Portofino Forte: Love both of these, but not as ‘versatile’ (e.g., night time, office) as I am looking for
    • Creed Aventus / B9 Scent of Peace / Nishane Hacivat: Like but not looking for that much pineapple
    • PDM Percival: Like the performance/strength, but this smells too much like an Axe overspray
    • Creed Green Irish Tweed: Don’t want ‘grassy’
    • ADG Profumo (and Profondo): I for some reason get a very strong “wet dog” odor
    • Prada Luna Rossa Carbon EDT: I like this but I can barely smell it
    • Tom Ford Neroli Portofino: Too salty (although I actually really like NP Forte)
    • Creed Virgin Island Water: Smells like Pina Colada (not looking for too casual or coconut)
    • Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme: Extremely strong (which I want), but smells almost synthetic; reminds me of a Febreze clothing spray; I actually hate this (i don't know why, because everyone else seems to love this)
    • MFK Amyris Homme: I really like this, but slightly too ‘powdery’

Let me know your recommendations on any other fragrances I should test out.
    Thanks.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Versatile Men's Summer Signature Fragrance?

Perhaps Monsieur Balmain
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Institution

Nio by Xerjoff

Have you tried Scandal Parfum Cologne? Performs a bit better on me and has a bit more solidity in the drydown than Elysium. Have both, love both, but Scandal is more versatile IMO. And it's my actual favorite use of vanilla to boot.

Also maybe take a look at Beach Hut Man by Amouage. A different, more mature approach to a summer fragrance.

One more: B683. The most warm-weather appropriate leather I've ever encountered. Classy as anything I own.

Quote Originally Posted by Balcones View Post
    Hello,

30M on the quest for a signature summer scent, and am looking for recommendations. Originally, I was looking for an all season fragrance, but have now pivoted to the search for a versatile men’s summer fragrance (as I plan to go with YSL Tuxedo, PDM Layton, or Kajal Homme for winter). I have tested and ranked a large number of niche and designer fragrances (40+), but I have not found the ‘right’ one. So I turn to you, the experts….

Essentially, what I am looking for is if Bleu de Chanel EDP, Terre d’Hermes Pure Parfume, Roja Elysium Parfum Cologne, and Creed Himalaya had a baby that had fantastic longevity and projection.

My requirements:
    • Notes: Citrus, fresh, clean; some level of aromatic and spicy
    • Strength: Great longevity, projection, and sillage
    • Vibe: Gentlemanly, Clean Cut, Business Casual, Confident, Classy, Success, Sexy, Masculine
    • Occasion: Versatile for a hot climate (Southwest US) in the summer, both day and night; E.g., In the office, outdoor patio business lunch, dinner date
    • Not ‘ocean’ or ‘beach’ vibe
    • I do not like too strong incense (don’t mind a little)

Nice to haves but not required:
    • Niche or less common fragrance
    • Also wearable or versatile for fall, spring, and winter
    • Crowd pleaser
    • More masculine than unisex
    • An almost unnoticeable drop of vanilla

Closest fragrances but something missing:
    1. Roja Elysium Parfum Cologne: One of my favorite, but doesn’t perform or project well on me
    2. Terre d’Hermes Pure Parfume: Really really like, smells classy and almost perfect to my nose, but something missing… maybe too formal, or not enough citrus?
    3. Chanel Bleu de Chanel EDP: Really really like, but find TdH ‘smoother’
    4. Creed Himalaya: Nice but the notes don’t have ‘sharpness’ or boldness to them

Fragrances that are commonly recommended but that I’ve disqualified for a key reason:
    • Creed Silver Mountain Water and Tom Ford Neroli Portofino Forte: Love both of these, but not as ‘versatile’ (e.g., night time, office) as I am looking for
    • Creed Aventus / B9 Scent of Peace / Nishane Hacivat: Like but not looking for that much pineapple
    • PDM Percival: Like the performance/strength, but this smells too much like an Axe overspray
    • Creed Green Irish Tweed: Don’t want ‘grassy’
    • ADG Profumo (and Profondo): I for some reason get a very strong “wet dog” odor
    • Prada Luna Rossa Carbon EDT: I like this but I can barely smell it
    • Tom Ford Neroli Portofino: Too salty (although I actually really like NP Forte)
    • Creed Virgin Island Water: Smells like Pina Colada (not looking for too casual or coconut)
    • Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme: Extremely strong (which I want), but smells almost synthetic; reminds me of a Febreze clothing spray; I actually hate this (i don't know why, because everyone else seems to love this)
    • MFK Amyris Homme: I really like this, but slightly too ‘powdery’

Let me know your recommendations on any other fragrances I should test out.
    Thanks.
    Honestly - Dior Homme Sport.

It's not extremely masculine, so that's where I'm running a blank. But to me it has a slight vegetal quality in common with Terre d'Hermes, but is more full and "complete" of a scent. There's citrus, it's fresh but complex. The sandalwood in the base is creamy enough to give a bit of a vanilla vibe if you squint. Perfectly wearable for any season, formal or casual, never met anyone who hates it, it's not oceanic or aquatic.
    Currently wearing: Himalaya by Creed

Also adding Lalique White and Azzaro PH l'Eau among designers, Best of Chevignon among budget, Hugh Parsons Blue, Creed OV and/or various fragrances in the ADP Blu Mediterraneo range among niche ones
    Currently wearing: Romeo Gigli by Romeo Gigli

Worth considering:

Chanel Platinum Egoiste, but perhaps not enough citrus?
    Montale Red Vetyver, which shares some character with TdH Parfum but for me projects better
    Rochas L'Homme

Personal Top 10:
    Guerlain Vetiver, Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum, Cartier Declaration Essence, YSL Live Jazz, Terre d'Hermes EDT, Richard James, Azzaro Pour Homme, Monsieur de Givenchy, Eau de Rochas Homme

Perhaps Creed Original Vetiver
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Verveine Narcisse by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Nio by Xerjoff
    This is the perfect one judging from your requirements
    Olfactory perception is the only sensory faculty that can be completely penetrated by cognition.

All Is Beautiful

Oud Orange Flower by Eric Buterbaugh Florals fits the requirements. Very under the radar. Still available.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Clive Christian XXI Art Deco Cypress. I think the best scent of this genre I've come across.

Chanel Allure Homme Sport is an easy choice.

I think Carven L'eau Intense would tick most of the boxes you're looking for. I recommend it a lot as it's long-lasting, fairly unique, suits multiple occasions/uses and works in Spring/Summer/early Fall. One of the few fragrances I've finished a 100ml bottle of since I started this hobby.

I find the parfum Bleu de Chanel to be *smoother* than TDH. Have you tried that?

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Nio by Xerjoff
    This was my first thought as well as I was reading through the dossier of requirements.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Zadig & Voltaire This is Him!
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa
    Currently wearing: Hindu Kush by Mancera

I feel like this baby is yet to be born.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

Endymion by Penhaligon’s

Masculin Pluriel by MFK

Amouage Día

Velvet Vetiver by Dolce & Gabbana

Lemon Line by Mancera

Etro Vetiver

+1 for Monsieur Balmain and Xerfjoff Nio
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa

+1 for Azzaro Pour Homme l'Eau -- just what you are looking for.
    Very clearly a case for corn flakes and classics

Have you sampled Mont Blanc’s Explorer? I don’t particularly care for Aventus, but really dig Explorer. It’s the first thing that came to mind when you mentioned a combination of BdC, TdH, etc.

It’s versatile, classy, masculine, fairly clean-cut, etc. I’d say it’s a crowd pleaser, but that also makes it not particularly uncommon. (Though to be honest, in my circles I rarely encounter anyone wearing a fragrance; why worry about whether something is common if you enjoy it?).
    Currently wearing: Ombre Noir by Lalique

'Closest fragrances but something missing:

Roja Elysium Parfum Cologne: One of my favorite, but doesn’t perform or project well on me'

Elysium Parfum, fixed it for you.
    Currently wearing: Acqua Wood by Collistar