Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Ever bought a 'compliment monster' that failed to roar?

Haha, I honestly wish we had more of that here! American's are so shameless, I can't imagine what kind of ego it takes to play your music without headphones on public transit as many people do here. What if the rest of it don't want to hear it!?

Maybe it's my Scandinavian heritage that makes me so concerned about imposing on the comfort of those around me. haha

The reason I wonder if it is partly cultural, is that the stereotype is that American's just want to smell fresh and clean. We don't really have a history of fragrance culture so I think many Americans are conscious about being perfumed. I always wonder if in Europe, especially France, if people are more confident in being perfumed and being noticed by others for their scent. I still feel like it's a taboo here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzle77 View Post
    That sounds much more like a British thing, from the same gene pool as apologising (twice at least) for leaving a mark on a car after the driver has just run you over in it!

Aventus, without a doubt...

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Definitely cultural in the places I’ve been living.
    My wife rarely compliments my scents but I haven’t included her. The scents she does compliment have definite style: L’Eau d’Issey PH, Mugler Cologne, Cedrat Enivrant. All light, clean, fresh citrus.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Homme by Prada

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

No compliments from me at work because I wear a badge. Outside work, all the most unlikely things get compliments, like old 60's musks and women's perfume worn on me (a man) in public.

Never any of the usual suspects like Sauvage or Invictus, but I feel this is because they're usual and people are so accustomed to smelling them in public that they get tuned out.

The whole die a hero or live long enough to become a villain analogy applies to fragrances when they get too ubiquitous too. Something like Monsieur Musk (1973) on the other hand, stands out more so people notice and are more likely to comment (good or bad).
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader
    Currently wearing: Far Away for Men by Avon

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by Varanis Ridari View Post
    Never any of the usual suspects like Sauvage or Invictus, but I feel this is because they're usual and people are so accustomed to smelling them in public that they get tuned out.
    Good point.

The one scent that invariably gets complimented/noticed every single time I wear it is Vaninger by Oliver & Co. I think it's just so unusual that it gets attention from people. No one expects you to be smelling like fresh ginger.

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Good point.

The one scent that invariably gets complimented/noticed every single time I wear it is Vaninger by Oliver & Co. I think it's just so unusual that it gets attention from people. No one expects you to be smelling like fresh ginger.
    I'd like smelling that on a person too.
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader
    Currently wearing: Far Away for Men by Avon

Basenotes Plus

Nope, but I got carded the other day so that's something....

“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain

Sometimes read comments here how we really like unusual notes or scents that the mainstream don't, and maybe that fits as didn't get more compliments after falling down the rabbit hole of an expanding wardrobe. You might think with more variety would be more that someone would like, but doesn't seem to work that way.

What I find amusing, and it definitely does not fit the first part of this thread, is that by far the most complimented fragrance I have is vintage Grey Flannel. Sometimes when younger women like it I wonder if their father/uncle/etc may have worn it so it has a positive reference. One of the more recent pre-covid times it happened was in a checkout line, and the cashier actually said "your grey flannel smells wonderful"...... I can now picture clubbing types that bought Aventus jumping from buildings everywhere...