Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ever bought a 'compliment monster' that failed to roar?

We have all read and contributed to threads about 'compliment' monster fragrances and of course it is all personal and subjective.
    however, there are some that seem to have such consistent reviews of being compliment beasts that one may be forgiven for buying them with that expectation, even if not the main reason for purchase in of itself.

What fragrances have you bought, not necessarily blind by the way, that despite you liking them and reviews saying they are compliment beasts, only to find that you got nothing...nada...zero...zilch in so far as comments, let alone actual compliments from?

Yes you like or even love it, no problem but so far as your significant other, colleagues, friends and family are concerned, it simply doesn't exist, at least not enough to solicit a positive remark from them, darn it even a negative one for that matter...anything to acknowledge it!!!!.

I can't speak into other countries but in the UK, where my tree is planted, a branch of which I hang on for the most part, compliments seem to be few and far between.
    Perhaps it's a cultural thing 'stiff upper lip' and so forth? Perhaps I have simply consistently and regularly purchased and worn repulsive or nondescript fragrances? These hypothesis all seem unlikely though, as some of them have in fact been the so called compliment beasts and even referred to as such on here and other forums.

For example:-

Dior Sauvage - Nothing
    BDC Parfum - Zilch
    Creed GIT - Nada
    Aventus - nope...
    Creed Erolfa...yep you guessed it...again nothing...
    and the list goes on....Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Chanel PM EDT, Eternity Aqua, BDC EDT, Creed OV, Invictus Aqua......etc...etc...

I wore Creed GIT all Christmas day and refreshed for the evening.....sod all, not even a suggestion or acknowledgement that I was even wearing anything...nothing.

This also is the case at work. I work in a fairly small, open office and again....nothing....ever.....ever.....

Don't get me wrong, I am not seeking compliments and need none to 'enable' me or 'justify' me in any way, I just don't understand how I can so consistently and continually get no response at all from anything I wear, regardless of it's cost, exclusivity or scent profile.

Actually I do get some feedback from my wife....but only to wrinkle up her nose and express disgust in something she doesn't like, usually an older school masculaine like when I wore a sample of Creed BDP, she hated it.
    Funnily enough she never makes any positive remarks though....ever....

What about you guys?.....

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Default Re: Ever bought a 'compliment monster' that failed to roar?

Sure, but I rarely get compliments. When my scents get complimented it had usually been from someone looking to compliment me or make a connection with me in some way and the fragrance is just one thing they can comment on.

About the best I got with Aventus was someone asking if I was wearing a different perfume, so it obviously got noticed, but I almost never wear the same scent two days in a row or even twice in one week so I’m not sure it counts as a compliment.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Homme by Prada

very funny post , most of the current designers have modest performance so compliments are rarily encountered.
    Currently wearing: Good Life by Davidoff

I don't buy fragrances for compliments and I don't get compliments often(I guess personality plays a big role).

GIT is likely to be mistaken for Cool Water, especially from a distance. Erolfa is not everyone's cup of tea, it has some seaweed notes that not everyone likes.

As for me,

BdC EDT - no compliments or remarks, TdH - "it smells bad, too strong"

ps, Aventus got me compliments and attracted quite a bit of attention

I've received reactions and comments, good and bad (the latter pretty much always from the girlfriend, who else! She's American) but not compliments from strangers, which I wouldn't really care about unless they're really, really hot and want to tear my pants off. In that case their remarks regarding my perfume, which I already know smells good, could simply be an attempt to flatter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    I can't speak into other countries but in the UK, where my tree is planted, a branch of which I hang on for the most part, compliments seem to be few and far between.
    Perhaps it's a cultural thing 'stiff upper lip' and so forth? Perhaps I have simply consistently and regularly purchased and worn repulsive or nondescript fragrances? These hypothesis all seem unlikely though, as some of them have in fact been the so called compliment beasts and even referred to as such on here and other forums.
    Hanging from the same branch, I must say that this is the most likely reason why you're not getting compliments. Most people in the UK would rather jump of a bridge rather than pay a compliment which might make the recipient feel uncomfortable or take the wrong way. As a nation, the UK has mastered the art of being inoffensive so much that even the slightest chance of conflict sends most running for the woods.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

I imagine people can be reserved and risk averse, but hopefully/thankfully not all the people all the time.

My biggest issue is my SO not loving my Bijan for Men ring pop. There’s a bit of tension.

3EA4FC4D-CBC0-418C-8245-83859536117B.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I imagine people can be reserved and risk averse, but hopefully/thankfully not all the people all the time.

My biggest issue is my SO not loving my Bijan for Men ring pop. There’s a bit of tension.

3EA4FC4D-CBC0-418C-8245-83859536117B.jpeg
    Crikey!!! Is that the famous 'Prostate L'Homme'

Fun post, I really started my fragrance collection just before the beginning of the Covid-19 crisis, I haven't seen many people and even less without masks thus nobody says anything about my fragrances. My fiancée told me good stuff when I wore my TF tobacco vanille decant on Christmas day, but that's the max compliment I'll get, but also the most important one

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

I get a compliment every few weeks. Been complimented twice for Polo Cologne Intense. Most of my favorites have gotten a compliment at least once, except for Tobacco Oud.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Light my Fire by By Kilian

Some good replies so far, perhaps, for the sake of this thread at least, we should assume COVID doesn't exist and if necessary comment on pre-Covid experience. After all, the Covid situation is not the natural order of things and will eventually pass.

I got a compliment from a little kid as I was headed to the roof deck of a pool party

Well the kid didn’t say it to me directly

But when I entered the elevator she blurt out that something smelled good

Her caretakers just looked at me and laughed

I was wearing my brother’s l’eau par kenzo

I’ve owned this before but the fragrance was his

I just thought I’d use it for the day since I won’t be attending that many pool parties any time soon

I just don't understand how I can so consistently and continually get no response at all from anything I wear, regardless of it's cost, exclusivity or scent profile
    I'm not sure why you would expect any. Most people just don't dole out compliments for things like perfume, and I'm not sure why anyone should.

Hi Sloth,

I live in MAINE, U.S.A. I seldom (if ever) receive compliments/comments when I wear Cologne/Perfume. I have a fairly large collection of Colognes/Vintage Perfumes/Attars. Most all my Fragrances are considered very good to excellent that run the gamut of "Designer to Niche" : Christian Dior, Caron, Bogart, Lalique, L'Occitane, YSL to my favorites :
    SMN, L'Artisan, MPG, Guerlain, Serge Lutens, Marlou, Lorenzo Villoresi etc.

Not too distant past (while I was in a small shop) an older Woman (and I'm not a "Spring Chicken" myself) said something to the effect that "someone smells nice!" I believe this Woman was being sincere judging from the smile upon her Face. Despite the compliment, I have zero recollection of which Fragrance I might of been wearing on that day.

That being said, the only other time I recall really being complimented (that truly sticks in my memory) was many years ago. I was actually stopped on the Street/Side Walk by a young Lady who just had to know what Cologne I was wearing (she said she wanted to purchase this Cologne for her Boyfriend). This one event really sticks in my memory due to the fact that it like a T.V. Commercial than reality (not quite like Hai Karate) lol, but, you get the point. On this day, I for sure remember which Fragrance I was wearing because of this unusual chance meeting. On this day many years ago, I was wearing (original) YOHJI PH.

SixCats!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I hardly ever receive compliments from others so for me this is normal with any fragrance I own and wear.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I do think it's a cultural thing. I'm next door in Ireland and never receive compliments, although perhaps it's my Quasimodo like appearance. Think I got two for BR540 (from the same person so not sure if that counts), one for Spice and Wood, and maybe one for Aventus. That's from wearing every day for a number of years. I think there may be a bit of the reverse going on too - perhaps us UK / Irl types spray less as well?

Ha, I'm based in the UK so this thread definitely resonates! I've only really seriously got into fragrances since the start of the lockdowns so my social interactions are far less than normal but yeah, I get very very few compliments. I've pretty much worn a different fragrance every day for the past few months trying out samples/decants etc and I reckon I've had maybe three or four 'oooh you smell nice' from my wife (Amyris Pour Homme was the last one).

To be honest, it doesn't really bother me - I'm getting so much from just wearing them myself in terms of feeling good that any compliment is just a nice bonus.

I'm wearing Boucheron Jaipur today and from feeling grotty/sniffly and cold when I got up, it's helped put a smile on my face.

I'm sure you smell great btw Sloth!

I would say Musk Ravaguer, but less because of compliments, and more so because it wasn't nearly as good as I thought it'd be.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzle77 View Post
    Ha, I'm based in the UK so this thread definitely resonates! I've only really seriously got into fragrances since the start of the lockdowns so my social interactions are far less than normal but yeah, I get very very few compliments. I've pretty much worn a different fragrance every day for the past few months trying out samples/decants etc and I reckon I've had maybe three or four 'oooh you smell nice' from my wife (Amyris Pour Homme was the last one).

To be honest, it doesn't really bother me - I'm getting so much from just wearing them myself in terms of feeling good that any compliment is just a nice bonus.

I'm wearing Boucheron Jaipur today and from feeling grotty/sniffly and cold when I got up, it's helped put a smile on my face.

I'm sure you smell great btw Sloth!

Honestly, no one seems to like my Creeds. Aventus gets a lot of hate, as does SMW. Royal Mayfair gets a concerned look. GIT gets a shrug from most.

Of people I come in contact with, warm, slightly sweet scents seem to impress - MFK Amyris Homme, Kilian Intoxicated, l'Occitane Eaux des Baux are some of my more popular. Not that it influences my spraying.

There's definitely a cultural aspect to compliments. There's also a stigma in some cultures when someone is wearing fragrances, like they're trying to get attention vs. just wanting to smell nice.

I don't ever get compliments from my wife. I think she secretly thinks that by ignoring my fragrances, I'll get off the hobby and not spend so much on fragrances. Or another way to put it is, if she encouraged it then I would buy even more! Haha, she will point out, however, when my fragrance is too strong or off-putting to her.

In terms of strangers, I do or did get the occasional compliment while out and about pre-Covid. Though the last compliment I received was during Covid at the Dollar Tree from a masked woman who was coming down the aisle seeking my fragrance out loud. It was Aventus.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Zadig & Voltaire This is Him!
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

Likely very often, but was also surprised when the opposite of compliment monsters ranging from cheapies like Avon Black Suede Touch to quite conservative niche like Knize Ten got a much better feedback than expected
    Currently wearing: Floïd Suave by Floïd

I’ve mentioned it before and that is watch how others act around you while you have on a certain fragrance, most times they leave a silent compliment just by their actions or way they interact with you. Verbal compliments are not the only type of compliments, I never receive verbal compliments nor do I care for them. If you are wearing a excellent smelling fragrance and it’s mass pleasing then you smell great no need for reassurance focus on your personality and approach to people more. I know what I’m wearing is good stuff if it gets a compliment so be it but it doesn’t stop me from wearing any fragrance if no one says anything.
    Currently wearing: Pasha Parfum by Cartier

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    There's definitely a cultural aspect to compliments. There's also a stigma in some cultures when someone is wearing fragrances, like they're trying to get attention vs. just wanting to smell nice.

I don't ever get compliments from my wife. I think she secretly thinks that by ignoring my fragrances, I'll get off the hobby and not spend so much on fragrances. Or another way to put it is, if she encouraged it then I would buy even more! Haha, she will point out, however, when my fragrance is too strong or off-putting to her.

In terms of strangers, I do or did get the occasional compliment while out and about pre-Covid. Though the last compliment I received was during Covid at the Dollar Tree from a masked woman who was coming down the aisle seeking my fragrance out loud. It was Aventus.
    Mate, this is exactly how my wife is, it's uncanny how you describe it.
    I'm not alone!!!

I'm not alone!!!
    Actually, what's your wifes name?...just checking we're not married to the same gal?

Only kidding, don't say her name on forum.....(PM me instead!)

I wore Creed GIT all Christmas day and refreshed for the evening.....sod all, not even a suggestion or acknowledgement that I was even wearing anything...nothing.

This also is the case at work. I work in a fairly small, open office and again....nothing....ever.....ever.....

she never makes any positive remarks though....ever....
    ... I feel your pain. When you wear something that you yourself think smells great, it's almost surreal when no one says anything about it. GIT, for example, a scent that you yourself also cite. A scent known as a compliment getter, and one that I personally love. Never got a reaction to it. Never. No, wait, once. When I went to visit my brother to admire my newborn niece I wore GIT. "That weird smelling man's your uncle," my brother crowed.
    Gather ye pearls while the hog walks
    Currently wearing: Patchouli 24 by Le Labo

I'm not alone!!!
    Actually, what's your wifes name?...just checking we're not married to the same gal?

Only kidding, don't say her name on forum.....(PM me instead!)
    Haha, yeah, I'm sure others can relate here. I get it though, if you're not into the hobby it's hard to understand. But it does follow the same principles as other hobbies. I think she's used to me obsessing on a hobby (I also collect movies, omnibuses, etc.) and I think she just doesn't want it to get outta hand. TOO LATE.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Zadig & Voltaire This is Him!
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

I'm pretty shy so I don't really like getting compliments. Is it an American thing that my first thought is "oh no did I spray too much that you can smell me???"

The one fragrance that unexpectedly got lots of compliments is Le Labo Gaiac 10. It is such a quiet fragrance yet soooo many people who never said anything before would notice and go "something smells great in here" or "you smell amazing!"

I swear ISO E is human catnip.

Compliments for me are not frequent and generally unexpected. I think a lot of the comments about compliments come from younger men who are constantly on the prowl, and often in environments wherein comments on such a thing is not uncommon.

One thing I do miss from when I was working is that I had one co-worker who had a very sensitive sniffer and knew I was into frags. He would generally comment on the scent. Not a compliment per se, but at least acknowledgement that someone in the world besides me knew I was wearing a scent.

I would assert many people do notice our scent, but are just not inclined to comment for a variety of reasons. I recently had a dental hygienist comment that I always smelled so good. So she's noticed for quite awhile, but just never said anything.

I think there are a lot of people like that in our lives.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.
    Currently wearing: 1861 Naxos by Xerjoff

Quote Originally Posted by cheapimitation View Post
    I'm pretty shy so I don't really like getting compliments. Is it an American thing that my first thought is "oh no did I spray too much that you can smell me???"

The one fragrance that unexpectedly got lots of compliments is Le Labo Gaiac 10. It is such a quiet fragrance yet soooo many people who never said anything before would notice and go "something smells great in here" or "you smell amazing!"

I swear ISO E is human catnip.
    That sounds much more like a British thing, from the same gene pool as apologising (twice at least) for leaving a mark on a car after the driver has just run you over in it!