Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 139
  1. #61

    Default Re: New Amouage: Material and Boundless

    Quote Originally Posted by scenting prey View Post
    HDS is on the job!

    Ha! Thanks for the laugh!

    Well, it's after 10am. Still no status change other than "The Estimated Delivery Date is currently unavailable. Please try again later," and "Scheduled for delivery as agreed," both of which are utterly useless. This may end up being my very first purchase that I refuse receipt of. Harrods doesn't accept returns, either, but I'm not sure it meets the definition if it's never received to begin with. This is all on principle, too. There's just no way I'm accepting a delivery next week. I figure I better reach out to Harrods at this point and let them know of the situation - not that it's their fault and doubtful they can do anything at this point.
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

  2. #62
    Basenotes Plus
    scenting prey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    370

    Default Re: New Amouage: Material and Boundless

    Negotiate a partial refund see if Harrod’s bite (hit them up on IG or Twitter if you can). At a minimum some store credit in the amount of express shipping plus $50 compensation for your time. Mr. Salmon and Amouage’s social media team should make note of this sort of fulfillment fiasco. COVID and Brexit are here to stay it’s time to adapt to the new normal. That might mean new distribution channels for the US market which is admittedly a task suited for a marketing manager than a creative director.
    All the perfumes of Arabia will not sweeten this little hand.
    Currently wearing: Antonia by Puredistance

  3. #63

    Default Re: New Amouage: Material and Boundless

    Quote Originally Posted by scenting prey View Post
    Negotiate a partial refund see if Harrod’s bite (hit them up on IG or Twitter if you can). At a minimum some store credit in the amount of express shipping plus $50 compensation for your time. Mr. Salmon and Amouage’s social media team should make note of this sort of fulfillment fiasco. COVID and Brexit are here to stay it’s time to adapt to the new normal. That might mean new distribution channels for the US market.
    I've already sent Harrods an e-mail this morning and followed up with DHL on their FB page after they replied for me to contact their customer service. After both of those, and just before I was about to call the local DHL office, I received a text letting me know it was out for delivery by the end of day.

    What these delivery companies don't understand is I do NOT take theft lightly, especially with high-value items and I've had it done once (which is one too many times.) As such, I make it an effort to be here when the package is delivered so that there isn't any opportunity for that outcome. Unfortunately, there are times I'm away for up to 12 hours and that's just too much to risk for a package to sit in the open. DHL asks that a signature waiver be remitted, which I did believing it was to be delivered Wednesday. To be continually left in the dark and try to make arrangements for three straight days is asking a bit much.

    Last summer, with USPS, I put my mail on hold for a week. Two straight days I had packages delivered, one being "The Moon," over $500. The lady at the counter asked me if there was a reason why I was putting my mail on hold and picking it up the next day. I said, "Yes, these are high value items and I'm often gone for 12 hours at a time and don't want them sitting outside my door." The guy behind me in line said, "Smart move." What I should have done is flip the top of the box to the lady where the slip noted the declared value, right on top for everyone to see.

    My last three purchases have totaled shipping costs of nearly $100, one each via USPS, FedEx, and now DHL. All have arrived late, though in the FedEx case, that was stalled in Nashville due to customs for a couple of days. USPS was the cheapest, but zig-zagged for the countless time to the wrong city (I ended up filing a complaint with the OIG and gave them numerous instances over the past six months alone.)

    With the case of Harrods (and Amouage), they only offer shipping via DHL Express. This has been the only negative experience I've had to date with them, everything else being delivered next day once it reaches Cincinnati - but for both Cincinnati and Dayton to hold the express delivery an extra day without explanation is disappointing and I hope an anomaly, though I've read numerous issues recently with the Cincinnati office and delays.
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

  4. #64

    Default Re: New Amouage: Material and Boundless

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    I've already sent Harrods an e-mail this morning and followed up with DHL on their FB page after they replied for me to contact their customer service. After both of those, and just before I was about to call the local DHL office, I received a text letting me know it was out for delivery by the end of day.

    What these delivery companies don't understand is I do NOT take theft lightly, especially with high-value items and I've had it done once (which is one too many times.) As such, I make it an effort to be here when the package is delivered so that there isn't any opportunity for that outcome. Unfortunately, there are times I'm away for up to 12 hours and that's just too much to risk for a package to sit in the open. DHL asks that a signature waiver be remitted, which I did believing it was to be delivered Wednesday. To be continually left in the dark and try to make arrangements for three straight days is asking a bit much.

    Last summer, with USPS, I put my mail on hold for a week. Two straight days I had packages delivered, one being "The Moon," over $500. The lady at the counter asked me if there was a reason why I was putting my mail on hold and picking it up the next day. I said, "Yes, these are high value items and I'm often gone for 12 hours at a time and don't want them sitting outside my door." The guy behind me in line said, "Smart move." What I should have done is flip the top of the box to the lady where the slip noted the declared value, right on top for everyone to see.

    My last three purchases have totaled shipping costs of nearly $100, one each via USPS, FedEx, and now DHL. All have arrived late, though in the FedEx case, that was stalled in Nashville due to customs for a couple of days. USPS was the cheapest, but zig-zagged for the countless time to the wrong city (I ended up filing a complaint with the OIG and gave them numerous instances over the past six months alone.)

    With the case of Harrods (and Amouage), they only offer shipping via DHL Express. This has been the only negative experience I've had to date with them, everything else being delivered next day once it reaches Cincinnati - but for both Cincinnati and Dayton to hold the express delivery an extra day without explanation is disappointing and I hope an anomaly, though I've read numerous issues recently with the Cincinnati office and delays.
    Well - I am sorry that the Harrods order has been taking so long. I would prefer to read your impressions about the fragrance instead of about DHL.
    Hopefully, the situation will change soon.
    Given the uncertainty with shipping companies, we decided to announce the pre-orders on the Amouage website with shipments around the 29th. We probably “lost” quite some orders to other websites that announced direct shipment but at least it gives us some flexibility to ship earlier (some orders have already shipped) and hopefully no client will be disappointed.

  5. #65

    Default Re: New Amouage: Material and Boundless

    I received my shipment of Boundless from Harrods yesterday and wore the fragrance last night and today. It is yet another winner in my book. I do not know if it is because of the creative direction, perfumers, or materials, but I tend to love nearly all Amouage fragrances. Like other perfumes from this house, it has high quality materials, solid performance, and the Amouage DNA. It opens with a spicy orange scent, with the combination of the blood orange and ginger being the most prominent accord at the top of the fragrance. As it begins to dry down, the benzoin, vanilla, incense, and myrrh become more evident. Guaiac wood clearly mixes with those elements in the base. If I had to compare the fragrance with one from the Renaissance collection, it would be Enclave (except with orange instead of mint and the base being more woody). I give it a definite thumbs up and am glad I purchased it.

  6. #66
    Basenotes Junkie LatinNote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    617

    Default Re: New Amouage: Material and Boundless

    Quote Originally Posted by Benjaminjamesdoughty View Post
    Just my first thoughts after a few days with boundless:

    I’d describe this as golden green. Slightly sharp orange and ginger over patchouli and a rich base. Expertly blended.

    Not a love at first sniff by any means but it gets surprisingly addictive and requires much more testing to unpack - but I love that about it.

    As it dries down I sense similarities to bracken man just in the green forest floor feeling it gives.

    This was made by one of my favourite perfumers and is definitely worth a try. Will update when I’ve worn it more.

    I also have a bottle of material (which right now comes across to me as a typical benzoin, labdanum type scent) but will give it much more testing before giving any thoughts.
    ....
    Last edited by LatinNote; 17th April 2021 at 01:21 PM.
    Top Five Faves in my Wardrobe:
    1. Imitation Man -Amouage
    2. Michael for Men (vintage) -Michael Kors
    3. Fille en Aiguilles -Serge Lutens
    4. Malibu Party in the Bay -Simone Andreoli
    5. Overture -Amouage

  7. #67
    Basenotes Junkie LatinNote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    617

    Default Re: New Amouage: Material and Boundless

    Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    I received my shipment of Boundless from Harrods yesterday and wore the fragrance last night and today. It is yet another winner in my book. I do not know if it is because of the creative direction, perfumers, or materials, but I tend to love nearly all Amouage fragrances. Like other perfumes from this house, it has high quality materials, solid performance, and the Amouage DNA. It opens with a spicy orange scent, with the combination of the blood orange and ginger being the most prominent accord at the top of the fragrance. As it begins to dry down, the benzoin, vanilla, incense, and myrrh become more evident. Guaiac wood clearly mixes with those elements in the base. If I had to compare the fragrance with one from the Renaissance collection, it would be Enclave (except with orange instead of mint and the base being more woody). I give it a definite thumbs up and am glad I purchased it.
    I am really waiting for the samples to come out! Arrrgh!
    Top Five Faves in my Wardrobe:
    1. Imitation Man -Amouage
    2. Michael for Men (vintage) -Michael Kors
    3. Fille en Aiguilles -Serge Lutens
    4. Malibu Party in the Bay -Simone Andreoli
    5. Overture -Amouage

  8. #68

    Default Re: New Amouage: Material and Boundless

    Thank goodness it was delivered today and still there when I got home 6 hours later. I've only sprayed it a little bit - let's just say it put a smile on my face. The first few seconds, I kept thinking, I know I've smelled something like this, yet different. Then a couple of scents came to mind: Aramis Tobacco Reserve, which has a dark, green tobacco accord... and then there was something "mentholated" and spicy that finally struck me: Lorenzo Villoresi's Piper Nigrum. It has a similar ambery/balsamic spicy accord, with a dash of orange in it (paired with tobacco! I'm not sure why I'm picking up on that note so strongly in the opening, but the correlation is there.) Aramis Tobacco Reserve has this thick, dark, chewy-on-the-forrest-floor tobacco note that has a dewey-greenness to it that is reminiscent of this, but it's smoother, more polished and refined here and accompanied by the Piper Nigrum and orange zest note that has me giddy - and this is only the opening 10 - 15 minutes. I can tell that this is a complex scent that will reveal itself the longer it's on. Unfortunately, I need to sleep but will give this a full wearing tomorrow. I should note, though I've mentioned tobacco a bit, it's got a lot more going on than that and shouldn't be considered as such (a tobacco-based scent.) This is merely what I'm smelling in the first 20 minutes or so that has struck me.
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

  9. #69

    Default Re: New Amouage: Material and Boundless

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    Thank goodness it was delivered today and still there when I got home 6 hours later. I've only sprayed it a little bit - let's just say it put a smile on my face. The first few seconds, I kept thinking, I know I've smelled something like this, yet different. Then a couple of scents came to mind: Aramis Tobacco Reserve, which has a dark, green tobacco accord... and then there was something "mentholated" and spicy that finally struck me: Lorenzo Villoresi's Piper Nigrum. It has a similar ambery/balsamic spicy accord, with a dash of orange in it (paired with tobacco! I'm not sure why I'm picking up on that note so strongly in the opening, but the correlation is there.) Aramis Tobacco Reserve has this thick, dark, chewy-on-the-forrest-floor tobacco note that has a dewey-greenness to it that is reminiscent of this, but it's smoother, more polished and refined here and accompanied by the Piper Nigrum and orange zest note that has me giddy - and this is only the opening 10 - 15 minutes. I can tell that this is a complex scent that will reveal itself the longer it's on. Unfortunately, I need to sleep but will give this a full wearing tomorrow. I should note, though I've mentioned tobacco a bit, it's got a lot more going on than that and shouldn't be considered as such (a tobacco-based scent.) This is merely what I'm smelling in the first 20 minutes or so that has struck me.
    Fantastic first impressions. I’m really enjoying this one. It’s pretty complex and has so many nuances which I notice over time. Let us know more as you wear it.

    Found another review on YouTube today:
    Link

    As I wear ‘material’ more I’m slowly finding it to be possibly the last word on vanillic amber scents in terms of its blending and
    Complexity. Something akin to grand soir. I don’t think it’s for me, but I certainly appreciate it.

  10. #70
    Basenotes Junkie LatinNote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    617

    Default Re: New Amouage: Material and Boundless

    Quote Originally Posted by Benjaminjamesdoughty View Post
    Fantastic first impressions. I’m really enjoying this one. It’s pretty complex and has so many nuances which I notice over time. Let us know more as you wear it.

    Found another review on YouTube today:
    Link

    As I wear ‘material’ more I’m slowly finding it to be possibly the last word on vanillic amber scents in terms of its blending and
    Complexity. Something akin to grand soir. I don’t think it’s for me, but I certainly appreciate it.
    Never mind
    Top Five Faves in my Wardrobe:
    1. Imitation Man -Amouage
    2. Michael for Men (vintage) -Michael Kors
    3. Fille en Aiguilles -Serge Lutens
    4. Malibu Party in the Bay -Simone Andreoli
    5. Overture -Amouage

  11. #71

    Default Re: New Amouage: Material and Boundless

    Quote Originally Posted by Benjaminjamesdoughty View Post
    Fantastic first impressions. I’m really enjoying this one. It’s pretty complex and has so many nuances which I notice over time. Let us know more as you wear it.

    Found another review on YouTube today:
    Link

    As I wear ‘material’ more I’m slowly finding it to be possibly the last word on vanillic amber scents in terms of its blending and
    Complexity. Something akin to grand soir. I don’t think it’s for me, but I certainly appreciate it.
    Well, when I woke up and sniffed my hand I noticed how much it changed. I definitely got the cacao, but the woody/papyrus mixture with the mid notes (bourbon vanilla), the base notes (vetiver, incense, patchouli), and smokiness had me thinking there's a bit of Gucci Pour Homme in the mix here, too - not to mention GPH has ginger as well. There is some real artistry going on here. I'm not sure it will be universally loved by people, but I liken it to buying an album that initially you're like, mmmmmkay... there's a few things that grab me here, but as you listen to it more and more and start anticipating all the little hooks, bridges and various nuances, it grows into being one of your favorite. It's not that it was bad upon first listen; rather that your expectations were such that its complexities needed to be experienced and appreciated one spray at a time.

    I sprayed some on again for a full wearing after taking a shower and the opening is just so different and wonderful in the same breath.
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

  12. #72
    Basenotes Junkie LatinNote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    617

    Default Re: New Amouage: Material and Boundless

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    Well, when I woke up and sniffed my hand I noticed how much it changed. I definitely got the cacao, but the woody/papyrus mixture with the mid notes (bourbon vanilla), the base notes (vetiver, incense, patchouli), and smokiness had me thinking there's a bit of Gucci Pour Homme in the mix here, too - not to mention GPH has ginger as well. There is some real artistry going on here. I'm not sure it will be universally loved by people, but I liken it to buying an album that initially you're like, mmmmmkay... there's a few things that grab me here, but as you listen to it more and more and start anticipating all the little hooks, bridges and various nuances, it grows into being one of your favorite. It's not that it was bad upon first listen; rather that your expectations were such that its complexities needed to be experienced and appreciated one spray at a time.

    I sprayed some on again for a full wearing after taking a shower and the opening is just so different and wonderful in the same breath.
    Very interesting
    Top Five Faves in my Wardrobe:
    1. Imitation Man -Amouage
    2. Michael for Men (vintage) -Michael Kors
    3. Fille en Aiguilles -Serge Lutens
    4. Malibu Party in the Bay -Simone Andreoli
    5. Overture -Amouage

  13. #73

    Default Re: New Amouage: Material and Boundless

    So, I can't get the Piper Nigrum association out of my head which is interesting, because Piper Nigrum = Black Pepper. But, looking at the note pyramid for it, I can see there are several of the same notes which are giving me the strong association: Elemi resin, Myrrh, Woodsy notes (which could be anything), and Benzoin. My guess is the benzoin/myrrh/elemi that is giving it the similar vibe. Anyone familiar with the benzoin in scents like Body Korous and Pi will get the note here.
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

  14. #74
    Dependent Mak-7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,031

    Default Re: New Amouage: Material and Boundless

    Benzoin is sweet and smooth resin, so i wouldnt associate it to pepper, if thats what you want to know, but elemi has the lemony and a bit of varnish, that could partially substitute pepper. Ginger would give it a zing as well.
    I am using it at an attempt at frankincense fragrance as top note to give that smell of raw resin.

  15. #75

    Default Re: New Amouage: Material and Boundless

    Quote Originally Posted by Mak-7 View Post
    Benzoin is sweet and smooth resin, so i wouldnt associate it to pepper, if thats what you want to know, but elemi has the lemony and a bit of varnish, that could partially substitute pepper. Ginger would give it a zing as well.
    I am using it at an attempt at frankincense fragrance as top note to give that smell of raw resin.
    I wasn't associating it with pepper, just that Piper Nigrum literally translates to "black pepper." Upon spraying Piper Nigrum, you're hit with the black pepper, but then it's a cacophony of notes including the above and some green ones (fennel, oregano, etc.) that settle down to a dominate benzoin, ambery, woody accord. It's definitely the benzoin and other notes that give Boundless the same fame.
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

  16. #76
    Dependent Emanuel76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Oriental Europe
    Posts
    2,396

    Default Re: New Amouage: Material and Boundless

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    Thank goodness it was delivered today and still there when I got home 6 hours later. I've only sprayed it a little bit - let's just say it put a smile on my face. The first few seconds, I kept thinking, I know I've smelled something like this, yet different. Then a couple of scents came to mind: Aramis Tobacco Reserve, which has a dark, green tobacco accord... and then there was something "mentholated" and spicy that finally struck me: Lorenzo Villoresi's Piper Nigrum. It has a similar ambery/balsamic spicy accord, with a dash of orange in it (paired with tobacco! I'm not sure why I'm picking up on that note so strongly in the opening, but the correlation is there.) Aramis Tobacco Reserve has this thick, dark, chewy-on-the-forrest-floor tobacco note that has a dewey-greenness to it that is reminiscent of this, but it's smoother, more polished and refined here and accompanied by the Piper Nigrum and orange zest note that has me giddy - and this is only the opening 10 - 15 minutes. I can tell that this is a complex scent that will reveal itself the longer it's on. Unfortunately, I need to sleep but will give this a full wearing tomorrow. I should note, though I've mentioned tobacco a bit, it's got a lot more going on than that and shouldn't be considered as such (a tobacco-based scent.) This is merely what I'm smelling in the first 20 minutes or so that has struck me.

    I like that "tobacco" comes up often in the description of the first quarter of an hour. But after that you didn't mention tobacco at all.
    That's it?



    tobacco-the-bark.jpg
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

  17. #77

    Default Re: New Amouage: Material and Boundless

    Quote Originally Posted by Emanuel76 View Post
    I like that "tobacco" comes up often in the description of the first quarter of an hour. But after that you didn't mention tobacco at all.
    That's it?

    tobacco-the-bark.jpg
    LOL, you have to understand - it was 2 a.m. when I spritzed and wrote that. I fell asleep after 20 minutes!

    I do get the tobacco throughout the scent, it's just blended well with the other notes that poke in and out. It's noticeable, but there are times when the cacao seems more noticeable. I think the note is more prominent than what's rate on fragrantica, showing it at the bottom of the list, but it's really the combination of it with the patchouli and cacao and perhaps the incense and myrrh that gives it a smokey, tobacco feel. Overall, the scent wears perhaps closer to Memoir Man, another by the same perfumer, than say the brashness of Tobacco Vanille. I saw early votes on fragrantica comparing it to PdM's Herod, which I can sort of see with the exception this is much more complex and more akin to the tobacco in Aramis's Tobacco Reserve.
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

  18. #78
    Dependent Emanuel76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Oriental Europe
    Posts
    2,396

    Default Re: New Amouage: Material and Boundless

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    LOL, you have to understand - it was 2 a.m. when I spritzed and wrote that. I fell asleep after 20 minutes!
    I perfectly understood this part. But you didn't mention tobacco after that anymore.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    I do get the tobacco throughout the scent, it's just blended well with the other notes that poke in and out. It's noticeable, but there are times when the cacao seems more noticeable. I think the note is more prominent than what's rate on fragrantica, showing it at the bottom of the list, but it's really the combination of it with the patchouli and cacao and perhaps the incense and myrrh that gives it a smokey, tobacco feel. Overall, the scent wears perhaps closer to Memoir Man, another by the same perfumer, than say the brashness of Tobacco Vanille. I saw early votes on fragrantica comparing it to PdM's Herod, which I can sort of see with the exception this is much more complex and more akin to the tobacco in Aramis's Tobacco Reserve.
    My nose approves. Your description sounds really good.

    Can you say it's kind of dark, smoky caffe mocha?
    Does it have a suede texture?
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

  19. #79

    Default Re: New Amouage: Material and Boundless

    Quote Originally Posted by Emanuel76 View Post

    Can you say it's kind of dark, smoky caffe mocha?
    Does it have a suede texture?
    I wouldn't say it has a caffe mocha vibe or suede texture. There is a certain darkness to it, but not overly so. I think the copy ad for it does a good job describing the feel of it, sort of like being in a sun-starved forest whose limbs snuff out the sky and sunlight, save for those slivers of hazy rays here and there that manage to hit the floor. That's sans the tobacco, but captures kind of the mood of it all. This photo pretty much nails it:

    7e2902a69dbbcf96ea5f33d138000eab.jpg
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

  20. #80
    Dependent Emanuel76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Oriental Europe
    Posts
    2,396

    Default Re: New Amouage: Material and Boundless

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    I wouldn't say it has a caffe mocha vibe or suede texture. There is a certain darkness to it, but not overly so. I think the copy ad for it does a good job describing the feel of it, sort of like being in a sun-starved forest whose limbs snuff out the sky and sunlight, save for those slivers of hazy rays here and there that manage to hit the floor. That's sans the tobacco, but captures kind of the mood of it all. This photo pretty much nails it:
    I'll definitely test it.

    The guys from ebay are lethargic. Boundless and Material samples haven't turned up yet.

    Thank you!
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

  21. #81
    Dependent LloydLlewellyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    2,261

    Default Re: New Amouage: Material and Boundless

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    LOL, you have to understand - it was 2 a.m. when I spritzed and wrote that. I fell asleep after 20 minutes!

    I do get the tobacco throughout the scent, it's just blended well with the other notes that poke in and out. It's noticeable, but there are times when the cacao seems more noticeable. I think the note is more prominent than what's rate on fragrantica, showing it at the bottom of the list, but it's really the combination of it with the patchouli and cacao and perhaps the incense and myrrh that gives it a smokey, tobacco feel. Overall, the scent wears perhaps closer to Memoir Man, another by the same perfumer, than say the brashness of Tobacco Vanille. I saw early votes on fragrantica comparing it to PdM's Herod, which I can sort of see with the exception this is much more complex and more akin to the tobacco in Aramis's Tobacco Reserve.
    Is it rather sweet? Memoir Man is rather bitter, I would say.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

  22. #82
    Basenotes Junkie LatinNote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    617

    Default Re: New Amouage: Material and Boundless

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    LOL, you have to understand - it was 2 a.m. when I spritzed and wrote that. I fell asleep after 20 minutes!

    I do get the tobacco throughout the scent, it's just blended well with the other notes that poke in and out. It's noticeable, but there are times when the cacao seems more noticeable. I think the note is more prominent than what's rate on fragrantica, showing it at the bottom of the list, but it's really the combination of it with the patchouli and cacao and perhaps the incense and myrrh that gives it a smokey, tobacco feel. Overall, the scent wears perhaps closer to Memoir Man, another by the same perfumer, than say the brashness of Tobacco Vanille. I saw early votes on fragrantica comparing it to PdM's Herod, which I can sort of see with the exception this is much more complex and more akin to the tobacco in Aramis's Tobacco Reserve.
    I am considering foregoing the samples someday and might pull the trigger on blind buying Boundless. My question, Bark, is do you believe it's full bottle worthy? I've tried Memoir Man and Tobacco Reserve. But like LloydLlewellyn asked, is it "rather sweet"? I like Memoir but to me Tobacco Reserve was a tad too sweet for me. What say you?
    Top Five Faves in my Wardrobe:
    1. Imitation Man -Amouage
    2. Michael for Men (vintage) -Michael Kors
    3. Fille en Aiguilles -Serge Lutens
    4. Malibu Party in the Bay -Simone Andreoli
    5. Overture -Amouage

  23. #83

    Default Re: New Amouage: Material and Boundless

    Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    Is it rather sweet? Memoir Man is rather bitter, I would say.
    No, not overly sweet at all. There's a certain degree of it in the opening, but it's most definitely not an overload. It does develop more bitterness as it time goes by (Myrrh, Vetiver and the Tobacco all kind of contribute to it), but there's a strong cacao "dusting" with patchouli late in the game that is really surprising (I'm not sure if the patchouli is contributing to it or not as some types give of a chocolate accord, too). I say dusting because it's more of a powder, without being powdery nor sweet.
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

  24. #84

    Default Re: New Amouage: Material and Boundless

    Quote Originally Posted by LatinNote View Post
    I am considering foregoing the samples someday and might pull the trigger on blind buying Boundless. My question, Bark, is do you believe it's full bottle worthy? I've tried Memoir Man and Tobacco Reserve. But like LloydLlewellyn asked, is it "rather sweet"? I like Memoir but to me Tobacco Reserve was a tad too sweet for me. What say you?

    I'd definitely sample, first. I do believe it's full bottle worthy, but that's coming from someone with a lot of bottles as a collection. It took me a while to warm up to Memoir Man and I finally purchased a bottle last year and I'm glad I did. I certainly appreciate wearing it now that I've had time to explore it, per se, as I find it to be a very contemplative/meditative type of scent. The comparison I make with Boundless to Memoir is that they both have a "cooling" effect, whether from mint (MM) or cardamom (BM) as well as a green, tobacco, incense, and woody accords. It's like they're in the same family tree, which shouldn't be surprising coming from the same perfumer.

    The Aramis Tobacco Reserve comparison, I'm really making it to the dewey, green tobacco leaf accord. The tonka and cassis (black currant) contribute to the sweetness found there, as I suppose the tobacco leaf to some degree, but it's offset by a bitterness. I've only worn Tobacco Reserve a couple of times but would say it's definitely sweeter. The sweetness in BM is pushed back by the spices and, to be honest, I don't really notice the bourbon vanilla as much as I do the benzoin (I seem to get it more in the opening than the mid-notes, but by then, 20+ minutes in, it's settling into the long haul before the cacao appears later.) There is a certain degree of sweetness in BM, no doubt, but I don't find it overly so to the degree I would use it to describe the fragrance.

    I think those who like Memoir Man will like this. Again, different approaches to some of the same notes, but overall, they wear similarly but the tone is different. I go back to the photo I posted of the forest with rays of hazy light for Boundless Man. For Memoir Man, it's more like this:

    6821300179_e9132fa859_b.jpg
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

  25. #85
    Dependent LloydLlewellyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    2,261

    Default Re: New Amouage: Material and Boundless

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    No, not overly sweet at all. There's a certain degree of it in the opening, but it's most definitely not an overload. It does develop more bitterness as it time goes by (Myrrh, Vetiver and the Tobacco all kind of contribute to it), but there's a strong cacao "dusting" with patchouli late in the game that is really surprising (I'm not sure if the patchouli is contributing to it or not as some types give of a chocolate accord, too). I say dusting because it's more of a powder, without being powdery nor sweet.
    Thanks for your descriptions. I agree that some patchoulis have that chocolate or cocoa aspect, such as in Serge Lutens’ Bornéo 1834.
    I also find Memoir Man gloomy (in a good way) so I can see how Boundless might be a bit more luminous version of it.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

  26. #86
    Basenotes Junkie LatinNote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    617

    Default Re: New Amouage: Material and Boundless

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    I'd definitely sample, first. I do believe it's full bottle worthy, but that's coming from someone with a lot of bottles as a collection. It took me a while to warm up to Memoir Man and I finally purchased a bottle last year and I'm glad I did. I certainly appreciate wearing it now that I've had time to explore it, per se, as I find it to be a very contemplative/meditative type of scent. The comparison I make with Boundless to Memoir is that they both have a "cooling" effect, whether from mint (MM) or cardamom (BM) as well as a green, tobacco, incense, and woody accords. It's like they're in the same family tree, which shouldn't be surprising coming from the same perfumer.

    The Aramis Tobacco Reserve comparison, I'm really making it to the dewey, green tobacco leaf accord. The tonka and cassis (black currant) contribute to the sweetness found there, as I suppose the tobacco leaf to some degree, but it's offset by a bitterness. I've only worn Tobacco Reserve a couple of times but would say it's definitely sweeter. The sweetness in BM is pushed back by the spices and, to be honest, I don't really notice the bourbon vanilla as much as I do the benzoin (I seem to get it more in the opening than the mid-notes, but by then, 20+ minutes in, it's settling into the long haul before the cacao appears later.) There is a certain degree of sweetness in BM, no doubt, but I don't find it overly so to the degree I would use it to describe the fragrance.

    I think those who like Memoir Man will like this. Again, different approaches to some of the same notes, but overall, they wear similarly but the tone is different. I go back to the photo I posted of the forest with rays of hazy light for Boundless Man. For Memoir Man, it's more like this:

    6821300179_e9132fa859_b.jpg
    Thank you so much (!) for such a great description with more clarity to answer my question. It makes a lot more sense to me now, and you got me quite excited. I will now pull the trigger and get that bottle of Boundless Man. Thanks again!
    Top Five Faves in my Wardrobe:
    1. Imitation Man -Amouage
    2. Michael for Men (vintage) -Michael Kors
    3. Fille en Aiguilles -Serge Lutens
    4. Malibu Party in the Bay -Simone Andreoli
    5. Overture -Amouage

  27. #87

    Default Re: New Amouage: Material and Boundless

    A review by the wonderful Alexandre Helwani is up now on Ca Fleur Bon.

  28. #88
    Basenotes Junkie LatinNote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    617

    Default Re: New Amouage: Material and Boundless

    The trigger has been pulled. I just completed my order from Harrod's. So looking forward to receiving this.
    Top Five Faves in my Wardrobe:
    1. Imitation Man -Amouage
    2. Michael for Men (vintage) -Michael Kors
    3. Fille en Aiguilles -Serge Lutens
    4. Malibu Party in the Bay -Simone Andreoli
    5. Overture -Amouage

  29. #89
    Dependent slpfrsly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,887

    Default Re: New Amouage: Material and Boundless

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    So, I can't get the Piper Nigrum association out of my head which is interesting, because Piper Nigrum = Black Pepper. But, looking at the note pyramid for it, I can see there are several of the same notes which are giving me the strong association: Elemi resin, Myrrh, Woodsy notes (which could be anything), and Benzoin. My guess is the benzoin/myrrh/elemi that is giving it the similar vibe. Anyone familiar with the benzoin in scents like Body Korous and Pi will get the note here.
    Piper Nigrum is a fantastic fragrance that is terribly named. It has little to do with black pepper after the first few minutes. It's a minty/mentholated spice cabinet. Villoresi's signature use of cloves is paired with a masala mix, to my nose, with some dry balsamic notes giving it a pleasing base.

    I like the sound of this but my experiences with Amouage fragrances have been mixed. I can see the appeal of Interlude Man, and enjoyed Jubilation, but Overture is unwearable. I'm intrigued to read more impressions of this as time goes on. I've found Amouage to engender gushing, almost fanboy-ish reviews over on fragrantica which never tally to my experience of the fragrances so I'm hopeful for some more measured takes on basenotes.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

  30. #90
    Basenotes Junkie LatinNote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    617

    Default Re: New Amouage: Material and Boundless

    Quote Originally Posted by cheapimitation View Post
    A review by the wonderful Alexandre Helwani is up now on Ca Fleur Bon.
    Thank you for such a fascinating read!
    Top Five Faves in my Wardrobe:
    1. Imitation Man -Amouage
    2. Michael for Men (vintage) -Michael Kors
    3. Fille en Aiguilles -Serge Lutens
    4. Malibu Party in the Bay -Simone Andreoli
    5. Overture -Amouage




Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Name the 3 most beautiful material you know
    By mattmeleg in forum Fragrance DIY
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 18th August 2019, 11:12 PM
  2. incense material
    By pobepto in forum Fragrance DIY
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 14th October 2018, 04:42 AM
  3. Attars- Raw material
    By Bhushan in forum Fragrance DIY
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 15th May 2017, 03:56 PM
  4. using the right solvent in the right material
    By oliverandco in forum Fragrance DIY
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 17th June 2011, 01:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000