Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is It Really Bad to Wear Winter Fragrances During Hot Weather?

Hello guys. I am new to the whole hobby. But is it really bad to wear seasonal fragrances when it is not in season?

Can someone explain in layman's terms what happens if I wear a winter fragrance in summer? I live in a country where it is humid/almost always summer time, but I enjoy sweet scents. Should I really avoid that? Would girls find it repulsive or ants eat me when I am asleep?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Is It Really Bad to Wear Winter Fragrances During Hot Weather?

Quote Originally Posted by edgeowns View Post
    Can someone explain in layman's terms what happens if I wear a winter fragrance in summer?
    IMO nothing. I wear all my fragrances all year round.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Like Hednic said, nothing. Some people find certain scents very cloying in hot weather and not so much so when it is cold out, so that is maybe what you are thinking of. I find that if i want to wear a heavy "winter" type scent in the summer, simply go lighter on the trigger and no issues.

Personally, I wouldn't want to be wearing heavy, sweet gourmands in a humid climate. Probably a bit sickly.

I'd prefer sharp citruses or chypres to cut through the heat.

Hello guys. I am new to the whole hobby. But is it really bad to wear seasonal fragrances when it is not in season?

Can someone explain in layman's terms what happens if I wear a winter fragrance in summer? I live in a country where it is humid/almost always summer time, but I enjoy sweet scents. Should I really avoid that? Would girls find it repulsive or ants eat me when I am asleep?
    Personnaly, I am quite seasonal. But nothing wrong in wearing winter fragrances in summer. The only thing I would keep in mind is how much you spray, like Avo1811 said. Especially in close spaces (public transports etc...) because if you go trigger heavy with heavy fragrances and those situations, you might get some dirty looks.

Nothing wrong, it's whatever one likes. It's probably true that most people prefer fresher perfumes in the summer, and viceversa, but we all have different tastes and there's no way to know what one person finds repulsive or not. In Gulf countries, people wear very warm and heavy perfumes, despite the temperatures.

cacio

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Trial and error....you may find that you enjoy your favorite scents any time of year or you may be prone to only preferring them in certain temperatures. If the climate rarely changes, then just get what you like and don't worry about it. Adjust your number of sprays accordingly.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

It's never bad to wear anything you want when you want.

Basenotes Plus

I wear all of mine year round. In fact I find some of the fragrances people say are only for cold weather to perform really nicely in the heat

Missing Oakmoss

I've never paid any attention to seasons when it comes to perfume. I go completely by what I'm in the mood for.

I wear whatever I want no matter the season.
    DONNA

Sillage Monster

I occasionally wear heavy ambers in the height of summer heat. Also, air conditioning can make seasonality a nonissue.
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.

Can someone explain in layman's terms what happens if I wear a winter fragrance in summer? I live in a country where it is humid/almost always summer time, but I enjoy sweet scents.
    Basically, scent molecules are more volatile and seem more intense and diffuse to our noses when heated up and moisturized, as they are likely to be in summer (unless in a cooled space). Dry air/weather minimizes the effect a little.

Whether that's a bad thing is for you to decide. Some people find sweeter/heavier scents oppressive when they bloom in hot humidity; you may not. I tend not to wear sweet or very "thick" scents in the summer heat, but will wear dry or spicy heavy scents, as I feel those mingle a little better with the heat.

With light/fresh scents, the same overall effect occurs, but you're starting with a lighter foundation, so where sweet/heavy scents get oppressive, lighter/cleaner scents get a nice performance boost instead of disappearing quickly or staying very close to the skin when it's cooler.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: R by Révillon

If the winter fragrances are not very sweet ones, anything is/becomes possible and appropriate in hot weather as well
    Currently wearing: Romeo Gigli by Romeo Gigli

No it’s just the dense fragrances can be overbearing for you the wearer or project louder then usual because of body heat. Control the sprays and if you enjoy how it smells in the heat then wear it no rule just a matter of preference.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Wear whatever you want whenever you want. You might not want to wear too much of something heavier when it's warm, but if that doesn't bother you, then why not, as long as you're not choking out everyone around you?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    I've never paid any attention to seasons when it comes to perfume. I go completely by what I'm in the mood for.
    Same here

Dependent

But is it really bad to wear seasonal fragrances when it is not in season?
    Not if you enjoy it.

Thanks guys! Appreciate it a lot!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    IMO nothing. I wear all my fragrances all year round.
    This.
    Spray less, love more.

Wear what suits you. Recommended "seasons" are about as useful to me as gender classifications. They can be instructive if I am looking to blind buy something, but once I get my nose on a fragrance I can judge whether and how I would like to wear it myself. I get sick if I am in high heat wearing anything with strong vanilla, gourmand elements, or certain resins. So I avoid them if I am going to be outdoors for long on a hot day.

I wear heavy scents anytime, all year long.
    Currently wearing: Agua Brava by Antonio Puig

I cannot reiterate enough how great GGA is in high heat

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    Exactly the same for me

I’m not old, I’m vintage.

Are you mad? It causes GLOBAL WARMING!

Seriously, I'm with the "wear whatever, whenever" crowd, figuring if some combo of frag and temp doesn't work for me, I'll learn that soon enough on my own. Also, I work indoors with a functioning HVAC system, so most of the time I have no idea what the weather is, anyway.

I can't imagine why you shouldn't wear what you want to wear, whenever you want to wear it, but that's just me.

Just spray less to avoid entering Mugler smog territory (12 sprays of AMen in summer aka peak vulgarity).

In short no, you could wear any fragrance anytime of the year.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Verveine Narcisse by Creed

Banking off of LiveJazz’s response: as long as you assume to wear just a bit less (in terms of sprays), you should be fine! Sometimes it may not even smell as strong to you as it does to other people, so using a conservative spray hand is beneficial.
    Currently wearing: Slowdive by Hiram Green

Basenotes Plus

Like so many others, I go by craving rather than season. Ambre Sultan and Parfum Sacre are but two examples of perfumes that I enjoy any time of the year.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain