Code of Conduct

Default BDC EDT - Screechy at first but I like the incense...

Hi, I have had Chanel BDC EDT from 2017, I like it a lot but it's not perfect.
    It does start out a little synthetic and 'screechy' to me I also get that lovely incense from the beginning, peeking through every now and then.
    I have decided I like incense.
    I liked it in ADG Profumo but ultimately couldn't tolerate the 'wet dog' vibe I got until the dry down, when the lovely incense kicked in.

So...what other, fresh aromatics have a nice incense but without the harsh, screechy opening of BDC EDT?
    Will the BDC EDP solve that issue or is it so like the EDT as to make it a pointless upgrade?
    Perhaps the Parfum? Although from what little I remember about it, that is more about the creamy sandalwood dry down, rather than incense, correct me if I'm wrong though?

I appreciate that most fragrances, even most niche brands (shock, horror!) have an element of synthetics to them but I do get it a lot with BDC EDT, especially in the opening stages.

Does the EDP or Parfum feel more 'natural' and is the EDP notably smoother?

Any other suggestions for a nice fresh, aromatic with incense?

Nothing too niche' please as it's just not my bag...or budget!

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: BDC EDT - Screechy at first but I like the incense...

All three are cool IMO. I prefer the EDP though.

I don't think the other BDCs mentioned really have any more of the incense you are after. They are both worthwhile re-calibrations of the original and probably would seem less screechy in the opening, but unfortunately no more incense.

Im sure you'll get lots of great recommendations for alternative fresh/aromatic incense frags!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Does the EDP or Parfum feel more 'natural' and is the EDP notably smoother?
    Yes IMO.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

The Parfum is smoother then the rest but the overall smell from beginning to end smells nicer in the EDT it easily blinds the nose but the sillage that others smell is very nice!
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

The incense is from a personal viewpoint one of the best aspects in this fragrance once its base dries down and becomes noticeable
    Currently wearing: Romeo Gigli by Romeo Gigli

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

There’s incense in BdC? All I get is something gritty that I suspect is the disagreeable way I perceive norlimbanol.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Homme by Prada

Quote Originally Posted by ION-ONE View Post
    I don't think the other BDCs mentioned really have any more of the incense you are after. They are both worthwhile re-calibrations of the original and probably would seem less screechy in the opening, but unfortunately no more incense.
    I quite agree. I've had plenty of sampling rounds with the whole series now. I still prefer the Parfum having tired it side by side recently with the EdT. The entire series has a string of synthetics and they are all just re-balanced versions of one another. More freshness (and that screechy 'incense' if that's what we should be calling it) in the EdT, but more woods (read amberwood and norlimbanol/cypriol) in the Parfum. I detect quite a heavy dose of ISO E Super in the EdT as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    There’s incense in BdC? All I get is something gritty that I suspect is the disagreeable way I perceive norlimbanol.
    My thoughts entirely. Ever since the original was released in 2010, I have never been able to say that I detect an "incense" note in the true sense of the phrase in any version of BdC. The same goes for Profumo.

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

The parfum is smoother but a bit expensive for me.
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader
    Currently wearing: Far Away for Men by Avon

EDT is still my favorite version despite I haven’t tried the Parfum yet. I find it more rounded. I haven’t noticed this synthetic opening. Gotta try it again. I don’t think it will bother me. Nowadays I hardy stick around top notes anymore.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

ELdO Hermann a Mes Cotes... might be a good option - earthy cool blackcurrant and incense with a refreshing but not screechy ambroxan base. It's like an ambroxan fragrance, but for the cool kids. Not incense-forward, but it has the same type of synthetic "incense" aromachem, just handled more carefully.
    “I have often observed that [scents] cause an alteration in me and work upon my spirits according to their several virtues; which makes me approve of what is said, that the use of incense and perfumes in churches, so ancient and so universally received in all nations and religions, was intended to cheer us, and to rouse and purify the senses, the better to fit us for contemplation” - Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Varanis Ridari View Post
    The parfum is smoother but a bit expensive for me.
    Agree if I’m going this price range I’d opt for a Les Exclusifs.
    Current Top Favorites:

Ralph Lauren Polo
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum 2017
    Chanel Bleu De Chanel EDT
    Chanel Egoiste
    Costume National Homme
    Hermes Bel Ami
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Caron Le 3ème Homme
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Seems like my inexperience has shown itself if there is no actual incense in BDC EDT?
    All I can say is that I smell something that reminds me a little of the incense base in ADG Profumo, it's how I thought incense smells i.e. sweet, resinous and rich but not gourmand?

Apologies for any newby confusion....

Sloth, I fell into the same illusion when I was fairly new to this hobby.

I found these two threads really useful and I ended up saving them so that I could refer to them again in future. I would read through them both thoroughly and in this order:
    https://www.basenotes.net/threads/42...eccomendations
    https://www.basenotes.net/threads/42...finitive-guide

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Sloth, I fell into the same illusion when I was fairly new to this hobby.

I found these two threads really useful and I ended up saving them so that I could refer to them again in future. I would read through them both thoroughly and in this order:
    https://www.basenotes.net/threads/42...eccomendations
    https://www.basenotes.net/threads/42...finitive-guide
    Thanks Rum, much appreciated. I'll have a ganders.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Seems like my inexperience has shown itself if there is no actual incense in BDC EDT?
    All I can say is that I smell something that reminds me a little of the incense base in ADG Profumo, it's how I thought incense smells i.e. sweet, resinous and rich but not gourmand?

Apologies for any newby confusion....
    Incense is a weird note - there are so many different types and it’s not always clear what’s being referred to (Indian, Chinese, Japanese, ecclesiastical, etc). I was heavily into the world of Japanese aloeswood/oud incense before the fragrance world, and my ideas of both oud and incense still don’t totally line up with how they appear in fragrances. It’s taken me a while to figure out what range of smells “incense” refers to in the fragrance world, even though I was a longtime incense fan before this haha.

And anyway a lot of the time it’s just a euphemism for highly diffusive woodyamber aromachems. My rec above of ELdO Hermann was more because it smells like the “incense” in designer frags than actual incense.
    “I have often observed that [scents] cause an alteration in me and work upon my spirits according to their several virtues; which makes me approve of what is said, that the use of incense and perfumes in churches, so ancient and so universally received in all nations and religions, was intended to cheer us, and to rouse and purify the senses, the better to fit us for contemplation” - Montaigne