Code of Conduct

Default Dissolving a total absolute in ethanol

There's a lovely material on Hermitage that I really want to smell, but its a total absolute and I work in ethanol. Is there any way to make this dissolvable so I can try it?

Default Re: Dissolving a total absolute in ethanol

It will be dissolvable, just not all of it will dissolve, which does not have to be a problem.

As you chose to not reveal the material other than vaguely saying it's a lovely one, it's impossible to say more.

I wasn't sure if it would make a difference, but it's called Mango Ginger CO2 (TOTAL)

Dependent

It's not an absolute. Total extracts can be quite insoluble in ethanol.

My approach to materials that wouldn't solve in ethanol is to add them as they are to the concentrate, mix it with alcohol on a stirrer, and clarify the finished product, if needed, by decanting or cold filtering, whatever works better.

Whoops, I didn’t meant to write absolute. I was looking at those before I asked the question and the word got stuck in my brain!

So basically, I mix it with undiluted material and then mix with alcohol and freeze filter?

Have you actually tried dissolving it in alcohol & seeing what happens? Maybe all of it dissolves? Or maybe all of the smells that you care about dissolve? Seems like an empirical approach is warranted here, rather than a theoretical one.

Ive not used this particular co2 extract, but others from hermitage. Some caused cloudiness in my mixtures. I used a double coffee filter and filtered the material through, repeating this process twice. Despite this there was a tiny bit of insoluble material left but it was negligible

Xii's approach may well be called the best IMO (in most regards) because it is simple and certain.

One can also (in effect) make tinctures of the CO2's and sometimes nearly all the materials providing the aroma will dissolve rather than remain associated with the residue, but it can take some experimenting to get it right.

The reason that could be advantageous sometimes is it lets you work with smaller quantities. But if wanting certain results, meaning you're definitely going to get as good as you can possibly get, and wanting no possible complications, I second xii's method.
    Last edited by Bill Roberts; 9th April 2021 at 02:14 PM.

I haven't bought it yet, but it sounds awesome. I know hermitage has a good reputation for naturals and I make a lot of fruit materials that I think it would blend with. I'll probably get a little sample and try to dilute it.

CO2s like this ive found do not totally dissolve but that you get the scent you want out of it just fine after filter/decant/etc. Go for it!

I've not used this particular material, but I've worked with similar SCO2 extracts before & have found that if you predissolve them in IPM, it helps it to remain in solution in ethanol (depending on the concentration) and you can sometimes get away without even needing any special filtering. Try a 1:1 ratio & adjust from there based on your formula

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk