Code of Conduct

Default Concentration querry

Hi Perfumers..
    I got a question if you would kindly answer it i would be super grateful... 🙏
    If i use 10 drops of a material at 10%, will it be the same as using 1 drop at 100% full concentration in terms of odor strength?

Default Re: Concentration querry

[Deleted, misunderstood question]
    Last edited by NobleScent; 9th April 2021 at 08:51 PM.

In theory, you might think this is the case, but its not. You're gonna have to invest in a scale and start doing it by weight if you want to be precise and accurate, ...not by drops.

Mostly because, when you dilute something down...the weight of each drop is actually lower because alcohol weighs less than most materials.

Example:
    1 drop of 100% pure cedarwood oil weighs around 0.023g (approximate)

Now if you had a separate batch of cedarwood oil diluted down to 10% in alcohol, its weight changes because alcohol weighs less than oil, and that 10% dilution batch is mostly alcohol ...and not so much oil.

1 drop of 10% (diluted in alcohol) cedarwood weighs around 0.017g (approximate)
    So 10 drops of that diluted batch is actually 0.17g total weight.
    But by considering that in these 10 drops it only consists of 10% raw oil and 90% alcohol, the simple math shows us that 10 drops of our 10% diluted batch only contains ......0.017g of raw oil and 0.153g alcohol

So no, 10 drops of the 10% dilution batch will not equal 1 drop of raw oil.
    1 drop of raw oil is .023g
    10 drops of the 10% batch contains .017g of raw in it

To scale up for size, lets say you made a perfume that has 6 drops of raw cedarwood oil, ...thats 0.138g of raw cedarwood in your perfume. Now if you instead used 60 drops of the 10% diluted batch thinking thats gonna be the same result...60 drops of the 10% batch only contains 0.102g of raw oil in that 60 drops.

0.138g versus 0.102g of raw cedarwood oil in your perfume is a big variance difference.

Always use a scale.
    ...bathing in perfumes...
    ► Follow my perfumery journey on Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by Bkkorn View Post
    You're gonna have to invest in a scale and start doing it by weight if you want to be precise and accurate, ...not by drops.
    I should have read a little more carefully. I apologize. Yes with drops (but not weight) it will differ and I should have specified.

I assumed you were more of interested in the ratio itself.

I also agree you should transition to weight and scale as soon as feasible. For quick things I sometimes just used drops but once you move beyond a few drops here or there the accuracy spins out of control.

Basenotes Plus

How did you measure out your 10% dilution?
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Thank you so much Bryan and Noblescent... this was very helpful. I have a scale and will use it as advised.
    Paul, this is how i do it ... One part aroma material + Nine parts alcohol

Paul meant, I am pretty sure, what are you using to determine your parts?

Weight? Volume? Drops?

Blog Entries

I wish I could find the article, but am having troubles. It stated that once an aroma chemical has been diluted, it changes the volatility, so no, if you use something diluted to 10%, you can never achieve the same impact if you add more to your formula.
    Jude Rutledge
    Currently wearing: Joy by Jean Patou

Without finding the article I'm afraid the claim will be viewed as more likely misremembered, as it makes no sense.

Molecules do not retain memory of their past conditions. For same final formula, no differing results remain from what dilution they were in when added.

This might sound foolish and off topic, but take into account that when you use a large amount of diluted materials, youre also diluting the entire sample. Im not in conditions of saying with total accuracy if 10 drops od Delta Damascone have the same odor impact that 1 drop of pure Delta Damascone, but, the more diluted materials you use, the more diluted your sample will be. Maybe 10 drops of IBQ diluted to %10 have the same odor impact that 1 drop of the undilited material, but, if in the same sample you use 10 drops of some damascone diluted to %10, and 10 drops of some super amber diluted to %10, youre adding a lot of alcohol that will dilute, wether you wanted it or not, your entire mix.

Blog Entries

To the original poster, you can test it yourself. Take your 10 parts,10% diluted material and see if it has the same impact as 1 part 100%.
    Jude Rutledge
    Currently wearing: Joy by Jean Patou