Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How Often Do You Blind Buy?

Say for every 5 purchases, how many are blind buys? And when you do, what size do you usually get?

For me where decants for sale are rare and testers in malls are limited, I have to rely on blind buys. And worse, it is almost always 100ml available. Glad I never bought anything I am disappointed yet, but then again, I only got over a dozen.

Dependent

Default Re: How Often Do You Blind Buy?

Very rarely. I've only done it a few times.

Too often. I am working on that.

Basenotes Plus

I've blind bought 3 times in the last 13 years. One was a success, one a flop, and one was somewhere in between - I don't love the fragrance but do reach for it every now and then.

I usually don't blind buy as a general rule - I'm just too picky and discerning. Often it takes both a sample and a small decant to decide if I love something enough to add it to my collection. Usually what tempts me to blind buy is FOMO - seeing a single bottle on eBay or elsewhere at a price that seems too good to pass up, or a worry that I won't be able to get a bottle later, as with limited editions etc.

Often but haven’t been buying new stuff lately, blind buys are easily flipped so I never feel I made a mistake you can’t always test every fragrance.
    Current Top Favorites:

Ralph Lauren Polo
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Chanel Bleu De Chanel EDT
    Chanel Egoiste
    Givenchy Gentleman EDT Originale
    Costume National Homme
    Hermes Bel Ami
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Caron Le 3ème Homme
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP
    Cartier Pasha De Cartier Parfum
    Salvatore Ferragamo F Pour Homme Black
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

More often in the past, almost never currently (unless the fragrance is dirt cheap and/or already has good feedback here on BN)
    Currently wearing: Bogart by Jacques Bogart

Quote Originally Posted by Jcelello View Post
    Too often. I am working on that.
    Amen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Very often
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Institution TNBLUEMIKE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Very often
    Likewise. Especially, when items sell out so fast from the smaller artisans.
    Currently wearing: Tibetan Musk by Ensar Oud

Dependent

Sometimes I can't find samples of things that intrigue me, so I'll do some blind buying as long as the selling price is in the "reasonable" range from discounters. Frags often tend to "grow on me" , so it's not often that I have regretted these purchases.
    Currently wearing: Potion by Dsquared2

Dependent

Often, I get sold by reviews and bottle presentation but I always end up selling more than half of them.

I often blind buy minis - they are like oversized samples in neat packaging, and last me many wears, they allow me to get to know a fragrance quite well for an affordable price, and I do treat them like a part of my wardrobe despite their small size. I do not buy all minis I can get my hands on, only the ones I suspect I'd really like. There were a couple I was disappointed in, but most I really enjoyed.

I have bought bigger size bottles blindly, but I well researched all of them before committing to a purchase and was pretty sure I am going to like them. It's usually not the biggest bottle unless it's a no brainer (like when a bigger bottle is more expensive by 5€ or even cheaper). I do blind buy when a perfume is discontinued or unavailable to test in stores, has a great price and is something I'm really, really, really interested in. Some of my favourites were thoroughly tested many times before purchasing, but some in fact were blind buys - Bvlgari Black, VC&Arpels Bois d'Iris, Cartier Le Baiser du Dragon, Salvador Dali Le Roy Soleil, my L'Artisan Parfumeur minis, SJP Twilight, all my Shalimars except EDP & Souffle d'Oranger (well, these weren't real blind buys as I knew I loved EDP, d'Oranger and regular Souffle already and knew what I can expect).

My least successful blind buys were when I gambled because of general curiosity, search of novelty and not because I was genuinely thinking I'd love this perfume, and indeed I didn't like them much. But only one of them was truly vile to me (it was a mini of Salvador Dali Itislove), others were more like 'meh' or 'nice, but not really my style'. But there were very few of them, most I really enjoy. And yet I don't blind buy full bottles often. But I sometimes do blind swap, with various results.

TBH some of my worst purchases were made AFTER testing in the store, in a stupid rush of "yes, I do like it and do want it", not thinking about how often I would actually wear it and that a sample would be really just enough.

All Is Beautiful

Most of the time.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkAlice View Post
    ...some of my worst purchases were made AFTER testing in the store, in a stupid rush of "yes, I do like it and do want it", not thinking about how often I would actually wear it and that a sample would be really just enough.
    +1

At this point, I really enjoy my vintage frags the most with a just a few moderns mixed in. Unless something comes out and really blows me away I am content with what I currently have in my wardrobe.

“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain

Dependent

Very rarely, almost never. (I *did* blind buy Chinese Oud recently, but Areej is the exception to the rule)

There's no reason to really with the amount of splitters available to test stuff, and also with the availability of samples directly from many of the fragrance houses

I’m not old, I’m vintage.

Roughly twice a day.

I used to a lot, but now almost never.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Visit by Azzaro

Sound Scents

Extremely rarely nowadays.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Jasmin Antique (Rogue Perfumery)

3) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    3) Giorgio V.I.P. Special Reserve (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie

5) Dia pour Homme vintage edt (Amouage)

6) Nombre Noir (Shiseido)
    7) Lucifer (Renaissance Fragrances)
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren)
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy)
    10)Javanese Patchouli (Zegna)

Currently wearing: Kolonya by Rasei Fort

Almost never. I find sampling essential.
    Spring is here : greens, vetiver, leather. Selecting from : Bottega Veneta Bottega Veneta pour Homme EdT; Etro Gomma, Etro Palais Jamais. Aramis Tuscany; Hermes Equipage (vtg), Hermes Bel Ami, Caron Yatagan; Guerlain Vetiver. And Penhaligon's Elixir.
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig

Basenotes Junkie

Often. Cause there is no opportunity to test it out.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
    1. Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    2. Eau D'Hederin by Annick Goutal
    3. Neroli Portofino by Tom ford
    4. Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    5. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    6. Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    7. Scandal by Roja
    8. Sublime Vanille by Creed
    9. Moon Safari by Memo
    10. Pour Homme by Paco Robanne

I'd say probably 4/5 buys are blind. I like the thrill and surprise. I don't usually buy anything super expensive. But then again, sometimes I do. I have a very good idea of notes/accords/combinations that I like, and I do intensive research before buying. I've had some that haven't lived up to my expectations, but out of probably ~50 blind buys at this point, I've only had one that was such a dud I gave it away (Lalique Hommage a l'Homme Voyageur - ick).
    “I have often observed that [scents] cause an alteration in me and work upon my spirits according to their several virtues; which makes me approve of what is said, that the use of incense and perfumes in churches, so ancient and so universally received in all nations and religions, was intended to cheer us, and to rouse and purify the senses, the better to fit us for contemplation” - Montaigne
    Currently wearing: Greyland by Montale

95% of the time, 93 % of the time I like and sell the ones that I don't.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Never
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

90%. There are some I will get samples of, but typically they're the very pricey ones - but not always. Out of the last couple of years, I'd say there's been two I didn't like that I sold within a couple of months - and that's out of a lot of purchases. My success rate is due in part to having been in this for a couple fo decades now and knowing which notes I like and have a good deal of success with certain houses.
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

I did, once.
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Extremely rarely nowadays.
    This.

Missing Oakmoss

My buying days are pretty much over, but historically all then-current formulations - 5 out of 5, as you stipulate - of my purchases have either been well researched blind buys (usually 50ml, sometimes travel-size refills), or vintage bottles of perfumes I've smelled at one time or another.

I find the problem with sampling is also this:

Often I buy decanted/samples that are around 6-8 bucks at 2ml and with shipping and all you easily pay 60-80 bucks for a sample haul of 10 or so fragrances. Out of that you maybe like one or two perfumes enough to buy a bottle, which one in itself is maybe 120-180 bucks.

So effectively you paid for example 120 + 60 bucks for a bottle you could have had at 120 bucks. Sure, you also avoided the risk of spending 120 for something you don‘t like but at an „investment“ of 60 bucks it is just not a very good proposition in my opinion. Plus most of my samples then just stack up in that old tin box of mine, never to see the light of day anymore.

Oh the conundrum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default How Often Do You Blind Buy?

(Double post)

Extremely often nowadays. A bunch of reasons – the pandemic (at the moment), dislike of physical shopping and the lack of variety where I live (and retail pricing).
    I buy decants here and there but in the end I prefer the actual bottle in my hand, so I try to do my research before I pull the trigger.
    Currently wearing: 1957 by Chanel