Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Is this how you pronounce Loewe?

I always pronounced it like Lo-way. Where is he getting the "vay" from?
    All Time Top 10: Fahrenheit, Fahrenheit Absolute, Corduroy, Seduction in Black, Itasca, Arpege pH, Burberry London, Spark Seduction, Paul Smith Man, Eau des Baux

Default Re: Is this how you pronounce Loewe?

It’s vay. It’s a Spanish brand. Watch this ad: https://youtu.be/Kb3ylQVgYUA

On a related side note, I’m always puzzled by how so many YouTubers pronounce Ralph Lauren. Low-ren? LOL

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Another one:

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Oooh it annoys how badly Youtubers butcher names in general. Like, can they not do the bare minimum research and look up how to say it before they put their content out into the world?

Sebastien here isn't far off at least.

I too was surprised and embarrassed the first time I heard how to pronounce Loewe. I was asking for it at a boutique and the SA politely corrected me by repeating it back and in my head I thought "ohhhh wow I was far off!" lol. As others pointed out, it is Spanish and I'm not as familiar with Spanish pronunciation as I am French.

The most mispronounced brand of all time has to be Le Labo! EVERYONE says "lay labo" but in French, "lay" is "les", just "le" is short e (I'm not a linguist I don't remember the term). It's a small thing but I lose a hair on my head each time I hear it.

It's not even vay, but veh. Lo-eh-veh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeaveli2682 View Post

On a related side note, I’m always puzzled by how so many YouTubers pronounce Ralph Lauren. Low-ren? LOL
    I'm curious now, how do you think Lauren is pronounced? I do have the inside scoop on this one.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Zadig & Voltaire This is Him!
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa
    Currently wearing: Leather Oud by Floris

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    It's not even vay, but veh. Lo-eh-veh.

I'm curious now, how do you think Lauren is pronounced? I do have the inside scoop on this one.
    I pronounce Loewe the same way it’s pronounced in the above videos. Re: Ralph Lauren, the same way it’s pronounced at the end of this commercial: https://youtu.be/EEKTIrlTnW0

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeaveli2682 View Post
    I pronounce Loewe the same way it’s pronounced in the above videos. Re: Ralph Lauren, the same way it’s pronounced at the end of this commercial: https://youtu.be/EEKTIrlTnW0
    Okay gotcha, yeah, I thought you were implying that the accent is on the "ren" part, like I've heard from some reviewers. But you're literally saying that you've heard them say "Low" and not that the accent is in the first syllable.

I was guilty of pronouncing it LauREN till I started dating his ranch manager's daughter and got to meet him one weekend. I was quickly enlightened on how it was properly pronounced.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Zadig & Voltaire This is Him!
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa
    Currently wearing: Leather Oud by Floris

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    Okay gotcha, yeah, I thought you were implying that the accent is on the "ren" part, like I've heard from some reviewers. But you're literally saying that you've heard them say "Low" and not that the accent is in the first syllable.

I was guilty of pronouncing it LauREN till I started dating his ranch manager's daughter and got to meet him one weekend. I was quickly enlightened on how it was properly pronounced.
    Forgive me, I am not an expert in spelling out pronunciation... which is why I included the Loewe video and the Ralph Lauren video...

What's interesting is that the name originates from Germany. Lo-e-vey is a Spanish reinterpretation of the German surname. Similar to when English-speakers anglicize Japanese names.

To be fair to all the youtubers, many perfume names are French and French is hard per se, especially if you are an English native.

I am not. In fact, my wife is French and in Switzerland French is an official language, so it‘s safe to say I know a thing or two about how to pronounce all those Guerlains, Chanels, Parfums, Hommes etc. etc. So when I watch them reviwers, I chuckle a bit but mostly am surprised if someone manages to get it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

So.. the w is a v really?
    All Time Top 10: Fahrenheit, Fahrenheit Absolute, Corduroy, Seduction in Black, Itasca, Arpege pH, Burberry London, Spark Seduction, Paul Smith Man, Eau des Baux

Luh way way

I’m not old, I’m vintage.

Part of the confusion over the pronunciation of “Loewe” is that, while the house is Spanish, the name is German.

As for Lauren, the name is pronounced however Ralph wants, since he changed it from Lifshitz when he was 16, for obvious reasons.
    Currently wearing: Eau Noble by Le Galion

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    So.. the w is a v really?
    In several languages 'w' is pronounced a 'v' and in some the 'v' is pronounced as 'f' just to make it more confusing for anglophones

I actually had no idea that Loewe was pronounced like that 'lo-eh-ve'

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chopwet View Post
    In several languages 'w' is pronounced a 'v' and in some the 'v' is pronounced as 'f' just to make it more confusing for anglophones

I actually had no idea that Loewe was pronounced like that 'lo-eh-ve'
    e.g. Volkswagen→Folksvagen

I had heard the proper pronunciation of Loewe a number of years ago, but damned if the voice inside my head doesn’t read it with a more standard English pronunciation of the name. I don’t know that I’ve ever said it out loud, and I would probably e rather tentative as I try to work out which pronunciation the person I’m talking to would recognize/use.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Wow I was way off on my assumption for this one. I don't think I ever spoke it aloud, but in my head, I always just pronounced it "low".
    Current Winter Favorites:

1. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    2. Brückner - Aoud 1
    3. Creed - Royal Oud
    4. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Generation Man
    5. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    6. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    7. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Mortal Skin
    8. Creed - Royal English Leather
    9. Creed - Bois du Portugal
    10. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions

Banned

Guy in the first video sounds ok.

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Part of the confusion over the pronunciation of “Loewe” is that, while the house is Spanish, the name is German.
    It's even more confusing because the surname has been changed from what would be normally used in German, Löwe, to the version without the umlaut, Loewe, no doubt because the umlaut isn't really common abroad.

Also, a titbit: Löwe / Loewe mens Lion in German.

As others have said I too rarely say any of these out aloud and what makes things funnier is when you try to use the correct French pronunciation for houses like Guerlain in an anglophone country and the salespeople just stare at you: oh you mean 'Gurlane'?

Quote Originally Posted by chopwet View Post
    As others have said I too rarely say any of these out aloud and what makes things funnier is when you try to use the correct French pronunciation for houses like Guerlain in an anglophone country and the salespeople just stare at you: oh you mean 'Gurlane'?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

It's a German name, hence the w making a v sound.

So far, always pronounced this the German way, but uncertain if actually correct
    Currently wearing: L'Occitan by L'Occitane

Gag video from the official brand. This is the "official" pronunciation of the appropriated German surname. Pronouncing it the German way is more rebellious.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Wow I was way off on my assumption for this one. I don't think I ever spoke it aloud, but in my head, I always just pronounced it "low".
    Same, and then I saw on a Youtube video someone pronounce it as "low-way", then I started to. Now I hear Sebastian pronouncing it "low-way-vay".

Most people I know who I've heard enunciate it, have said it as "low"

I've learnt German, so have always given it the German pronouciation (for Löwe), but of course it's had the crazy Spanish pronouciation added on top which makes it rather comical to be honest. I'll stick with the original German. Those damned appropriating Spaniads, tush!
    Currently wearing: Cabochard by Grès

Dependent

Learned something new today!

It's 'luvvy' dahling!