Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What are your thoughts on L'Envol???

I received a sample of the edp and I've been flirting with the idea of buying it..it's quite polarizing to me.
    It's very different from all recent designer fragrances. Even with the honey note it's no gourmand that's for sure.
    It seems quite formal to me don't think the edp would be that good as a summer scent..
    Longevity- man I got 17 hours yesterday so it's a beast for sure but not a projection monster.
    The bottle is beautiful but not practical. The limited edition with the thin glass is a disaster waiting to happen. You'd have to be very careful not to break it.
    I'm not knocked out by this fragrance but it's so different and strange it's starting to grow on me..
    Do you guys like it?

Default Re: What are your thoughts on L'Envol???

I read about iris and honey when I ordered it but then all I got was viol. And it was harsh. So I was very disappointed. It's time to give it a few more wearings to decide if it can grow on me.
    Currently wearing: Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

It's not an easy fragrance and I wouldn't consider it a good blind buy. But there is something I like about it. You definitely should give it some more wearing. I hope you end up liking it. It seems quite the same from beginning to end and I do think it's quite elegant but it is a bit challenging I think.

The edp is a springtime favorite and the edt is very nice on summer evenings. Love these fragrances, highly recommended.
    When the night takes on its own life, the tempo changes. Take along, languorous breath. Linger till dawn, keep your head in the stars. You're suspended in time.

I really enjoy it but it is quite thick, and it takes some getting used to in order to realize all the notes.

I do get the honey for sure, and an incense vibe all around.
    Waiting for Hednic's 8th star

For me, it's the honey and violet combination that sets this one apart. Very well-blended and excellent for the spring time!
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Zadig & Voltaire This is Him!
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

Quote Originally Posted by Foamywax View Post
    it's quite polarizing to me...
    it's so different and strange...
    Do you guys like it?
    It is different. It is strange. I don't like it. I do like all the cosmetics about the packaging. Great bottle, boxes etc. Classy looking color to the juice.

On my skin, it smells like your average dish washing liquid. I never seem to keep Cartier fragrances. There is a "coldness" to them that does not agree with me, much like my experience with Bvlgari scents.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Own and love it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I wasn’t a fan of the performance otherwise a excellent fragrance imo.
    Current Top Favorites:

Ralph Lauren Polo
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Chanel Bleu De Chanel EDT
    Chanel Egoiste
    Costume National Homme
    Hermes Bel Ami
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Caron Le 3ème Homme
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP
    Cartier Pasha De Cartier Parfum
    Currently wearing: Pasha Parfum by Cartier

I have a small 9ml spray bottle of the EDP and really like it. I agree with Chuck about the "coldness" of Cartier fragrances in general but find this one very warm and comforting yet not heavy or cloying. I can see myself getting a full bottle of this when the 9ml runs out. Saying that, it's a 1-2 spray fragrance for me so it will last a while longer yet...!

I really liked it at first, but I got bored with it quite quickly -- can't explain

I never got on with this one. Something about was off-putting to me. I gave it multiple wears to see if it would grow on me, but with each wearing I liked it less.
    Currently wearing: Aventus Cologne by Creed

Is the EDT worth trying if you didn't like the EDP? I had the same negative reaction to the EDP as others have stated.

Quote Originally Posted by jdp191 View Post
    I never got on with this one. Something about was off-putting to me. I gave it multiple wears to see if it would grow on me, but with each wearing I liked it less.
    me too!
    FREE AS THE WIND!

It's not an easy fragrance and I wouldn't consider it a good blind buy. But there is something I like about it. You definitely should give it some more wearing. I hope you end up liking it. It seems quite the same from beginning to end and I do think it's quite elegant but it is a bit challenging I think.
    These are my thoughts. I wear it at the office (I mean... I used to... but you get my point), and at the same time it is complex enought for a fraghead not to be bored after 5min. My kind of fragrance, but I agree that it requires some appreciation for perfumery as an art to appreciate it, without it being an offensive fragrance. Who usually favour the usual freshies might not understand this one. The apex of Cartier's line up, imo.

I wasn't sure at first, but it grew on me with repeated wears. Not an everyday casual fragrance and I agree that there's something very soft and comforting about it, like a cashmere sweater. Long lasting on my skin, with below average projection or sillage.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    It is different. It is strange. I don't like it.
    Aside of scent that I love, these are exactly the reasons why I love it even more. A non-mainstream designer scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian5701 View Post
    Is the EDT worth trying if you didn't like the EDP? I had the same negative reaction to the EDP as others have stated.
    The EDP leans definitely masculine with a strengthened leathery violet note. The EDT is nice too, but totally unisex to my nose, more mainstream smelling and a bit boring. For a full experience, I'd suggest to stick to the EDP - which is a masterpiece to my nose.

[QUOTE=Andy the frenchy;5157155]Aside of scent that I love, these are exactly the reasons why I love it even more. A non-mainstream designer scent.

I understand. We all have to come to terms with what pleases us.

After a long time in this hobby, scents that don't immediately appeal to me don't have a place in my wardrobe. Just like Radiohead.

It's true it's not a very inviting scent but there is something beautiful about it. I do see myself buying this in the future.. can't tell which bottle is nicer..the one with the capsule or the heavier all glass bottle.
    I would also love to try Pasha and Santos as I've never tried them.

Sound Scents

I am afraid it didn't work for me. I didn't hate it by any means, but my test sample was set aside in near record time after giving it a go.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Jasmin Antique (Rogue Perfumery)
    3) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    3) Giorgio V.I.P. Special Reserve (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie

5) Dia pour Homme vintage edt (Amouage)

6) Nombre Noir (Shiseido)
    7) Lucifer (Renaissance Fragrances)
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren)
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy)
    10)Javanese Patchouli (Zegna)

Currently wearing: Nombre Noir by Shiseido

It is different. It is strange. I don't like it. I do like all the cosmetics about the packaging. Great bottle, boxes etc. Classy looking color to the juice.

On my skin, it smells like your average dish washing liquid. I never seem to keep Cartier fragrances. There is a "coldness" to them that does not agree with me, much like my experience with Bvlgari scents.
    I see what you mean but I find bvlgari fragrances to be more accessible and crowd pleasing. Black is definitely not a cold fragrance and aqva is quite the crowd pleasing aquatic. I owned declaration when I was in my twenties and that was a more cold and dry type of fragrance but really nice as well. I'm hoping to buy both pasha and Santos soon even if I don't try them first. I'm beginning to like l'envol even more now and it's nice to wear something that is more art than product every once in a while.

I understand. We all have to come to terms with what pleases us.

After a long time in this hobby, scents that don't immediately appeal to me don't have a place in my wardrobe. Just like Radiohead.
    Oh Chuck...
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Zadig & Voltaire This is Him!
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

L'envol EDP is amazing! Best honey note I've ever smelt.
    Currently wearing: Rocabar by Hermès

I dunno, I really liked Viva La Vida.
    Currently wearing: Attar AT by Tauer

Quote Originally Posted by pete7505 View Post
    I dunno, I really liked Viva La Vida.
    Isn't that Coldplay, though?

Very nice blend by Laurent. Somehow I got bored of the honey note though, I'm not sure why. It's competently made and was (and still is) a breath of fresh air with its powdery iris/violet and honeyed woody finish.

It took me 10 minutes - while biking home. Just at the spraying I quite liked it, then in the fresh air it left me with some not really pleasant smell. Not for me. I would call it too artificial to my tastes..

Dependent

Own and love the edp. Fantastic in Springtime. Simple, elegant. I say simple but it’s actually really clever how it’s done because each note is clear and substantial but the overall effect of the perfume isn’t heavy.

I received a sample of the edp and I've been flirting with the idea of buying it..it's quite polarizing to me.
    It's very different from all recent designer fragrances.
    I'm not knocked out by this fragrance but it's so different and strange it's starting to grow on me..
    Do you guys like it?
    I love it.... both EDP and EDT. I can agree it's polarizing, and I have a lot less experience than some of you as far as things tried to compare it to, but it is quite different and unusual to me. But I don't really like it because it is different, I just like it from wearing.

The "starting to grow on me" comment is very accurate I think. I liked but did not love it at first, or even on a few wearings, it's one the more you wear you find more about it and more to like. I suspect if you are really negative on first wear give it a pass, but if you are neutral than give it a few more tries to see if it stays neutral or becomes "yes!!!".... In that way it's perhaps more like a niche than the common designer fragrance.

I bought my mother a perfume, which came with a L'Envol sample. My father liked it, so I bought him a bottle.
    I don't liked L'Envol before, but now I'm used to it. It's OK from a distance.

Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron