Code of Conduct

Question J & J Classic baby powder scent

Hello everyone, great forum here!

I'm new to perfumes and essential oils and was wondering if someone with experience could please point me in the right direction. I'll try to explain this as to the point as I can.

I've recently being trying to experiment with scents because Jonson & Jonson discontinued their classic baby powder when they switched over the cornstarch because of the lawsuit. I loved how it smelled when my girlfriend wore it. I understand their reason for moving from TELC to cornstarch. But they discontinued the classic scent that millions of people around the world grew up on.
    This was a nostalgic scent to many of us people. There were even dating shows on TV that talked about males putting a little powder behind their ears as a trigger for a female because it reminded them of baby's. In any case, it was a horrible marketing decision to discontinue something that's being around for over 50 years. It's like discontinuing Heinz catch-up. People are selling 22oz bottles of classic J & J on Ebaby for as much as $100+ and fools like me are buying it.

How could I produce the same scent for my own personal use? I've smelled some oils that are close, but nothing is like the real thing. I've called some perfume analyzer company's, but they want $3000.00 per ingredient that they break down.

Default Re: J & J Classic baby powder scent

If you really want you could see if you can extract the scent with alcohol, and if you can, Phytochemia could analyze it for you for not much over $200 perhaps.

Other than that, I haven't seen a published analysis or a repro formula.

If you would like to play with it, try Coumarin, Citronellol, Geraniol, Benzyl Alcohol, Limonene, Linalool, Benzyl Salicylate, and Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone (from an old ingredients list) and possibly some of lemon oil, musk ketone, other ionones, diphenyl oxide, cedarwood-terpeneless, geranyl acetate, ylang ylang oil; cedryl acetate, isoeugenol, cinnamic alcohol, Aurantiol, methyl anthranilate, vanillin, bergamot oil, eugenol, cananga oil, citral, tetrahydrolinalool, patchouli oil, methyl isoeugenol, hexylcinnamic aldehyde, olibanum resin, balsam fir resin, musk ambrette, balsam Peru resin, sandalwood oil, terpenyl acetate, benzyl isoeugenol, copaiba oil, nutmeg oil, rhodinol, diphenyl methane, hydroxycitronellal, methyl benzoate, benzyl propionate, palmarosa oil, orange oil, geranium oil, and lavender oil (from non-limiting illustrative useful ingredients for baby powder fragrance in a J&J patent.)

If a material is not on the following list, it probably hasn't been used in the last couple of years, so might not be needed for the baby powder fragrance or to at least get close to it: https://www.safetyandcarecommitment....nts/fragrances

Btw, this is a great list to read, organized into notes.

As an example, here is the full list of what J&J will use for banana:

Amyl acetate
    Amyl butyrate
    Benzyl acetate
    Benzyl propionate
    Hexyl acetate
    Isoamyl acetate
    Isoamyl butyrate
    Prenyl acetate

Interesting to know.

Or, as another practical example, I may need some coconut flavor ingredients and using J&J's list for how they make coconut notes to inform myself, I got candidates of Decalactone delta, gamma-Heptalactone, gamma-Hexalactone, Lactojasmone, Octalactone gamma and "Aldehyde C18" just like that. A couple of which might have taken me a long time to come up with otherwise. (Of course, how they will work towards flavoring will require some experimentation, and anyway I am looking more for coconut water taste rather than coconut cream or meat, but we'll see.)

Point being, if wanting to see "What materials would J&J use?" for any given note, that list will tell you. It could help you on a baby powder project, if feeling confident of what notes you smell in it.

I haven't smelled the baby powder myself in decades and never much at all, actually it has always put me off, so don't have a contribution myself beyond listing the above.
    Last edited by Bill Roberts; 13th April 2021 at 10:12 PM.

I have made the smell of baby powder accidentally before.

There is a flower called Choisya ternata that smells a lot like J&J baby powder.

J&J baby powder smells like Chanel No 5 and like old fashioned barber shops scents.

Just experiment with ionones, rose chemicals (PEA, citronellol, geraniol, rose oxide), ylang ylang, linalool, linalyl acetate, anises aldehyde, clary sage or lavender, musk ketone, coumarin, benzoin, and sandalwood chemicals.

I have all these right now in front of me and it smells very close to J&J baby powder.

I read that heliotropin is also important, but I don't have that yet.

I think the talc itself is also a part of the scent profile...

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I've explored this rabbit hole. I settled with Lorenzo Villoresi Teint de Neige and Love's Baby Soft. I have the oil and EDT of Teint de Neige, and new and vintage formulations of Baby Soft.

I wear them layered often, and find I like the TdN oil on skin with Baby Soft sprayed on clothing. TdN is a tremendous powder bomb, so just a bit on the crook of my arm give me the balance I like best.

ETA: My apologies. I didn't realize what forum I was on!

I'll leave this post for what it's worth, and wish you best of luck doing a DIY version.
    Aaaaand, this isn't funny anymore.