Code of Conduct

Default Santal Spirit From Down Under - The Right Stuff?

Greetings sandalwood fans and others.

For those, like me, trying to keep up to speed with the status of santalum album planted, cultivated, and harvested in Australia [see Jordan River's excellent series he wrote on the subject in 2013], The Sandalwood Shop offers something I find interesting: Santal Spirit. Here's their description:

A homage to sandalwood itself, this fragrance created by internationally renowned perfumer Bertrand Duchaufour begins with floral notes of cardomom and ethereal sea breeze, moving to heart notes of coco milk and tonka bean, finishing strong with frankincense and vanilla backed up by musky amber tones complimenting the sweet creamy woody smell of genuine Quintis Sandalwood Album oil grown in the tropics of Australia.

* Please be advised that the 100ml Santal Spirit option is available while stocks last.
    Due to the Dangerous Goods act we are unable to post this product overseas.

Bummed about their shipping restriction. Anyone given this a spin?
    Wanna Shop? --> Buzier's Sales

MY TOP SHELF: Azzaro pH, Bel Ami, Blackbird, Blend 30, Cuba, Davidoff '84, Derby, Edition, Equipage, Jules, Knize Ten, Kouros, Leather Oud, Puredistance M, Santal Noble, Tribute Attar, Yatagan
    Currently wearing: Aramis by Aramis

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Santal Spirit From Down Under - The Right Stuff?

Shipping restrictions are annoying.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Institution TNBLUEMIKE's Avatar

Dang! Doesn't ship to Tennessee. Oh well.

C'mon Aussies! If'n I was down under, I'd be all over this... well maybe that 10ml option for a little more than a 20 spot to start.

^ totally off topic and inconsequential... I was born in Knoxville... St. Marys if I remember correctly. I'm truly a Billy AND from them hills!

MY TOP SHELF: Azzaro pH, Bel Ami, Blackbird, Blend 30, Cuba, Davidoff '84, Derby, Edition, Equipage, Jules, Knize Ten, Kouros, Leather Oud, Puredistance M, Santal Noble, Tribute Attar, Yatagan

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    C'mon Aussies! If'n I was down under, I'd be all over this... well maybe that 10ml option for a little more than a 20 spot to start.
    I dunno... that "ethereal sea breeze" accord gives me pause.

They have the quintus album in soap form. I'll bet they could ship that internationally.

Basenotes Institution TNBLUEMIKE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post

^ totally off topic and inconsequential... I was born in Knoxville... St. Marys if I remember correctly. I'm truly a Billy AND from them hills!
    Good to hear. My wife and three kids all born at St. Mary's except for me Ormskirk Hospital in Lancashire UK.I know how to sing Rocky Top now over my Everton Football chants.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I dunno... that "ethereal sea breeze" accord gives me pause.
    They have the quintus album in soap form. I'll bet they could ship that internationally.
    Hey there miss cook.bot! My eyes ran over that bit of the marketing shtick so fast and with disregard for a number of reasons I guess. First off, sandalwood -- it's all about the heart and base, mostly base. And then, topnotes -- topnotes! who needs stinkin' topnotes! Finally, 'floral notes of cardamom and ethereal sea breeze' doesn't make sense to me -- cardamom = spice / sea = marine, perhaps a little 'bilge<y>'... my imagination is limited, I don't see floral.

Soap! sold out - they'll alert me when they're ready to take some of my money

Quote Originally Posted by TNBLUEMIKE View Post
    Good to hear. My wife and three kids all born at St. Mary's except for me Ormskirk Hospital in Lancashire UK.I know how to sing Rocky Top now over my Everton Football chants.
    Good ole rocky top! Everton Football? I'll tune in when they next play dah Bears!

I own this scent, got it in a half price sale. It's unusual with that sea breeze note combined with coco milk, tonka and the sandalwood. There is also an incense note that I pick up in it. I could see the sea breeze note being a deal breaker for some if it amped up to much on their skin. Most of the time on me it's a softer supporting note but there are some weather conditions that I don't wear it in. I don't like "aqua" scents but I like Santal Spirit and Wood Sage & Sea Salt by Jo Malone. These are the only two scents that I enjoy with a "sea breeze" type note.

I buy several products from this company, it used to be known as Mount Romance but last year they changed to The Sandalwood Shop. The Sandalwood Album soap has been out of stock for awhile, the Sandalwood Album body butter is very good but the scent is on the softer side. They have two varieties of sandalwood - Santalum spicatum (Australian Sandalwood) as well as the Sandalwood Album. They are different in aroma.
    No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.

Thank you for that CuddleCat. I own and appreciate Santal Noble (MPG) and Santalum (Profumum Roma) most; Sandalo (Villoresi), next tier. I see you've tried Tam Dao edt & edp... How would you say Santal Spirit stacks up to Tam Dao w/r/t the sandalwood note, specifically, and the overall general scent. Thx!

I prefer the sandalwood note in Santal Spirit. The Tam Dao EDP and EDT scents were more of a mixed wood scent to me. One amped up a lot of rosewood with the sandalwood and the other one amped up a lot of cedarwood and rosewood with the sandalwood so I felt that the sandalwood note never shined in either scent. The EDT also had a sharpness to it that I get sometimes from Australian sandalwood (santalum spicatum). The EDP was smoother but it was still a mixed wood scent for me and not a sandalwood scent. I haven't tried any of your favourites so I'll make a note of them for when I'm going through a sampling phase. Santal Spirit isn't a straight up sandalwood scent with the other notes in the scent but they compliment but at the same time contrast with the sandalwood note so it somehow highlights and showcases the santalum album aroma.
    No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.

I buy regularly from Mt Romance Sandalwood / The Sandalwood Shop, as an Aussie, & having visited them back in 2008 in WA. Their sandalwood incense is the best I've ever used as a incense addict (pointing out now that I'm not affiliated with these guys in any way). I've tried ALL of their sandalwood perfumes and oils over the years. The sandalwood is definitely very Australian, but I like the higher pitched scent profile anyway. Maybe it's the patriot in me, not sure eh? Their sandalwood perfumes are lovely, but not exactly Serge Lutens. They do sell a mysore oil which is grown sustainably in WA, to my nose it is deeper than the Oz sandalwood, but I'm ageing some and it might be better in a few years. I like the fact that they employ local indigenous peoples in their business which seems good. If it's easy to buy, I'd get some, but if you are considering smell $ v's real $ , and have to go through hoops and exorbitant shipping fees to get it, you may be disappointed. As someone who is on the outer for perfume accessibility, I know what it's like to not be able to access fragrances easily. Personally I will never be without their incense or sandalwood splash, but if you can't get it readily it's not "All That".