Code of Conduct

Default Nice writeup on a number of materials and the notes they provide

Though the title reads terpenoids, it has nice little writeups for a lot of natural isolates. There are some synthetics mixed in here too. While I would not agree with every statement, there's a lot that's good, and of course, I might be the one who's wrong where disagreeing sometimes. Some may enjoy:

http://ctmmj.weebly.com/terpenoids.html

I think it likely is originally from this, as it is the first appearance on the Web having distinctive phrases I searched for. By Vasu K Brown, MD: https://issuu.com/nobodiesbusiness/d...oid_analysis__ (EDIT: No, with further search I found he totally plagiarized it, even asserting copyright in his name. See later post for the actual author.)

The top link is the easier-to-read one.

The same text has been lifted to a number of other places as well, including even a US Patent Application, without attribution.
    Last edited by Bill Roberts; 14th April 2021 at 05:18 PM.

Default Re: Nice writeup on a number of materials and the notes they provide

This is incredibly useful Bill.

I've always sought after a sort of reference guide that sorts aromachemicals used in perfumery by their chemical class... ex: terpenes, acetates, alcohols, esters, etc.
    I have a weak organic chemistry (and perfumery, for that matter) background, though, and am not sure how helpful it would be to sort aromachemicals in such a way?

Regardless, this will be my go to reference for terpenes/terpenoids. Thank you!

You're very welcome!

But sadly, despite saying it's about that, a lot of these are not terpenes or terpenoids, so it is not so useful if one wants to get that out of it.

I will try at a later time to note the distinctions.

Broadly, one can determine it in that if "ene" is in the name and it is C10H16 it is a "plain old" terpene, if it is C15H24 it is a sesquiterpene (a terpene-and-half), and if an oxygen substitutes for a hydrogen it is a terpenoid.

The C10 terpenes are rather volatile, the sesquiterpenes less so.

While odor, substantivity, stability, and solubility are what really matter, knowing if something is a terpene or alcohol, etc, can help to fill in the gaps. E.g., if knowing one eo is rich in terpenes and another has none, the first would be estimated as probably less stable.

It's now solved: the organoleptic writeups first appeared as follows in 2014, rather than in the above 2015 "work," and the literature research and writing credit for them, but not for all the cannabinoid text, goes to Seaf0ur. Among the literature he consulted was Fenaroli's Handbook of Flavor Ingredients: Volumes I and II. 3rd ed.

Getting started on the little project of categorizing the materials he listed. I will edit over time and eventually complete:

Anethole, butanoic acid, capsaicin, castoreum absolute, all the cinnamic compounds, all the thio or mercaptan materials, curcumene, cymene, all the acids, all the esters (ending in -ate), and aldehydes (everything ending in aldehyde or -al) are not terpenes or terpenoids although you could have a terpene derivative with such. I'll try to note if seeing any.

The bisabolols, cedrol,... are sesquiterpene alcohols.

Borneol....are saturated terpene derivative alcohols.

The bergamotenes, cadinenes, caryophyllenes, cedrenes... are sesquiterpenes.

Camphene, the carenes... are terpenes.

Camphor... are saturated terpene derivative ketones.

The carvones, .. are terpenoid ketones.

Carvacrol, citronellol.... are terpene alcohols.

EDIT: Actually there are too many, this is too big a project and I think the benefit/effort ratio is low. My suggestion is, if interested on any given compound, to apply the above principles for determination and if in doubt, websearching may answer it -- discount what cannabis-related sites have to say however as they often call many things terpenes which are not.
    Last edited by Bill Roberts; 14th April 2021 at 05:26 PM.

[duplicate post]