Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Recommendations Marine, Aquatic, Oceanic, Blue, Must try fragrances

Hello, looking for Aquatic, Blue must try fragrances, current avaiblable in markets and not hard to find.

I appreciate thoughts on performance, lasting..etc.

Thanks
    Bois du Portugal, Bleu de Chanel Parfum, Dior Homme Cologne, Guerlain L'Homme Ideal Cologne

Default Re: Recommendations Marine, Aquatic, Oceanic, Blue, Must try fragrances

I think aquatic fragrances are totally different from blue fragrances. They belong in different eras.

Personally I hate blue scents and am not too huge a fan of aquatics, but I would recommend Sel Marin as the benchmark aquatic. Bvlgari Aqva is a decent one on the cheaper side.
    Olfactory perception is the only sensory faculty that can be completely penetrated by cognition.

I strongly suggest trying the Polo Blue range - especially the EdT and EdP.

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    No love for Blue Gold or Deep Blue? I suggest those!
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Can't say I've ever tried either of them!
    Really wish I could try a bunch of things right now.

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

All the Polo Blue line is pretty good though. And performance on them is good, though I was a bit anosmic to the EDP. I couldn't detect it after application.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Can't go wrong with Cool Water/GIT as a blue frag. Ditto on Sel Marin being the aquatic benchmark.

Aquatic/Marine - Montale Sandflowers - a true smell of the dunes with salty seawater spray - great longevity and tenacity.

Blue - Mancera Aoud Blue Notes - Fruity and floral but with leather and woods underneath - unique, 'blue' smelling and the usual nuclear Mancera sillage and longevity.

I just tried the whole line a week or so ago. Gold Blend was my clear favorite and my selection for a new fizzy summer frag.

It's a more refined version (which is what I like about it) but Acqua Di Gio Profumo is a wonderful scent that still has an aquatic vibe.

I don't really know what's widely available in this category anymore. Two other favs were Burberry Summer and Bvlgari Aqva Marine, but have no idea if you can still find variants of those or not.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

+1 Polo EDP
    Lalique white perhaps for a different kind of freshie. Always in my rotation for spring summer
    Aqua with a herbal twist- Lanvin Oxygene or Issey Blue.
    Currently wearing: Worth pour Homme by Worth

Quote Originally Posted by 1234567890 View Post
    Hello, looking for Aquatic, Blue must try fragrances, current avaiblable in markets and not hard to find.

I appreciate thoughts on performance, lasting..etc.

Thanks
    To quibble about terms, aquatic / blue are a different type of fragrance from oceanic / marine. Blue/Aquatic can be the fragrance color, the bottle color blue, or a conceptual blue that just feels blue but is not blue. Oceanic/Marine fragrances smell like the ocean or ocean air environment and are different from blue/aquatics. Here are some ideas to try for both of these types, my top five from my collection:

BLUE/AQUATIC:
    (1). Nautica Voyage - the best cheapest buy and most purely blue aquatic on the market, imo. Smells great, is actually blue and can be had for not much more than $20!
    (2) Louis Vuitton Afternoon Swim - a most beautiful blue colored bottle that is light ethereal aquatic. Expensive, but worth it if you got money to spare.
    (3). A Lab On Fire Almost Transparent Blue - Is blue in name only but smells scintillatingly blue and aquatic - hard to find, but worth it.
    (4). Tommy Bahama St. Kitts. Bottle is blue and its the best TB blue scent I’ve tried although they are all a version of blue/ aquatic.
    (5). Gucci Guilty Cologne pour homme - Is blue green but smells sllghtly green for a blue aquatic. Easy to find and is worthy.

OCEAN/MARINE:
    (1) Hermès Voyage d’Hermès - JC Ellena’s marine classic is very clean for an oceanic fragrance - can’t go wrong with this one.
    (2). TDC Sel d’Vetiver - the most ocean air vetiver fragrance - always takes back to my time on the sea.
    (3). Heeley Sel Marin - very briney, barnicled wood ocean clean fragrance.
    (4). Nishane Boszporusz - ocean water as it encounters a busy harbor area. Very organic ocean scent.
    (5). Creed Erolfa - I have to pay respect to the first fragrance that ever inspired the ocean for me - still first class oceanic fragrance.
    (6). Aqua di Gio Profundo - Stuff is great. What a nice turn for Armani ADG.
    spring 2021: • orchid man • dirty ginger • sun song louis vuitton • strangers oliver • azemour les orangers • parasite • frapin l'humaniste • aesop hywyl • dirty lavender • tzora 2020 • smoke show • byredo la botte • fougere platine tom ford • dirty grass • orage • ombre nomad

Dependent

Profumo.

Can't stand the seaweedy vibe from Sel Marin but recently discovered Profumum Acqua di Sale. It seems their similar, but man, I can't stop sniffing Acqua di Sale and am actually considering a full bottle. It lasts all day too.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Zadig & Voltaire This is Him!
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

Seconding Mancera Aoud Blue Notes
    Currently wearing: Eau Mer by Pekji

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

FO'AH 11
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

Joop! Nightflight

Oud Minerale!

Guy Laroche Horizon, the number one of the genre.
    Currently wearing: Lui by Mazzolari

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

We have some great recommendations here and I read the thread thus far to avoid repeating them.

Kenzo pour Homme - This smells like just after the rain with a sharp ozonic ocean accord, has some florals (including a hidden rose), and dry woods. Very potent for an aquatic and super unique. Covers all parameters mentioned.
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader

Cool water. The game changer in the nineties and still in production.
    Sel de Vetiver. A more artistic interpretation of „the Beach“. Easy to wear.

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaLeon View Post
    I think aquatic fragrances are totally different from blue fragrances. They belong in different eras.

Personally I hate blue scents and am not too huge a fan of aquatics, but I would recommend Sel Marin as the benchmark aquatic. Bvlgari Aqva is a decent one on the cheaper side.
    +1

"Blue" these days tends to mean that harsh fake wood/fake incense "amberwood" chemical nonsense. I'm not a fan.

My favorite aquatic is probably Millésime Impérial, though I do get an aquatic vibe from Aqua Celestia which I like a lot. That one is less traditional aquatic though. It's more of a floral fun sort of scent: lime, fresh mint, blackcurrant, mimosa, musk, etc. I'm a big fan of Aqua Universalis, which is the least aquatic of the three. It's more of a citrus/floral with a clean musky undertone. It's excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I need to try the EDP at some point. Honestly, OP, you can't go wrong by starting with Polo Blue.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Boy Chanel
    Endymion
    Royal Oud
    Rose 31
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Reflection Man
    Green Irish Tweed
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Interlude Man
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Aqua Universalis
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Pomelo Paradis
    Amouage Silver Man
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    "Live in the moment. Never count on longevity." --Yeasayer
    Currently wearing: Silver Cologne by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by TheAntagonist View Post
    Can't go wrong with Cool Water/GIT as a blue frag. Ditto on Sel Marin being the aquatic benchmark.
    Sel Marin would work. I would think Creed Erolfa would be another.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Nishane Ege is a perfect aquatic.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

All the Polo Blue line is pretty good though. And performance on them is good, though I was a bit anosmic to the EDP. I couldn't detect it after application.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diva D View Post
    I just tried the whole line a week or so ago. Gold Blend was my clear favorite and my selection for a new fizzy summer frag.
    I have performance issues with Polo Blue EdP as well. Literally it vanishes not long after spraying and keeps reappearing every now and then. Very strange and clearly it's causing anosmia.

Gold Blend apparently has an ambrox base so I'm on the fence now as to whether I should even bother trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by ripjean View Post
    Oud Minerale!
    This is next on my 'to try' list. Looking forward to it but somehow trying not to get my hopes high.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    "Blue" these days tends to mean that harsh fake wood/fake incense "amberwood" chemical nonsense. I'm not a fan.

I need to try the EDP at some point. Honestly, OP, you can't go wrong by starting with Polo Blue.
    I agree on 'blue' fragrances and the amberwood gravy train. Fortunately most of the Polo Blue line is a different take on the calone theme. Fresh and pleasant but all in all nothing particularly new.

Arquiste Sydney Rock Pool is the best marine/beachy/aquatic scent I've ever tried. Gorgeous stuff.

Basenotes Institution

Bleu de Chanel. Edt or Edp.

Many great recommendations, also adding Hugh Parsons Blue and Periplo by l'Erbolario to a possible (re) testing list

Basenotes Plus

Le Monarque II
    Make It Happen!

Current Top 10 Of All Time
    1.Encens Mythique d’Orient
    2.L’Heure Perdue XI
    3.Le Monarque II/Sultanate Of Oman/Pierre de Velay No. 1/Black Cashmere/Pearl Moon/Semi Bespoke 21/Parfum Royale No.1
    4.Candy Aoud/(Dior) Vetiver/Santal Noir/Great Britain/Correspondence/Dasman/Symphonium/Al-Khatt/Nuit de Bekelite/Richwood
    5.Les Sables Roses/Mon Patchouly/1996/EL/Vision In A Dream Psychedelic/Argentium Halo De Lune/Torc/FDB Velvet Amber
    6.L’Heure Mysterieuse XII/Au Hasard/#laislablanca/ Luci Ed Ombre/Tabac Rose/Russian Tea/Oud & Ambre/Oud & Pink
    7.Opus VI/Prolixe/Jump Up & Kiss Me Hedonistic/Alseif
    8.Le Monarque III/V/MAAI/Malesia/Absolue Pour le Soir/Ganymede
    9.Fetish Parfum Pour Homme/Dhajala
    10.Cuir Intense

Perhaps I have missed it, but has anyone commented on the performance of Sel Marin? I'd love to know how it lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Varanis Ridari View Post
    We have some great recommendations here and I read the thread thus far to avoid repeating them.

Kenzo pour Homme - This smells like just after the rain with a sharp ozonic ocean accord, has some florals (including a hidden rose), and dry woods. Very potent for an aquatic and super unique. Covers all parameters mentioned.
    EdT or EdP and is this a vintage chaser?