Code of Conduct

Question Recommendation for fresh amber/oriental (without citrus, ginger, vetiver, etc.)

I’ve been wearing Prada L’Homme often. I’d describe Prada L’Homme’s structure as floral + spicy + sweet. I like each of these elements, and I’d like to find another fragrance that brings them together:

- Floral: Iris is a listed note, which I find cooling, herbal, and rooty. I get a similar vibe from lavender, violet, and carrot.
    - Spicy: Cardamom is not a listed note, but I detect a warm spice like cardamom, nutmeg, or coriander.
    - Sweet: Amber is a listed note, and I get a sweetness that gently alludes to vanilla or tonka bean.

Chanel Égoïste (rose/coriander/vanilla), Dior Ambre Nuit (rose/amber), and Serge Lutens Gris Clair (lavender/iris/amber/tonka) approximately follow this structure, but I’d like to find something suitable for year-round wear, and I find these heavy to wear in summer heat (~90°F, 32°C).

I’d like to avoid citrus (lime, lemon, bergamot, orange, grapefruit), but I’m open to neroli: It’s a listed note in Prada L’Homme, but it doesn’t dominate the fragrance. I don’t get household cleaner vibes from neroli.

I’d also like to avoid vetiver, ginger, mint, juniper, pine, apple, pear, saffron, cumin, honey, and ambroxan.

Default Re: Recommendation for fresh amber/oriental (without citrus, ginger, vetiver, etc.)

That is a difficult one.
    I am thinking of Eau Duelle edt by Diptyque (edp is much heavier although very nice). I find it to be a nice versatile vanilla, not fresh though...
    or maybe narcisso rodriguez for him (again, not fresh. But freshies are not my specialty especially without ginger, citruses etc...)

Good look with your search

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Recommendation for fresh amber/oriental (without citrus, ginger, vetiver, etc.)

Amber Fever by Mancera perhaps
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaFedec View Post
    That is a difficult one.
    I am thinking of Eau Duelle edt by Diptyque (edp is much heavier although very nice). I find it to be a nice versatile vanilla, not fresh though...
    I agree this is quite a restrictive set of requirements, but I am thinking about it.

Playing devil's advocate here, but Eau Duelle is packed full of ambrox which the OP specifically stated is a no-go.

Quote Originally Posted by smockle View Post
    I’ve been wearing Prada L’Homme often. I’d describe Prada L’Homme’s structure as floral + spicy + sweet. I like each of these elements, and I’d like to find another fragrance that brings them together:

- Floral: Iris is a listed note, which I find cooling, herbal, and rooty. I get a similar vibe from lavender, violet, and carrot.
    - Spicy: Cardamom is not a listed note, but I detect a warm spice like cardamom, nutmeg, or coriander.
    - Sweet: Amber is a listed note, and I get a sweetness that gently alludes to vanilla or tonka bean.

Chanel Égoïste (rose/coriander/vanilla), Dior Ambre Nuit (rose/amber), and Serge Lutens Gris Clair (lavender/iris/amber/tonka) approximately follow this structure, but I’d like to find something suitable for year-round wear, and I find these heavy to wear in summer heat (~90°F, 32°C).

I’d like to avoid citrus (lime, lemon, bergamot, orange, grapefruit), but I’m open to neroli: It’s a listed note in Prada L’Homme, but it doesn’t dominate the fragrance. I don’t get household cleaner vibes from neroli.

I’d also like to avoid vetiver, ginger, mint, juniper, pine, apple, pear, saffron, cumin, honey, and ambroxan.
    Just had another though... how does Amyris Homme sound?

Notes include: Rosemary, Mandarin on top. Elemi balsam, Coconut, Coffee, Iris, Milk chocolate in the heart. Tonka bean, Oud in the base.

The opening is fresh but not overly herbaceous. The heart isn't as chocolatey as they say, but I do get a light and very balanced iris. And I detect no oud in the base.

You may also want to take a look at Amyris Homme Extrait.

Eau Duelle edt by Diptyque…or maybe narcisso rodriguez for him
    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Amber Fever by Mancera perhaps
    Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    how does Amyris Homme sound?…You may also want to take a look at Amyris Homme Extrait.
    Thanks for the suggestions, ImaFedec, hednic, and rum! I have samples Narciso Rodriguez for Him (EDT) and Amyris Homme (EDT) that I’ll revisit in light of your comments, as well as checking out Eau Duelle, Amber Fever, and Amyris Homme Extrait.

Quote Originally Posted by smockle View Post
    I have samples Narciso Rodriguez for Him (EDT) and Amyris Homme (EDT) that I’ll revisit in light of your comments
    Testing on paper, Narciso Rodriguez for Him EDT is damp and green, with a hint of petrichor or gasoline. I’ll test on skin and give it time to develop, but I think I’m looking for something warmer, spicier, and sweeter.

Testing on paper, Amyris Homme EDT is closer to what I’m looking for. I’m picking up a creamy/lactonic note that smooths the bright, herbal opening, but I wonder if that would become cloying in high heat; I’ll test on skin. I’d be interested in something less sweet.

I appreciate the recommendations! This is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Playing devil's advocate here, but Eau Duelle is packed full of ambrox which the OP specifically stated is a no-go.
    Completely forgot the link between ambroxan (what OP mentioned) and the note of Ambergris listed in fragrantica ^^ still bit unsure how this really smells for me Eau Duelle edt simply is a lovely Vanilla - Woods with hint of fresh spiceness

Another one that slipped into my mind here would maybe be 1725 casanova? One of my all time favourite. Bare with me, it does list citruses and grapefruit in the opening BUT i find them mild and they fade aways rather quickly to leave a delightful powdery lavender with some Amber/vanilla and a mix of anis/licorice for an unique aspect. Perfect signature sent all year round

Agonist Arctic Jade (fresh/warm).
    Currently wearing: Lui by Mazzolari

Basenotes Institution

Jovan Secret Amber

Basenotes Institution

Golden Dallah by Xerjoff is another one.

Also adding Ambre Noble by Zara among the very inexpensive options, YSL Opium Eau d'Orient, LM Black Oud, l'Occitane Ambre & Santal, Guerlain Heritage, Franck Boclet Amber among the costlier and/or more limited availability options

1725 casanova
    Quote Originally Posted by Darvant View Post
    Agonist Arctic Jade
    Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Jovan Secret Amber [&] Golden Dallah by Xerjoff
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Ambre Noble by Zara, YSL Opium Eau d'Orient, LM Black Oud, l'Occitane Ambre & Santal, Guerlain Heritage, Franck Boclet Amber
    Thanks for the additional recommendations, ImaFedec, Darvant, sjg3839, and Ken_Russell! I’ll try to get my nose on these.

Perhaps Hermessence Ambre Narguille - it's an amber scent with a strong oriental accord.

Also Rogue Perfumery Derviche is worth looking at as well.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed