Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Does this exist? Imagine TdH, but soapy instead of cedar & vetiver

The other day, I was wearing Terre d'Hermes EDT and, for whatever reason, it smelled soapy - for just a moment. It's as if my nose ignored the woods for a second or two, and instead, I'd swear I smelled all of that big citrus over a warm clean musk.

I'm not looking for a replacement for TdH. I own TdH and TdH Parfum. Love 'em both. I'm just wondering if there's a scent that smells like what you'd get if Hermes made a TdH Musk flanker, or something along those lines.

Thoughts?
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Boy Chanel
    Endymion
    Royal Oud
    Rose 31
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Reflection Man
    Green Irish Tweed
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Interlude Man
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Aqua Universalis
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Pomelo Paradis
    Amouage Silver Man
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    "Live in the moment. Never count on longevity." --Yeasayer

Blog Entries

Default Re: Does this exist? Imagine TdH, but soapy instead of cedar & vetiver

I think Beckham Homme maybe. Of course it smells cheaper because it's a cheap celeb frag, but they do share similarities. I wouldn't say it smells soapy, but it definitely smells a lot more fresh.

It's also done by a good perfumer, (I forgot who) which you can tell in the composition. Kinda like how Nautica Voyage proves that a good perfumer can make miracles happen. Beckham Homme must've had even less of a budget, because it pretty much went right to drugstores at under $20 a bottle, whereas Voyage started out in department stores. When a perfumer's name is attached to a frag and easily accessible to find this info online, it affects their reputation so much more. I think given the budget, Beckham Homme is fantastic. But I'm not trying to justify it because of this, Beckham Homme really is similar to TdH, just read some reviews.
    All Time Top 10: Fahrenheit, Fahrenheit Absolute, Corduroy, Seduction in Black, Itasca, Arpege pH, Burberry London, Spark Seduction, Paul Smith Man, Eau des Baux

Blog Entries

I've tried Beckham Homme. I picked it up in a swap years ago and quickly got rid of it. It smelled like TdH without the depth. I wasn't a fan.

I'm specifically looking for a big citrus over a soapy / clean-musky base.
    Castile
    Boy Chanel
    Endymion
    Royal Oud
    Rose 31
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Reflection Man
    Green Irish Tweed
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Interlude Man
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Aqua Universalis
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Pomelo Paradis
    Amouage Silver Man
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    The other day, I was wearing Terre d'Hermes EDT and, for whatever reason, it smelled soapy - for just a moment. It's as if my nose ignored the woods for a second or two, and instead, I'd swear I smelled all of that big citrus over a warm clean musk.

I'm not looking for a replacement for TdH. I own TdH and TdH Parfum. Love 'em both. I'm just wondering if there's a scent that smells like what you'd get if Hermes made a TdH Musk flanker, or something along those lines.

Thoughts?
    I read your thread title and then the rest of your post. All I could think of throughout was the current Hermes Equipage and Equipage Geranium. I could be wrong, but between them you definitely have a soapy-chypre-fougere (if there is such a thing), less the orange & flint accord, cedar and vetiver that you'd find in TdH. Not sure if that's what you are looking for as they are woodier, spicier and have a sweet amber-like base.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I read your thread title and then the rest of your post. All I could think of throughout was the current Hermes Equipage and Equipage Geranium. I could be wrong, but between them you definitely have a soapy-chypre-fougere (if there is such a thing), less the orange & flint accord, cedar and vetiver that you'd find in TdH. Not sure if that's what you are looking for as they are woodier, spicier and have a sweet amber-like base.
    Are you familiar with Prada L'Homme and Chanel Les Exclusifs Eau De Cologne? They both use a somewhat similar warm clean musk. For whatever reason, for just a moment while wearing Terre d'Hermes, I'd swear all I smelled was that TdH huge citrus over a similar fatty yet clean musk. Big citrus over a big round yet clean musk.

Sigh... it's probably my white whale. What I really want is a big rich citrus, similar to the citrus in Bergamot 22, Bergamote Soleil, or TdH, married to a clean musky base. Minimalist rather than a cacophony of notes, but rich nonetheless. Actually, Fahrenheit Cologne kind of sort of comes close, except the citrus isn't quite as big as I'm looking for and the base is kind of thin (not to mention faux-wood synthetic).
    Castile
    Boy Chanel
    Endymion
    Royal Oud
    Rose 31
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Reflection Man
    Green Irish Tweed
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Interlude Man
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Aqua Universalis
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Pomelo Paradis
    Amouage Silver Man
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

I’m probably wayyyy off here, but have you tried Narciso Rodriguez Bleu Noir or Bleu Noir Parfum? For some reason, those remind me of what you’re describing.

If musky orange is your poison, then I'd suggest trying Hugo Boss in Motion. Plenty of oranges and musk in the mix. I associate it more with an orange creamsickle than soap though.

Maybe also to a certain extent, its cheapie counterparts (all TDH inspired) like Yardley Citrus & Wood, Zara Norrland, Ginepro Nero by l'Erbolario.
    However all of these with an extra hint of cedar, piney, soapy, resinous, patchouli and/or spicy notes compared to the regular TDH formulation.

Sillage Monster

I suggest Diptyque Eau des Sens. It's so soapy that I got it in bar soap too. Its orange brings Terre d'Hermes to mind and it wears light like a cologne.

Top: Orange blossom, bitter orange
    Mid: Juniper berry
    Base: Patchouli, angelica
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.

Sillage Monster

Delete
    Last edited by Trilby Lark; 16th April 2021 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Duplicate post
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.

Frequently mentioned alongside TdH is Guerlain's Homme L'Eau Boisée - which in fact has a discreet clean musk note in the drydown.

Davidoff Horizon
    Narciso Bleu Noir and all flankers
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    I suggest Diptyque Eau des Sens. It's so soapy that I got it in bar soap too. Its orange brings Terre d'Hermes to mind and it wears light like a cologne.
    Eau De Sens is excellent. It's on my list of maybes, though it's not what I'm looking for here because it's not a big citrus. It has a bit of citrus, but it's more about orange blossom, angelica and juniper berries. It sure is good though.

HHhhmmmmm... do people consider things like neroli and orange blossom to be citrus? They smell floral to me (I love 'em both though!)
    Castile
    Boy Chanel
    Endymion
    Royal Oud
    Rose 31
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Reflection Man
    Green Irish Tweed
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Interlude Man
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Aqua Universalis
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Pomelo Paradis
    Amouage Silver Man
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    Frequently mentioned alongside TdH is Guerlain's Homme L'Eau Boisée - which in fact has a discreet clean musk note in the drydown.
    I would say this is a good option as well, with lime instead of orange.

I’d also add Jean Couturier Coriandre, a cool, green herbal chypre with a musky base. It doesn’t have the TdH dirty orange per se, but the prominent coriander note combined with citrus gives it a somewhat similar dirty feel, and there’s something kind of flinty in there as well. But it’s also very soft and soapy in the base. Plus, it’s dirt cheap.
    “I have often observed that [scents] cause an alteration in me and work upon my spirits according to their several virtues; which makes me approve of what is said, that the use of incense and perfumes in churches, so ancient and so universally received in all nations and religions, was intended to cheer us, and to rouse and purify the senses, the better to fit us for contemplation” - Montaigne
    Currently wearing: Greyland by Montale

I'd like to add Davidoff Adventure as one to check out as well. It's a rugged orange fragrance that's a bit easier to wear than TdH IMO.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

I'm just wondering if there's a scent that smells like what you'd get if Hermes made a TdH Musk flanker, or something along those lines.

Thoughts?
    You always come up with interesting recommend/does it exist type threads. I've been pondering this and keep thinking of Petit Matin, but know you're already a fan of it and would have mentioned it, so my brain is obviously going in a different direction. If you don't mind humoring my own curiosity, how would you explain how what you're looking differs from Petit Matin?

When I think TdH, I think warm orange, pepper, and woods. Very much another play on a theme JC Ellena has done a number of times, all really well in my book. So Petit Matin - definitely lacking what smells like the Ellena orange to me, and not really at all peppery. But it's my go-to for warm, clean musk with some woods and citrus. But not really soapy, either. Maybe just a little. Have you tried Voyage d'Hermes? I don't think it would really fit the bill of what you're looking for, but you might enjoy it all the same.

I think the rec of the Narciso Rodriguez Bleu Noir is probably pretty close to my best guess. Similar to TdH with a bunch of that NR musk in the base. Not really what I'd consider soapy, but can see how others might. It's also been years since I've smelled it.
    Currently wearing: Blond by Hendley Perfumes

Cant think of anything exactly like that. For a soapy Vetiver there’s always Creed Original Vetiver, and for that TDH orange note.. there’s Declaration. Maybe there’s a Declaration flanker that’s soapy/musk? Likely won’t have Vetiver though.

Basenotes Plus

Chanel 1957
    Make It Happen!

Current Top 10 Of All Time
    1.Encens Mythique d’Orient
    2.L’Heure Perdue XI
    3.Le Monarque II/Sultanate Of Oman/Pierre de Velay No. 1/Black Cashmere/Pearl Moon/Semi Bespoke 21/Parfum Royale No.1
    4.Candy Aoud/(Dior) Vetiver/Santal Noir/Great Britain/Correspondence/Dasman/Symphonium/Al-Khatt/Nuit de Bekelite/Richwood
    5.Les Sables Roses/Mon Patchouly/1996/EL/Vision In A Dream Psychedelic/Argentium Halo De Lune/Torc/FDB Velvet Amber
    6.L’Heure Mysterieuse XII/Au Hasard/#laislablanca/ Luci Ed Ombre/Tabac Rose/Russian Tea/Oud & Ambre/Oud & Pink
    7.Opus VI/Prolixe/Jump Up & Kiss Me Hedonistic/Alseif
    8.Le Monarque III/V/MAAI/Malesia/Absolue Pour le Soir/Ganymede
    9.Fetish Parfum Pour Homme/Dhajala
    10.Cuir Intense

The ETF version.....
    My Top '12':

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco/Aoud Vanille
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - Initio: Side Effect
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - Vermeil: Pour Homme

A couple to consider:

Comme des Garcons Vettiveru, which retains cedar and vetiver but subs a big, clean musk for the patchouli and geosmin in TdH
    Bulgari Pour Homme and Pour Homme Extreme, which add a tea note but subtract much of the wood of TdH (and the patch) in favor of musk

Toward Minimalism:
    Guerlain Vetiver, Richard James Savile Row, Terre d'Hermes EDT, Bleu de Chanel EDT, Azzaro Pour Homme, Roger & Gallet Open, Dunhill for Men (1934), Prada Luna Rossa Carbon, Lubin Itasca

Blog Entries

Instead of cedar and vetiver folks are recommending cedar and lots of vetiver?

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    You always come up with interesting recommend/does it exist type threads. I've been pondering this and keep thinking of Petit Matin, but know you're already a fan of it and would have mentioned it, so my brain is obviously going in a different direction. If you don't mind humoring my own curiosity, how would you explain how what you're looking differs from Petit Matin?
    The ambergris in the base of Petit Matin goes kind of funky on me sometimes. Petit Matin is definitely in the ballpark, though I'd love to find something even less floral and more citrus (but if I could buy Petit Matin with a different ambergris I'd be like "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!"). I do like Petit Matin a lot.

I'm not just looking for a scent that HAS citrus. I'm looking for a scent where citrus is the star of the show, but where it's married to a clean musk rather than woods. Dior Homme Cologne would be a home run if the base was actually musk. I can't understand why they labelled that as musk. It's just a thin cheap fake wood aroma chemical used in so many summery scents over the past 20 years.

Imagine Zegna Sicilian Mandarin, but strip away the petitgrain & moss, replacing them with the musk from Prada L'Homme (but not the iris, woods & florals) or the musk from Chanel Eau De Cologne (minus the herbal "eau de cologne" aspects). Imagine the big citrus from Acqua Viva but married to a warm clean musk instead of woods.

This will probably be way too specific of a reference, but... have you ever worn Chanel AHS Cologne and noticed the musk? I know AHSC features woods too but I'm not talking about that. Buried deep within AHSC is a really good musk. It took me a while to notice it, but when I did, I kept thinking "Wowza! I want more of that!" It's warm, big and round, yet airy and clean. It might be the same musk Chanel uses in their Les Exclusifs Eau De Cologne. There's also a wonderful musk note buried deep in Original Vetiver and Virgin Island Water - not the vetiver, not the woods, not the ambergris... there's also a musk that's really warm and round. Somebody here once described it as fatty, and I can see what he meant. It has a bigness and roundness that wows me every time I notice it in a scent. I'd love some perfumer to make it more of an emphasis. Take AHSC, minus the spices woods and resins... just the citrus and that glorious musk. I'd love to smell that.
    Castile
    Boy Chanel
    Endymion
    Royal Oud
    Rose 31
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Reflection Man
    Green Irish Tweed
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Interlude Man
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Aqua Universalis
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Pomelo Paradis
    Amouage Silver Man
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

Have you tried Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta?

It's not really a soapy fragrance, but has that sort of Ellena signature citrus notes on top (like TdH does) and also contains vetiver and ceder - but not as prominent as in TdH.
    It's a Colonia style flanker and probably one of the better ones.

It just came to my mind when reading your first post - that's why I mentioned it.

Btw I personally prefer the Eau Tres Fraiche flanker over the original TdH.

Common Lackey

HHhhmmmmm... do people consider things like neroli and orange blossom to be citrus?
    Oh hell no. I adore a big fat citrus, and I absolutely detest neroli and orange blossom.

Quote Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
    Have you tried Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta?
    +1 This was my first thought.

Thoughts?
    Let me introduce you NuParfums - Bronze Age - a lighter, muskier, soapier and a bit sweeter Terre d'Hermes.
    Btw, for me Terre d'Hermes is not soapy.

Top: Grapefruit, Bergamot, Rose, Pink Pepper;
    Heart: Cedarwood, Patchouli, Vetiver, Fir Basalm;
    Base: Vanilla, Amber, Musk, Moss.

Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

Instead of cedar and vetiver folks are recommending cedar and lots of vetiver?

The ambergris in the base of Petit Matin goes kind of funky on me sometimes. Petit Matin is definitely in the ballpark, though I'd love to find something even less floral and more citrus (but if I could buy Petit Matin with a different ambergris I'd be like "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!"). I do like Petit Matin a lot.

I'm not just looking for a scent that HAS citrus. I'm looking for a scent where citrus is the star of the show, but where it's married to a clean musk rather than woods. Dior Homme Cologne would be a home run if the base was actually musk. I can't understand why they labelled that as musk. It's just a thin cheap fake wood aroma chemical used in so many summery scents over the past 20 years.

Imagine Zegna Sicilian Mandarin, but strip away the petitgrain & moss, replacing them with the musk from Prada L'Homme (but not the iris, woods & florals) or the musk from Chanel Eau De Cologne (minus the herbal "eau de cologne" aspects). Imagine the big citrus from Acqua Viva but married to a warm clean musk instead of woods.

This will probably be way too specific of a reference, but... have you ever worn Chanel AHS Cologne and noticed the musk? I know AHSC features woods too but I'm not talking about that. Buried deep within AHSC is a really good musk. It took me a while to notice it, but when I did, I kept thinking "Wowza! I want more of that!" It's warm, big and round, yet airy and clean. It might be the same musk Chanel uses in their Les Exclusifs Eau De Cologne. There's also a wonderful musk note buried deep in Original Vetiver and Virgin Island Water - not the vetiver, not the woods, not the ambergris... there's also a musk that's really warm and round. Somebody here once described it as fatty, and I can see what he meant. It has a bigness and roundness that wows me every time I notice it in a scent. I'd love some perfumer to make it more of an emphasis. Take AHSC, minus the spices woods and resins... just the citrus and that glorious musk. I'd love to smell that.
    Haha, fair enough. I will just say that I get no vetiver from Bulgari and that the musk far outpaces the cedar in Vettiveru, but your description here gives a better idea of what you're talking about.

I see you're a Pomelo Paradis fan. Have you tried Bergamote Soleil, and/or are the woods in that too prominent?

Toward Minimalism:
    Guerlain Vetiver, Richard James Savile Row, Terre d'Hermes EDT, Bleu de Chanel EDT, Azzaro Pour Homme, Roger & Gallet Open, Dunhill for Men (1934), Prada Luna Rossa Carbon, Lubin Itasca

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    Guerlain's Homme L'Eau Boisée
    Another one for this to fill the need requested.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TRBeck View Post
    I see you're a Pomelo Paradis fan. Have you tried Bergamote Soleil, and/or are the woods in that too prominent?
    They are - and worse, they're too synthetic. It's a bummer because the bergamot in Bergamote Soleil is superb. I own a 30ml bottle. I love that opening so much, but the base is scratchy and synthetic. I feel similarly about Bergamot 22 by Le Labo. FANTASTIC bergamot, but once it fades you're left with a synth/faux-wood that isn't particularly good on its own, and since it outlasts the bergamot you end up with it on its own. Yuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Emanuel76 View Post
    Let me introduce you NuParfums - Bronze Age - a lighter, muskier, soapier and a bit sweeter Terre d'Hermes.

Top: Grapefruit, Bergamot, Rose, Pink Pepper;
    Heart: Cedarwood, Patchouli, Vetiver, Fir Basalm;
    Base: Vanilla, Amber, Musk, Moss.

Sounds like I need to sample this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Emanuel76 View Post
    Btw, for me Terre d'Hermes is not soapy.
    It's not for me either. I have no idea why, for just a moment, I smelled something soapy while wearing it. It doesn't smell particularly earthy to me either though. It smells abstract in a wonderful way.
    Castile
    Boy Chanel
    Endymion
    Royal Oud
    Rose 31
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Reflection Man
    Green Irish Tweed
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Interlude Man
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Aqua Universalis
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Pomelo Paradis
    Amouage Silver Man
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

A Prada version of Terre D’Hermès. That would be interesting.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.
    Currently wearing: Rochas Man by Rochas

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    A Prada version of Terre D’Hermès. That would be interesting.
    Not necessarily a Prada version. I'm only talking about the musk they use in Prada L'Homme, but it's used in plenty of other scents. I just used that scent as a reference point.

Then again... I haven't had the chance to sample Infusion De Mandarine, but I'd bet they made the orange candy-ish and added lots of iris & semi-synth fizziness, which isn't what I'm looking for at all.
    Castile
    Boy Chanel
    Endymion
    Royal Oud
    Rose 31
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Reflection Man
    Green Irish Tweed
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Interlude Man