Code of Conduct

Default Is sniffing glue so bad? Comme des Garçons Eau de Parfum (2011)

Dear Perfume Lovers,

Just wanted to share that indeed, Comme des Garçons Eau de Parfum is a precious, curious little perfume that smells quite good and is quite addictive. Purchased today on a whim-I thought it was discontinued, as it wasn't available on their website a few months ago, and Luckyscent does not currently stock it. What a nice surprise! I had a big smile on my face behind my mask as I was in the subway, thoroughly enjoying its top notes and noticing people not knowing what to make of the smell. I was planning to get either 2 or Eau de Parfum depending in the store's stock (I went to Dover Street Market, NYC), and ended up with the latter.

However, as some other fans of this particular work have stated elsewhere, I do *not* find it "challenging" at all to wear, and would advise for you to try it if you can, as perhaps you will enjoy it as well? It is not as extreme as the official notes make it to be. A dismissive review on youtube was hard to watch, as they judged the scent very superficially, based on what it is supposed to smell like, rather than how nice it really is-more or less damning it with faint praise. Of course, it is not for everyone, and perhaps not for those three gentlemen, which is fine. It is however not a nasty or harsh smell; just quite a bit uncommon, really avantgarde, challenging our brains and curiosity. It is not a freshie-nothing, or just a dull scent. Deep, complex, though not very heavy (be aware the first sprays are rather strong, even though the smell is quite pleasing.) Super versatile, as it's not too weak nor too heavy for anything, but definitely not boring, and quite noticeable to yourself and others (projection is decent, though it is obviously not an 80s sort of fragrance.)

I am going to wear it tomorrow again, to see how it develops throughout a full day. I have only used it for about 9 hours, but did spray again to experience the bright, cheerful, intense top notes I love so much.

I see this one does not get much appreciation, and since it may be discontinued any day, if you are into this type of perfumes I would suggest for you to check it out if you have not already. It is not L'Heure Bleue, but then again, it never pretended to be. It is quirky, fun, and comes in that perfectly misshapen bottle, wonderfully packaged for your own pleasure. It is really not nearly as challenging as Secretions Magnifiques-and that one has many fans of its own. Lie and Maisondieu created something very interesting and wearable here.

Guess I relate to much to this perfume's description on the CdG website:

"We can find beautiful things without consciousness. A fragrance that couldn’t exist in a bottle that shouldn’t exist. What qualifies anything for the right to exist? Who has the right to decide what should be rejected? Purposely taking a bottle that has been disqualified from existence and purposefully giving it its right to exist." I myself am not shaped in the way society wishes I was, but have learned to love myself as I am, having no need to fit anymore, finding my own beauty within, even if it may not ever be appreciated by most.

In time, I hope to get 2 and White as well. I already have and love Sequoia, Kyoto, Cinnamon, and the much generally disliked (and discontinued) 8 88, which I also enjoy a lot.

Anyone has sniffed and loved-or hated!-this Eau de Parfum before? Stay safe, and happy sniffing to all. ��
    Currently wearing: JHL by Aramis

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Is sniffing glue so bad? Comme des Garçons Eau de Parfum (2011)

Quote Originally Posted by starace View Post

However, as some other fans of this particular work have stated elsewhere, I do *not* find it "challenging" at all to wear
    When I tried it, I didn't either.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Completely agree. It brings back wonderful memories of my care-free childhood in the countryside – the smell of haystacks in the warm June evenings.
    Currently wearing: Tempo by Diptyque

It's been a while since I owned it - but clove clove clove. That's all I can remember.
    Currently wearing: Sables by Annick Goutal

I enjoyed it as well. Quirky and interesting but wearable. One of my favorite CDG.

cacio

"So good, what a wonderful scent" (my words out loud as I sniffed it a few hours back).

No regrets whatsoever about buying this beauty, 2 days after. My only concern is that it ultimately may be discontinued, or rebottled. This one works best in its original bottle and packaging, for the whole concept to work. But what is most striking is that it is a beautiful perfume, despite the "flaws" or "not being supposed to exist." It just is what it is, its loveliness hidden away by elements that are mostly not supposed to work. I am wearing it a lot, with abandon, as it's so fascinating and special, but will have to be careful about using it if it becomes discontinued.

Compared to the named perfumes (2 Man, Wonderwood, Blackpepper, Black, White, Incense series, Red series, etc.) this gets very, very little attention (the name it doesn't have does not help), and I am leaning to think it was never designed to be well-known, despite it being a pretty great perfume and utterly wearable (rather than a mere conceptual artwork for a modern art museum.) Designed to be a hidden gem?

May it live for many more years to come, even if it never becomes well-known or widely appreciated, even within CdG's selections.

Thanks so much for your thoughts. Glad to know some of you like or love it, or at least appreciate its place among CdG's perfumes.

Basenotes Plus

To clarify, you are talking about this one right?

Comme des Garçons Eau de Parfum / "A New Perfume" by Comme des Garçons

"A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    To clarify, you are talking about this one right?

Comme des Garçons Eau de Parfum / "A New Perfume" by Comme des Garçons

Yes indeed, Mr. mikeperez23. The original fragrance is named the same (Comme des Garçons Eau de Parfum). But the one I am addressing is the one with the weird-shaped bottle that came later, and is referred to online as "A New Parfum", or Comme des Garçons 2011. It is even difficult to find information about it online because of too many internet search engine false results-so even the no-name is rather odd. The first fragrance is much more better known to be sure, but I am referring to the one in your link.

Not a fan of this one. Clove? Haystacks? It smells like brown packaging tape.

As a work of art - sure, it’s interesting. But as a personal fragrance? Hard pass for me.

The brown packing tape accord is to me not nose-disturbing, because it is well blended with everything else. It is quite unique, and I still love it after almost a week. Certainly wouldn't want to be without it moving forwards, and still crossing my fingers it remains in production. If it was all about tape and glue, I would be certain to dislike it.

I love classic perfumery as well, and if one cannot tolerate anything but that style, I can imagine Eau de Parfum would be hard to love. By design, I believe it is not meant for utter mass appeal. I have to reiterate, though, it is absolutely easy to wear, and the scent is quite lovely and addicting to me. Great persistence. Just well made, fitting its creative concept but being effective as a perfume just as well.

But as usual, each to their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Nom de Guerre View Post
    Completely agree. It brings back wonderful memories of my care-free childhood in the countryside – the smell of haystacks in the warm June evenings.
    I retract my statement, I thought you were talking about the OG I have not tried this one.
    Currently wearing: Tempo by Diptyque

Quote Originally Posted by Nom de Guerre View Post
    I retract my statement, I thought you were talking about the OG I have not tried this one.
    No problem. I do not have the one you love, but would like to one of these days. This (2nd/2011) Eau de Parfum is not so well-known.

Be well.

Banned

Sounds like an interesting fragrance and something I'd enjoy sampling.

As for sniffing glue, I've only sniffed poppers once (I assume it's somewhat similar), I reckon it would be pretty bad if done regularly!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I think this is an awesome fragrance. I found it weirdly innocent and erotic at the same time - I think it's the clash of the feminine floral and industrial vibes combined with styrax, the latter being quite awesome in the more lipsticky and redberryish Cruel Intentions.

The bottle resembles a used or trashed thin-walled plastic bottle of Japanese mayonaise, only a bit more CdG. I totally love that bottle.

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation...ese-mayonnaise

I have come close to a buy several times. It almost passes for a lot of men's freshies at first sniff.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I think this is an awesome fragrance. I found it weirdly innocent and erotic at the same time - I think it's the clash of the feminine floral and industrial vibes combined with styrax, the latter being quite awesome in the more lipsticky and redberryish Cruel Intentions.

The bottle resembles a used or trashed thin-walled plastic bottle of Japanese mayonaise, only a bit more CdG. I totally love that bottle.

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation...ese-mayonnaise

I have come close to a buy several times. It almost passes for a lot of men's freshies at first sniff.
    I did not know those details about the bottle. Just read that it was supposed to be made of reused, disposed of glass (as the concept is an "useless/unwanted/ disposed of bottle"). Clever design indeed! (Also made me curious about that japanese mayo...) Love the bottle, and also have to laugh when random people comment disparaging it, because it doesn't fit their concept of a "proper" bottle-all according to CdG's wicked plans.

Haven't sniffed Cruel Intentions in years, but I believe it is one among many discontinued Kilians, sadly.

I love your description of the scent , innocent/erotic. It is very addictive. Love sniffing the sprayer when I am already wearing something else. I fear I may actually use it quite a bit, and may need another bottle in a few years.

Worth the eventual purchase if you love it! Thanks so much for your thoughts and added details.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Sounds like an interesting fragrance and something I'd enjoy sampling.

As for sniffing glue, I've only sniffed poppers once (I assume it's somewhat similar), I reckon it would be pretty bad if done regularly!
    Worth sampling at least! Even if you end up not getting a full bottle, you are likely to be thrilled. I find it very practical (not too heavy, not a faint skin scent) and super wearable in an unique way. Love this lovely oddity. "Addictive as glue."

Basenotes Plus

It really did smell like tape to me. Like that clear, shiny packing tape we all use to pack up boxes when we're mailing/moving.
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood

It really did smell like tape to me. Like that clear, shiny packing tape we all use to pack up boxes when we're mailing/moving.
    I think I need to try this. I am oddly compelled by the smell of clear packing tape.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I think I need to try this. I am oddly compelled by the smell of clear packing tape.
    Same here! I even have favorite brands: Office Depot house brand smells better than 3M.

Whenever I use tape, I always spend about a minute just sniffing it raw, unspooled off the roll.

Ha, I've mentioned before on here this is a favorite under the radar fragrance of mine.

Why it works so well is that the realistic tape smell seamlessly transitions into light florals and lavender. It reminds me a lot of the way Cuir d'Ange constructs a leather smell out of florals and in their dry downs they have a lot in common. It's the violet/heliotrope/hawthorn combo they share.

I've been debating buying a back up as I've used 3/4 of my bottle and it does seem to go in and out of stock online.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by starace View Post
    I did not know those details about the bottle. Just read that it was supposed to be made of reused, disposed of glass (as the concept is an "useless/unwanted/ disposed of bottle"). Clever design indeed! (Also made me curious about that japanese mayo...) Love the bottle, and also have to laugh when random people comment disparaging it, because it doesn't fit their concept of a "proper" bottle-all according to CdG's wicked plans.

Haven't sniffed Cruel Intentions in years, but I believe it is one among many discontinued Kilians, sadly.

I love your description of the scent , innocent/erotic. It is very addictive. Love sniffing the sprayer when I am already wearing something else. I fear I may actually use it quite a bit, and may need another bottle in a few years.

Worth the eventual purchase if you love it! Thanks so much for your thoughts and added details.
    And thank you for bringing attention to this very worthy fragrance. I'm going to wear my sample again soon! I'm sure I still have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Same here! I even have favorite brands: Office Depot house brand smells better than 3M.

Whenever I use tape, I always spend about a minute just sniffing it raw, unspooled off the roll.
    You need this fragrance!

Quote Originally Posted by cheapimitation View Post
    Ha, I've mentioned before on here this is a favorite under the radar fragrance of mine.

Why it works so well is that the realistic tape smell seamlessly transitions into light florals and lavender. It reminds me a lot of the way Cuir d'Ange constructs a leather smell out of florals and in their dry downs they have a lot in common. It's the violet/heliotrope/hawthorn combo they share.

I've been debating buying a back up as I've used 3/4 of my bottle and it does seem to go in and out of stock online.
    If you used up 3/4 of a bottle, IMO you won't regret having another one.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

Mr. mikeperez23,

It does indeed, but I am a bit wary of giving the wrong impression to others who do not know the perfume well. It suggests tape and other synthetics, which is even the more amazing in how Mr. Maisondieu and co. were able to make it work as a beautiful fragrance combined with the floral notes. The aldehydes in this one are amazing.

Of course, much like some people may hate even a hint of violets in perfume (not me!), if the least scent of tape bothers someone, I imagine "Eau de Parfum" may not be the fragrance for that individual. But as a whole, it is *both* concept and a lovely perfume, so *I* crave it! Absolutely love wearing it.