Code of Conduct

Default Cartier Declaration - any info on vintage or older bottles?

I had a look through the past 30 or so pages in the vintage forum but couldn't find anything other than an unanswered question (this one).

The original Cartier Declaration EdT was released in 1998 and has undoubtedly gone through at least some changes since.

I am surprised however that there is little information available as to how to spot older bottles. I bought an official carded sample late in 2020 and it was very strong compared to my current bottle of the EdT. It's OK though if I layer it with the current Declaration Essence - the effect seems to be the same.

Is there any info on how to spot earlier bottle of the original? Or can I expect my current bottle to gradually open up and get stronger with time?
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

Default Re: Cartier Declaration - any info on vintage or older bottles?

I believe this is the first version.

96BF1A20-AB6F-452A-AB80-9B6CC6D71A64.jpg

I can open it for you & show the bottle if you like, but I believe it’s the same bottle style. I have a vintage mini I’ve been using before opening this one, it’s in this same style box and the bottle is the same style as what’s available today.

No idea regarding Cartier batch codes. This one is(I think) H801037 34.

Vintage Declaration is wonderful. Not necessarily different, just stronger & smoother with no sharp edges or shrillness, anchored in oakmoss.

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I I bought an official carded sample late in 2020 and it was very strong compared to my current bottle of the EdT.
    Or can I expect my current bottle to gradually open up and get stronger with time?
    Are you saying that your current bottle is newer than late 2020? That was only 6 months ago.

I’m not old, I’m vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by Opiate View Post
    I can confirm that. I’m not sure how to tell w/o the box, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Are you saying that your current bottle is newer than late 2020? That was only 6 months ago.
    Nope. That's just when I bought it. My batch number is 9GAD... according to the usual sites that translates to July 2019.

I can open it for you & show the bottle if you like, but I believe it’s the same bottle style. I have a vintage mini I’ve been using before opening this one, it’s in this same style box and the bottle is the same style as what’s available today.

No idea regarding Cartier batch codes. This one is(I think) H801037 34.

Vintage Declaration is wonderful. Not necessarily different, just stronger & smoother with no sharp edges or shrillness, anchored in oakmoss.
    Thanks for the offer, Opiate. I don't think I could justify asking you to open it. When the time is right, I'm sure you'll gladly update us.

Yes I'm beginning to think the scent itself hasn't been changed; it's just been watered down quite a bit and doesn't last very long or project much. It's a shame because to my nose it's probably one of a few scents I would class as a signature scent. And I haven't worn it much.

Happy to open it for ya. (Apologies for the sideways pics, I have no idea how to correct that).
    61A4F818-11DD-4529-87A4-3B637BFAD80D.jpg

Attachment 151491

Not much info on the bottom sticker. Perhaps you can use the color of the juice or the batch code to id an old bottle but easier to just look for one in the box. Think I paid $40-ish for this one.

I’ve only compared it to the newer version once, but to me the older version has more texture to it. It’s warmer, and it feels fuzzy(?), probably from the oakmoss. Less polished and more cozy. But again, that was only from one SxS test and it might not be accurate.
    Straight out of the atomizer, it will fill your entire house with the smell. It made me laugh and I thought “well I can see why they named it Declaration”.

But after a few minutes the orange settles down, the cardamom kicks in, and it becomes more inviting & civilized. I can’t remember if it lasts longer than the newer version though.
    I think Cartier has done a great job with their reformulations, I would be okay owning a new bottle but this one was about the same price and I almost always default to buying vintage versions.
    I really like the Declaration EDP too and will get a bottle of that come fall.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I’m not old, I’m vintage.

(Apologies for the sideways pics, I have no idea how to correct that).
    There are a few ways, but I find the simplest is to crop the pic (the smallest amount is fine) before uploading.

Done !

1.jpg

2.jpg
    Currently wearing: Portos by Balenciaga