Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Green, Coniferous, and Forest - please critique my wish list

I have been reading Basenotes forum obsessively over the past few months - there is something very calming and satisfactory about that time, reading the reviews and imagining the great fragrances. Here's my wish list. Samples are hard to get by where I live, so I will be flying blind, so to speak. Let me know how this works as a collection. Please suggest, what I can add or remove. I feel I'm missing some Mediterrane coniferous, definitely want to add those to the list. I also wish I could add several great wood-centered fragrances, I find it hard as I stay away from Orientals. I try to stay away from too much synthetics. In terms of performance, I would like to get good sillage, but don't care that much about longevity. Short longevity might be even good, because I like to apply several fragrances within one day. Yes, I'm obsessed.

I own SdG Kyoto, in fact wearing it atm, I love the smell but the projection is weak, despite my relatively sensitive nose.

Definitely

Fou d'Absinthe
    Sisley Eau De Campagne
    Norne by Slumberhouse

Likely

Sycomore (Chanel)
    Vol de Nuit (Guerlain)
    Dryad by Papillon Artisan Perfumes
    Serge Lutens Fille en Aiguilles
    French Lover
    CdG Hinoki
    CdG Zagorsk
    Divine Sage
    Vie de Chateau Intense Nikolai
    Knize Forest

Default Re: Green, Coniferous, and Forest - please critique my wish list

This Reddit post might be helpful for your journey: https://www.reddit.com/r/fragrance/c...agrances_2019/

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Tranqville View Post

Fou d'Absinthe
    Sisley Eau De Campagne
    Norne by Slumberhouse

Likely

Sycomore (Chanel)
    Vol de Nuit (Guerlain)
    Dryad by Papillon Artisan Perfumes
    Serge Lutens Fille en Aiguilles
    French Lover
    CdG Hinoki
    CdG Zagorsk
    Divine Sage
    Vie de Chateau Intense Nikolai
    Knize Forest
    I think your list is already a nice variety of scents.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

Micallef Seducteur is another good coniferous fragrance.

Tam Dao EDP for a great woody fragrance
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator

Burvuvu from January Scent Project is as forest as I've smelled in my admittedly limited olfactory journey. I'd recommend anyone try it, as it is incredible, and indie perfumer John Biebel has an affordable discovery set (which comes with some really cool postcard art), as well as individual samples.

Personally, I would ditch Vol de Nuit and Zagorsk and maybe add Dior's Granville

Apart from that, your choices are sound imo

You should also look into Pineward Perfumes. Maybe grab the sample set as it’s a really affordable way to try them all.

https://www.pinewardperfume.com/products

[Of the fragrances I have experience with (and I remember):

Sycomore (Chanel) - more vetiver/incense centered than coniferous imo. Very nice, but comes at a price.
    Serge Lutens Fille en Aiguilles - sweet pine resin and incense. Too sweet for my tastes
    French Lover - the driest fragrance I have ever experienced. Spicy/bitter galbanum, over incense and woods. A great one, but you must love dry fragrances
    CdG Hinoki - camphor centric on smoke, incense and woods. Very nice, but doesn't make me think at a forest.
    Vie de Chateau Intense De Nicolai - It's a soft green. More about open fiels, with hay and tobacco undertones. Stunning, imho.
    Currently wearing: Casbah by Robert Piguet

Nice list.

Not a huge fan of Knize Forest-I think the classic Knize Ten is the go to for the brand. In french lover there is something that I find grating and sharp, but I must be oversensitive to some note.

For mediterranean coniferous, Acqua di selva is very traditional and I don't think expensive (Pino Silvestre is cheaper still, $10 in Italy, though it is a bit simple and rough). For additional ones, woods plus green/vegetal: Caron Yatagan.

cacio

I would recommend considering Rogue Perfumery Mousse Illuminee.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Diorella by Christian Dior

AdP Ginepro di Sardegna and l'Occitane Eau de 4 Voleurs (they're nearly identical)

Personally not a fan of Fou d'Absinthe (too sweet) but... I would add Agua Brava, Esencia Loewe and maybe Pino Silvestre. And regarding Zagorsk, I would keep it.
    Spray less, love more.

Bottega Veneta PH Extreme is a good choice for soft pine and clean suede. Extreme flanker is much more coniferous than the original IMO. A good indie option might be Forest by Rook Perfumery.

And a definite +1 on Pineward Perfumes. If you want real-deal forest smells, that's the way to go.
    “I have often observed that [scents] cause an alteration in me and work upon my spirits according to their several virtues; which makes me approve of what is said, that the use of incense and perfumes in churches, so ancient and so universally received in all nations and religions, was intended to cheer us, and to rouse and purify the senses, the better to fit us for contemplation” - Montaigne
    Currently wearing: Greyland by Montale

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

You've had lots of great suggestions so far. I'll just add the following three:

Profumum Victrix
    Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate
    Aramis Devin

I really like Divine L'Homme Sage, but it is more about the deep, amber-accented drydown than the forest notes IMO. That said, I love it.

Consider adding Lubin Itasca to your sample and/or buy list. It is a terrifically foresty scent with a vetiver lean. I also second Agua Brava.

Toward Minimalism:
    Guerlain Vetiver, Richard James Savile Row, Terre d'Hermes EDT, Bleu de Chanel EDT, Azzaro Pour Homme, Roger & Gallet Open, Dunhill for Men (1934), Prada Luna Rossa Carbon, Lubin Itasca

Basenotes Institution

Encre Noire?

Likely to second/recommend further especially Knize Forest, the CDG scents mentioned, French Lover, while also adding to a possible (re) testing list especially Sir Irisch Moos, Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels, Encre Noire Sport

I recommend Yatagan.

Quote Originally Posted by pete7505 View Post
    Burvuvu from January Scent Project is as forest as I've smelled in my admittedly limited olfactory journey. I'd recommend anyone try it, as it is incredible, and indie perfumer John Biebel has an affordable discovery set (which comes with some really cool postcard art), as well as individual samples.
    Yes, get the discovery set for sure -- that way, you can try Eiderantler, which it sounds like you may enjoy as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Opiate View Post
    You should also look into Pineward Perfumes. Maybe grab the sample set as it’s a really affordable way to try them all.

https://www.pinewardperfume.com/products
    Couldn't agree more, this house has your back, OP. A recent release, Bindebole, is getting great reviews (for good reason). I also did a house overview for Fragrantica if you're interested.

I'm also looking for a forest evocative perfume, but one made by someone who really smelled the forest before, not just seen it in the movies.

Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

That's my proposal:

Top: Clary Sage, Lavender, Elemi, Geranium;
    Heart: Pine, Fir, Cypress, Juniper, Eucalyptus, Carnation, White Flowers (a bit), Black Pepper;
    Base: Oak Moss, Atlas Cedarwood, Guaiacwood, Sandalwood, Labdanum, Olibanum/Frankincense, Patchouly (earthy and musty), Spikenard, Vetiver (dry, rooty-earthy, not dominant), Myrrh (mushroomy and slightly medicinal, not the sweet variety), Musk (warm and dirty), Birch Tar.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

Blog Entries

I'd add Lubin Itasca for sure, it's like a niche version of old school Polo, but with vetiver too, it's one of the best fragrances I've ever smelled, and any fan of coniferous blends needs to try this.

A big problem with a lot of frags labeled with forest in the name, or the notion of being green or coniferous is that they are short lasting in that regard. For example Knize Forest, only reminds me of a forest for a few minutes before it just turns into a clean lavender scent. Swiss Army Forest, does this too, only it becomes more lemony and musky.

A few I'd like to add, as this is my probably my favorite genre of scent.. Itasca, Mousse Illuminee, Spark Seduction.

Although I haven't tried these personally, I have heard that Undergrowth, and Forest by Rook are both phenomenal too. Again though, be weary of frags with forest in the name as they are often a big let down.

Also, Serge Lutens Fille en Aiguilles doesn't contain much pine to me, or it is just overwhelmed by sweet syrupy fruity notes.
    All Time Top 10: Fahrenheit, Fahrenheit Absolute, Corduroy, Seduction in Black, Itasca, Arpege pH, Burberry London, Spark Seduction, Paul Smith Man, Eau des Baux

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post

Although I haven't tried these personally, I have heard that Undergrowth, and Forest by Rook are both phenomenal too. Again though, be weary of frags with forest in the name as they are often a big let down..
    I’ve tried both of these and found them to be quite nice and pine forest-centric. Undergrowth has a bit more prominent clean, sweet mint, Forest is a bit more earthy.
    “I have often observed that [scents] cause an alteration in me and work upon my spirits according to their several virtues; which makes me approve of what is said, that the use of incense and perfumes in churches, so ancient and so universally received in all nations and religions, was intended to cheer us, and to rouse and purify the senses, the better to fit us for contemplation” - Montaigne
    Currently wearing: Greyland by Montale

Dependent

Hendley's Fume is the one that reminds me of the pine forests I grew up around.

Quote Originally Posted by Emanuel76 View Post
    I'm also looking for a forest evocative perfume, but one made by someone who really smelled the forest before, not just seen it in the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Emanuel76 View Post
    That's my proposal:

Top: Clary Sage, Lavender, Elemi, Geranium;
    Heart: Pine, Fir, Cypress, Juniper, Eucalyptus, Carnation, White Flowers (a bit), Black Pepper;
    Base: Oak Moss, Atlas Cedarwood, Guaiacwood, Sandalwood, Labdanum, Olibanum/Frankincense, Patchouly (earthy and musty), Spikenard, Vetiver (dry, rooty-earthy, not dominant), Myrrh (mushroomy and slightly medicinal, not the sweet variety), Musk (warm and dirty), Birch Tar.
    How about: Cedar leaves, Green sword ferns, Rhododendron, Forest mushrooms, Beebalm, Myrtle, Oakmoss, Black spruce, Balsam fir, Port Orford cedarwood....

That's the note list for Olympic Rainforest. Yes, I have been in the Olympic Rainforest and believe that Dr. Covey has been also.... My initial reaction was that this was darker, less bright green than I expected, maybe it more fully reflects the area than just the above ground plants. It obviously doesn't have everything you list but has a lot of it, worth a try!!!

It will be hard to find, and probably expensive if you do, but I feel you need to know about Gucci Pour Homme that came out in 2003. This one.....https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/...-2003-691.html

Look for the box with the brown and white triangles on it.....like this.... https://br.pinterest.com/pin/535083999479434001/

This version of GPH was discontinued several years ago, but bottles of it still show up on eBay. It's what I always think of when someone mentions they want something "coniferous and/or like a forest". This fragrance opens like you're walking on the floor of a forest.

Caron Yatagan is also a very nice coniferous fragrance.
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Quote Originally Posted by Tranqville View Post
    . I feel I'm missing some Mediterrane coniferous, definitely want to add those to the list. I also wish I could add several great wood-centered fragrances,. Yes, I'm obsessed.

Obsessed.... then you are in the right place!!

Some good suggestions already like BVPHE and Mousse. But if you want the ultimate for wood centered fragrances you have to try Olympic Orchids Woodcut. If it's too much wood then try Tucson/Arizona. And Tam Dao, as mentioned, is nice too.

For the coniferous, my favorite is Goutal Nuit Etoilee. People keep saying it is just like Norme, but I have yet to try that.... need to do that. Another good one is Olympic Rainforest.

deleted dup
    Last edited by woodnotes55; 17th April 2021 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Deleted double post DOH!!!!

I do have Encre Noire. I loved it initially, but kind of got bored with it with time.