Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is MFK Lumiere Noire ph really discontinued?

It's no longer in MFK's website. Did I miss a post about its discontinuation somewhere? It's in my shortlist of signature worthy fragrances and will cherish my 70ml bottle, if it's true.

Any other info?
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Zadig & Voltaire This is Him!
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

Default Re: Is MFK Lumiere Noire ph really discontinued?

I heard it's discontinued from SA year ago.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

Quote Originally Posted by AntonPan View Post
    I heard it's discontinued from SA year ago.
    Wow, I don't know how it did not hit my radar. I even searched here and didn't see any mentions. I would think for as popular as Lumiere Noire is, I'd see more talk if it were truly discontinued...but here we are.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    It's no longer in MFK's website. Did I miss a post about its discontinuation somewhere? It's in my shortlist of signature worthy fragrances and will cherish my 70ml bottle, if it's true.

Any other info?
    This site seems to have it and says inventory was last updated today, and when added to the cart there is another 12% automatically deducted, but have no personal knowledge of them:

https://costsmetic.com/products/lumi...gle%20Shopping
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    This site seems to have it and says inventory was last updated today, and when added to the cart there is another 12% automatically deducted, but have no personal knowledge of them:

https://costsmetic.com/products/lumi...gle%20Shopping
    Thanks, hednic...I think I'm good with my bottle. I might back it up if I find a good deal down the road.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

That would be too bad. This is the only one from the house that I find bottle worthy, and I love it.
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

Basenotes Plus

I wonder if it has something to do with all the shipping issues cause of Covid cause they had plenty of bottles at the boutique.
    Make It Happen!

Current Top 10 Of All Time
    1.Encens Mythique d’Orient
    2.L’Heure Perdue XI
    3.Le Monarque II/Sultanate Of Oman/Pierre de Velay No. 1/Black Cashmere/Pearl Moon/Semi Bespoke 21/Parfum Royale No.1
    4.Candy Aoud/(Dior) Vetiver/Santal Noir/Great Britain/Correspondence/Dasman/Symphonium/Al-Khatt/Nuit de Bekelite/Richwood
    5.Les Sables Roses/Mon Patchouly/1996/EL/Vision In A Dream Psychedelic/Argentium Halo De Lune/Torc/FDB Velvet Amber
    6.L’Heure Mysterieuse XII/Au Hasard/#laislablanca/ Luci Ed Ombre/Tabac Rose/Russian Tea/Oud & Ambre/Oud & Pink
    7.Opus VI/Prolixe/Jump Up & Kiss Me Hedonistic/Alseif
    8.Le Monarque III/V/MAAI/Malesia/Absolue Pour le Soir/Ganymede
    9.Fetish Parfum Pour Homme/Dhajala
    10.Cuir Intense

Quote Originally Posted by RawMia View Post
    I wonder if it has something to do with all the shipping issues cause of Covid cause they had plenty of bottles at the boutique.
    You mean physically at the boutique? What was the timeframe? I think it would also just say out of stock, if they're waiting for more stock.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

By the way APOM line has also been discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by AntonPan View Post
    By the way APOM line has also been discontinued.
    Perhaps the lack of sales for that particular scent? Didn't think MFK would discontinue stuff, I'm guessing times have changed for them.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Wow they seem to be discontinuing a lot from their line , first APLS, CDS, the whole APOM line, now Lumiere Noire. Is MFK in bad shape ?

Velvet and Cashmere Mood are also gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinrambo09 View Post
    Wow they seem to be discontinuing a lot from their line , first APLS, CDS, the whole APOM line, now Lumiere Noire. Is MFK in bad shape ?
    I hope it means he's got a few new ones (real new ones, not flankers) planned to come out. But yeah, not looking so good. I didn't know about APOM either, but do have a bottle of that as well. I have one more purchase to make probably and I should be good.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

I tried several times to order from costsmetic.com, but I am unable to because their payment method fails every time. I reached out and asked about it but never heard back.

Fortunately I was able to buy a couple of bottles from other sellers, but it's really difficult to find anywhere
    Last edited by D.McDutchface; 16th April 2021 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Was supposed to quote hednic's post but it's too early here fo function properly
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

If MFK have discontinued Lumiere Noire Pour Homme in favour of L'homme a la rose they are really losing the plot. I hope it's a temporary hiccup.

Basenotes Plus

You mean physically at the boutique? What was the timeframe? I think it would also just say out of stock, if they're waiting for more stock.
    Yes in the physical boutique, as of a week or 2 ago. They had every release in stock including all the exclusives.

I strongly believe all these issues are cause of Covid, Xerjoff & Frederic Malle are having similar issues.

Everything from sourcing ingredients, multiple country lockdowns to shipping issues are affecting the industry as a whole.
    Make It Happen!

Current Top 10 Of All Time
    1.Encens Mythique d’Orient
    2.L’Heure Perdue XI
    3.Le Monarque II/Sultanate Of Oman/Pierre de Velay No. 1/Black Cashmere/Pearl Moon/Semi Bespoke 21/Parfum Royale No.1
    4.Candy Aoud/(Dior) Vetiver/Santal Noir/Great Britain/Correspondence/Dasman/Symphonium/Al-Khatt/Nuit de Bekelite/Richwood
    5.Les Sables Roses/Mon Patchouly/1996/EL/Vision In A Dream Psychedelic/Argentium Halo De Lune/Torc/FDB Velvet Amber
    6.L’Heure Mysterieuse XII/Au Hasard/#laislablanca/ Luci Ed Ombre/Tabac Rose/Russian Tea/Oud & Ambre/Oud & Pink
    7.Opus VI/Prolixe/Jump Up & Kiss Me Hedonistic/Alseif
    8.Le Monarque III/V/MAAI/Malesia/Absolue Pour le Soir/Ganymede
    9.Fetish Parfum Pour Homme/Dhajala
    10.Cuir Intense

I hope MFK is not in trouble. I love most of their fragrances, especially Lumiere Noire.

Glad I bought Lumiere Noire pour Homme just before Christmas last year. Not fond of the handful of other MFK's I've sampled, though.
    Spray less, love more.

In fact, Lumiere Noire doesn't fit the new MFK direction of chemical ambroxany musky frags. So not a shocking news.

I've seen that coming...

https://www.basenotes.net/threads/39...=1#post5007531

The last weeks in Germany guys grabbed the last bottles from different shops which still had some (from Italy, Greece etc.).
    It's sold out here.

Quote Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
    I've seen that coming...

The last weeks in Germany guys grabbed the last bottles from different shops which still had some (from Italy, Greece etc.).
    It's sold out here.
    No wonder I missed that thread - it had Absolue pour le Soir in the title and I wouldn't have touched that with a 10-foot pole.

Seriously though, I've heard it from a few people and sources now that those are discontinued. I'll pick up a second bottle of Lumiere Noire if it crosses my path and it's a good price, but I'm not going to hunt it down.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

No wonder I missed that thread - it had Absolue pour le Soir in the title and I wouldn't have touched that with a 10-foot pole.
    I see why - I don't like APLS either.
    It gives me that "pee in the hamster cage" vibe off my skin.

I see why - I don't like APLS either.
    It gives me that "pee in the hamster cage" vibe off my skin.
    Yeah, that's the one note or accord I can't stand. Had to sell my Dries Van Noten for the same reason. Seems to really get super pissy on my skin.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

Yeah, that's the one note or accord I can't stand. Had to sell my Dries Van Noten for the same reason. Seems to really get super pissy on my skin.
    To be fair it smells a little bit better after 2 hours or so - but I couldn't get past that opening and I'm also curious about what other people may think about me when I smell that way...

To be fair it smells a little bit better after 2 hours or so - but I couldn't get past that opening and I'm also curious about what other people may think about me when I smell that way...
    Not on my skin. It pretty much stays there for the duration.

Anyway, I went ahead and picked up the last bottle I still want from the house. Been putting it off for a while, but just picked up Ciel de Gum. I should be good at this point and await some (hopefully) new, exciting offerings.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

I've seen that coming...

It's sold out here.
    I bought Lumiere Noire in December directly from MFK, so the discontinuation must be very recent.

MFK had a free engraving campaign going on then, so I got the names of my two kids on the bottle, as a justification of sorts to jump on it ("Gee, think about it kids! How cool would it be too see your names engraved on a perfume bottle! Daddy will buy it RIGHT NOW - despite solemnly promising not to buy any more this year!" )
    Spray less, love more.

GONE are:
    Lumiere Noire Pour Homme and Pour Femme
    APOM Pour Homme and Pour Femme
    Absolute Pour le Soir and Pour le Matin
    Cologne Pour le Soir and Pour le Matin
    Oud Cashmere Mood and Oud Velvet Mood

It is so sad because they were the original early releases and had more character than the safe Amyris, and Ala Roses.

The brand emphasizes casual, cocktail lounge and VIP fragrances - fragrance for each occasion.
    Now we are left with the easy to wear only.. What's happening! The brand is going the way of a "high quality mass market house with numerous flankers of the same thing". Very disappointing.

Frederic Malle, Le Labo and similar peers will not discontinue their offerings because it alienates the customer. I wonder if this has to do with the invisible hand of LVMH vs. Estee Lauder?

Also, the marketing is awfully confusing no?
    - on one hand the fragrances are unisex and "empowering", such as Gentle Fluidity Gold and Silver,
    - on the other hand, the products are defined as strictly for men or women like the Pluriel, APOM, Lumiere Noire, Ala Rose etc. (hell, even their website draws this distinction)
    - then we have two morning and night collections in APLS/Grand Soir, APLM/Petit Matin and the Colognes
    - and numerous Aqua flankers - the colognes are on the way....

MFK has discontinued the gems on one hand and will be introducing Aqua Universalis/Vitae/Celestia Cologne Forte.
    Sure, the new Aquas will be good.
    But seriously, how many Aquas does this collection need? We now will have 6 variants of the same 3 scent DNAs!

How about just sticking to one theme and one offering each such as:
    - Morning x1 product, Night x1 product. Petit Matin & Grand Soir should be marketed as something else because no matter good these 2 releases were, they negatively affected Pour le Matin and Pour le Soir because of the identical message.
    - Aqua offering - all in full EDPs (the fortes), not EDTs
    - Exploring themes like Pluriel, APOM, etc. in full EDPs as unisex or for men and women so we can cut the flanker BS like Amyris EDT/EDP - now there is an Extrait
    - Baccarat Rouge - started with EDP, now there is a Extrait
    - Oud Mood were all extraits but now the EDP is offered. Why?

Take Frederic Malle for example, they will release Music for a While or Carnal Flower - never do they make an empowering statement for a gender, never do they water down or amp it up with a flanker. Its a one off, no flankers, no new tweaks; there is a concept, there is 1 SKU, not 3 or more.
    Imagine if Dan Tes Bras, Une Fleur de Cassis, Une Rose was discontinued from Malle; very sure someone will be pissed.

COVID-19 supply chain issues aside, these discontinued frags really should be available on the website in the future.
    Hopefully the house can come up with a clearer message to what the house represents too. The message is getting confusing, (and generic).

Quote Originally Posted by RawMia View Post
    Yes in the physical boutique, as of a week or 2 ago. They had every release in stock including all the exclusives.

I strongly believe all these issues are cause of Covid, Xerjoff & Frederic Malle are having similar issues.

Everything from sourcing ingredients, multiple country lockdowns to shipping issues are affecting the industry as a whole.
    Ok I'm finally connecting it now, after cheapimitation mentioned you may be referring to the Miami boutique? I'm so naive that I didn't even know there were boutiques here in the US. lol I was referring to the main one in France. I thought you were saying you saw it there in store recently.

The one in Miami is probably just residual stock and when they're gone, they're gone. The MFK site itself doesn't have Lumiere Noire listed anymore and I've seen lots of mentions that it's discontinued.

Anyway, hope you're right that it's only due to Covid, but it's looking bleak.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

Quote Originally Posted by spirit966 View Post
    GONE are:
    Lumiere Noire Pour Homme and Pour Femme
    APOM Pour Homme and Pour Femme
    Absolute Pour le Soir and Pour le Matin
    Cologne Pour le Soir and Pour le Matin
    Oud Cashmere Mood and Oud Velvet Mood

It is so sad because they were the original early releases and had more character than the safe Amyris, and Ala Roses.

The brand emphasizes casual, cocktail lounge and VIP fragrances - fragrance for each occasion.
    Now we are left with the easy to wear only.. What's happening! The brand is going the way of a "high quality mass market house with numerous flankers of the same thing". Very disappointing.

Frederic Malle, Le Labo and similar peers will not discontinue their offerings because it alienates the customer. I wonder if this has to do with the invisible hand of LVMH vs. Estee Lauder?

Also, the marketing is awfully confusing no?
    - on one hand the fragrances are unisex and "empowering", such as Gentle Fluidity Gold and Silver,
    - on the other hand, the products are defined as strictly for men or women like the Pluriel, APOM, Lumiere Noire, Ala Rose etc. (hell, even their website draws this distinction)
    - then we have two morning and night collections in APLS/Grand Soir, APLM/Petit Matin and the Colognes
    - and numerous Aqua flankers - the colognes are on the way....

MFK has discontinued the gems on one hand and will be introducing Aqua Universalis/Vitae/Celestia Cologne Forte.
    Sure, the new Aquas will be good.
    But seriously, how many Aquas does this collection need? We now will have 6 variants of the same 3 scent DNAs!

How about just sticking to one theme and one offering each such as:
    - Morning x1 product, Night x1 product. Petit Matin & Grand Soir should be marketed as something else because no matter good these 2 releases were, they negatively affected Pour le Matin and Pour le Soir because of the identical message.
    - Aqua offering - all in full EDPs (the fortes), not EDTs
    - Exploring themes like Pluriel, APOM, etc. in full EDPs as unisex or for men and women so we can cut the flanker BS like Amyris EDT/EDP - now there is an Extrait
    - Baccarat Rouge - started with EDP, now there is a Extrait
    - Oud Mood were all extraits but now the EDP is offered. Why?

Take Frederic Malle for example, they will release Music for a While or Carnal Flower - never do they make an empowering statement for a gender, never do they water down or amp it up with a flanker. Its a one off, no flankers, no new tweaks; there is a concept, there is 1 SKU, not 3 or more.
    Imagine if Dan Tes Bras, Une Fleur de Cassis, Une Rose was discontinued from Malle; very sure someone will be pissed.

COVID-19 supply chain issues aside, these discontinued frags really should be available on the website in the future.
    Hopefully the house can come up with a clearer message to what the house represents too. The message is getting confusing, (and generic).
    You make a lot of good points. When you stop to think about it, you're right, the brand offerings are confusing. Perhaps they're streamlining and they'll come back, as you said. We shall see!
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

^^ I agree with everything you said, but unfortunately the reality is brands don't owe us anything. The only thing you can do is don't buy it anymore as you are no longer the target customer, and find another brand that does cater to your taste.

I've listened to a few podcast with Kurkdjian, he's a lovely and smart person and seems very concerned with keeping his business afloat without selling to a conglomerate. I really respect that, but at the same time it seems like he will not hesitate to discontinue something that is no longer profitable. I also wonder if he just no longer likes those early works because they are so different from the style of the brand now, maybe he finds them discongruous with the brand image. He seems like a perfectionist (you can tell by the precision of his creations) so maybe he sees it as refining and tightening his offering.

I do think the earlier stuff is better, but I can see how some of the replacements he might view as a refinement of the older (Grand Soir being more streamlined and likeable than APLS). Unfortunately to me, the new stuff often comes off like amped up designer but maybe that's what he's into now. If it were me, I would use the more commercial work to support the more niche offerings even if I means taking a loss on them. The way many fashion designers might lose money on very elaborate pieces or runway show production but the cheaper mass selling things make up for that. But FK may not see it that way, he might see these outlier fragrances as clutter rather than cult favorites.

I absolutely love that Malle won't discontinue (although there is one getting the axe but for other reasons). I mean, they must sell 2 bottles of Une Fleur de Cassie a year but it's still there haha. I think it helps that Malle is not the creator so he has personal distance from the creation. He can see them as masterpieces as a fan of the perfumer, but since FK is the perfumer and head of the company, he has a more personal investment in the creations and therefore might be more prone to get rid of ones he no longer likes or that no longer represent where he is currently at creatively.

TLDR: c'est la vie