Code of Conduct
    Dependent
    Blog Entries

Default Fragrances similar to Grey Flannel in vibe or style

I'm kind of over my old school phase, after trying out most of the heavy hitters of the power house era. I'm going to try and just look for some pleasant smelling, relatively modern fragrances.

However, out of all the classics I've tried, Grey Flannel, in my opinion, is the easiest to wear in 2021. It's not heavy, it's not cloying, it's not not dirty, and it's not trying to radiate a He-Man muskiness. It's just a dapper, clean smelling scent. Kind of green, floral, soapy. I don't get anything powdery unlike something such as Wild Country.

Are there other fragrances out there that has a similar vibe to Grey Flannel?

I have Halston 1-12 and while they both are somewhat similar at the middle, the Halston eventually dries down into something that's pretty sharp and even a bit warm. It doesn't have that soft, clean, cool vibe of Grey Flannel's base notes. I'd even go as far as saying there's something a bit dirty or crude lurking at the bottom of 1-12. Would it be considered a bit spicy?

I hear Narciso Rodriguez for Him is to Grey Flannel, what Rive Gauche Pour Homme is to Azzaro Pour Homme. I'm intrigued by that description. But NR is also compared to Fahrenheit, as Grey Flannel is too. And Fahrenheit is an oriental that's not clean and not cool whatsoever.

Terre d'Hermes? I believe I sampled that one time and it kind of dried down to something woody if I recall. It was nice but not as fresh as GF. I'll resample it thought just to be sure.

Maybe there are some old school men's florals that might be what I'm looking for? Aramis has florals, but it's also extremely animalic and challenging, which is not what I want.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Fragrances similar to Grey Flannel in vibe or style

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post

I hear Narciso Rodriguez for Him is to Grey Flannel, what Rive Gauche Pour Homme is to Azzaro Pour Homme.
    You should give the Narciso Rodriguez a try.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I might suggest trying the other Beene fragrance, Bowling Green. It has more going on, but it is similarly nicely balanced IMO. FWIW, I don't see Grey Flannel as a powerhouse, but it's no shrinking violet. It's got plenty of oomph and personality. Narciso Rodriguez is closer to Grey Flannel than Fahrenheit, but it's not the same. It's very unique and more muted and grey than GF.

Another classic frag that is not at all a powerhouse and well worth checking out if you want something smooth and clean is Dunhill Edition.

Toward Minimalism:
    Guerlain Vetiver, Richard James Savile Row, Terre d'Hermes EDT, Bleu de Chanel EDT, Azzaro Pour Homme, Roger & Gallet Open, Dunhill for Men (1934), Prada Luna Rossa Carbon, Lubin Itasca

All Is Beautiful

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur also.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Quote Originally Posted by TRBeck View Post
    I might suggest trying the other Beene fragrance, Bowling Green. It has more going on, but it is similarly nicely balanced IMO. FWIW, I don't see Grey Flannel as a powerhouse, but it's no shrinking violet.
    Another classic frag that is not at all a powerhouse and well worth checking out if you want something smooth and clean is Dunhill Edition.
    Bowling Green is very citrus heavy, but I agree on trying it, and on Dunhill Edition.

Another one that is kind of in the ballpark is Dunhill Signature.

As a big fan of Grey Flannel, there are a few with similarity in scent, like Burberry Touch or Eau de Cartier/Concentree. I like those but not sure they capture the vibe so much. Then you have perhaps Penhaligons Sartorial, which captures the vibe, but may be too far off scent wise. Anyway, you can give those a try, and if no go just stick to the classic!!! Besides smelling good Grey Flannel is priced where you can wear it all the time!!!

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    You should give the Narciso Rodriguez a try.
    I'll see if I can get a sample as it's a bit pricey for a blind buy.

Quote Originally Posted by TRBeck View Post
    I might suggest trying the other Beene fragrance, Bowling Green. It has more going on, but it is similarly nicely balanced IMO. FWIW, I don't see Grey Flannel as a powerhouse, but it's no shrinking violet. It's got plenty of oomph and personality. Narciso Rodriguez is closer to Grey Flannel than Fahrenheit, but it's not the same. It's very unique and more muted and grey than GF.

Bowling Green sounds like the perfect blind buy but I'm a bit concerned about it being warmer than GF, especially if it's like Drakkar Noir. But for the price, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by woodnotes55 View Post
    Bowling Green is very citrus heavy, but I agree on trying it, and on Dunhill Edition.

Another one that is kind of in the ballpark is Dunhill Signature.

As a big fan of Grey Flannel, there are a few with similarity in scent, like Burberry Touch or Eau de Cartier/Concentree. I like those but not sure they capture the vibe so much. Then you have perhaps Penhaligons Sartorial, which captures the vibe, but may be too far off scent wise. Anyway, you can give those a try, and if no go just stick to the classic!!! Besides smelling good Grey Flannel is priced where you can wear it all the time!!!
    I think I may have tried Burberry Touch at Burlingon Coat Factory, can't be sure. From what I remember it wasn't bad. Pencil shavings comes to mind.
    Sartorial I heard was like Brut, right? If so, not for me. I'll check out the Cartier.

But yeah, for the price I could just get another bottle of Grey Flannel, which I will since my last one didn't come with the duffle bag.

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur also.
    I have a small bottle of the vintage and it's not what I'm looking for. Pour Monsieur has this pungent powdery vibe. To me it's much different in vibe to GF. It reminds me one one of those Jovan fragrances. It's got a very 70s disco feel. And even though I hate those 70s musk scents, PC PM does it exceptionally well. I'm glad I have it.

Violent Violet!!

Personally, I don't like the smell of it, but to answer your question, I think Kiton Men is similar with Kiton Black being a more subdued version (but darker).

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Knize Two is the closest to GF, to my nose, and more refined.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I had read NARCISCO RODRIGUEZ FOR HIM was "similar" and have it. It's got a violet aspect for sure but I would not say it's very similar.

GREY FLANNEL is kind of a classic masculine, and I had hope this would be a sort of modernized version. NRFH is kind of modern, but I find it a bit sullen and a sort of musty.

Sample first.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post

Bowling Green sounds like the perfect blind buy but I'm a bit concerned about it being warmer than GF, especially if it's like Drakkar Noir. But for the price, why not?

I think I may have tried Burberry Touch at Burlingon Coat Factory, can't be sure. From what I remember it wasn't bad. Pencil shavings comes to mind.
    Sartorial I heard was like Brut, right? If so, not for me. I'll check out the Cartier.

But yeah, for the price I could just get another bottle of Grey Flannel, which I will since my last one didn't come with the duffle bag.

Bowling green is all about citrus and pine. I don't get any correlation with Drakkar at all. Usually the people that don't like BG will say it's lemon pledge or something. I don't think too warm is a risk, if you do not like it that will probably not be the reason.

I didn't get shavings from Touch but could see how you could. Mainly it's a bit dry with violet, somewhat like Grey Flannel, but definitely less floral.

I also don't think of Brut with Sartorial, I think of sandalwood/barbershop. But a lot of people say that, so there must be something there. Going for a vibe the scent may not work, so maybe a good pass. The Cartier is nice and should be easy to get a sample fairly cheap. If no luck there send me a pm......

Hey, no one can get too much Grey Flannel!!! And you know, I don't have the duffel bag either.... hmm....

Bowling Green I'd suggest, as others suggested it's inexpensive.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I’m not old, I’m vintage.

I love both (vintage) Grey Flannel and Bowling Green, but the fragrances are as different as the bottles are alike. I’m trying to think what has a GF-like vibe, but nothing comes to mind.
    Currently wearing: Palais Jamais by Etro

Narciso Rodriguez for him or Amouage Portrayal Man just because of the heavy violet.

Also adding, to certain extents (actually quite unisex in spite of its designated gender) Yardley April Violets and also part of the Fahrenheit flankers- perhaps with a more complex, deeper dark floral theme- like Absolute or Parfum.
    Plus also l'Erbolario Accordo Violetta and if speaking of flankers as well as Narciso Rodriguez, For Him EDP.

Chamade pour homme by Guerlain
    When the night takes on its own life, the tempo changes. Take along, languorous breath. Linger till dawn, keep your head in the stars. You're suspended in time.

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Knize Two is the closest to GF, to my nose, and more refined.
    +1 Knize Two
    Knize Forest might also suit.

Montana Graphite : cedar, violet, some iris. Clean wood + masc florals
    Spring is almost here. Selecting from : Penhaligon's Elixir; Bottega Veneta Bottega Veneta pour Homme EdT; Etro Gomma, Etro Palais Jamais. Aramis Tuscany; Knize Knize Ten, Hermes Equipage (vtg), Hermes Bel Ami, Caron Yatagan; Guerlain Vetiver.

To a certain extent, also considering Creed Green Irish Tweed, the classic sturdy GIT, similar to a fresher take on Grey Flannel albeit never in the style of Eau de Grey Flannel. Because if Eau de Grey Flannel relies almost solely on grapefruit plus a few hints 90s style "ambroxan aquatics" to become fresher on the nose and on skin compared to regular Grey Flannel, GIT has a wider complexity and also a more distinctive 80s near powerhouse style to become/stay fresh,relying more not just on higher quality ingredients, but also on added soapiness and almost chypre-piny woodiness.