Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Jo Malone | British Collection 2021 | Marmalade Cologne

I first read about these on Now Smell This.

A five (5) fragrance, limited edition collection with two being re-released: Blackberry & Bay Cologne & Elderflower Cordial Cologne and three new releases: Rose Blush Cologne, Orange Peel Cologne & Tangy Rhubarb Cologne all in brand new packaging inspired by British marmalade jars.

All 30 ml / $74 each and on the UK site there's a coffret of all five for 275 Euro (not sure if US release)
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood

Default Re: Jo Malone | British Collection 2021 | Marmalade Cologne

I wouldn't mind the coffret for summer. Blackberry & Bay is very refreshing cut through with grapefruit. Even the photo looks zingy!

Thanks for the heads up!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Elderflower Cologne - notes of Elderflower and Gooseberry..... Sounds as much like a backcountry wine as a cologne!!! Curious to smell this one.....
    Currently wearing: Worth pour Homme by Worth

Blog Entries

I like the sound of an orange peel cologne. I don't even mind the kitsch branding. Withinn the wash of 'Keep Calm & Carry On' products it's hardly the most egregious. But something tells me the fragrance will be crap.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Basenotes Plus

I have been a bit underwhelmed by most of the recent limited edition Jo Malone fragrances. Nonetheless, I will try to test them - there is a store within walking distance from my office in Miami Beach. And those bottles are adorable.
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood

Blog Entries

Orange Peel isn't bad at all.

It's very much like Atelier's Orange Sanguine. It's full of white florals and fake woods that could easily pass as 'sandalwood'. The orange note isn't as pure or clear as Atelier, more akin to something like Guerlain's Orange Soleia, in that it is bolstered by other citrus-y notes. I don't get anything distinct other than perhaps bergamot, but it's round, smooth, with only minimal sharpness and no real spice, as bergamot is wont to do.

It's well tempered though. It's not the most orange-centric fragrance you'll find but I think that works in its favour - Atelier's offering is fleeting in the 'real orange' category, as it dries down to geranium and synthetic sandalwood. Here, it's similar, but it's not quite as severe, and it manages to balance a dry, slightly herbaceous and green feeling, with white florals, clear/synth woods, and of the course the citruses.

After a while, as expected, it gets a tad sweeter, more floral, and veers in to hairspray territory. At this point it's more masculine than I expected it to be, despite the hairspray. It develops a depth that is quite hefty, spicy, and woody. The orange has mostly gone now, although citruses remain in the background.

It retains its sweetness throughout in what veers it slightly in to the territory of dairy - less ice lolly, and more like a cheap 'orange flavour' ice cream. But it's quite a cool, refreshing scent overall. Surprisingly hefty, as I say, for a Jo Malone and this category in particular. It still smells feminine to my nose though, too many 'high pitched' synthetic-screechy notes, as well as the approach to the citrus and floral accord.

I haven't looked up the notes, so forgive me if they list vastly different scents, but it's not the most complex fragrance in any case. Very much a modern eau de cologne - unisex, simplified, built around one note/idea. It seems to have been given more care than the usual Acqua di Parmas or Ateliers, though. It's less about the top notes and more about the drydown, where orange plays a bit part to what feels almost like an ode to a Mediterranean garden, despite the branding suggesting something quintessentially English.

I'd consider buying it if it was less expensive. I'd have to give it a few wears to see how I feel. It's nice and fresh, that's for sure.

I just received the Elderflower Cordial Cologne and it is beautiful. Fresh and tart, seems to last.
    Currently wearing: Jasmin 17 by Le Labo

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by Eah2224 View Post
    I just received the Elderflower Cordial Cologne and it is beautiful. Fresh and tart, seems to last.
    Be still my heart. I love the smell of that Belvoir Elderflower Cordial drink so much that I sometimes buy it just to smell it. I must sniff this as soon as possible!

5 minutes later: found on Nordstrom website for $74 for one ounce. Ouch. At that rate a 100ml bottle would be $225+. That's pretty pricey for a cologne. Fortunately I found an eBay seller of 2ml samples, so at least I can be sure I love it before investing.

The notes list lychee as well as elderflower. To my nose, elderflower and fresh lychee fruits smell pretty much identical.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    Orange Peel isn't bad at all.

It's very much like Atelier's Orange Sanguine. It's full of white florals and fake woods that could easily pass as 'sandalwood'. The orange note isn't as pure or clear as Atelier, more akin to something like Guerlain's Orange Soleia, in that it is bolstered by other citrus-y notes. I don't get anything distinct other than perhaps bergamot, but it's round, smooth, with only minimal sharpness and no real spice, as bergamot is wont to do.

It's well tempered though. It's not the most orange-centric fragrance you'll find but I think that works in its favour - Atelier's offering is fleeting in the 'real orange' category, as it dries down to geranium and synthetic sandalwood. Here, it's similar, but it's not quite as severe, and it manages to balance a dry, slightly herbaceous and green feeling, with white florals, clear/synth woods, and of the course the citruses.

After a while, as expected, it gets a tad sweeter, more floral, and veers in to hairspray territory. At this point it's more masculine than I expected it to be, despite the hairspray. It develops a depth that is quite hefty, spicy, and woody. The orange has mostly gone now, although citruses remain in the background.

It retains its sweetness throughout in what veers it slightly in to the territory of dairy - less ice lolly, and more like a cheap 'orange flavour' ice cream. But it's quite a cool, refreshing scent overall. Surprisingly hefty, as I say, for a Jo Malone and this category in particular. It still smells feminine to my nose though, too many 'high pitched' synthetic-screechy notes, as well as the approach to the citrus and floral accord.

I haven't looked up the notes, so forgive me if they list vastly different scents, but it's not the most complex fragrance in any case. Very much a modern eau de cologne - unisex, simplified, built around one note/idea. It seems to have been given more care than the usual Acqua di Parmas or Ateliers, though. It's less about the top notes and more about the drydown, where orange plays a bit part to what feels almost like an ode to a Mediterranean garden, despite the branding suggesting something quintessentially English.

I'd consider buying it if it was less expensive. I'd have to give it a few wears to see how I feel. It's nice and fresh, that's for sure.
    Thanks - I think the notes for Orange Peel Cologne are: orange peel, orange bigarade and cashmere wood. I was most interested to try this one because when it comes to actual marmalade, I love orange marmalade with lots of orange peel. Just thinking about really good orange marmalade gets me salivating.

In other news, there was a favorable review of Tangy Rhubarb Cologne (by perfumer Nicolas Bonneville) and Elderflower Cordial Cologne (by Christine Nagel...from Hermes! as perfumer) on Now Smell This here: https://nstperfume.com/2021/04/29/jo...grance-review/

-- D. Elton Trueblood

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    In other news, there was a favorable review of Tangy Rhubarb Cologne (by perfumer Nicolas Bonneville) and Elderflower Cordial Cologne (by Christine Nagel...from Hermes! as perfumer) on Now Smell This here: https://nstperfume.com/2021/04/29/jo...grance-review/
    Exciting to learn that it's Nagel's creation, but disappointing to read this from NST:

"...and, in case you were wondering about any possible likeness to St. Germain, I took a few sips from the bottle in my cupboard (in the interest of research!) and didn't find a strong correspondence to that drink, either."

I was hoping it would be a LOT like St.-Germain.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Thanks - I think the notes for Orange Peel Cologne are: orange peel, orange bigarade and cashmere wood. I was most interested to try this one because when it comes to actual marmalade, I love orange marmalade with lots of orange peel. Just thinking about really good orange marmalade gets me salivating.
    There's certainly a lot more going on than just 3 notes. I've added a review to fragrantica but the notes they have are far too limited. It dries down in to a nice, clean, spicy-clean lavender scent. It's good, I'm impressed. Not amazing, but good. Don't go buying it if you're expecting marmalade though. The base is definitely bergamot, pepper, fake woods (maybe cashmere), with a thick lavender and green herbal accord, while the sweetness (vanilla etc) gives an echo of the orange top notes. It's not too dissimilar to Guerlain's Orange scent from the Aqua Allegoria line in that sense: bergamot-heavy, spicy and woody base, yet fresh. It doesn't ruin it by trying to simulate orange in to the base where, clearly, brands like Atelier tried and failed.

Basenotes Plus

The review on NST makes me curious to try the Tangy Rhubarb Cologne. I love rhubarb. Next time I'm at Sephora I'll see if they have it.