Code of Conduct

Default Labdanum Clear from P&N - worth it?

I'm running low on Labdanum Resinoid from CP but they no longer have it listed on their site (insert frustrated eye roll here)so I'm looking at Labdanum Absolute from PA to substitute. I see they also have "Labdanum Clear Absolute P&N". I've never heard of 'clear' labdanum.

So I have 2 questions if you can help me:

1) Is Labdanum Absoute a good substitute for Labdanum Resinoid?

2) Does 'Labdanum Clear Absolute P&N' measure up to the regular dark stuff? (not staining my clothes sounds appealing)

Thanks!!!
    Jamie O'Brien

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Labdanum Clear from P&N - worth it?

Jamie, find Dimitris Nyktaris on Facebook to buy raw labdanum and make your own resinoid.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    Jamie, find Dimitris Nyktaris on Facebook to buy raw labdanum and make your own resinoid.
    Wow, His price per gram is pretty good Paul! I tried ordering 100gr but PayPal says "things don't appear to be working. . ." so I'll try again another day I guess. I sent him a message via FB.

Do you just warm the resin and dissolve it in IPM to make your own resinoid?
    Jamie O'Brien

I have q lqbdanum tincture at 60% alcohol and 40 water it is fine. Never tried I'm. But my next project is to distill it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Currently wearing: Y by Yves Saint Laurent

Basenotes Plus

Don't know about solubility for Labdanum raw resin into IPM... I've only used alcohol...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

I have Labdanum Absolute & it easily dissolves in IPM. The smell is unbelievably gorgeous but it is dark brown. I've never heard of a clear labdanum before. My guess is that it is Cistus (Rockrose) essential oil from the plant & not the actual resin. The EO has an entirely different scent profile. The two are not interchangeable IMO...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basenotes Junkie

Eden botanicals has clear labdanum absolute that is delicious- and easily dissolves in ethanol- the labdanum resinoid is extremely sticky, hard to dissolve and the aroma is less developed- almost a bit raw. I don’t remember which US perfume supply retailer I bought it from. I think it will be useful still- it probably isn’t as strong , so for a softer touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolieo View Post
    Eden botanicals has clear labdanum absolute that is delicious- and easily dissolves in ethanol- the labdanum resinoid is extremely sticky, hard to dissolve and the aroma is less developed- almost a bit raw. I donít remember which US perfume supply retailer I bought it from. I think it will be useful still- it probably isnít as strong , so for a softer touch.
    When you say is "clear" do you mean clear as in it has no color? Or clear as in it's not opaque? I went to their website to check it out & it says the appearance is a medium to dark brown or red viscous sticky substance with the consistency of honey. But yet they also say it's clear. I'm so confused?

Basenotes Junkie

Mine is clear no color- not cloudy- but I bought the dilution too - so I’ll check tomorrow- it’s out in my shop and it’s pouring and ( Florida)- a chilly 60f

If I m not wrong. There is labdanum Eo distilled from the resins. Or labdanum absolute which can co.e from the flower itself . The absolute.(again, if I m not wrong , is the most gentle, clear light yellowish color)

Yeah. Now I am a bit confused too

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Currently wearing: Y by Yves Saint Laurent

This whole topic has me so intrigued...I emailed my friend who lives in Greece. He works as massage therapist/aromatherapist. I asked him about this & he gave me some information (that actually confused me even further!).

Basically he said that people use the names labdanum/cistus & rock rose interchangeably. But it's his understanding that when they refer to labdanum, they are referring to the resin & cistus or rock rose refers to essential oils or extracts made from the plant matter. He's not very familiar with absolutes because he doesn't use them. But he said that the flowers themselves have no smell & only bloom for a few hours in the morning and then wither and die with the afternoon sun. He said sometimes they are picked & used in omlettes or salads & they have a slight peppery taste.

I checked the SDS on Eden Botanicals for the Labdanum Absolute Clear & it states that the physical characteristic is a brown or red sticky viscous material. Nothing in that description leads me to believe that it is clear, which only contributes to my confusion.

I'd love to hear from people that have used this material & get their input as well. Normally I would just purchase a small amount to test out myself, but I'm tapped out right now. Definitely following this post though!

Last edited by Darren Alan; 19th April 2021 at 01:37 AM.

Interesting that the blossom has no scent! I went ahead and ordered the so called clear labdanum from PA. I'll attach a photo when it arrives . I'm surprised the SDS says brown color.

I also ordered the raw resin from a place called Soma Luna. I've never bought from them before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren Alan View Post
    This whole topic has me so intrigued...I emailed my friend who lives in Greece. He works as massage therapist/aromatherapist. I asked him about this & he gave me some information (that actually confused me even further!).

Basically he said that people use the names labdanum/cistus & rock rose interchangeably. But it's his understanding that when they refer to labdanum, they are referring to the resin & cistus or rock rose refers to essential oils or extracts made from the plant matter. He's not very familiar with absolutes because he doesn't use them. But he said that the flowers themselves have no smell & only bloom for a few hours in the morning and then wither and die with the afternoon sun. He said sometimes they are picked & used in omlettes or salads & they have a slight peppery taste.

I checked the SDS on Eden Botanicals for the Labdanum Absolute Clear & it states that the physical characteristic is a brown or red sticky viscous material. Nothing in that description leads me to believe that it is clear, which only contributes to my confusion.

I'd love to hear from people that have used this material & get their input as well. Normally I would just purchase a small amount to test out myself, but I just imported some Rose de Mai absolute from France, so my materials budget is pretty much shot for the next month or two! Definitely following this post though!

Jamie O'Brien

Quote Originally Posted by Lisieux View Post
    Interesting that the blossom has no scent! I went ahead and ordered the so called clear labdanum from PA. I'll attach a photo when it arrives . I'm surprised the SDS says brown color.

I also ordered the raw resin from a place called Soma Luna. I've never bought from them before.
    Let us know what you discover! I have ordered from Soma Luna before (dried herbs & resins, not oils) but they seemed to be high quality & their customer service was quite good!

Jamie O'Brien

Sorry it's not rotated.

Well, I guess 'clear' means something else.
    Jamie O'Brien

It means you can see through it, it's not opaque, a different question from being colorless.

And not that it's an important point, but P&N stands for "Pure and Natural" rather than being the manufacturer. In this case, the manufacturer is Vieille.

I did once learn the exact correct meaning of this term but have forgotten. The point may be that material could be pure but synthetic, or could be natural but not pure. E.g., the Rose "Absolute" sold by PA may be natural, but I do not think it is pure (that is to say, it appears to contain non-rose materials) or various other naturals which might have all their aromamaterials from the named source, say it might be all bergamot eo in terms of aromamaterials, might have say a trace of BHT added and then it would not be P&N.

I hope I will be corrected if that is wrong. It comes from having understood it once, but then having to try to piece together again.

That looks just like the Labdanum Absolute from Liberty Natural Products. Maybe they were referring to the fact that it comes in a clear bottle?

With that particular photography one can't tell that it has good clarity and one can see through it.

Or at least that is the case with mine. The above photo does appear opaque but that could be the photography.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Roberts View Post
    It means you can see through it, it's not opaque, a different question from being colorless.

And not that it's an important point, but P&N stands for "Pure and Natural" rather than being the manufacturer. In this case, the manufacturer is Vieille.

I did once learn the exact correct meaning of this term but have forgotten. The point may be that material could be pure but synthetic, or could be natural but not pure. E.g., the Rose "Absolute" sold by PA may be natural, but I do not think it is pure (that is to say, it appears to contain non-rose materials) or various other naturals which might have all their aromamaterials from the named source, say it might be all bergamot eo in terms of aromamaterials, might have say a trace of BHT added and then it would not be P&N.

I hope I will be corrected if that is wrong. It comes from having understood it once, but then having to try to piece together again.
    Good point Bill. Very true. Clear does not necessarily mean colorless. Also, in the end any cloudy bits will likely be filtered from the finished perfume anyway. Is there even a reason to go for the clear version other than just preferring the aroma over other labdanum materials?

I don't know a reason other than preferring the effect on aroma when that's the case.