Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Say "hello" to an OLD FOOL! ( i.e. A DUMB ASS) regarding "VERMEIL" Cologne.

Arrrrrr!

Hi all. OK, a Month or so ago, I had purchased a bottle (80% full) of one of my all time favorite (now vintage) Colognes MPG "Eau des Iles" from a BN member. All's beautiful.
    Generously included inside the package of "Eau des Iles" were FIVE (UN-marked) decants of Fragrances with separate (UN-attached) labels.
    By using the process of elimination (and much Internet research) I THOUGHT I had successfully managed to I.D. one of the five decants which I found to be OUTSTANDING!

All this time (all of my posting) regarding my MIND BLOWING LOVE affair I was having with (what I ASSumed) was "Vermeil" today turned out to be a BIG SHOCK! I finally today received my TWO bottles of "Vermeil" in the Mail. I excitedly sprayed some "Vermeil" onto my Person from this brand new bottle and WTF ? I took me about a mil-second to realize, Ooooh NO! "Vermeil" was NOT the Fragrance I fell in LOVE with (that was in the UN-labeled decant bottle). Now, I am NOT going to freak out as "Vermeil" Cologne is nice in it's own right and the price I paid for TWO bottles of "Vermeil" was not costly. At any rate, I want to publicly APOLOGIZE to all members who (due to my enthusiasm) purchased "Vermeil" on my word. I "should of/would of/could of" exercised more caution until I was absolutely certain I knew which "MYSTERY" Fragrance was in that unmarked decant. Mind you, "Vermeil" (especially at it's price point) IS indeed a good Fragrance (imho) that I believe will not disappoint. However, the question begs, WHAT the Hell is the MYSTERY Fragrance that I'm completely "Head over Heels" for that started me down this Rabbit Hole ? By using (once again) the process of elimination, I THINK it HAS to be either of the following two Fragrances :

ELSHA 1776

or

LES COPAINS.

I do NOT believe it would be MPG CENTAURE nor MUSKY (a homemade brew) or "VERMEIL".

Oooh Man, this process is going to be fun!

SixCats!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Say "hello" to an OLD FOOL! ( i.e. A DUMB ASS) regarding "VERMEIL" Cologne.

Mistakes happen all the time. It's normal.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: Say "hello" to an OLD FOOL! ( i.e. A DUMB ASS) regarding "VERMEIL" Cologne.

You owe me one SixCats.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar Guy View Post
    You owe me one SixCats.
    Man, do I feel like a fool! However, now, the flip side is, I won't be able to sleep at night wondering what the Hell is the "Mystery" Cologne (decant) Arrrrrrr!

Ya know, the funny thing is, I SHOULD of known, I should of known that the "Mystery" Fragrance being so OUTSTANDING couldn't possibility be a HIGHLY DISCOUNTED (almost giving it away) Fragrance as it is MUCH too good (Niche like). Come on GREG, help me out here!

SixCats!

Common Lackey

What kind of monster sends you five unmarked vials?

Les Copains Homme smells like vintage Yatagan, if that helps.

Well I have Vermeil and never considered it anything great.... maybe need more wearings. But then I think Declaration is great and you wouldn't wear it!!! So no way I could predict if Vermeil is outstanding or acceptable!!!! It does seem rare enough that it could be one of those that are excellent regardless of price....

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    LOL, I'm a bit at a loss. I however can't really complain as (due to this BN member) I have now been reunited with one of my all time favorite Fragrances MPG "Eau des Iles" after nearly fifteen years of searching! Still, I MUST find out what the heck is this "MYSTERY" Cologne!

SixCats!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Hi Bigsly,

Thanks. I have indeed heard/read that Les Copains smells something like vintage Yatagan. Unless I was (mistakenly) thrown a curve, I suspect ELSHA 1776 Cologne (judging from it's notes) MAY be the "Mystery" Fragrance. I have contacted the ELSHA company and asked if they may have samples. I sure hope so as I would hate to "blind buy" a fifty dollar (plus) bottle of UNknown Cologne only to have it NOT be the "Mystery" Fragrance.

SixCats!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Maybe that's why SC likes it so much. Isn't vintage Yatagan one of his favorite fragrances ever? Or am I thinking of someone else?
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Quote Originally Posted by woodnotes55 View Post
    Well I have Vermeil and never considered it anything great.... maybe need more wearings. But then I think Declaration is great and you wouldn't wear it!!! So no way I could predict if Vermeil is outstanding or acceptable!!!! It does seem rare enough that it could be one of those that are excellent regardless of price....
    Woods,

That's the entire point. While Vermeil is an ok Fragrance (especially considering the cheap price) it is definitely NOT the "Mystery" (unlabeled) Fragrance decant I IMMEDIATELY went NUTZ over! I'll get to the bottom of this Mystery yet!

SixCats!

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    Maybe that's why SC likes it so much. Isn't vintage Yatagan one of his favorite fragrances ever? Or am I thinking of someone else?
    Hi RR,

I do indeed LOVE "Yatagan"! I have a "back up" bottle that I purchased last year (at an over inflated price) when it was rumored that it was being discontinued.
    However, the "Mystery" Fragrance/Decant (it's NOT Vermeil) is SUPER POWERFUL! Dark, Rich and wonderful in my World. I'm pretty sure it would NOT be "Les Copains".
    The "Mystery" Fragrance is truly STRONGER than SMN "Acqua di Cuba", YSL Kouros (original), MPG "Eau des Iles" etc. I'm not very good at describing Notes but, it's DARK like Tobacco, Wood, Leather. EXTREMELY Manly!

SixCats!

Hello you old fool..

Quote Originally Posted by Foamywax View Post
    Hello you old fool..
    LOL, Hey Foamy! Thanks for saying "Hello" to an old fool!

I will get to the bottom of this "Mystery Fragrance" if it's the last thing I do!

SixCats!

Quote Originally Posted by SixCats View Post
    LOL, Hey Foamy! Thanks for saying "Hello" to an old fool!

I will get to the bottom of this "Mystery Fragrance" if it's the last thing I do!

SixCats!
    Good luck with that!

Yikes!

Walks, non-chalantly towards the door, whistling "Too Busy Thinking 'Bout My Baby, Ain't Got Time For Nothing Else".

Seriously, chores & errands.... I will be back.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wanna Shop? --> Buzier's Sales

MY TOP SHELF: Azzaro pH, Bel Ami, Blackbird, Blend 30, Cuba, Davidoff '84, Derby, Edition, Equipage, Jules, Knize Ten, Kouros, Leather Oud, Puredistance M, Santal Noble, Tribute Attar, Yatagan
    Currently wearing: Jules by Christian Dior

I’m not old, I’m vintage.

From what you described when you thought it was Vermeil, my money is on Elsha 1776.

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    Yikes!

Walks, non-chalantly towards the door, whistling "Too Busy Thinking 'Bout My Baby, Ain't Got Time For Nothing Else".
    Oh my god, are you the mystery vial man, Greg?!? Who would have ever guessed that such a great guy could have such an evil streak in him??

Elsha 1776 fits that description well, and if it's on one of the labels that fell off the vials you sampled, then I'd say it almost has to be it. It is indeed a classy manly cologne.

Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Yikes!

Seriously, chores & errands.... I will be back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJSTBNTac6k

Greg, don't leave me "HANGING!" I MUST figure out what is "THE MYSTERY" FRAGRANCE!

SixCats!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    From what you described when you thought it was Vermeil, my money is on Elsha 1776.
    Hi PS,

Using the process of elimination and reviews/research, I too agree with you. I'm betting too it is going to turn out to be ELSHA 1776. If so, I need to find out if it is Vermeil "Aftershave" or Vermeil "Cologne". I'm still wondering why I assumed the Fragrance in question was "Vermeil" as opposed to ELSHA ? I suspect it has something to do with the many reviews I've read saying that "Vermeil" was a POWERHOUSE Fragrance (which today, it is NOT). While not a bad Fragrance, today's "Vermeil" is (imho) NOT that strong and (at least on me) has very short Legs. I have no idea what vintage "Vermeil" vintage was like back in the day. To my Nose/Mind, today's "Vermeil's" quality is somewhat like many BOGART Fragrances (BOGART being the better House imho). LOL, Well, I now own TWO bottles of "Vermeil". I rather like the packaging and I'm actually ok with the "Funky" Lighter bottle. I really can't complain as "Vermeil" will no doubt prove to be a "let me spray on something" dumb reach/easy choice. Lucky for me, I spent only twenty six dollars (shipping including if memory serves) for the TWO bottles of "Vermeil" so, all in all, it was not a bad deal at all. Now, "onward and upward" to "The MYSTERY" Fragrance!

SixCats!

Quote Originally Posted by Dunedain View Post
    Elsha 1776 fits that description well, and if it's on one of the labels that fell off the vials you sampled, then I'd say it almost has to be it. It is indeed a classy manly cologne.
    Hi Dune,

Yep! I'm leaning ELSHA 1776. Ooh, the labels didn't fall off. The five labels were never attached/fixed to the decants to begin with. The labels were in a separate lil' plastic envelope. The five "decants" were ALL a Mystery to me in the sense that I had to/try my best to figure which Name/Label was correct for each Decant. Three of the five I got right. Two (I think) I got backwards/flipped. We shall see! All in all, it was somewhat fun and not only did it give me "something" to do, it created an entire new Chapter/experience my falling deeper down the "Rabbit Hole" of Fragrances. No doubt a few others joined me lol.

https://www.claudialamoreaux.com/rabbit-hole-this-way/

COME ON IN! It's AWESOME down here! Seriously! You'll LOVE it down here!

SixCats!

I get the impression that ELSHA 1776 of today is something that someone distills out of their home in the bathroom.
    I just don’t trust it.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Sorry if what I’m about to send, in the manner I mean it and the manner I wish it to be understood, offends anybody…™

Uh oh! It's been some time and I've not done it alot... but, yes, I did send out some unmarked 'goodies' along with the unattached labels. Not only to Sir SixCats! but also another BNr (I'll pm him separately). A puzzle if you will (who doesn't like a good puzzle?) but, unlike the past, this time I forgot to remember to number the vials and keep a record of which number went with which label. Duh! I guess I considered the 5 so disparate in essence when I was putting it all together, kinda like a kid's 5 piece puzzle (hehe, cough).

So, I'm simply gonna re-send the goods with the labels attached. Easy Peasy... No sweat wutsoever!

As for all the Vermeil buying... you old cats are gonna <learn to> dig it the most! We all do!

…Sorry if what I sent, in the manner I meant it and the manner I wished it to be understood, offended anybody. Also, pardon any psych-projections.™
    Wanna Shop? --> Buzier's Sales

MY TOP SHELF: Azzaro pH, Bel Ami, Blackbird, Blend 30, Cuba, Davidoff '84, Derby, Edition, Equipage, Jules, Knize Ten, Kouros, Leather Oud, Puredistance M, Santal Noble, Tribute Attar, Yatagan
    Currently wearing: Jules by Christian Dior

Basenotes Plus

Lol, I thought I correctly identified all 4 I got as well. I got 1 for sure, 1 very strongly seems correct, and the other 2 I'm assuming. I'm fairly confident I got them right. A fun game/puzzle too!
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

So, I'm simply gonna re-send the goods with the labels attached. Easy Peasy... No sweat wutsoever!