Code of Conduct
    Banned

Default Thoughts on Gris Clair

Rarely discussed much anymore, like many serge lutens. What does the group think about gris Clair now in 2021?

I recently wore a sample I forgot I had, and enjoyed it.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Thoughts on Gris Clair

Have always liked it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Was a really fantastic scent, but the new bottle reformulation is cheap trash and a huge disappointment if you've smelled the old versions.

When I first smelled it 10 years ago it smelled decent. I recalled it wasn't as good when I smelled it 2 years ago.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I concur. This has been reformulated quite badly. When I tried it first around 10 years ago, it had a great lavender-meets-steam accord, which reminded me of freshly ironed shirts. I bought the recent travel spray version of the fragrance, and now it's just another bog standard, if pleasant, freshie lavender scent.

...ended in my GF wardrobe... too sweet for me!
    FREE AS THE WIND!

I love the original version. It was my first SL. Based on everything I've read, I have no interest in even trying the current version.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

It's a nice ashy-sweet lavender. Steam iron, electric heater (ClaireV) notes are spot on.
    I like Encens et Lavande more.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    It's a nice ashy-sweet lavender. Steam iron, electric heater (ClaireV) notes are spot on.
    I like Encens et Lavande more.
    Nice description! I love Gris Clair.

I agree that E&L is more refined, with a bit of watery/airy feeling. But also way more expensive, as it was part of the bell jar collection right from the start.

Dependent

An all time favourite of mine. Superb in Autumn but then it was reformulated (reform = square bottle; original = tall rectangular bottle) before I was able to replace my nearly empty bottle of the original. It was a fragrance that held significant sentimental value for me as well, due to a life event, so I’m incredibly sad it was changed.

I have the tall rectangle bottle. Not sure if it’s a reform or the original formulation. Unique and simple incense-lavender that I wear sometimes to relax. I like it a lot.
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Jcelello View Post
    I have the tall rectangle bottle. Not sure if it’s a reform or the original formulation. Unique and simple incense-lavender that I wear sometimes to relax. I like it a lot.
    Yes, that’s the original.

The most mainstream Serge Lutens for me. It strongly reminds me of any cheap designer I can’t put my fingers on. Joop! Homme without the sweetness came to my mind but it’s not it. It’s not listed on Fragrantica either. Many people downvote designers that smell alike any expensive niche fragrance they like.
    The new system is better cause even being downvoted the similars are still being shown.
    Very far from being worth a bottle for me.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.
    Currently wearing: Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by broguesforsir View Post
    Yes, that’s the original.
    These are the old exportation bottles. Not sure if it has ever been available in bell jars.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Coming from a fan of lavender and generally, a fan of Lutens - I think it’s dreadful. Lavender with a poorly grounded outlet and its attendant plastic wiring in a state of short and melt. A pinch of hair stuck in the heating element of a blow dryer for good measure.

My top 100 Lutens lavenders:

1) Encens et Lavande

2) Fourreau Noir

3-5) some I probably don’t know

6) L’Eau de Paille (not even very lavendery, mostly smells like Frosted Flakes)

7-98) blind date turns out to be Ann Coulter

99) MMM’Bop on repeat forever

100) Gris Clair

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    Coming from a fan of lavender and generally, a fan of Lutens - I think it’s dreadful. Lavender with a poorly grounded outlet and its attendant plastic wiring in a state of short and melt. A pinch of hair stuck in the heating element of a blow dryer for good measure.

1) Encens et Lavande

2) Fourreau Noir

100) Gris Clair
    Actually it’s a scrubber for me. Encens et Lavande, on the other hand...

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

1) Encens et Lavande

2) Fourreau Noir

100) Gris Clair
    Interesting, I didn't care much for Fourreau Noir.

Encens et Lavande is wonderful, there is a big distance between that and the others.

I've been on a lavender kick recently, and need to buy Encens et Lavande as I have run out of it.

Blog Entries

Never smelled it, but looks like something I wouldn't like.
    All Time Top 10: Fahrenheit, Fahrenheit Absolute, Corduroy, Seduction in Black, Itasca, Arpege pH, Burberry London, Spark Seduction, Paul Smith Man, Eau des Baux

Common Lackey

A pinch of hair stuck in the heating element of a blow dryer for good measure.
    Possibly my most detested smell ever.

100) Gris Clair
    LOL!

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    These are the old exportation bottles. Not sure if it has ever been available in bell jars
    That’s correct. I don’t recall it ever being in a bell jar but I could be wrong.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    Actually it’s a scrubber for me. Encens et Lavande, on the other hand...
    E&L is nice; definitely softer, easier and less ‘challenging’ probably than the original Gris Clair. I have a few lavender-centric fragrances that treat the note in various ways but nevertheless in a more conventional sense, so Gris Clair fills a nice area for me by employing it in a more unusual setting. I can see how some people wouldn’t care for it though, for sure.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    I love the original version. It was my first SL. Based on everything I've read, I have no interest in even trying the current version.
    It was my first SL as well, years ago. I’ve never picked up a steam iron/kettle/electric heater vibe that has been attributed to it in some reviews but I guess it depends on one’s experiences.

For me, the original, with that cold, sharp freshness with just a few whisps of smoke, juxtaposed with the sweet warming tonka and what smells like a hint of cinnamon, calls to mind a crisp, sunny Autumn morning, colours on the trees against a blue sky, and the smell of sweet muffins, Danish pastries and pancakes drenched in maple syrup wafting by. For me, it’s superb when worn on a morning like that.

While not raking this among the Lutens (both vintage and current ones) yet, still ranking this in any version among the solidly crafted examples from the SL house
    Currently wearing: Bogart by Jacques Bogart

Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    I concur. This has been reformulated quite badly. When I tried it first around 10 years ago, it had a great lavender-meets-steam accord, which reminded me of freshly ironed shirts. I bought the recent travel spray version of the fragrance, and now it's just another bog standard, if pleasant, freshie lavender scent.
    I too tried it about 10 years ago and I remember that impression of heat + lavender, it was surprisingly wonderful and I could see how lovely it would be to wear on a cold day. It's a pity that it seems as if it no longer has that element?