Code of Conduct
    Banned

Default Brigardee Concentree

JCE creation. Smells nice. Any other fans?

Default Re: Brigardee Concentree

I liked it well enough other than the way Ellena makes perfume that just isn't pleasant to my nose.

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like it a lot. I like Cologne Bigarade too. I couldn't decide which I liked more, actually, but I wasn't won over enough by either to commit to a bottle. In fact, both reminded me of how much I like Declaration... but again, not quite enough to own it.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Boy Chanel
    Endymion
    Royal Oud
    Rose 31
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Reflection Man
    Green Irish Tweed
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Interlude Man
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Aqua Universalis
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Pomelo Paradis
    Amouage Silver Man
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    "Live in the moment. Never count on longevity." --Yeasayer

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Own and love it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

In my list to buy

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Zadig & Voltaire This is Him!
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

It reminds me cumin, it's not an official note but it sure smells like it.. It's okay not one of my favorites.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

I prefer Boyardee Concentre
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

One of my favorites. Orange and hay. Fantastic in the early fall months.

Liking it enough to consider this among the better JCE creations and also to eventually consider a future purchase at some point

Lovely and very classy fragrance, but I hear the whole line has been reformulated and is a shadow of what it once was; considering the price, I wouldn't repurchase.

This is completely untrue and I'm so sick of hearing it. People who claim this really don't know what they are talking about and I wonder if they have even smelled a Malle in their life or are just stirring up conspiracy theories cuz they're bored and cynical.

Anyway, I bought a bottle this summer and it smells great and just like my 6 year old sample.

Fantastic scent, at this point it's an absolute classic. I get great longevity, especially for a citrus fragrance. The spicy nuances that JCE incorporates last all day for me.

I've never tried the regular Bigarade, I only have the concentree. I wonder if it is brighter and even better for hot weather as Concentree which I find actually kind of warm smelling with all the spices and most appropriate for fall and spring more than full on summer.

Quote Originally Posted by thespark View Post
    Lovely and very classy fragrance, but I hear the whole line has been reformulated and is a shadow of what it once was; considering the price, I wouldn't repurchase.

Excellent summer fragrance. I think this is probably my second favorite JCE after Cuir d’Ange.

Quote Originally Posted by cheapimitation View Post
    This is completely untrue and I'm so sick of hearing it. People who claim this really don't know what they are talking about and I wonder if they have even smelled a Malle in their life or are just stirring up conspiracy theories cuz they're bored and cynical.

Anyway, I bought a bottle this summer and it smells great and just like my 6 year old sample.

Fantastic scent, at this point it's an absolute classic. I get great longevity, especially for a citrus fragrance. The spicy nuances that JCE incorporates last all day for me.

I've never tried the regular Bigarade, I only have the concentree. I wonder if it is brighter and even better for hot weather as Concentree which I find actually kind of warm smelling with all the spices and most appropriate for fall and spring more than full on summer.
    Well, due EU regulations becoming increasingly more strict regarding the use of certain materials, ALL fragrances from the past few years have been reformulated to some degree, that is a fact. I have tried and owned several, and I recently acquired a sample of Portrait of a Lady from Nose Paris, and I can wholeheartedly say that it smells different from the bottle I bought circa 2012 - so there's that. I own Bigarade and love it, but I'll definitely sample it before I rebuy it when I run out.

Well, due EU regulations becoming increasingly more strict regarding the use of certain materials, ALL fragrances from the past few years have been reformulated to some degree, that is a fact. I have tried and owned several, and I recently acquired a sample of Portrait of a Lady from Nose Paris, and I can wholeheartedly say that it smells different from the bottle I bought circa 2012 - so there's that. I own Bigarade and love it, but I'll definitely sample it before I rebuy it when I run out.
    That is absolutely not a fact.

Big like when I sampled. But since I own Terre d‘Hermès Eau Très fraîche, I find it a bit redundant, especially at that price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cheapimitation View Post

I think Malle has had reformulations, but the claims are very exaggerated. I also know first hand that maceration issues have become commonplace with Malle, new bottles start to smell much closer to what "they were" or "supposed to be" once someone has been using a bottle regularly over a month. My Musc Ravageur bottle bought in 2017 from retail changed in colour from a very pale yellow to a deep colour over 1-2 years. I also think Carnal Flower now has a strong musk note that wasn't there earlier, but the rest of the scent profile is the same as circa 2013. I bought a bottle of Vetiver Extraordinaire from retail in 2016, and sold it off quickly as I felt it was a 'shadow of its former self'. In 2018 I bought another bottle from a Basenoter (and this isn't vintage) that was 90% full. This one is amazing, and absolutely no difference to what I smelled Vetiver Extraordinaire to be in 2013/14. I would say that of all the ones I've tried over time, only French Lover is somewhat different to my nose, and I liked how it smelled in 2013/14. This maceration issue is also there with Parfums MDCI, but didn't use to be before 2015/16.

Anyways, I think with reformulations it is best to trust one's nose rather than one's eyes, and not jump to hasty conclusions.

On the thread topic, I'm planning to get Bigarade Concentree sooner rather than later. It is why I sold off Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche (which is a nice scent itself).
    Last edited by freewheelingvagabond; 19th April 2021 at 06:08 PM. Reason: typo

I agree with Freewheeling's comments. People really do play up the significance of the Malle reformulations, but I don't agree with how drastic they are made out to be. I have experience with several from the line in their early formulations. Most of what I own from the line now are recent formulations. I detect some differences in a couple, particularly Musc Ravageur, but not much. Mind you, I have not done side-by-side comparisons. IMHO, the current formulations are great. For those that I have experienced the original formulations, the current have scent profile, depth, and performance on par with the original. I have also noticed clear changes in depth and performance over several months in FM bottles I purchased brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcelello View Post
    I agree with Freewheeling's comments. People really do play up the significance of the Malle reformulations, but I don't agree with how drastic they are made out to be. I have experience with several from the line in their early formulations. Most of what I own from the line now are recent formulations. I detect some differences in a couple, particularly Musc Ravageur, but not much. Mind you, I have not done side-by-side comparisons. IMHO, the current formulations are great. For those that I have experienced the original formulations, the current have scent profile, depth, and performance on par with the original. I have also noticed clear changes in depth and performance over several months in FM bottles I purchased brand new.

Gonna pile on to freewheeling/Jcelello's comments and say that formulation differences are minimal. Even side by side comparisons with vintage and new bottles shows little differences for most (not all) of the FM perfumes; generally in top notes I find. I know when I have asked people before, especially in blind tests, they have had difficulty saying which is vintage and what is new. I agree that you should give your bottles some time to "mature" and open up : the new reformulated versions of the classic Malles are still excellent perfumes. It always makes me laugh when people talk about the reformulated versions of things like MR, or POAL, or CL being like water and having no sillage/longevity

My personal conspiracy is that people make these reformulation differences out to be a much bigger deal than they are so that they can sell their old bottles with a "vintage premium".

Amazing scent, but just doesn't last long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by leor_77 View Post
    This.
    Currently wearing: Himalaya by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by leor_77 View Post
    Similar for me. Found it to be a “weak” Hermes Voyage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought this one got incredibly synthetic after about 30 minutes. That first burst of orange rind is amazing. To be fair I'm not a huge fan of Ellena's style of perfumery.

Basenotes Plus

Love it, but have never owned a bottle. No reason why. It's always on my radar, though.
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood