Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Fragrances your Dad wore

I don't like my father very much.
    But! He did wear cologne so that's a good thing right there. Growing up in New Mexico and then Greece these are the fragrances he has worn.
    Chaps. The ugliest bottle. A scent I don't like. I suppose there weren't many options back in the early 80's
    This is not a good start. I'm not a cowboy and neither was my father. We owned a diner. Some things are better left in the past. Chaps should be left there.
    Drakkar. It was everywhere back then. I thought it smelled amazing. I found a 200 ml bottle on the street last year.
    I gave it to him as a gift. He wasn't impressed.
    1992... Safari.Oh yes now this was a huge improvement. Gorgeous whiskey type bottle. Gorgeous scent. Better than the female version he bought for my mom.
    Cerutti 1881. Hmm I didn't really care for this back then but he liked it. I never wore it when I saw his bottle.
    Joop rococo. How he bought and wore this remains a mystery but I loved it and the bottle. It was not a success.
    Nautica blue. If you open a dictionary and search for the words "generic and cheap" you will find a bottle of this pictured. How he liked this remains a mystery.
    I could ask ofcourse but we don't talk much.
    Ralph Lauren Romance. Hmm not bad but nothing mind-blowing either. I would wear it again though. Discontinued
    Calvin Klein sued Ralph Lauren for stealing the bottle and concept of Eternity apparently.
    Trussardi Uomo (new version). Now this I like. I even bought it because I thought it smelled so good.
    Not the success Trussardi was hoping for but not a flop either. People call it generic but I love it.
    Looking back now I'm disappointed in my father's fragrance collection. No Chanel no Dior no Creed or Frederic malle.. no L 'artisan. Ok that's stretching things a bit but I'm disappointed in him.

Default Re: Fragrances your Dad wore

I got some of my frag addiction and "stylin" from my dad no doubt.

But all my memories of his scents were in the infancy of designer frags as we now know them.

He had stuff like ENGLISH LEATHER and BRITISH STERLING. I think he eschewed OLD SPICE as too "old mannish." He wore one with an Italian name which escapes me.

Though scents like ARAMIS, GEURLAIN VETIVER and HABIT ROUGE were I guess available, he would have found those pretentious and over priced...maybe only available at Saks Fifth Avenue.

I found out when he died he developed a fondness for BOUCHERON JAIPUR and I still have his last bottle
    I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.
    Currently wearing: No. 89 by Floris

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post

But all my memories of his scents were in the infancy of designer frags as we now know them.

He had stuff like ENGLISH LEATHER and BRITISH STERLING. I think he eschewed OLD SPICE as too "old mannish." He wore one with an Italian name which escapes me.

Though scents like ARAMIS, GEURLAIN VETIVER and HABIT ROUGE were I guess available, he would have found those pretentious and over priced...maybe only available at Saks Fifth Avenue.

I found out when he died he developed a fondness for BOUCHERON JAIPUR and I still have his last bottle
    Fantastic!

My dad never wore much other than Brut from Wal-Mart. He might have been better off than me as a result. Who knows?

Current Favorites:
    Guerlain Vetiver, Missoni Parfum Pour Homme, Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense, Lalique Pour Homme EDP, Cartier Declaration

I’m not old, I’m vintage.

I like my dad a lot, but I’ve never been terribly conscious of his fragrances. I know he’s worn Acqua di Parma Colonia. I don’t know if he still does. It’s never come up in conversation.
    Currently wearing: Cellini by Fabergé

My grandfather wears Hermes - Concentré d'Orange, exclusively, since I can remember.
    However, my dad I am bit unsure but I think he wore Dior Eau Sauvage.

I never even saw a bottle of after shave, and he definitely never wore any EdT. I'm sure he must have used some kind of deodorant but I have no recollection of it - or of him applying any kind of cosmetic product, be it lip balm, hand cream or whatever. Anything but shampoo and toothpaste would have been "unnecessary".
    Spray less, love more.

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar

I wish I knew what fragrance my father wore. He died when I was a little kid, in the mid 1980s.

Days after his death, I snuck into the spare room he used as a home office and I sat on the floor, in front of his desk where I'd found his watch. I sat on the floor, holding it. I remember how strongly it smelled like him. Maybe he wore a splash cologne, or maybe he sprayed his wrists. I don't know. All I know is, his watch smelled like whatever fragrance he wore. I remember sitting there and smelling it, and for just a moment, it felt like he wasn't really gone. But of course he was.

I regret not taking his watch that day. No one would have noticed it was missing. I also regret not finding whatever fragrance he wore and snatching that too. Actually, if I'd asked my stepmother, she'd have gladly given me both. But when you're a little kid, you have no way of knowing what might matter to you decades later.

The watch and the fragrance were both probably cheap. We were on the lower end of middle class, but at that age I had no concept of money. I thought we were rich.

Part of me wants to be that guy - a guy with a true signature scent. My dad only wore one fragrance. The smell of it was the smell of him.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Boy Chanel
    Endymion
    Royal Oud
    APOM
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Opus 1870
    Reflection Man
    Prada L'Homme
    Tabac Rouge
    Interlude Man
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Aqua Celestia
    Green Irish Tweed
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    "Live in the moment. Never count on longevity." --Yeasayer
    Currently wearing: Boy Chanel by Chanel

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Before my father started a family he told me he used to wear Paco Rabanne Pour Homme. Then some woman he was seeing said, "Are you wearing Paco Rabanne!? I love that!" He later gave it a way because he said he didn't want to wear a fragrance that was common.

Throughout my child hood I remember him having and wearing Eternity for Men and Drakkar Noir.

During that time though his go-to was Santos de Cartier and we'd have to go to a special perfume shop because no one else sold it. This was his signature for years and I remember smelling it when I was in college. That stuff was really good. He also wore vintage Trussardi Uomo all the way into the 2000s.

Currently he wears:

Dolce & Gabbana The One
    Polo Blue Sport
    Polo Explorer
    Vintage Trussardi Uomo
    Drakkar Noir

His interest in fragrances is what got me into them.

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

My dad wore:

Shulton Old Spice
    Mennen Millionaire
    Mennen Hawk
    Avon Wild Country
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader
    Currently wearing: Lomani by Lomani

Minotaure
    Insensè
    Brut
    Gucci ph II

All were presents from me or my sister, he was a nothing kind of guy...
    White Light, White Heat!

Basenotes Plus

Jovan Musk, Obsession for Men, Old Spice Aftershave and the original stick deodorant. I remember trying the deodorant for the first time and it stung my armpits from all the alcohol content HA! Still wore it though and you can bet I was the only 15 year old with the aura of Old Spice in my class

“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain

Aramis - Casually
    Halston Z-14 (He was an ER doctor. He wore it a lot when he was working. Texas thing I guess. Smelled good, anyway.)
    Currently wearing: Homeros by Ensar Oud

Banned

Aramis, Azzaro. I also seem to recall a bottle of Obsession but I'm pretty sure it was the female one and thus not my father's.

I dont recall what my dad wore when I was younger, but now he is rocking my niche fragrances!

Loves wearing the likes of Velvet Desert Oud / Rose d'Arabie etc

When I was a child/teenager he was wearing
    Woodhue
    Prosar
    Old Spice
    Azzaro pour Homme
    Paco Rabanne pour Homme
    Kouros
    Fahrenheit
    Jazz

The last few years
    Zino

Thanks for the replies!
    Hmm seeing my own words that I don't like my father very much seems a little harsh.
    I can't imagine a bottle of jaipur Homme ever finding it's way to him..or Habit rouge for that matter..Reading these replies makes me realize that my father is an average Joe kind of person when it came to fragrances BUT..
    I just realized his signature scent was vintage Polo Green!
    I even brought it back for him when I visited the states.
    Does Polo Green still smell the same like it did in the 90's?? What a great scent that was..
    So yay I like him more now haha

Missing Oakmoss

I don't remember my father using anything but Old Spice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    I don't remember my father using anything but Old Spice.
    Well I guess he didn't care for fragrances that much..

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Montana View Post
    When I was a child/teenager he was wearing
    Woodhue
    Prosar
    Old Spice
    Azzaro pour Homme
    Paco Rabanne pour Homme
    Kouros
    Fahrenheit
    Jazz

The last few years
    Zino
    Wow things started to really pick up after the top three!
    I love Zino too.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post

Did he wear the edt or the edp?
    That must have been pricey back then actually. I had bought the metal cased edp back in 2006 and it cost half my weekly paycheck. I gave it to a friend because I got some negative reactions little did I know then. Recently bought it and it's still good and insanely cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Foamywax View Post
    Did he wear the edt or the edp?
    That must have been pricey back then actually. I had bought the metal cased edp back in 2006 and it cost half my weekly paycheck. I gave it to a friend because I got some negative reactions little did I know then. Recently bought it and it's still good and insanely cheap.
    I assume you mean which BOUCHERON JAIPUR version.

It was the EdT. He actually didn't get the JAIPUR until the late 90s or so. But he was not one to have ever embraced the online world in the slightest and the introduction of an EdP version would have left him somewhat confused and suspicious. I'm sure he paid whatever the going department store prices were
    I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.
    Currently wearing: No. 89 by Floris

Was at his house the other day and he still has

Gucci PH I : Told him to use sparingly
    Obsession
    Derek Jeter Driven

He’s worn these all for years. When I was younger it was Brut, Old Spice and then Obsession and Safari
    "Desperation is a stinky cologne."
    --Super Troopers

Blog Entries

The only one mine wore was Monsieur Givenchy. He wore a lot of attars though; khus (pungent vetiver) being his favourite. I "stole" his bottle of Monsieur Givenchy when I was in high school, but never sprayed it - and never will.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

He did not / does not wear anything.
    July Rotation

Allure Homme Sport Cologne / Etruscan Water / Kouros / Insensé / Cuiron / Un Jardin Sur Le Nil
    Le 3me Homme de Caron / Sel Marin / Bes Respiro EdT / Aqua Amara / Acqua di Gio Profumo / Vanille Tonka

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

My dad wore Canoe.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Growing up my dad only wore Brut, nothing else. Now in his later years, I discovered that he has worn Wild Country, Obsession and Calvin Klein Euphoria Gold for special occasions, but still mainly Brut day to day. I bought him a 30ml of Nicolai New York Intense for his birthday a couple of years ago, since he enthusiastically complimented me on it and wanted to know what it was. Not sure if he's ever worn it.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

The ones that come immediately to mind are Brut, Old Spice and Eau Sauvage.
    Currently wearing: Sagamore by Lancôme

My father wore Aramis. He wasn’t a good man. His father(who was a good man) wore Polo & Safari. I loved the bottles as a kid and used to marvel at them on his dresser. Especially the Safari bottle. But I never liked the way it smelled.

My mom’s dad however loved fragrances. His wife died early and he was left to raise 5 girls on his own. He was a big burly man, a WW2 vet, but my mom said he loved women’s fragrances and would wear Chanel n°5, miss Dior, etc. But I mostly remember him wearing Brut & other fougeres as a kid. Eau Suavage as well.

My mom said he would take the girls to the mall & cut them loose, having them meet him back in the perfume section at Macy’s, where he would be having the sales women liberally spray him down with all the perfumes. She said they had to ride home with the windows down
    I definitely get my love of fragrances from him.

Basenotes Institution

Old Spice
    Brut
    Polo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast