Code of Conduct

Default The Problem With Lots of Watches - Watch Batteries

Having lots of watches of all shapes and sizes to match or enhance anything one is wearing is good fun (sort of like owning lots of scents).

But the downside is the cost of changing each watch battery. Down here they often charge A$20 to $25 to change a battery - which may be okay if one only uses a few watches, but seems like a waste of money with a large number of watches that don't get used very often.

So, over the last few weeks I had to get around to a chore I was putting off because I'd had a sore back. I changed the watch batteries on around 40 of my wife's watches, as she said she was getting low on watches to choose from, and I did 25 or so of my own.Eventually, I got into the zone, doing around 10 a night.

Some years back, I bought the tools fairly inexpensively off Ebay for about A$50, and found that changing the majority of watch batteries is a pretty simple exercise - especially if the watches are round. Rectangular watches are simple too, if they aren't too big (I had a couple of disasters with the big ones).

How much does it cost to get a watch battery changed where you live?
    Has anybody else gotten into changing their own batteries?

Regards,
    Renato

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: The Problem With Lots of Watches - Watch Batteries

I change my own batteries. Learned a long time ago, Have the tools. Batteries are cheap as I get mine from a Renata wholesaler.
    Last edited by hednic; 18th April 2021 at 07:12 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Having owned many quartz watches over time-most of whom are still functional- always changing batteries at a trusted watchmaker have collaborated with and even both several watches from for decades.
    While the cost is anywhere between 5-10 USD/EUR per watch, it is counterbalanced by the quality and the longevity of the Swiss batteries he exclusively uses, thus avoiding the unpleasant surprises one might have with cheaper ones.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I change my own batteries. Learned a long time ago, Have the tools. Batteries are cheap as I get mine from a Renata wholesaler.
    Thanks. It's an interesting chore, is it not? Some watches can be a puzzle, and a few have defeated me (so far) in getting them open.

I did ran into a snag changing Casio batteries, which require making contact with a few electrical spots to get them going - I couldn't get the one I was changing for my nephew to go. despite having all the instruction on the internet.
    Cheers,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Having owned many quartz watches over time-most of whom are still functional- always changing batteries at a trusted watchmaker have collaborated with and even both several watches from for decades.
    While the cost is anywhere between 5-10 USD/EUR per watch, it is counterbalanced by the quality and the longevity of the Swiss batteries he exclusively uses, thus avoiding the unpleasant surprises one might have with cheaper ones.
    Good batteries are definitely a plus. However, apart from one batch of batteries I bought that didn't last that long, I haven't had any other downside from using inexpensive ones..
    Regards,
    Renato

I have a far worse problem; my collection consists mainly of mechanical watches, and while I don't have to worry about batteries, my watches eventually require an overhaul each, which is significantly more costly than batteries.

But to your question, I am quit adept at opening my watches and own an arsenal of watchmaking tools. For the few quartz driven watches I own, I have no problem changing batteries, or straps & bracelets for that matter. In fact, I am the one whom my friends often turn to when they want a battery or strap change or adjustment on their watch.
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I am wondering if hednic is changing his own batteries on his fine jewelry watches? I take my Chanel and Tag Heuer watches to a watch repair place that charges $35-$45 but that’s because they need to be sealed to be waterproof and require special tools I’m told. My cheaper fashion watches I can do myself.

Dependent

In the past it has cost me around $20 each.

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    I am wondering if hednic is changing his own batteries on his fine jewelry watches?
    My investment timepieces are either automatic or mechanical, so there are no batteries to change. As for my non-investment fine jewelry timepieces, I have the tools as well to seal the cases after the batteries are changed
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Dependent

Watch batteries aren't a problem if you buy Citizen Eco-Drive watches! I have three, and two automatic (so no batteries there either)
    Currently wearing: R'oud Elements by Kerosene

Quote Originally Posted by Marty McFly View Post
    I have a far worse problem; my collection consists mainly of mechanical watches, and while I don't have to worry about batteries, my watches eventually require an overhaul each, which is significantly more costly than batteries.

But to your question, I am quit adept at opening my watches and own an arsenal of watchmaking tools. For the few quartz driven watches I own, I have no problem changing batteries, or straps & bracelets for that matter. In fact, I am the one whom my friends often turn to when they want a battery or strap change or adjustment on their watch.
    Interesting. I didn't know about the overhauls.

Yes, I forgot to mention the band adjustment/link removal, and changing watch straps. The tools for them are dirt cheap, buying one set more than pays for itself the first time one changes a strap or adjusts link numbers.

Also, one can have a big variety of watch straps and change them over for the same watch to have a different fashion look. It's so easily done - except when the pin sometimes goes flying off somewhere (but i have heaps of spare pins)

Like you, every now and then my brother comes over with a bag of watches from his family, and I change the batteries.
    Cheers,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    In the past it has cost me around $20 each.
    Thanks. US$20 is about A$26 - about the higher end charged down here. Ouch..
    Cheers,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Watch batteries aren't a problem if you buy Citizen Eco-Drive watches! I have three, and two automatic (so no batteries there either)
    They are certainly very nice watches that get around the battery issue (I wouldn't mind one myself), but it's still a problem for people who like a diverse range of watches.
    Cheers,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    I am wondering if hednic is changing his own batteries on his fine jewelry watches? I take my Chanel and Tag Heuer watches to a watch repair place that charges $35-$45 but that’s because they need to be sealed to be waterproof and require special tools I’m told. My cheaper fashion watches I can do myself.
    I remember 20 years ago I bought a nice waterproof watch for A$60.

Eventually the battery died and I went to change it.
    He said, "I can change the battery for $15 for you, but can't guarantee the waterproofing. For that I'd I'd have to send it away to get pressure tested, and that costs A$60"

At which point I decided that this waterproofing business was a joke foisted on the public.
    And when I later started changing batteries, I could see that the waterproofing in the main relied on making sure that the little rubber seal around the case, had to be in the right place when the back cover was closed, or hadn't been broken when removing the back cover.

So now I figure I don't really need to know the time when I'm swimming in water. Though If I had a very expensive waterproof watch which I needed to use underwater, I can see that it would be worthwhile spending the extra money.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    I used to own one but I didn't really care for it. I found that it had difficulty retaining a charge for any respectable amount of time. Supposedly it charges with indoor light but I'm thinking it would have worked better if you spent some time outdoors. Maybe I just had a defective model. It is a great concept, really.

Just some notes to anyone thinking of going my route and changing their own batteries.

1. You want to buy the die sets with both circular and rectangular dies, so that you can do all but the exotic watch shapes.

2. The only watches I've smashed have been large rectangular ones with a curved face - the rectagular die didn't hold them tight enough, and the glass was pushed into the screw holding the rectangular die in place. Solution is to cut some strips of plastic up into rectangular pieces and put them under the die to raise it higher. Alternatively, use a screw case closer rather than the more typical hand-clasp case closer, for more control.

3. Sometimes flipping open a watch cover with a knife or tool, or even using a tool to unscrew the back cover can be difficult. When applying lots of force to a stubborn cover, you may run the risk of slipping with the knife/tool and hitting your palm. For that they sell a little inexpensive square clamp device, which you clamp the watch into using a big screw, thus making it safer to apply more pressure for flipping the cover, or easier to get a better grip when unscrewing the cover.

4. When changing links in watch bands, very often when you look at the back of the links, there are little arrows marked which show the direction you have to push to get the pin out.

5. For a few dollars you can buy a box containg hundreds of different sized sping pins that hold bands to watches. Get one, as inevitably some pins will break or go flying off into the carpet never to be found again.

6. Sometimes it isn't obvious, but some watches with regular hands and with digital display, very often have two batteries - a regular small battery, and a larger CR2016 battery hidden underneath it.

7. You need a magnifier to read the designation wriiten on the small batteries, and Google to find the equivalent designations - I don't know why, but their seem to be three most type common battery designations e.g. the most common battery I change is SR626SW/ 377/ AG4/.

Now you know as much as I do.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 25th April 2021 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Having lots of watches of all shapes and sizes to match or enhance anything one is wearing is good fun (sort of like owning lots of scents).

But the downside is the cost of changing each watch battery. Down here they often charge A$20 to $25 to change a battery - which may be okay if one only uses a few watches, but seems like a waste of money with a large number of watches that don't get used very often.

So, over the last few weeks I had to get around to a chore I was putting off because I'd had a sore back. I changed the watch batteries on around 40 of my wife's watches, as she said she was getting low on watches to choose from, and I did 25 or so of my own.Eventually, I got into the zone, doing around 10 a night.

Some years back, I bought the tools fairly inexpensively off Ebay for about A$50, and found that changing the majority of watch batteries is a pretty simple exercise - especially if the watches are round. Rectangular watches are simple too, if they aren't too big (I had a couple of disasters with the big ones).

How much does it cost to get a watch battery changed where you live?
    Has anybody else gotten into changing their own batteries?

Regards,
    Renato
    Come live in Italy, you can have batteries changed for five euros each!
    FREE AS THE WIND!

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    Come live in Italy, you can have batteries changed for five euros each!
    At the proper watch shops? Or at the Chinese 2 Euro shops?

My cousins there say it costs them anywhere from 15 to 20 euros each where they live.in Italy.

I always take three or four watches over to Italy, in case one battery dies among them.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Nope, proper "orologiaio" in Brescia, at least!
    FREE AS THE WIND!

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    Nope, proper "orologiaio" in Brescia, at least!
    I guess things are dearer out Bassano way.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    When changing links in watch bands, very often when you look at the back of the links, there are little arrows marked which show the direction you have to push to get the pin out.
    On high-end luxury 18K gold bands, this unfortunately is not the case, at least the ones I've dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    On high-end luxury 18K gold bands, this unfortunately is not the case, at least the ones I've dealt with.
    That's pretty astounding.
    I had thought it was only the cheap bands missing that crucial information, and that it would have been essential where soft metal like gold is involved.
    Without the arrows, one is forced to take a 50:50 chance when trying to push the first tapered pin out, that one is pushing in the right direction - which might lead to slight damage if pushing in wrong direction.
    I guess they assume that if you are taking a link out, you can afford to scratch one while figuring it out - and having established the right direction - you can throw out the one you may have scratched.

Or maybe there is a secret convention about which side to push among high end watch repairers that they keep to themselves, in order to discourage do-it-yourselfers.
    Regards,
    Renato

Basenotes Junkie

Advantage of living in asia, costs less than 10 dollars to get a battery change

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
    1. Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    2. Eau D'Hederin by Annick Goutal
    3. Neroli Portofino by Tom ford
    4. Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    5. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    6. Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    7. Scandal by Roja
    8. Sublime Vanille by Creed
    9. Moon Safari by Memo
    10. Pour Homme by Paco Robanne

Quote Originally Posted by satyen View Post
    Advantage of living in asia, costs less than 10 dollars to get a battery change
    At least there is some sanity in prices where you live, and used to think a $10 charge was fair enough.
    Though now that I do my own batteries at 10 to 20 cents a battery, I wouldn't be happy with that price either.
    Cheers,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    I used to own one but I didn't really care for it. I found that it had difficulty retaining a charge for any respectable amount of time. Supposedly it charges with indoor light but I'm thinking it would have worked better if you spent some time outdoors. Maybe I just had a defective model. It is a great concept, really.
    Regarding Eco-Drives charging by indoor lights, their website says,
    "At a distance of 8 inches under a 30W fluorescent light (3,000 illuminance/lux): 40 minutes for 1 day use; 130 hours to full charge"

I guess one would get a pretty sore arm.
    Cheers,
    Renato

As others stated. Just buy mechanical/automatic watches and your problem is solved.
    Don't stank.
    Currently wearing: Qatar by Roja Dove

Quote Originally Posted by wood&leather View Post
    As others stated. Just buy mechanical/automatic watches and your problem is solved.
    Can't see how this would solve the problem.

The only reason people would have the problem is because they like a large range of fashion or other watch styles, and your solution is that they limit themselves to a tiny range of ancient style watches - which aren't as accurate as the battery ones, or eventually become inaccurate, and they have to take them to a watch repairer to have springs adjusted when they start losing time.And unlike the old days when there were heaps of watch repairers around for mechanical/automatic watches, there aren't that many around nowadays.
    Regards,
    Renato

i switched to solar watches after not wanting to change batteries or getting automatics serviced.
    Currently wearing: Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by skism View Post
    i switched to solar watches after not wanting to change batteries or getting automatics serviced.
    I have a G Shock 6900 Atomic Solar it does it’s own thing I just clean it as needed and enjoy it one of my favorite watches.
    Current Top Favorites:

Ralph Lauren Polo
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Chanel Bleu De Chanel EDT
    Chanel Egoiste
    Givenchy Gentleman EDT Originale
    Costume National Homme
    Hermes Bel Ami
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Caron Le 3čme Homme
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP
    Cartier Pasha De Cartier Parfum
    Salvatore Ferragamo F Pour Homme Black
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wood&leather View Post
    Just don't buy watches and your problem is solved.
    Currently wearing: Cuba by Czech & Speake

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Just don't buy watches and your problem is solved.
    This is the Fashion And Style forum.
    And some people like wearing multiple different watches for variety for the purpose of Fashion and Style, or even just for collecting.
    So I don't see how the problem is solved by suggesting people don't buy watches which they value for those purposes.
    Regards,
    Renato.