Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Elysium Parfum Cologne - Is This a Joke?

Trying it from an official spray sample...

It doesn't smell bad, but my goodness, this is mundane.

This is all you get, for that price?
    A fragrance with lower performance than most designers.
    This is basically a thinned out Bleu de Chanel, with some extra citrus and a slight reference to Aventus.

How is this even possible?
    A thin, mega simplistic, underperforming citrus for €270.
    How can anyone believe these Youtube reviewers anymore?
    Are they all getting bribed?

Default Re: Elysium Parfum Cologne - Is This a Joke?

Not to be flippant, but just like anything else...

In terms of performance, I do get about 6 to 8 hours FWIW. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Zadig & Voltaire This is Him!
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa
    Currently wearing: Open by Roger & Gallet

Basenotes Plus

I've tried to find a reason to buy a Roja fragrance. But, like the OP, I just haven't smelled something that justifies the price tag. Elysium is nice. I think several Roja fragrances are "nice". But not $400+ nice. The OP is correct that Elysium is a slightly fancier Bleu de Chanel. And even Bleu de Chanel for me was 'meh', it's nice but so many others are ones I reach for. If I'm going to spend that much, I have to justify it in my mind. For instance, my pricey purchase of Clive Christian Crab Apple Blossom at first seemed really good, but after wearing it for the first time this Spring, it's not as great as I initially thought. I likely burned over $300 for something that will only get a rare wearing here and there. I will still wear it and I like it still, but when I bought it I thought it would be a 'love'. Sigh. Fragrances are complicated. Even experienced fragrances lovers can both over and under estimate how much we will really enjoy them. I'm not selling the Crab Apple Blossom though and I hope subsequent wearings excite me more.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I thought it was OK when I tried it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Junkie

Recently sampled as well and was very underwhelmed. It is the only thing I’ve tried from Roja so far and I have to wonder if it was made by a regular designer house if it would be as popular. Not giving it hate but I doubt I reach for it with the intent to wear it instead of test it. But to each their own, there are many I love other people don’t like.

Basenotes Plus

I have a decant and, like others have said, it is OK. Nothing special, that's for sure. I guess it is just human nature to expect more from something that costs big money and on that score, I find a lot of Roja stuff fails to deliver (but I do like Oligarch, so go figure).

I also think that some folks tend to make excuses for shortcomings in expensive things. Have you ever been at a table where someone orders a pricey but mediocre bottle and everyone says how great it is while you think "meh? Same phenomenon. There will always be folks for whom price equals quality and some of them have YouTube channels. I wish more reviewers included price-dependent judgments in reviews. Of course, we all buy our frags, we are not given them by producers looking for exposure.

I recently sold mine off for the reasons mentioned. I love Creation E and Danger colognes, though. Elysium Cologne is a fleeting tease of a fragrance.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    Trying it from an official spray sample...

It doesn't smell bad, but my goodness, this is mundane.

A fragrance with lower performance than most designers.
    This is basically a thinned out Bleu de Chanel, with some extra citrus and a slight reference to Aventus.

How is this even possible?
    A thin, mega simplistic, underperforming citrus for €270.
    How can anyone believe these Youtube reviewers anymore?
    Are they all getting bribed?
    You are spot on.
    You are better off spending your money elsewhere.
    Currently wearing: Insensé by Givenchy

That's Roja Dove for you.

Lots of people think that when something is expensive then that automatically means it's good.

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    Not to be flippant, but just like anything else...

In terms of performance, I do get about 6 to 8 hours FWIW. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    You know, I tried Elysium through his Parfum Cologne discovery box.
    Paid €50 for it.

A part of the spray nozzle of one of these samples actually fell out of the sprayer.
    Not even when spraying it, I was just taking it out of the box.
    This sample is not spraying a fine mist, it's basically gushing out and throwing up perfume.
    I have never in my life had this problem, and I tried samples from a lot of houses.

To come back to Elysium.

I don't mind it when a niche house makes something with a similar formula as a designer.
    If it is an improvement.
    Look at what Xerjoff did with Pure Havane.

In this case, Roja actually thinned-out Bleu de Chanel and sprinkled some Aventus on top of it.
    So he is copying an existing designer concept, but lowering the performance?
    He is lowering the quality of the designer fragrance he is copying, and adding an insane markup to that?
    Well, I'm baffled. And honestly, I'm disgusted.
    I don't like to be treated as the dumb, unwashed masses.

Roja is convincing me to buy the actual Bleu de Chanel.

So this bespoke perfumery, working with the highest quality of materials, is actually:

1. Offering designers with lower quality.
    2. The samples are falling apart in your hands.

This brand is 15% about fragrance and 85% about marketing. And I'm being kind.

If he has satisfied customers and he is doing good business-wise, honestly my hat's off to him.
    If he can get away with this, well I guess I'm the dumb one and he is the genius.

Bleu Parfum is really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I'm honestly thinking about buying this one.

Elysium Parfum Cologne is a joke when it comes to performance, no doubt.

It took me a while to the get the Extrait on board, but glad that I did.

Its much richer, spicier and much better lasting.

You know, I tried Elysium through his Parfum Cologne discovery box.
    Paid €50 for it.

A part of the spray nozzle of one of these samples actually fell out of the sprayer.
    Not even when spraying it, I was just taking it out of the box.
    This sample is not spraying a fine mist, it's basically gushing out and throwing up perfume.
    I have never in my life had this problem, and I tried samples from a lot of houses.

To come back to Elysium.

I don't mind it when a niche house makes something with a similar formula as a designer.
    If it is an improvement.
    Look at what Xerjoff did with Pure Havane.

In this case, Roja actually thinned-out Bleu de Chanel and sprinkled some Aventus on top of it.
    So he is copying an existing designer concept, but lowering the performance?
    He is lowering the quality of the designer fragrance he is copying, and adding an insane markup to that?
    Well, I'm baffled. And honestly, I'm disgusted.
    I don't like to be treated as the dumb, unwashed masses.

Roja is convincing me to buy the actual Bleu de Chanel.

So this bespoke perfumery, working with the highest quality of materials, is actually:

This brand is 15% about fragrance and 85% about marketing. And I'm being kind.

If he has satisfied customers and he is doing good business-wise, honestly my hat's off to him.
    If he can get away with this, well I guess I'm the dumb one and he is the genius.
    Well, first off, sorry about your experience. I would be pretty ticked off too if my sprayer did that after paying 50 euros for it. In fact, I would demand a new one or get my money back. I exchanged a Roja bottle because the metallish plaque on the bottle was crooked, so I demand quality there as well for the prices they're asking.

Now for the juice itself. I think it's fair to say that, in comparison to everything else coming from the house, it may not be the most complex or inspired. I get that. I wouldn't go as far as to say that it's a thinned out BDC with a sprinkle of Aventus...and I know you're not being literal (maybe ). I don't think he's treating you as part of the dumb, unwashed masses. If you don't like it, it's a pass for you. I liked it enough that for the price I paid, it was worth it to add to the collection.

That's really my main point. If you don't like it, don't buy it. It has its fans, just like anything else around here.

By the way, you contradicted yourself here:

Top 5 Current Obsessions
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

Those velour jackets and silk ascots of his don't pay for themselves you know.
    Current Winter Favorites:

1. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    2. Brückner - Aoud 1
    3. Creed - Royal Oud
    4. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Generation Man
    5. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    6. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    7. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Mortal Skin
    8. Creed - Royal English Leather
    9. Creed - Bois du Portugal
    10. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions

Sound Scents

The extrait version of Elysium Parfum smells a lot better, IMO. When I tried the Parfum Cologne, I just shrugged my shoulders at the counter rep due to it smelling so bland and unimpressive.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Jasmin Antique (Rogue Perfumery)

3) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    3) Giorgio V.I.P. Special Reserve (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie

5) Dia pour Homme vintage edt (Amouage)

6) Nombre Noir (Shiseido)
    7) Lucifer (Renaissance Fragrances)
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren)
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy)
    10)Javanese Patchouli (Zegna)

Blog Entries

It's an age old conundrum. Evaluate the scent first and foremost, and then decide if it fits your value proposition methodology. If value proposition was the only factor, then everybody would be wearing only Bogart. I am pretty sure a lot of the people who are commenting "it ain't worth it", would jump on this immediately if they find it for $100. What value does something offer comes later. Smell comes first.

I too was underwhelmed by the PC version of Elysium. It came across as a boring designer fragrance to me. Not bad smelling, just nothing to write home about. The extrait version is far superior IMO.

For the price, Bleu Parfum performs well if you're into that type of scent. Fortunately for me, I am into that type of scent and Bleu Parfum is my current fave out of that line. I also own Elysium Parfum Cologne and it hits in the same way - fresh, citrus leaning with a pretty descent dry down. I like both, but can see why people are not enamored with the retail price of Elysium Parfum Cologne, which is double the same size as Bleu Parfum; which in itself is a premium over the Bleu de Chanel EDP (also good btw). Sorta in the same family, I've found myself enjoying Missoni Pour Homme which I found also for cheap in a TJ Maxx and it fits in the same genre but just a bit more floral on the dry down.

These scents of this style can be hit or miss; they hit a pretty solid like for me though. Modern freshies is sorta "my thing" though.

Would love to know what you're looking for exactly and what you end up with. Keep us posted!
    "Work saves us from three great evils: boredom, vice and need" - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    Sorta in the same family, I've found myself enjoying Missoni Pour Homme
    Probably the best buy in that category right now. The shower gel is also very nice.

Probably the best buy in that category right now. The shower gel is also very nice.
    Oh? Will be on the lookout for the shower gel then. Thanks for the pointer.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

No regrets here! The transnatural sandalwood accord is true parfum-level in both strength and endurance, without turning bad in any way. Reminds me of No. 5 parfum in terms of persistent faithfulness to the defining accords. Quality base - worth the investment!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

Terribly overpriced and mediocre brand, no surprise there.

I just tried Reckless Homme Parfum from a 5 ml vial. I didn't like it at all. This is my first Roja Dove encounter, but for a long time the last one, as well.

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

Definitely low on sillage but detectable for me 7-8 hours in, but only really when heat is a factor. This isn't a cooler month scent at all.

In terms of value, Bleu de Chanel (or standard-line Chanel in general) is gonna spank Roja Parfums all day long and make it say "uncle" (or is that "daddy"?), but that's the way of things when comparing apples and oranges in this hobby.

If you compared apples to apples with Chanel (i.e. Elysium to Chanel Eau de Cologne from the Exclusifs range), you'd see Roja actually comes out on top, as Chanel EdC at $250 for 75ml performs worse and gives less per ml for dollar spent.

Niche is weird like that. Pricing/value is all over the place.
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Varanis Ridari View Post

If you compared apples to apples with Chanel (i.e. Elysium to Chanel Eau de Cologne from the Exclusifs range), you'd see Roja actually comes out on top, as Chanel EdC at $250 for 75ml performs worse and gives less per ml for dollar spent.
    If that's the closer comparison, then perhaps the basic proposition works for me as well. How are the floral aspects of the Roja? For me, that is what makes the Chanel cologne so great. Even in aged EdC, where the best citrus sparkle is long gone, the floral aspects remain near perfect, and utterly redeeming for me.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    I just tried Reckless Homme Parfum from a 5 ml vial. I didn't like it at all. This is my first Roja Dove encounter, but for a long time the last one, as well.
    Reckless hits like an older fragrance. Not sure which, but reminded me of something my father wore when I was a child - late 70's, early 80's era.

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    If that's the closer comparison, then perhaps the basic proposition works for me as well. How are the floral aspects of the Roja? For me, that is what makes the Chanel cologne so great. Even in aged EdC, where the best citrus sparkle is long gone, the floral aspects remain near perfect, and utterly redeeming for me.
    Elysium becomes mostly about Litsea cubeba (a favored floral of Dove as it extends citrus notes) and geranium late in the wear, and rides over the ambergris/ambrox base like that. It's definitely more stereotypically a "bro" scent that way, and not as classical (or arguably classy) as Chanel EdC.
    Formerly Zealot Crusader

Quote Originally Posted by Varanis Ridari View Post
    Definitely low on sillage but detectable for me 7-8 hours in, but only really when heat is a factor. This isn't a cooler month scent at all.

In terms of value, Bleu de Chanel (or standard-line Chanel in general) is gonna spank Roja Parfums all day long and make it say "uncle" (or is that "daddy"?), but that's the way of things when comparing apples and oranges in this hobby.

Niche is weird like that. Pricing/value is all over the place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Between those two, I would take Eau de Cologne quite easily despite the lackluster (worse) performance.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    Between those two, I would take Eau de Cologne quite easily despite the lackluster (worse) performance.
    I tend to think the Chanel is more interesting too. I'm not afraid of neroli and white florals.
    Formerly Zealot Crusader