Code of Conduct

Red face Recommandations of special fragrances for a SPECIAL day

Hi everyone,

So, in August, it is the big day! After some delay and waiting, we can look forward for our wedding in August
    Could you maybe help us find some sampling to do (or purchase?) for both me AND my fiancée?

Since the wedding is at 11am and in summer, we would like to wear something somewhat fresh but NOT a straight up citrus (like Dior Homme Cologne) or aquatic (cool water hello-goodby). Just not the ultra heavy or cloying fragrances. It also should perform ok because we'll be up on our feet the whole day. However, sillage is NOT that important (it still just for us). It might be very warm but might also be 18ºC raining... Belgium man, who knows...

She likes Florientals, rose, vanillas with twists and/or powdery scents (not only powdery, she was for instance bored with musk and teint de neige by Villerosi)
    I like aromatic and/or spicy fragrances

Her signature scents: Bloom by Gucci and Gris Charnel by BDK
    Mine: New York Intense by PdN and 1725 by HdP

ALREADY ON MY SAMPLE TO BUY LIST:
    Une ROSE DE KANDAHAR by Tauer,
    ROYAL OUD and SPICE&WOOD by Creed,
    AMBER OUD by PdN,
    HALFETI by Penhaligon,
    ARCHITECTS CLUB by Arquiste,
    DRYAD and SALOME by Papillon Perfumers
    NAXOS by Xerjoff
    CARNAL FLOWER by F. Malle
    LYRIC MAN by Amouage
    ELIXIR DES MERVEILLES by Hermes

(as to anticipate some suggestions) HERE ARE SOME THAT I ALREADY SAMPLED AND DID NOT ENJOY:
    REFLECTION MAN and DIA MAN by Amouage (Reflection felt synthetic and not worth the price - Dia I just did not understand, was ok)
    AVENTUS and SMW by Creed (just not my DNA scent)
    GIT (Is good, but I find it bit too classic or even generic -- do not shoot me)
    FEMINITE DU BOIS (Plum has weird effect on my skins)
    PORTRAIT OF A LADY by Malle (Another one I do not really get - It is good, but I mostly get Rose-Raspberry-Patchouli which does not suit me or my fiancé)
    GANYMEDE by Marc Antoine Barrois (not bad, just too cold and metalic on my skin)

They are all Niche because it is easier to purchase 2ml's and sample a few time on skin while stores are still closed here because of Covid

Default Re: Recommandations of special fragrances for a SPECIAL day

Congrats on the upcoming nuptials! Hope it all goes well for you.

I would suggest Bleu de Chanel Parfum is perfect for your climate over in Belgium and for the time of year. This one works surprisingly well at that time of year.

If it does end up being a touch on the cool side, or if you fancy splurging out, Spice & Wood is my recommendation from your list.

For your mrs-to-be, I'd suggest something from the Tom Ford Noir range. It has 'soapy' and 'rose' written all over it!

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

For you: Patchouli Intense (Nicolai), Antico Caruso (Profumum), Epice Marine, Vetiver Tonka

For her: La Fille de Berlin, Une Rose (Malle), Dries Van Noten, Ambre Narguilé

Congrats!

No real suggestions at the moment, but if you sample Royal Oud, please also give French Lover a try, which I find much better.

If you could find, L'eau by tauer, maybe Divine by Divine, XXY by xerjoff, amber aoud by roja.

I think thqt ultimately otoman 2 empire and Siberian musk 2 is like a wedding duo.

Congrats!!

The first thing that came to mind for the situation/weather was Lyric, and found that in your list so I'll echo it.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Zadig & Voltaire This is Him!
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa
    Currently wearing: Fleur de Peau by Diptyque

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by ImaFedec View Post
    London Tweed by Memo - aromatic and spicy and congrats to you both!
    Last edited by hednic; 20th April 2021 at 09:46 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

for you - patchouli intense by nicolai and royal oud by creed are both worth a try

Hey, thanks for the nice comments all
    so will reply to all in this post:

.Patchouli Intense has been recommanded few times but, unfortunetely, I tested in but it did not suit me. It is a good scent, but not for me... I am very instinctive with those things so sorry if i can't detail exactly why...
    .Bleu de chanel is also a no go but for different reason. Let's say that this fragrance... Has history
    .Will give French Lover a try, passed my mind a few times!
    .She does love Ambre Narguile so right on, but just a bit afraid that it might be too strong/cloying. Others suggestions (for her and me) look enteresting!
    .London Tweed and the Areej le Dore do look good too!
    .Roja Amber Aoud always was there, somewhere, it is just outrageously expensive even just to sample :0 Will check out the xerjof, divine divine and l'eau.
    .I know TF Noir de Noir, which was good, but do not know the others...

Congrats!

Amouage tends to do big/celebratory perfumes well. I second Lyric man: relatively big, but not heavy and with fresh notes. Another "fresher" Amouage is Silver, though I do not know the current status.

For her, among fresh roses, I like Kurkdjian Ode a la rose. Not much vanilla though.

cacio

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Forgot to say congrats!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post

I would suggest Bleu de Chanel Parfum is perfect for your climate over in Belgium and for the time of year. This one works surprisingly well at that time of year.

That's what I might very well grab for myself!

And if something more retro is more appealing, then I was thinking Chanel Antaeus, which I see as an inspiration for some of the spicy and woody aspects of BdC Parfum.

Hey, thanks for the nice comments all
    so will reply to all in this post:

.Bleu de chanel is also a no go but for different reason. Let's say that this fragrance... Has history

OH WELL!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

Congrats!

My suggestion would be Guerlain Heritage EDT and Chanel Egoiste EDT
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

She likes Florientals, rose, vanillas with twists and/or powdery scents (not only powdery, she was for instance bored with musk and teint de neige by Villerosi)
    You just described this to a "T."

hohang.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Congrats!

Amouage tends to do big/celebratory perfumes well. I second Lyric man: relatively big, but not heavy and with fresh notes. Another "fresher" Amouage is Silver, though I do not know the current status.

For her, among fresh roses, I like Kurkdjian Ode a la rose. Not much vanilla though.

cacio
    Is it "silver Cologne"? Had to check on fragrantica. Looks like an unpretentious happy fragrance might reach for a sample indeed
    And you're right on with the MFK suggestion, I recently ordered the 4 samples set of MFK and it had A La Rose, was her favourite but she wasn't sure if the price was worth it

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Forgot to say congrats!
    Thank you, kind of you

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    That's what I might very well grab for myself!

And if something more retro is more appealing, then I was thinking Chanel Antaeus, which I see as an inspiration for some of the spicy and woody aspects of BdC Parfum.

OH WELL!
    Hehe yeah, the thing is that I do like Bleu de Chanel (although not the bigget fan of blue fragrance in general). It is just not possible

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Congrats!

My suggestion would be Guerlain Heritage EDT and Chanel Egoiste EDT
    Need to rediscover those 2, shops might open again on the 29th.

Quote Originally Posted by ascotnot View Post
    You just described this to a "T."

hohang.jpg
    Never encountered it.. But the notes do look something right into my alley!

Quote Originally Posted by Mak-7 View Post
    If you could find, L'eau by tauer, maybe Divine by Divine, XXY by xerjoff, amber aoud by roja.

I think thqt ultimately otoman 2 empire and Siberian musk 2 is like a wedding duo.
    Just ordered the 4 samples pack including Naxos, Pikovaya Dama, Nio and XXY Will keep posted

Ambre Nuit by Christian Dior would be a wonderful wedding day scent, for your wife or yourself. That’s one I could see myself wearing. It’s a wonderful rose fragrance.
    I see you have Carnal flower on the sample list, that’s a great one as well. Also from Malle worth trying is Rose & Cuir, Un rose and Iris Poudre. Iris Poudre is one of the prettiest fragrances I’ve ever smelled, though I don’t know if either of you would want to wear something powdery in august. Might be fine that early in the day. It’s absolutely a wedding day worthy perfum.

Miss Dior Le Parfum would certainly be wedding day worthy. It’s discontinued but you can still easily find samples & bottles on eBay and whatnot.
    Maybe Nahema by Guerlain?

For yourself, I’d explore more of the creeds, like Pure White Cologne. I think you might really like that one based on your mention of Dior Homme cologne.

There’s a number of MFK fragrances in the aqua range that might suite you as well.

Yes, Silver has been called slightly different names, but it is this one:
    https://www.amouage.com/silver-man.html

The original used to be glorious and radiant. When I resmelled a few years ago it seemed to have lost some oomph, but it was still good.

Kurkdjian is indeed quite expensive. It did last well on me, something which rose doesn't always do, so it might be worth to check how much it lasts on her.

cacio

Congratulations
    I would recommend sampling Creed's Spice & Wood and Royal Oud. I think both are fitting for such and occasion.

Congratulations!

Apart from so many great recommendations already, also adding:

for her- l'Occitane Ambre & Santal, Songe d'un Bois d'Ete by Guerlain and in fact many both classic and contemporary, both regular line and designer exclusive/niche tier Guerlains, Escale a Pondichery by Dior
    for you- seconding French Lover while also adding Opus 1870 by Penhaligon's, Yatagan by Caron, Ginepro Nero bv l'Erbolario, Duc de Vervins by Houbigant, Eau Sauvage Parfum

Basenotes Institution

Congrats. Royal Oud would be a good choice. For the future wife, you may want to check the Female Fragrance Section. I'm sure the ladies could come up with nice picks!

I like the French Lover recommendations, but for me, the first idea that came to mind was pairing Narcisco Rodriguez fragrances: perhaps, for instance, Bleu Noir for you. I unfortunately don’t know the women’s side all that well to make a recommendation, but For Her is well-regarded. With Bleu Noir, you’d start out somewhat spicey for the ceremony but dry down to a sensual musk for the evening’s festivities. It wears fairly light.

Another similar recommendation would be something in Cartier’s Declaration line.
    Currently wearing: Spicebomb by Viktor & Rolf

New York Intense
    Creed Royal Oud

I’d go with either of those they are as formal as you can get and smell excellent perfect for a wedding fragrance.

You might wanna check out Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum 2017 it’s quite nice and will also fit that day and time of the year perfectly.

Her:

Chanel Coco Mademoiselle Intense
    Chanel Coco Noir
    Montale Roses Musk
    Guerlain Mon Guerlain
    Current Top Favorites:

Ralph Lauren Polo
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Chanel Bleu De Chanel EDT
    Chanel Egoiste
    Costume National Homme
    Hermes Bel Ami
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Caron Le 3ème Homme
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP
    Cartier Pasha De Cartier Parfum
    Currently wearing: Pasha Parfum by Cartier

You, beyond Lyric, Journey Man and why not Jubilattion XXV (it’s classy and versatile imo). Ex-Nihilo French Affair, Hermès Epice Marine, Cartier Déclaration or Déclaration Essence, Serge Lutens Arabie, Etro Messe de Minuit.
    Her: Dior Oud Ispahan, Guerlain Insolence EDP, ELDO Putain des Palaces, Byredo Rose of No Man’s Land, Hermès Rose Ikebana and Amber Narguilé, Lutens La Fille en Berlin and Un Bois Vanille, Mona do Orio Vanille, Guerlain Shalimar and L’Heure de Nuit, Xerjoff Damarose, Tauer Phi Une Rose de Kandahar, Incense Rose and Une Rose Vermeille (Tauer has excellent roses imo), Kilian Rose Oud, Tiziana Terenzi Eclix.
    Last edited by Beck; 22nd April 2021 at 03:58 AM.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.
    Currently wearing: Rochas Man by Rochas

A lot of recommendation guys thank you all so much. I will soon order around 16 fragrance samples (most suggested here) that will arrive in around 2 weeks, will keep you then posted

I'll add to the votes for Royal Oud, French Lover, Egoiste and Spice & Wood.
    (The last one is outrageously expensive, but if there was ever a time . One of my personal favourites).

Congratulations!

Congratulations. Let us know what you decide upon.
    I suggest:
    Shalimar and Derby for a complimentary pair

Quote Originally Posted by TT2450 View Post
    I'll add to the votes for Royal Oud, French Lover, Egoiste and Spice & Wood.
    (The last one is outrageously expensive, but if there was ever a time . One of my personal favourites).

Congratulations!
    That is not an issue, in "worst" case scenario I can use up my 2ml sample. It should be plenty enough

I think Carnal Flower and Ambre Nuit would be wonderful options for either of you.

That is not an issue, in "worst" case scenario I can use up my 2ml sample. It should be plenty enough
    Good point, if it's exclusively for this occasion the sample will certainly suffice

Congrats for your wedding! The goal is: make her happy. So acccording to your list, I'd suggest:

ALREADY ON MY SAMPLE TO BUY LIST:
    Une ROSE DE KANDAHAR by Tauer,
    HALFETI by Penhaligon,
    ARCHITECTS CLUB by Arquiste,
    Since she's into vanilla you might also want to try

Tiziana Terenzi - Dionisio
    Kerosene - Broken Theories
    E. Zegna - Passion (hard to find though)

And for a daring floriental:

Franck Boclet - Just

She might want to wear
    Franck Boclet - Married

Just and Married were blended for Franck Boclet himself, for his own wedding.
    Currently wearing: Open by Roger & Gallet