Code of Conduct

Default Mango leaf absolute

Somehow I’ve never even smelled this material! Slipped through the cracks I guess. I’m ordering it today, but I’m interested in how or if people use it or if there are any common fragrances centered around it..?? From the few descriptions I’ve found online I guess it’s slightly (and ambiguously) fruity with leathery nuances..?? Is it’s green? Does it have the piney-terpeney note of some mangos?
    Last edited by Sicomoro; 21st April 2021 at 05:55 PM. Reason: mistype

Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: Mango leaf absolute

Are you getting it from hermitage?
    I have it: I find it green with no sharpness, with a sweetness that isn’t strong- and that creates a new leather vibe, but it’s fresher than leather, it’s obviously from plant origin and doesn’t have the tannin bitterness. At 50% it is vibrant dark green and sticky.
    It seems more complex , even a floral edge - but I’d have to dilute it. 2 knobs after not working 1 year - my brain is shot- so dilution for another day.
    Editing post: it grows more diffusive- it becomes bigger

Quote Originally Posted by Jolieo View Post
    Are you getting it from hermitage?
    I have it: I find it green with no sharpness, with a sweetness that isn’t strong- and that creates a new leather vibe, but it’s fresher than leather, it’s obviously from plant origin and doesn’t have the tannin bitterness. At 50% it is vibrant dark green and sticky.
    It seems more complex , even a floral edge - but I’d have to dilute it. 2 knobs after not working 1 year - my brain is shot- so dilution for another day.
    Editing post: it grows more diffusive- it becomes bigger
    Possibly going for the J Steele product on PA. So it’s more leathery than green? Would you use it as an herbaceous note or a suederal replacer? Or is it more galbanum green? Well, I guess the classic impossibility of describing something with text is upon us..

Do you ever find yourself using it?

I have the John Steele but don't prefer it. It is much "heavier" than the WLA (no longer available) and as personal opinion and with regard to personal skill set I don't think I would be able to use it except in quite low percentage of formula and perhaps only as a modifier, while the WLA I have used at 10 percent and up. Far easier to work with. A wonderful fresh green that is easily compatible with many materials. While I don't buy Hermitage myself, and have no experience with their Mango Leaf, I'd estimate the Hermitage would in this case and perhaps only this case be a worthwhile gamble over the John Steele. Unless you receive other information.

Ordinarily, I'm a big John Steele fan, but not on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Roberts View Post
    I have the John Steele but don't prefer it. It is much "heavier" than the WLA (no longer available) and as personal opinion and with regard to personal skill set I don't think I would be able to use it except in quite low percentage of formula and perhaps only as a modifier, while the WLA I have used at 10 percent and up. Far easier to work with. A wonderful fresh green that is easily compatible with many materials. While I don't buy Hermitage myself, and have no experience with their Mango Leaf, I'd estimate the Hermitage would in this case and perhaps only this case be a worthwhile gamble over the John Steele. Unless you receive other information.

I appreciate your opinion as per usual and am glad I didn’t confirm my order yet. I’ll just skip it for now.

There are tons of mangos in my neighborhood, maybe it would be worth my time to experiment with tincturing those..

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Roberts View Post

I already started a thread on mango leaf abs some time ago.
    https://www.basenotes.net/threads/46...-(and-friends)

The one i got from HO matches also with the description by Bill on the WLA one,
    in the sense you can use a lot and you can easily blend with many materials.

Looks like it is quite a rarely used materials , although being a wonderful one,
    cause it's pretty difficult to find examples on usage or other info.

Saluti,
    Pierpaolo
    Last edited by pierpaolo72; 22nd April 2021 at 07:30 AM. Reason: typo

Basenotes Junkie

The hermitage isn’t green like galbanum- it’s not that big to start- and when it grows it’s still less of a scent- the leather is a juxtaposition of green and sweet , probably a few other molecules too. I could send you a sample if you like, just pm me your address.
    In case any feels that it’s overly generous or weird that I offer samples: I am being entirely self serving- I don’t have a handle on these materials, so the more people that have the same as me , and can tell me what they think the better.

Quote Originally Posted by pierpaolo72 View Post
    I already started a thread on mango leaf abs some time ago.
    https://www.basenotes.net/threads/46...-(and-friends)

The one i got from HO matches also with the description by Bill on the WLA one,
    in the sense you can use a lot and you can easily blend with many materials.

Looks like it is quite a rarely used materials , although being a wonderful one,
    cause it's pretty difficult to find examples on usage or other info.

Saluti,
    Pierpaolo
    Thanks for linking. I did actually search before I posted (surprise lol) but I didn’t find your thread! Does everyone use google to search basenotes? The forum tools seem poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolieo View Post
    The hermitage isn’t green like galbanum- it’s not that big to start- and when it grows it’s still less of a scent- the leather is a juxtaposition of green and sweet , probably a few other molecules too. I could send you a sample if you like, just pm me your address.
    In case any feels that it’s overly generous or weird that I offer samples: I am being entirely self serving- I don’t have a handle on these materials, so the more people that have the same as me , and can tell me what they think the better.
    That’s super awesome of you and not weird at all. I’m similar when it comes to offering materials or technical consultations (my main trade). I’ll dm ya. I wonder if there’s any material I have that I could send to say thx
    Last edited by Sicomoro; 22nd April 2021 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Formatting