Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default I just noticed something in my wardrobe..

I hit 400..

Time for therapy..
    All Time Top 10: Fahrenheit, Fahrenheit Absolute, Corduroy, Seduction in Black, Itasca, Arpege pH, Burberry London, Spark Seduction, Paul Smith Man, Eau des Baux
    Currently wearing: Cool Water by Davidoff

Default Re: I just noticed something in my wardrobe..

Wow.

I've put the brakes on myself at 150 or so. Can't imagine 400.

The number of bottles I have doesn't bother me per se. It's more the realization that I have dozens and dozens I really like and no time to wear them. (And lately no place to wear them....)
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Congratulations... I guess?

As long as it doesn't cause you issues or financial hardship, I don't see this as a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    The number of bottles I have doesn't bother me per se. It's more the realization that I have dozens and dozens I really like and no time to wear them. (And lately no place to wear them....)
    that's when over spraying kicks in!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    Congratulations... I guess?

As long as it doesn't cause you issues or financial hardship, I don't see this as a bad thing.
    Not anymore thanks to Dogecoin.
    All Time Top 10: Fahrenheit, Fahrenheit Absolute, Corduroy, Seduction in Black, Itasca, Arpege pH, Burberry London, Spark Seduction, Paul Smith Man, Eau des Baux

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I hit 400..

Time for therapy..
    By reading the title, I thought you were going to say 'I saw a cockroach' or so...

Wow.

Yes, same for me. Working on downsizing for that reason.

150 was the mark I hit as well that made me stop buying and start considering more.

I thought that was going to happen around 50, but there were too many vintages, too many moderns, and too many in between that I had to try. I am glad I did. I know more about what I like and dont like out of experience.

If I had 400 and no pets, I would overspray and walk around in my house like a Sultan.

I can't imagine myself with 100 let alone 400.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I've crossed over to 300 myself recently, but that's counting travel sprays, etc. also. If I go 30ml and above only then it's just under 300. It is overwhelming looking at what I have and deciding what to wear. lol I even do SOTW, so there are fragrances that might not get worn year to year. I guess that's the first step in deciding which ones should go.

I can see, when first starting the hobby, one can amass a bunch quickly. I bought a lot of cheapie recommendations, trying to find my preferences, etc. After the first year, I started zeroing in on more preferential choices. Then, I started looking at my collection and decided that I would easily trade 5 or 6 of what I have to get a more expensive fragrance that I preferred. So, I started being more selective and saved up for ones I really wanted...while reducing my blind-buying and impulse purchases (especially at the local discounters). Again, the philosophy being I'd rather save up for something in my wishlist that cost more and find more enjoyment from.

That's been the approach for the past 1.5 to 2 years, though I've been on a blind buy spree again lately. Hard to control that rush.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Zadig & Voltaire This is Him!
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BlindFuryFragFanatic View Post
    150 was the mark I hit as well that made me stop buying and start considering more.

I thought that was going to happen around 50, but there were too many vintages, too many moderns, and too many in between that I had to try. I am glad I did. I know more about what I like and dont like out of experience.

If I had 400 and no pets, I would overspray and walk around in my house like a Sultan.
    135 for me. And Sultan Rüssel doused himself with Zino today.

Apparently I'm down to 130.

What do you think the average cost is? Is a bulk just cheap in the $20-40 range? It's incredible to think at an average of $100 per perfume you're sitting on 40k worth a fragrance.

Not anymore thanks to Dogecoin.
    I'm more of an ETH hodler myself because I'm risk averse, but if you managed to make money off DOGE when it rallied, then good on you

400? That would be a challenge for me to find a place to put them all....much less to find them all.

But then I save boxes.
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I can't imagine myself with 100 let alone 400.
    I would imagine you to have way more!

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    I've crossed over to 300 myself recently, but that's counting travel sprays, etc. also. If I go 30ml and above only then it's just under 300. It is overwhelming looking at what I have and deciding what to wear. lol I even do SOTW, so there are fragrances that might not get worn year to year. I guess that's the first step in deciding which ones should go.

I can see, when first starting the hobby, one can amass a bunch quickly. I bought a lot of cheapie recommendations, trying to find my preferences, etc. After the first year, I started zeroing in on more preferential choices. Then, I started looking at my collection and decided that I would easily trade 5 or 6 of what I have to get a more expensive fragrance that I preferred. So, I started being more selective and saved up for ones I really wanted...while reducing my blind-buying and impulse purchases (especially at the local discounters). Again, the philosophy being I'd rather save up for something in my wishlist that cost more and find more enjoyment from.

That's been the approach for the past 1.5 to 2 years, though I've been on a blind buy spree again lately. Hard to control that rush.
    I agree with everything you said, and my journey mimics yours to a T. The only difference is mine has been over more of a 15 year span I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWineMemories View Post
    What do you think the average cost is? Is a bulk just cheap in the $20-40 range? It's incredible to think at an average of $100 per perfume you're sitting on 40k worth a fragrance.
    Well, I do have a lot in that $20 to $40 range. Like deltasun though, as the years progressed, I began going more after higher quality fragrances and not so much caring about money. I just got bored of the same old stuff, and although I have a lot of awesome cheapies, many of which were total hidden gems with no feedback that I discovered on my own.. I definitely do have a very diverse collection. The thrill of maybe finding a mind blowing frag in the under $30 range is amazing. I have taken that gamble many many times, and in the end it has added up. If I had to put a price on my collection, I would say it's probably worth about $25k. I also have about 100 backups, most are bnib, super expensive stuff like Ultrazest, which goes for upwards of $400 a bottle now, to a lot of things I just love, like I have about 3 back ups of Arpege, 10 backup bottles of Corduroy, maybe 5 back ups of Spark Seduction, and 3 Eau des Baux. Speaking of which, the first 3 listed, were all once available for under $20 a bottle, and have quite obviously become staples for me. Now if you were asking the actual retail price value of my collection, not including the upcharge of discontinued stuff, and including backups; well you figure, most fragrances with a designer label in a 3.3 oz size go from about $60-90 now, I would say retail value would then have to be upwards of 80-100k. Nobody buys everything at retail though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    I'm more of an ETH hodler myself because I'm risk averse, but if you managed to make money off DOGE when it rallied, then good on you
    I wish I got in on that too, but I do own a few of ETC, which has skyrocketed lately. I'm gonna hold that. Ya I bought Doge when it was less than a penny a stock, never even dreaming it would even hit a penny, nonetheless 46 cents!! I owned slightly less than $1,000 worth, bought most at a seventh of a cent I think, or it might of been 1/3 of a cent. Bought a few hundred more shares at 7 cents a piece when I saw they were on the rise. Watched them go up and down a bit, but kept holding. I still own about 1,000 shares, hoping it'll be turned into a legitimate currency or payment option for Amazon (they've already been discussing this). The stuff I sold, although it's in the process of migrating out of my portfolio, I could go crazy with buying stuff, instead I plan on paying off my college loans, some bills, and a ton of hospital bills. It's gonna be nice to have all that off my back finally. Might get a few really nice niche bottles too

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    400? That would be a challenge for me to find a place to put them all....much less to find them all.

But then I save boxes.
    It really is, it's the reason I can only rotate with about 50 of them.

I wonder how many bottles one would need to keep in one's house before it warranted sticking a "Danger: Hazardous Material" sign outside the house, in case of fire?

400 100ml bottles does equal 40 litres of highly flammable material.
    Regards,
    Renato

I’m not old, I’m vintage.

My BN wardrobe says 541, but it must be closer to 600 because I have a fair number not yet in the directory.

So, you have some catching up to do.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I wish I got in on that too, but I do own a few of ETC, which has skyrocketed lately. I'm gonna hold that. Ya I bought Doge when it was less than a penny a stock, never even dreaming it would even hit a penny, nonetheless 46 cents!! I owned slightly less than $1,000 worth, bought most at a seventh of a cent I think, or it might of been 1/3 of a cent. Bought a few hundred more shares at 7 cents a piece when I saw they were on the rise. Watched them go up and down a bit, but kept holding. I still own about 1,000 shares, hoping it'll be turned into a legitimate currency or payment option for Amazon (they've already been discussing this). The stuff I sold, although it's in the process of migrating out of my portfolio, I could go crazy with buying stuff, instead I plan on paying off my college loans, some bills, and a ton of hospital bills. It's gonna be nice to have all that off my back finally. Might get a few really nice niche bottles too

It really is, it's the reason I can only rotate with about 50 of them.
    Congratulations! You deserve a break!

And congrats on 11K posts,too.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Slate by Banana Republic

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    My BN wardrobe says 541, but it must be closer to 600 because I have a fair number not yet in the directory.

So, you have some catching up to do.
    I think I'm seriously done at 500.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Congratulations! You deserve a break!

And congrats on 11K posts,too.
    Ah crap. Thanks RP! I wanted to stop at 10k, but a BN'er has to do, what a BN'er has to do!

Though as much as I love perfumes, my interest in BN deteriorates more and more by the day.

You're almost at the big 25k milestone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I wonder how many bottles one would need to keep in one's house before it warranted sticking a "Danger: Hazardous Material" sign outside the house, in case of fire?

400 100ml bottles does equal 40 litres of highly flammable material.
    Regards,
    Renato
    That's true. I'm actually paranoid about keeping butane and lighters in my room. I have a torch lighter than can burn through an aluminum soda can in a few seconds, and the flame shoots up about 6 inches.

I agree with this statement. I crossed over a hundred for the first time recently and it dawned on me that I have so many fragrances that I will never get to spend serious time wearing most of them. If you take into account sampling and exploring new houses, it leaves even less time to wear what I have.

Dependent

I would have an issue with the daily rotation, with the fact that, it would take over a year to wear the same fragrance!
    Currently wearing: Ombré Leather by Tom Ford

Basenotes Institution

Congrats and enjoy.....Well, at least what you can enjoy.

Congratulations on this milestone and wishing you to simply and fully enjoy what you own and wear, irrespective of the amount of bottles-as long as it makes you happy.

Basenotes Plus

Time for therapy..
    Yes. Of the fragrant kind...

Wow.

I thought the same till I looked at wardrobe and numbers don't lie!!! Well past 150. So then I thought no biggie, there are a bunch I want to unload just never get around to it. Quick scan and maybe only a dozen or those.... so I have a bunch more in two boxes that are the "try again and decide whether to keep" that aren't even in the wardrobe. One of these days will get to those..... maybe August!!
    Currently wearing: Worth pour Homme by Worth

Dependent

I start to hit the breaks when I reach a half dozen.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    I start to hit the breaks when I reach a half dozen.
    If I could do my life over, I think this would be what I would aspire to do also, but alas....
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.